HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Official NE Patriots Thread: 2009 Drive 4 SB 4(All Pats talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
OT: Official NE Patriots Thread: 2009 Drive 4 SB 4(All Pats talk here)

With the official start of training camp a few days away, I thought I'd open this thread up for discussion on the New England Patriots and their quest for a fourth Super Bowl.

Here's a link to some solid analysis by Globe scribe Mike Reiss to get us going:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...to_be_covered/

Old
07-28-2009, 03:28 PM
LordLucic*

I cannot wait for this season to start!

Old
07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
TuukkNukem

Call me spoiled, but it feels like forever since the Pats have won a Super Bowl.

For some reason I feel like this is the year to win it. Who knows how much longer the magic can last.

I'm still bitter about Super Bowl 42.

Old
07-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

I am incredibly excited about this upcoming season. a Retooled seondary, which was a glaring weakness last season will help, and obviously having Brady back in the fold can't hurt.

I am really interested to see what Patrick Chung and Darius Butler can do as well. I was looking forward to Tyrone McKenzie, but unfortunately he got hurt before he could even practice.

If Brady comes back to anything close to his 2007 form, I am predicting an early 13 wins, with the division crown. The playoffs will wait =)

Old
07-28-2009, 04:59 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
I am incredibly excited about this upcoming season. a Retooled seondary, which was a glaring weakness last season will help, and obviously having Brady back in the fold can't hurt.

I am really interested to see what Patrick Chung and Darius Butler can do as well. I was looking forward to Tyrone McKenzie, but unfortunately he got hurt before he could even practice.

If Brady comes back to anything close to his 2007 form, I am predicting an early 13 wins, with the division crown. The playoffs will wait =)
I had Tyrone McKenzie as a sleeper- to bad, but hopefully he'll be back next year with a full year of classroom under his belt.

This team has no glaring weakness and I've been told by more than one of my football loving Patriots and non Patriots friends they are better than the team that lost in the last minute to the Giants in the SB.

We'll see, but it is loaded and they are sitting with 4 picks in the first two rounds next year.

Old
07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
This team has no glaring weakness and I've been told by more than one of my football loving Patriots and non Patriots friends they are better than the team that lost in the last minute to the Giants in the SB.
Oh they absolutely are. That team was carried by the offense all season, and it really helped to mask their problems on defense, which became all too evident last year when the offense simply wasn't taking over games, even though it was very effective.

My only worry is OLB depth. You can only rely on re-signing Junior Seau and Rosey Colvin in November, so many times.

Old
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
If Tom Brady can come back from his knee injury the Pats have as good a shot at another SB win as anyone.

If he can't well I don't want to even think about it

Old
07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Ty Warren starting on the PUP list isn't great, but the way this team's shaping up right now is wicked exciting.

Brady being back is obviously the biggest thing, on several levels. Aside from the being healthy, he's got to be maybe the hungriest he's ever been. That's going to spell doom from the rest of the NFL. Couple that with Moss still needing a title (or two) and we're looking at a Top-5 D and O

Cannot wait til we kickoff. And we got to shut T.O. up right off the bat 1st week. Outstanding.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

Old
07-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

The more I look around the AFC, the only team that really actually scares me is Pittsburgh, as they should.

The AFC West is a joke, and ESPN ranking to Chargers so high in the power rankings is a shame. Talk about perennial underachievers. It's really a shame that much better teams had to miss the playoffs last year because the Chargers suck and managed to win a division at 8-8.

The Colts are still the Colts, but without Dungy running that team, it'll be interesting to see how to respond to their new head coach and offensive coordinator.

Aside from that? The Jets suck, Tennessee lost too much on defense to make up for their ****** offense, though they'll still be decent. Miami didn't really do much to improve, Buffalo still doesn't have a QB. Cinncy, Oakland, Kansas City, Cleveland will all be terrible once again.

Denver could surprise, but losing Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton is a huge step down. Baltimore also lost way too many players on defense to make up for their offense, even though Joe Flacco showed he belonged in the NFL last year.

Jacksonville and Houston are sleepers, but like the Chargers, I feel like I say that every year about Jacksonville and they always fail to prove me right. Houston actually has a legitimate shot to fight for the AFC South division title, but ultimately I think they will fall short, though I do believe they will make the playoffs as a 6th seed.

AFC East: Patriots
AFC North: Steelers
AFC South: Colts
AFC West: Chargers (at 9-7!)

WC: Titans, Texans, with Miami in the fold as well.

Old
07-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Choate51

I'll be at the game in Indy, it should be fun, I hope Manning and Co. goes down in a big ball of Lucas Oil Flame.

Old
07-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

As long as Welker's still with us I'm thinking we have a great season ahead of us.

Wes Welker is the man that made Matt Cassel work as well as he did. He is the Dustin Pedroia of the Patriots.

Old
07-29-2009, 01:23 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
The more I look around the AFC, the only team that really actually scares me is Pittsburgh, as they should.

The AFC West is a joke, and ESPN ranking to Chargers so high in the power rankings is a shame. Talk about perennial underachievers. It's really a shame that much better teams had to miss the playoffs last year because the Chargers suck and managed to win a division at 8-8.

The Colts are still the Colts, but without Dungy running that team, it'll be interesting to see how to respond to their new head coach and offensive coordinator.

Aside from that? The Jets suck, Tennessee lost too much on defense to make up for their ****** offense, though they'll still be decent. Miami didn't really do much to improve, Buffalo still doesn't have a QB. Cinncy, Oakland, Kansas City, Cleveland will all be terrible once again.

Denver could surprise, but losing Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton is a huge step down. Baltimore also lost way too many players on defense to make up for their offense, even though Joe Flacco showed he belonged in the NFL last year.

Jacksonville and Houston are sleepers, but like the Chargers, I feel like I say that every year about Jacksonville and they always fail to prove me right. Houston actually has a legitimate shot to fight for the AFC South division title, but ultimately I think they will fall short, though I do believe they will make the playoffs as a 6th seed.

AFC East: Patriots
AFC North: Steelers
AFC South: Colts
AFC West: Chargers (at 9-7!)

WC: Titans, Texans, with Miami in the fold as well.
We retooled our offensive line (adding Grove at center, Smiley is healthy and Carey is in his 2nd year at right tackle), that unit will be vastly improved (health pending).

Rebuilt the secondary, adding speed and athleticism (Smith and Davis at corner (rookies) and Gibril Wilson at safety). One of the Phins weaknesses last year on defense was the deep part of the field and depth after the starters. They fixed (hopefully) this.

They also added some speed off the edges (Jason Taylor, Cameron Wake) to go with Joey Porter. Inconsistent pass rush was a pin in the butt all year.

The thing about having one of the youngest teams in the NFL is you improve from within by the natural progression of the young players if they are well coached and the Dolphins, after a few years of wandering the wilderness are a well coached team now.

The schedule is a buzzsaw though, so is the Patriots schedule. I think people booking the Patriots for 13 wins are dreaming. The offensive line is vulnerable and the last time I checked, Brady doesn't play defense. If Brady stays upright all year they are an 11 win team which will win the East.

The Jags? They have no quarterback, their defense is aging and Jack Del Rio is the current version of Dave Wannstedt, he'll never get everything out of that team.

The Texans? They always seem to have injuries and Matt Schaub is, well, Matt Schaub.

The Broncos? IMO they will win 4 games and their could be a mutiny. McDaniels is making enemies fast.

The Colts look like they could crumble a little. they lost their head coach, offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in one offseason.

Flame away Pats fans but remember, I'm a lifelong Bruins fan so you can't TOTALLY hate me.

Old
07-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Scruffy
Beast Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post

The schedule is a buzzsaw though, so is the Patriots schedule. I think people booking the Patriots for 13 wins are dreaming. The offensive line is vulnerable and the last time I checked, Brady doesn't play defense. If Brady stays upright all year they are an 11 win team which will win the East.
If the team last year could win 11 games with Matt Freakin' Cassel and that terrible secondary, I'm pretty sure a team with a shored up secondary and Tom Freakin' Brady at the helm will win more than 11 games. Book it.

Old
07-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
If the team last year could win 11 games with Matt Freakin' Cassel and that terrible secondary, I'm pretty sure a team with a shored up secondary and Tom Freakin' Brady at the helm will win more than 11 games. Book it.
Especially with a rebuilt secondary as well.

Old
07-29-2009, 01:53 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Habs fan but also a die-hard Pats fan (from before the first SB, I swears!).

Here's hoping for another successful season!

Old
07-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Alicat
Charge!

I can't wait. Going to be odd without Vrable and Harrison but in Bill we trust right? I for one will avoid going to opening day again as I did last year, nuff said. Really looking forward to seeing Richard and Bruschi play well as well as who makes it as our backup QB and how Tom Terrific does. It is going to be a wild one and I cant wait, I need something else that reminds me of Fall and is a change of pace from the Sox.. That is until Hockey starts

I am Boston Strong

Old
07-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Matt Cassel will be exposed big time this year when the Pats win 15 or 16 games like they should have last year.

Old
07-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Can't wait for the NFL season to start,Go Pats!

Old
07-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

Not to fear, Patrick Pass is here!

*For those that don't know, Patrick Pass was here for all 3 superbowls then when he left, we never won again."

Old
07-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan09 View Post

*For those that don't know, Patrick Pass was here for all 3 superbowls then when he left, we never won again."
We shall see what Patrick has left in the tank. I'm hoping to get down to camp at some point to see both our vets and rookies like Brace and Cheung(sp?)

Old
07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Ty Warren starting on the PUP list isn't great
At least it's not for conditioning like some players. This year is the smallest ive seen the PUP in a few seasons and both are on there because of injuries.

I have to believe Ty will be ready to go by mid camp. Crable is interesting but if it is a shin issue like he had last year, I hope he is ready by the end. My guess with Crable is hes trying to get mass back in the calf which can become very limp and non existent if you can't use the muscle the way he needs to. I think we will be a-ok, at least in my own little world lol. I'm more concerned with Brady than Warren and Crable.

Old
07-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Danny Woodhead

Quote:

I may have missed an additional move, but Pass was released about a week after he was signed.

Old
07-29-2009, 01:00 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purinton View Post
Matt Cassel will be exposed big time this year when the Pats win 15 or 16 games like they should have last year.
Aging linebackers and defensive line, an offensive line that has been exposed and a quarterback coming off reconstructive knee surgury. That is not a 15 win team. They also have a fairly tough schedule.

Old
07-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Danny Woodhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Aging linebackers and defensive line, an offensive line that has been exposed and a quarterback coming off reconstructive knee surgury. That is not a 15 win team. They also have a fairly tough schedule.
Our defensive line has aged into its prime. Even though Seymour hasn't been particularly dominant the last couple of years, I strongly disagree if you are implying that the D-line is old. I will admit that I'm not comfortable with Bruschi and Woods starting at LB, but Mayo should continue to improve upon his ROTY season, and our secondary is vastly improved. Our D should be adequate while our offense should be dominating. 15 wins is a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised by 13.

Old
07-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:

He was released shortly after signing.

Closed Thread