HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

OT: Official NE Patriots Thread: 2009 Drive 4 SB 4(All Pats talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
FutureConsiderations

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Not where I thought he'd end up. If anyone is gonna give him a chance it will be Philly fans. You could put Charles Manson and Jeffery Dahmer on that team and they'd still back them.
Maybe. But I've already heard from more than ten fans (of a younger generation than season-ticket holders, to be sure) that they're disgusted.

I expected him to come back with the NFL, I just thought Philly was better than that.

And besides, if you're looking for a replacement for McNabb (and they should be), don't you look at your team and say, "Hey... maybe we could go a little more conventional?" There's a considerable percentage of fans that have given up on McNabb and Reid (much like Parcells and Bledsoe wore out their welcome in New England after a point) and this isn't a move that will inspire confidence in them. This group remembers the Jeff Garcia days fondly and would like to see a back-to-basics approach with a QB who is, if nothing else, accurate. McNabb is a lot of icing with not a whole lot of cake and that definitely shows when the heat is on in a pressure situation.

Maybe the loyalists will buy this, maybe they won't. But I have yet to hear from an Eagles fan who is excited about the acquisition.

Old
08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
cshea

Billy Yates is a loser, but everything else was pretty damn good tonight.

Brady was excellent, his only real error was the under thown deep ball to Moss. His accuracy wasn't quite as spot on (a few to the back shoulders of receivers) but that'll come, and he still amazing so no biggie. Ben Watson can pack his bags, Baker looked great. Watson's so damn frustrating, that it's time to cut bait and get rid of him. Baker, Smith and Thomas should be able to handle the TE duties. We didn't see much of the other new guys. Fred Taylor had the night off, and Galloway had a miserable read on a 2nd and goal when the ball clanged off his hands. Wasn't on the same page with Brady there, but that should come with time.

1st team defense looked good as well. Wilhite was sticking to his man all night, and there was....yes, indeed...a pass rush. The few blitz's they ran all seemed to work. They played a lot of 4-3 with the first unit, which is very intriguing, given the personnel they've got up front this year. Brace and Wilfork inside, with Seymour and Burgess rushing off the edge, or some similar combo. I'm also excited for the Guyton/Mayo combo at ILB. Best we've had there in years. Pryor had a nice rush on the outside too, which was good to see.

As for the rookies, we all know about Julian Edelman. Looks like Welker v. 2.0. Shifty, runs low to the ground. Patrick Chung had some nice plays. Blocked a FG, and had a nice play in the passing game. Darius Butler was OK. Got smoked down in the red zone for a PI, but then came back and picked off the 2-point conversion. So/so for him. The guy I was looking at was Sebastian Volmer. LT that doesn't speak a lick of English. He's as raw as they come, but he's friggin' huge, and made a few nice plays. Had a missed assignment or 2, but he looks like he could be really useful down the road. Just have to get him comfortable with the blocking scheme's and the check's at the line, audibles, etc.

All in all, a success for the first time out. First team on both sides of th ball looked very, very good. Only the first preseason game, but we escaped with no injuries and there were more positives than negatives.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I got HD a few weeks ago but its seems that WBZ doesnt have an HD channel on comcast? Am I missing something?
It should be 804

Old
08-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Scruffy
Beast Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I expected him to come back with the NFL, I just thought Philly was better than that.
This is the city that booed Santa Claus...........

And Vick is a hell of a talent. Everyone deserves a second chance, so let's see if he straightened himself out, or if he truly is a heartless *******.

Old
08-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Has anyone worn No. 11 on the Pats since Drew Bledsoe? Curious number for Edelman to have, but man did he look brilliant when he made that quick cutback and took the ball down the sidelines on the punt return.

Kid definitely has some speed and skills...they need to hold onto him and see how he develops.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:30 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Has anyone worn No. 11 on the Pats since Drew Bledsoe? Curious number for Edelman to have, but man did he look brilliant when he made that quick cutback and took the ball down the sidelines on the punt return.

Kid definitely has some speed and skills...they need to hold onto him and see how he develops.
I remember seeing someone with it, I just can't remember who.

The kid looked good. There were times I thought it was Welker out there. He reminds me a lot of Welker during his days in Miami.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I remember seeing someone with it, I just can't remember who.

The kid looked good. There were times I thought it was Welker out there. He reminds me a lot of Welker during his days in Miami.

Nobody who has worn #11 made much of an impact after Bledsoe, though, right?

Definitely a lot of Edelman-Welker buzz...good for the the Kent Stater, but it will be interesting to see how teams adjust to him and his speed. Definitely like what I'm seeing, though.

Anyone remember when Dan Klecko had a dominant first preseason game on defense way back in '03? A lot of folks were ready to crown him the new king of the Pats D, so we have to take these preseason performances with a grain of salt.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Definitely a lot of Edelman-Welker buzz...good for the the Kent Stater, but it will be interesting to see how teams adjust to him and his speed. Definitely like what I'm seeing, though.

Anyone remember when Dan Klecko had a dominant first preseason game on defense way back in '03? A lot of folks were ready to crown him the new king of the Pats D, so we have to take these preseason performances with a grain of salt.
Of course it being the preseason, you do have to keep things in check. On a positive note though, Edelman did it against the first team d of the Eagles. It wasn't like he was a 4th quarter wonder doing it against players who will not actually make the roster. That coupled with how fast he seems to be transitioning from playing QB in college to WR in the pros, and there is a lot to like about his game. He looked a lot better than Greg Lewis yesterday, who was non-existant. If they can use him to return punts, that also frees up Welker from taking some extra abuse and hits.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Of course it being the preseason, you do have to keep things in check. On a positive note though, Edelman did it against the first team d of the Eagles. It wasn't like he was a 4th quarter wonder doing it against players who will not actually make the roster. That coupled with how fast he seems to be transitioning from playing QB in college to WR in the pros, and there is a lot to like about his game. He looked a lot better than Greg Lewis yesterday, who was non-existant. If they can use him to return punts, that also frees up Welker from taking some extra abuse and hits.
Absolutely. Some guys are simply athletes who can do everything well and make it look easy in the process. If he keeps it up, Edelman makes the team as a special teamer and option passer/receiver for the "wildcat" formation if the Pats choose to employ it. As you said, that then frees Welker up to focus on being the slot receiver and exposes him to less risk of injury from the extra hits taken returning punts. Sound analysis. Kudos to the Pats scouting staff for finding him and not spending a high pick on a low-risk potentially high-reward kind of player.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:52 AM
stick9

Quote:

No, definitely not.

I was really impressed with the TE Baker. Watson has to be hearing some footsteps.

Old
08-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Baker had a great season for the Jets two years ago, so glad to see him looking good in the early going. If he can stay healthy, he's going to be the kind of option Brady uses a lot because he has sure hands.

Watson has been such a disappointment...I think he gets cut if he doesn't have a good preseason, because between Baker, Alex Smith and David Thomas, the team has three guys who can all catch the ball and move the chains.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
sooshii
Living the dream

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
This is the city that booed Santa Claus...........

And Vick is a hell of a talent. Everyone deserves a second chance, so let's see if he straightened himself out, or if he truly is a heartless *******.
but we love puppies!

glad to be a hockey fan. that's my only sport. friends and coworkers are aghast.

Old
08-14-2009, 01:09 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
but we love puppies!

glad to be a hockey fan. that's my only sport. friends and coworkers are aghast.
Yeah the early indications are that the Eagles shot themselves in the foot with this one. You expect an initial backlash with any team who signs him but Philly's is especially vocal right now (shocking, I know).

Even if Vick hadn't killed dogs by electrocution, slamming them on the ground, shooting them, or subjecting them to other fighting dogs and even if he hadn't been in prison without coaching or the opportunity to work out (besides muscle-building), he's just not the QB the Eagles need. One has to wonder if the Eagles know something we don't about McNabb and his 75% synthetic legs.

Old
08-14-2009, 02:06 PM
FutureConsiderations

One more thought on Vick:

Within ten minutes I had two Eagles fans text me, "Looks like I'll have to learn what icing is," and "Which is the best team to follow: Flyers, Capitals, or Devils?"

They can't bring themselves to support the Eagles, the Sixers are the Sixers, and these guys have only seen maybe three games in their lives but are now totally-committed fans of the Devils and Flyers, respectively. I'm impressed: they took it upon themselves to learn as much as they could about hockey and their team's rosters. Twenty four hours ago one of them couldn't tell you the difference between a defenseman and a forward, now he's got questions about Parise and asking if he'll be as good as Malkin or Crosby.

Old
08-14-2009, 04:20 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Baker had a great season for the Jets two years ago, so glad to see him looking good in the early going. If he can stay healthy, he's going to be the kind of option Brady uses a lot because he has sure hands.

Watson has been such a disappointment...I think he gets cut if he doesn't have a good preseason, because between Baker, Alex Smith and David Thomas, the team has three guys who can all catch the ball and move the chains.
I haven't seen much of Baker or Smith, but I would think that Watson still has a place on this team because of his blocking ability and his familiarity of the system. He's been one of the better blocking TE's the Pats have had ( when he's healthy ) in a long time. If Baker or Smith is a better blocking TE, then I would say that Watson is indeed on the slippery slope.

Old
08-15-2009, 12:19 AM
FutureConsiderations

For what it's worth, I don't buy a word coming out of Vick's mouth. His body language and choice of words don't hint at an ounce of genuine contrition. He was almost smirking on his way into the press conference today.

And I'm not one to buy into early first-round QB hype, but Mark Sanchez had just about the best first drive you could ask for. 3/4, 88 years, TD, first pass was a 48 yard beauty (at least for a rookie). Compare his first drive to Jamarcus Russell's first game this preseason and... yeah...

Old
08-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

A little late, but anybody catch Tom Brady's appearance on Entourage last week? Not bad...I liked the Turtle angle. How TB was able to charm him just like that after Turtle started out being a richard to him. Still having trouble buying the whole Turtle and Jamie-Lynn Sigler thing, but hey- it's Hollywood.

Old
08-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
A little late, but anybody catch Tom Brady's appearance on Entourage last week? Not bad...I liked the Turtle angle. How TB was able to charm him just like that after Turtle started out being a richard to him. Still having trouble buying the whole Turtle and Jamie-Lynn Sigler thing, but hey- it's Hollywood.

That was pretty funny. It was my first time watching--

I immediately fell in love with True Blood!

Tom shouldn't leave football for acting, but that smile certainly lights up the set.

..."blue matches your eyes"

Old
08-16-2009, 05:30 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
For what it's worth, I don't buy a word coming out of Vick's mouth. His body language and choice of words don't hint at an ounce of genuine contrition. He was almost smirking on his way into the press conference today.

And I'm not one to buy into early first-round QB hype, but Mark Sanchez had just about the best first drive you could ask for. 3/4, 88 years, TD, first pass was a 48 yard beauty (at least for a rookie). Compare his first drive to Jamarcus Russell's first game this preseason and... yeah...
I'm with you- the guy is the worst kind; it comes down to heart, and his is black- and I'm not talking color of his skin; all these 80/20 people who want to forgive this guy for what he did obviously don't have a dog in this fight, and if he was just some schmuk they'd probably be whistling a different tune.

This guy is just an evil sob- and I don't care if it was a dog, or cat, or you, or some old lady, or just his actions. He's a dumb, mean POS, trying to save his ass. He is changing because he needs to save his arse.

If this guy was just some bum two streets over people would tell their kids to not go near that street- yet some of the same people want to give him a second chance....I seen and heard it at work. Hilarious.

If we are giving Vick a second chance, lets give his cousin, who admitted driving in surrounding neighborhoods and grabbing people's dogs out of their yards and bringing them back and feeding to the Bad News Kennel dogs. Of course, if it was your daughter's puppy she got for Christmas (which did happen) you can forgive Vick and his gang....if so, you are dumber than Vick- but logic says 20% will feel just that way.

Hopefully, he'll face his maker some day.

Old
08-16-2009, 09:40 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'm with you- the guy is the worst kind; it comes down to heart, and his is black- and I'm not talking color of his skin; all these 80/20 people who want to forgive this guy for what he did obviously don't have a dog in this fight, and if he was just some schmuk they'd probably be whistling a different tune.

This guy is just an evil sob- and I don't care if it was a dog, or cat, or you, or some old lady, or just his actions. He's a dumb, mean POS, trying to save his ass. He is changing because he needs to save his arse.

If this guy was just some bum two streets over people would tell their kids to not go near that street- yet some of the same people want to give him a second chance....I seen and heard it at work. Hilarious.

If we are giving Vick a second chance, lets give his cousin, who admitted driving in surrounding neighborhoods and grabbing people's dogs out of their yards and bringing them back and feeding to the Bad News Kennel dogs. Of course, if it was your daughter's puppy she got for Christmas (which did happen) you can forgive Vick and his gang....if so, you are dumber than Vick- but logic says 20% will feel just that way.

I thought I was blinded because I am a dog lover and have been all my life, but it's great to see the fans of Philadelphia turn heel on this team after something like that.

Still, it's easy to threaten to boycott when we're early in preseason and there are a small number of fans who are excited about this. The girlfriend and I were killing some time on Thursday before our movie started (District 9, not Julie & Julia ) and we wandered into a sports memorabilia store. In the ten minutes we were there, two guys came in asking about pre-ordering Vick jerseys and the phone rang two more times about them. The manager said, "I hate the guy and most people who come in here just browsing say the same thing, but my phone has been ringing off the hook."

And was that Marcus "Walking Handcuffs" Vick you referenced?

Old
08-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post

The really head scratching thing is that Philly is paying him millions of dollars as a back up Qb and that he might have to play. He has proven himself to be a borderline awful NFL quarterback and likely wont be much better after two years removed from the sport. I cant wait for McNabb to get hurt and the Eagles playoffs chances on the line in a frigid December game against the Giants and he looks like the complete loser that he is.

Old
08-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Turtle is actually dating Jamie Lynn in real life too!

Great show.

Old
08-16-2009, 10:43 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
The really head scratching thing is that Philly is paying him millions of dollars as a back up Qb and that he might have to play. He has proven himself to be a borderline awful NFL quarterback and likely wont be much better after two years removed from the sport. I cant wait for McNabb to get hurt and the Eagles playoffs chances on the line in a frigid December game against the Giants and he looks like the complete loser that he is.
It's true, the only thing I can think of is the Wildcat. Either that or McNabb is hurt more than they're letting on.

Old
08-20-2009, 08:08 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Pre-Season home opener vs. Bengals

Original owner Billy Sullivan and original Boston Patriot Jim Nance in the new HoF @ Patriot Place

Bengals lead 7-6.

Old
08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
cshea

Lethargic game tonight. Nobody really shined. Terrance Wheatley looked miserable when he was in there, but that was the only guy I thought completely sucked. The defense really has a chance to do some awesome things this year though. I'm really excited about the 4-3 and 3-4 possibilities. Youngest, most athletic personel group we've had in a long time. Today they were playing Burgess as the end with Wilfork and Warren, with Tully Banta-Cain the OLB on that side. I'd like to see what we could do with a front of Warren - Wilfork - Seymour, and the LB's Burgess/Mayo/Guyton/Thomas. That could do some damage, but I'm not sure how Burgess would handle pass coverage out of that scheme.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis was looking OK, but just fumbled inside the red zone so that's bad. He should make it though. I'd love an RB corp of Taylor, Morris, Faulk and Green-Ellis. Age and health concerns with that group though. Tough to see Maroney sticking around since he's always hurt from breaking his ankles dancing at the line.

Edit: This Hoyer kid looks pretty good at QB. Scrubs v. Scrubs, but he seems pretty poised. Big guy, seems to have a good arm. Rifled a 15-yard out to Nunn at one point, so the arm strength is there. We'll probably try to sneak him through to the practice squad, but he might get snatched up if he shows anything in the week 4 game.

Last edited by cshea: 08-20-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Closed Thread