HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The All Redskins Thread V

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Bananas

vCash: 500
The All Redskins Thread V

Well, with hockey season at it's nadir and Redskins season upon us...

Old
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Fallschirmyager

forget that bozo aka "the danny" I have lost all patience and will not return to my fandom until he sells the team.

Old
07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
one800frank

Go Ravens!

Orakpo looks likes he's going to be exciting to watch. Your D should be phenomenal this year. I'm just not sold on good old JCampbell.

Old
07-29-2009, 11:20 AM
robbyrock*

Who thinks Mike Williams becomes the starter? He went from 430 lbs down to 337 and is a former #4 overall pick. Some coaches say other than Samuels he has the best feet for a tackle on the team.

Im so ready for this season to start already,this is the worst part of the yer to me...I just really dont get into baseball or lance armstrong.

Old
07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by one800frank View Post
Go Ravens!

Orakpo looks likes he's going to be exciting to watch. Your D should be phenomenal this year. I'm just not sold on good old JCampbell.
Ravens…

Old
07-29-2009, 12:19 PM
LSF76

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrock View Post
Who thinks Mike Williams becomes the starter? He went from 430 lbs down to 337 and is a former #4 overall pick. Some coaches say other than Samuels he has the best feet for a tackle on the team.

Im so ready for this season to start already,this is the worst part of the yer to me...I just really dont get into baseball or lance armstrong.
I don't know if Williams will start, but signing him is looking more and more like a sharp move. He appears to be turning into a better backup OT than the Skins have had in a long time, and could eventually become the starter at RT. With Bridges at OG, the Skins will have better depth on the line, which was their biggest weakness last year.

Old
07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
i am elated that Jansen is gone. There has been a lot of fans complaining about our offensive line and our passing game woes for years now. Yet few wanted to point fingers at anyone other than Jason; i didnt hesitate to point out Jansen's pass protection woes. He was a great guy tough as nails but his game deteroriated. We will see how long my elation lasts. But Zorn needs to learn to not put Heyer on an island out there. Roll Jason out, let Jason throw from the shotgun, pick that stud LDE. Go hurry up for cripes sake. Change it up on the D some times.

Still, Jason seems to take all the blame for our passing game, yet must have had the smallest WR core of the entire league every year he has been a pro. Thrash as our number 3 was laughable; only 30 catches in 3 years. He like Jansen, a leader tough as nails, just needed to go. Sure our pass protection was a factor, but Zorn did little to compensate for that. Its a team game and Mark Rypien was proof you dont need a stud QB to have a great offense.

Old
07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Bananas

I've got the best feeling I've had about the 'Skins in years. I think JC will make a somewhat dramatic leap and our defense will be one of the leagues best.

It is the Redskins, however, and we could just as easily be mediocre.

Old
07-29-2009, 03:40 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I hope Jason punks all the non believers out. Its obvious he has all the tools. He has had to deal with so much its amazing he is as good as he is. Revolving playbooks is a thorn in any QB's side especially young guns. Zorn changing him into a quick hitting short pass WCO QB is my latest pet peev but he is sucking it up and doing it without complaint. This guy can run roll out pass deep - stuff Zorn just does not do. Zorn refuses to go hurry up because it doesnt fit the WCO style; how the hell does he ever expect to run a successful two minute offense then? I just hate the WCO more and more. Guys are just in their wrong roles. Jason the big deep ball guy gunning short passes; always under center backpedaling away from the jail break pass rush over and over. Moss maybe THE best deep threat in the NFL, stuck running hitches and short slants all day. ARE a 3/4 on any team, a 2 here. Thrash, really a standout special teamer, was our 3. Zorn shows promise but he is still a noob and needs to learn to attack a defenses weakness. He just rolls his 4 lines and hopes for the best.

All that aside, I am terribly optimistic, as I am every year. We just need to get our WR's sorted out and be a bit less predictable on offense.

Old
07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
LSF76

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its a team game and Mark Rypien was proof you dont need a stud QB to have a great offense.
Mark Rypien was proof of that, assuming you have a great surrounding cast and your non-stud QB is a perfect fit for your offense. I'd say the Skins have a decent but not great surrounding cast for Campbell (assuming the young receivers step up and the O-line depth works out, otherwise it's a weak surrounding cast), and that Campbell is not a great fit for the WCO but he is adequate (he'd probably fit better in a Gibbs 1.0 style offense). However, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Campbell is closer to being a stud than Rypien was outside of his one great year.

Quote:
Zorn changing him into a quick hitting short pass WCO QB is my latest pet peev but he is sucking it up and doing it without complaint. This guy can run roll out pass deep - stuff Zorn just does not do. Zorn refuses to go hurry up because it doesnt fit the WCO style; how the hell does he ever expect to run a successful two minute offense then? I just hate the WCO more and more.
Well I guess the WCO is a complete mess and no one should ever use it because they can't run a 2-minute offense. That will be news to Bill Walsh and Joe Montana.

Seriously, the WCO may not be perfectly suited to Campbell but I think the 2-minute woes have more to do with 1. lack of impact receivers beyond Moss and Cooley and 2. Campbell's unfamiliarity with the offense. Now, the problems may run deeper than that, but if that's the case I suspect it's a Campbell issue, not a Zorn issue, based on my observations.

Don't get the wrong impression: I like Campbell and I'm optimistic the Skins can surprise people this year.

Old
07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
forget that bozo aka "the danny" I have lost all patience and will not return to my fandom until he sells the team.
He's better than Ted in my eyes.

Old
07-29-2009, 05:39 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm hoping the sarcasm smiley was left out, heh.

07-29-2009, 06:17 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF76 View Post
Well I guess the WCO is a complete mess and no one should ever use it because they can't run a 2-minute offense. That will be news to Bill Walsh and Joe Montana...
Joe Montana could have run pretty much any offense and made a winner out of it. But they were innovators. Its just such an old offense now; dont defenses have a damn good idea how to defend the basic vanilla WCO by now? I would mirror exactly what teams with the best offenses do. I dunno; a New England or a Indy. Teams that are unpredictable. Zorn said he doesnt use shotgun because its not compatible with our WCO. Well that sucks for teams that have shoddy pass protection and a big armed QB and a bunch of small fast receivers. He doesnt even go hurry up, I think in part because it is often a shotgun set. Our personnel is just not geared to the WCO. Couple that with a total noob head coach hell bent on changing Campbell instead of just bringing in a west coast proven QB, AND inking an Al Saunders guy as our backup? It just has epic fail written all over it.

Maybe its just my pet peev. At least we didnt implement the run and shoot like my Terps did to me many moons ago.

Old
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Better at goat roping his team yes, but if you meant otherwise then you and I will have to just disagree.

Old
07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
You can't be this myopic.

Snyder is easily the #2 owner in D.C., even with his prickish business approach.

If he ever finds an GM, the Skins will be back to winning championships.

My thoughts on the Skins '09 season:

Jason Campbell. If this past offseason has somehow forced him to grow a pair be aggressive with the football, the Skins will be in the thick of things. If he's the same QB as last year, hello Mike Shanahan.

Old
07-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
You can't be this myopic.

Snyder is easily the #2 owner in D.C., even with his prickish business approach.

If he ever finds an GM, the Skins will be back to winning championships.

My thoughts on the Skins '09 season:

Jason Campbell. If this past offseason has somehow forced him to grow a pair be aggressive with the football, the Skins will be in the thick of things. If he's the same QB as last year, hello Mike Shanahan.
myopic? no. Had my opinion been developed over the last 2 years maybe but he's had the team for 10. Cynical enough to believe he does not care whether he actually wins as long as his bottom line is making money? yes.

"The Danny" has done nothing but meddle in football affairs since he's had the team trying to find the magic elixir of NFL success. "uncle Ted", after the Jagr debacle, has generally learned to stay out of the hockey decisions. This is why Leonsis is the better owner.

Old
07-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Foy

Quote:
Better at goat roping his team yes, but if you meant otherwise then you and I will have to just disagree.
I don't remember Snyder choking any fans. I don't remember Snyder blackmailing any fans. Outside of that, they've pretty much been just as jerkoffish to the fan bases. The only difference being Snyder knew he had a loyal base to screw around with. Ted didn't show his true colors until he'd been here a while.

Old
07-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
I don't remember Snyder choking any fans. I don't remember Snyder blackmailing any fans. Outside of that, they've pretty much been just as jerkoffish to the fan bases. The only difference being Snyder knew he had a loyal base to screw around with. Ted didn't show his true colors until he'd been here a while.
We're debating scale now. I never claimed Leonsis was innocent. The incidents you mentioned were both stupid without question but neither is without two sides to the story. Don't get me wrong, Ted is not innocent but neither are his antagonists. Snyder has been messing over the fan base as a whole since he bought the team.

It's a pick'em thing. Which obnoxious behavior is worst to you. So far to me, it's "the danny".

Old
07-30-2009, 08:40 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
...and he still won't shut up.

At least we don't have to hear/read anything that Snyder is saying...since he rarely talks to the media and doesn't have a f'ing blog/twitter. Sure...he meddles in football operations...and he fails...but at least he doesn't run his mouth. That, I can deal with.

Old
07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I think Danny is the GM. No GM is dumb enough to do all the things Vinny has done. And still have a job. Marty knew what was up and canned him. Who do you trust when it comes to football of those 3? Regardless, there is no way Danny didn't have a hand in all those huge high ticket guys Vinny has brought in here. The most expensive ones seem to always fail.

I really hope we unleash Haynesworth, and dont give him gap control read react and get run over like with Sean Gilbert and all other stud DT's we have brought in. If we want London to make all the plays a la ray ray in bmore; thats a fine and respectable defense, but we dont need Haynesworth for that. The only way to improve on our 4th overall ranking is to wreak havoc in the backfield and force turnovers. I sure hope Blache improves his blitz scheme / blitz personnel. Landry great at FS is easily our best blitzer IMO.

Old
07-30-2009, 08:52 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
See, the difference there is, Danny wouldn't blackmail any detractors that were getting to him, he'd just buy their employer and fire them outright...

Old
07-30-2009, 09:43 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Some tweaker is saying orakpo is signed. I sure hope so, we dont want our starting linebacker to be late to the party. I mean defensive end.

Old
07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I think Danny is the GM...
Ding ding ding...

The difference between Snyder and Leonsis, on the football/hockey sides is that Leonis has learned to stay out of that part of ownership.

Leonsis made that mistake and learned from it and now stays out of it. Sure he is obnoxious and does a lot of dumb fan related stuff but it doesn't affect the on ice product.

Snyder on the other hand thinks he is a football guy. He tried just being an owner once when he gave Schottenheimer total control of the football operation and regardless of without a shadow of a doubt having turned the franchise around and having it heading in the right direction Snyder said 'he wasn't having any fun' just being an owner and fired him because he wouldn't give up total control and just be the coach.

Having fun with his toy by being very involved in the day to day football operations is the most important thing to Snyder. Not making money because if they did better they would make more money and he knows that and not winning. Don't get me wrong, he is very happy with the money the team makes in spite of their so so on field performance and he wants to win and he is more than willing to put his money on the line to win but he wants to win on his terms only.

Old
07-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
...and he still won't shut up.

At least we don't have to hear/read anything that Snyder is saying...since he rarely talks to the media and doesn't have a f'ing blog/twitter. Sure...he meddles in football operations...and he fails...but at least he doesn't run his mouth. That, I can deal with.
Ted: Advanced in the playoffs 1 round total.
Snyder: Advanced in the playoffs 2 total rounds.

I don't really see where people who defend Leonsis can say that Snyder is a failure.

For the record, I don't like Snyder, I just hate Ted more.

Old
07-30-2009, 12:12 PM
LSF76

Quote:
I would mirror exactly what teams with the best offenses do. I dunno; a New England or a Indy. Teams that are unpredictable.
If you knew anything about football, you'd know that calling Indy's offense unpredictable is a joke. Indy is one of the most predictable offenses in the league. Their entire offense is based around one running play (the stretch) and a play-fake off that run. It works because they're just better at it than everyone else.

Quote:
Zorn said he doesnt use shotgun because its not compatible with our WCO. Well that sucks for teams that have shoddy pass protection and a big armed QB and a bunch of small fast receivers. He doesnt even go hurry up, I think in part because it is often a shotgun set. Our personnel is just not geared to the WCO. Couple that with a total noob head coach hell bent on changing Campbell instead of just bringing in a west coast proven QB, AND inking an Al Saunders guy as our backup? It just has epic fail written all over it.

Maybe its just my pet peev. At least we didnt implement the run and shoot like my Terps did to me many moons ago.
Zorn does use the shotgun. He didn't want to, but he came around just like Gibbs did (another coach who really doesn't like the shotgun). I will grant that Todd Collins has a lot less value in Zorn's offense than Saunders' and I'm not sure why re-signing him was such a big deal. Wouldn't surprise me if Brennan leapfrogs Collins for the backup job.

Closed Thread