HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

2009-2010 Expectations

Old
07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
2009-2010 Expectations

With a lot of scoring gone due to FA and a lot of unproven talent coming into the starting line up what can be expected?

IMO 1st in the Central Division, 2nd overall in WC and 2nd overall in the NHL.

If the young new players grow up by playoffs they will OK. Wouldnít surprise me if they make to the finals again. But I donít think itís going to happen again this year. Just too high of a mountain to climb.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 10:36 AM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

vCash: 214
Lets wait and see what free agents we sign before making any predictions.

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Knowing the caliber of player we can sign, I'll say 2nd in the central, 4th in the conference (playoff seeding wise), at least WCF appearance and if we meet the Blackhawks in the playoffs, we beat them in 6.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
Lets wait and see what free agents we sign before making any predictions.

That...

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:35 PM
WinnipegWingnut

I think this is the year that the Hawks give us a solid challenge for the Central.

With Boston's bonehead signing of Morris leaving them with little cap space, am I the only Wings fan hoping Holland makes a offer sheet to Phil Kessel now that Hudler, Hossa and Sammy have left leaving us with some free cash to play with?

Edit: Guess I should give my prediction... haha

I still think we take the Central, but I'm going to say we get 2nd again this year, SJ has a pretty solid team and I feel will just edge us out for first unless Ozzy can have a solid rebound season.

WinnipegWingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
1st in Central
1st in the West
top 5 GA in the league
top 10 GF in the league

As for the division, I think Chicago regresses a bit. They have the pieces up front and on the blueline but could be a sieve in goal.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 06:02 PM
12YearExtension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
1st in Central
1st in the West
top 5 GA in the league
top 10 GF in the league

As for the division, I think Chicago regresses a bit. They have the pieces up front and on the blueline but could be a sieve in goal.
Agreed. People have been counting out the Wings for years and years, and they just play better when that happens. This team will get back to being defense first, Ozzy will play better, guys like Filpulla and Cleary will have great seasons with Hossa gone, and we've still got the bestdefensive unit and the top 3 forwards in the West.

The Wings demise is highly overrated. Remember when Nashville was supposed to take over the Central a few years ago...

12YearExtension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 03:24 AM
Human Thumb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Agreed. People have been counting out the Wings for years and years, and they just play better when that happens.
In that case, I predict them to finish last in in the west. And Babcock is a big doodie head.

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
This might be one of the last hoorah's for some players on the roster (Ozzie, Lidstrom, Draper, Homer, Maltby), so I kind of expect the team to step their game up from last year's regular season.

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Outside of maybe Calgary (even that's debatable) no other team in the West really improved all that much (most not at all). Detroit still has the best core and best defense.

The expectations should stay the same and it goes along with what Winger said:

1st in the Central
1st in the West
Competing for the President's Trophy
Top 5 in GAA and GF
Top 5 PP%
Top 10 PK%
Top 3 in shots against
Top 5 in GAA

None of these are unrealistic goals.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:38 AM
12YearExtension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Outside of maybe Calgary (even that's debatable) no other team in the West really improved all that much (most not at all). Detroit still has the best core and best defense.

The expectations should stay the same and it goes along with what Winger said:

1st in the Central
1st in the West
Competing for the President's Trophy
Top 5 in GAA and GF
Top 5 PP%
Top 10 PK%
Top 3 in shots against
Top 5 in GAA

None of these are unrealistic goals.
I'd like to ask, who other than Iginla is going to score for Calgary. Sure they got Bouw, but they need to score at least some goals. Beyond Bouw and Reghier(sp) their defense isn't great overall, beyond a bunch of bullies.

Anyway, I see Anahiem Regressing, I know they got (OMFG) Koivu(not the good one) bu the lost two mainstay on defense which hurt their game. Chicago I think is overrated due to Havlat outplay Hossa last year, they didn't really add anything and this is a team the Wings beat in 5 without Lidstrom and Datsyk for the last two. San Jose, apparently has cap trouble, honestly I haven't looked at them too much. The rest can't touch the Wings, s i think they've got things under control.

We've got the best defensive core, the best top 3 forwards in the West, the best coach, plus more to add, so I think the team will be fine.

Old
07-31-2009, 01:32 AM
detredWINgs

The Wings scored nearly 289 goals this past season, and they were 2nd in the conference.

The Wings scored 252 goals in 2007/2008, and they were 1st in the conference.

The Pens won the Cup, and they scored 251 goals this season.

Its all about work ethic and team defense, and we have the best player core in the entire NHL to play a strong defensive game. Thats why Id prefer we go with someone like Grier or Malhotra over Williams or Sammy. During the year we scored 252 goals - and won the Cup - Hudler only had 13 goals, Sammy only had 11 goals, and Hossa (obviously) wasn't even on the team.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 01:33 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
i know this is your board but i do like to see other perspectives.
I cant see how the hawks are over-rated. They have solid young Defense,Stacked young talent up front and just another year of experience under their belt, their only weakness is in net and if huet plays good watch out. And calgary did improve they have added j-bo, Got rid of keenan and brought in a more defensive minded style of play with B.Sutter,they have added forward depth,and fixed their cap situation.Of course i might be getting a head of myself as a flames fan but still their is no doubt we have improved.

As for the redwings of course they are still the team to beat in the west,great depth up front,Amazing D core and solid goaltending. not to mention Best coach in the league IMO.

I just think saying that no one in the west can even touch you is unfair, and unrealistic. -Mentioned by purple haze.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 07-31-2009 at 01:46 AM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 01:49 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post

I think Every other team in the league Sees the wings the exact same way.

Old
07-31-2009, 02:07 AM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFann View Post
I think Every other team in the league Sees the wings the exact same way.
In the playoffs?

An injured Wings team dropped the Hawks in 5. Hossa did jack **** and Datsyuk/Lidstrom were out a few games, and injured in others. The regular season is just practice for the playoffs... I would like to see the Wings improve their team defense to the level it was in 08.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:14 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
Knowing the caliber of player we can sign, I'll say 2nd in the central, 4th in the conference (playoff seeding wise), at least WCF appearance and if we meet the Blackhawks in the playoffs, we beat them in 6.
IDk who the hell you think is going to beat us in the central. Chicago aint gonna do it. Huet will fold. He always does.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:18 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Ice View Post
In the playoffs?

An injured Wings team dropped the Hawks in 5. Hossa did jack **** and Datsyuk/Lidstrom were out a few games, and injured in others. The regular season is just practice for the playoffs... I would like to see the Wings improve their team defense to the level it was in 08.
I agree with you, but im pretty sure you guys know that everyone counts osgood out even though he keeps proving them wrong. I would say that 90% of non redwings fans think osgood is the only liability the red wings have.

Old
07-31-2009, 07:12 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

1st or 2nd in Central
3rd to 5th in Conference

If they sign JWill? -- First Round Elmination

And, by the way, this is a big year for Mike Babcock.

He moved the wings gradually up the ladder, and they won the cup.
Last year, his team was close, yet again.

There have been many defections, and Babcock has some work in front of him.
Making it back to the finals, or even conference finals, would be a very nice job.

But a so-so regular season and a first round upset could spell trouble in terms of Babcock's grip on this team.

Hell, in some ways, this is a HUGE year for the franchise. Do they maintain the elite status? Or do they falter and join the ranks of the ordinary?

If they can keep it up for a year with another good regular season and a deep playoff run, it'll help the team during next year's off-season, with the Lidstrom/Holmstrom contracts coming off the books, potentially.

The Wings want to be well-positioned after this season, especially if Lids retires. But even if he doesn't (assuming he takes a significant paycut), another great season would really help the Wings attract talent during the UFA season.

Last edited by RedWingsNow*: 07-31-2009 at 07:20 AM.
RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:47 AM
hexrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
The Wings demise is highly overrated. Remember when Nashville was supposed to take over the Central a few years ago...
I remember.

At this point, I'm expecting a top 2 division and top 4 conference finish. What I'm not looking forward to are the inevitable "downfall of the Wings" stories should this team not win its division.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
But a so-so regular season and a first round upset could spell trouble in terms of Babcock's grip on this team.
Just for clarification are you saying that if the Wings do not have a very good regular season and go back to the conference finals (for the 4th year in a row) or Finals (for the 3rd year in a row) that shows to you that Babcock is losing the team? I'm assuming all of this hinges on the overall health of the team.

Quote:
The Wings want to be well-positioned after this season, especially if Lids retires. But even if he doesn't (assuming he takes a significant paycut), another great season would really help the Wings attract talent during the UFA season.
You really think that if the Wings don't have another very good regular season and go deep into the playoffs (something no other team has done in over a decade) that free agents are going to not want to come here as strongly as they wanted to before?

I think we have to be realistic here, my expectations for the regular season is one thing but for the playoffs you're approaching some pretty special territory when you're talking reaching the WCF for the 4th year in a row and Finals for the 3rd year in a row. I don't think not making them takes away the franchise or Babcock's validation.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
hexrae

Nice way to show the big picture Heaton. The expectations placed on this team are one thing, but the fact that they've delivered the past 3 seasons (1 Cup, 2 Finals, 1 WCF) is another.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
12YearExtension

FlamesFann,

I was saying that outside of San Jose, Calgary, Chicago, and Anaheim I don't think there are any teams that can touch the Wings in the West. Obviously, those teams I mentioned are great teams as well, but I see the Wings still being a notch above.

Calgary gave up a ton of goals last year, so they will need to play some good defense. I just don't see who is going to score outside of Iginla, and maybe Jokinen can hit 30. Outside of those two the team is thin on offense.

Just how I see it. The Wings have some questions heading into the season, but I think they'll be just fine. If they bounce back to their superb defense, like detredWINGS pointed out, they'll be just fine.

Old
07-31-2009, 07:46 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Just for clarification are you saying that if the Wings do not have a very good regular season and go back to the conference finals (for the 4th year in a row) or Finals (for the 3rd year in a row) that shows to you that Babcock is losing the team? I'm assuming all of this hinges on the overall health of the team.

You really think that if the Wings don't have another very good regular season and go deep into the playoffs (something no other team has done in over a decade) that free agents are going to not want to come here as strongly as they wanted to before?

I think we have to be realistic here, my expectations for the regular season is one thing but for the playoffs you're approaching some pretty special territory when you're talking reaching the WCF for the 4th year in a row and Finals for the 3rd year in a row. I don't think not making them takes away the franchise or Babcock's validation.

I think you've failed to read this:
Quote:
Making it back to the finals, or even conference finals, would be a very nice job.

In otherwords, a second round exit would probably be acceptable. Above that would be terrific. Below that would have people asking questions.

Yes, if they don't have a good season, and if they, say, get dumped in round one, then yes, just like that, the Detroit Red Wings are just another team.

Right now, they're a cut above everyone.

I know some people think this team has been the cat's meow every year since the mid-90s. But, in my estimation, this team lost some steam a few times. It never became a bad team or even an average team.
But it certainly wasn't elite, for a few years there (between 03 and 07, for example).

Don't start making excuses, in anticipation of next year's discussions.

All I am saying is that NHL coaches can lose the ability to get the best out of the team. Detroit reached the pinnacle under Babcock. They worked their way up.

The question of every championship coach is whether or not they can keep a team hungry. There were times last year when this team lacked hunger. The commitment to team defense wasn't quite there. Same with the penalty kill.
In the end, however, this team was right back in the finals. So, when it counted, Babcock and his wings were ready.
Still, losing in game 7 is a small step back.

And now we look toward this year.

Can Babcock push these guys back up to the top without losing them? I think that's a fair question.
IMO, getting to round 2 is a fair expectation for this squad. If the team makes it there and beyond, that could be a good way to show that Babcock is getting to these guys.
A first round loss might be a sign that Babcock isn't getting his message across.

How many Stanley Cup Winning Coaches from this decade are still in their job?
Looking at the list of cup winners in the post-dynasty era, it's actually quite astonishing how quickly Cup winning coaches are out of their job.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
How many Stanley Cup Winning Coaches from this decade are still in their job?
Looking at the list of cup winners in the post-dynasty era, it's actually quite astonishing how quickly Cup winning coaches are out of their job.
Well yeah... When your team doesn't make the playoffs for two straight years after winning the cup or when your coach doesn't make it out of the first round and doesn't make the playoffs for a few years. Also when your coach gets cancer it's a little tough to retain him as well.

This was the first year since 2002 that a cup winner made it out of the first round the year after. This is a big year because it could be Lidstrom's last, last year was bigger and unfortunately they came up 3 goals short.

Last edited by Heaton: 07-31-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old
07-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Schroedingers Cat

The Wings will never falter as long as Mike Ilitch is the owner.

Our "cap hell" is going to last all of a year or two before Lidstrom's contract drops and a few of our older guys retire.

Pretty soon we'll have Lidstrom making 4.5 and that frees up another 3 million, not to mention losing the salaries for Homer, Draper, and Maltby. That frees up about 4.5 for a total of ~7 million in gained cap space.

In 2010-2011 we could easily see

Dats-Z-Franzen
????-Flip-Cleary
Abs-Helm-Leino
????-Draper-????

Lids-Rafalski
Stuart-Kronwall
Ericsson-Kindl

Osgood
Howard

With 5-7 million to fill free forward slots (I'm assuming Draper sticks around a while). That's more than enough to pick up a high-quality free agent and a few decent 3-4 line guys, and this team still contends for a top spot in the west. I also don't see Lidstrom retiring until after 2010-11 because the free agent defenseman pool in 2010 is TERRIBLE, but in 2011 it's a little better, and Kindl should be adjusted to the NHL by then.

I'm also betting Holland picks up a top six forward at the trade deadline. Our cupboard is kind of bare in regards to forward prospects so I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our D prospects moved for a good young forward.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote