HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

2009-2010 Expectations

Old
07-31-2009, 11:15 PM
wings5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
The Wings will never falter as long as Mike Ilitch is the owner.

Our "cap hell" is going to last all of a year or two before Lidstrom's contract drops and a few of our older guys retire.

Pretty soon we'll have Lidstrom making 4.5 and that frees up another 3 million, not to mention losing the salaries for Homer, Draper, and Maltby. That frees up about 4.5 for a total of ~7 million in gained cap space.

In 2010-2011 we could easily see

Dats-Z-Franzen
????-Flip-Cleary
Abs-Helm-Leino
????-Draper-????

Lids-Rafalski
Stuart-Kronwall
Ericsson-Kindl

Osgood
Howard

With 5-7 million to fill free forward slots (I'm assuming Draper sticks around a while). That's more than enough to pick up a high-quality free agent and a few decent 3-4 line guys, and this team still contends for a top spot in the west. I also don't see Lidstrom retiring until after 2010-11 because the free agent defenseman pool in 2010 is TERRIBLE, but in 2011 it's a little better, and Kindl should be adjusted to the NHL by then.

I'm also betting Holland picks up a top six forward at the trade deadline. Our cupboard is kind of bare in regards to forward prospects so I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our D prospects moved for a good young forward.
I had a trade on the Trade Rumors and FA Talk boards that would address this situation if you are interested.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=667716

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 11:59 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
FlamesFann,

I was saying that outside of San Jose, Calgary, Chicago, and Anaheim I don't think there are any teams that can touch the Wings in the West. Obviously, those teams I mentioned are great teams as well, but I see the Wings still being a notch above.

Calgary gave up a ton of goals last year, so they will need to play some good defense. I just don't see who is going to score outside of Iginla, and maybe Jokinen can hit 30. Outside of those two the team is thin on offense.

Just how I see it. The Wings have some questions heading into the season, but I think they'll be just fine. If they bounce back to their superb defense, like detredWINGS pointed out, they'll be just fine.
Alright, I missread your post and by know means was bashing you.
Good to see other perspectives from different fan bases
Good Luck To the Wings this upcoming Season

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote