HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is this good to start?

Old
07-17-2010, 10:25 PM
BnR44

vCash: 500
Is this good to start?

http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...+Dryland+Glove

Good simple design, but the fact that they are only 12 bucks makes me kinda iffy.

http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...Guards-+Senior

Doesn't look all that bad...

http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...+Hockey+Helmet

I plan on slapping on a visor later, but looks good to start.

Thoughts?

BnR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:58 AM
trisgale

they look fine to get you going, however I would try the helmet on first if you can, different shaped heads fit different brands better. Also with shins, some fit better than others, for example, bauer one series shins seem to fit me/more comfortable then the vapor series.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:44 PM
BnR44

Thanks. I tried on an Itech in large at my LHS and it fit good with a cage... What's the present day equivalent to itech now? Or are they still a primary brand?

Old
07-18-2010, 12:54 PM
PuckHogs29

Are you looking to start playing ice hockey? Those gloves aren't ice hockey gloves, they look like minimal protection street hockey gloves. Get something better. Better to buy a little better quality now to start off than have to replace junk later, you'll thank yourself.

The shins look ok, the only problem is it says they're out of stock. The helmet is ok too but like trisgale said try it on and make sure you're getting the right size and it's comfortable.

If you're just starting you really should get sized properly for your gear, it'll save you headaches when you finally hit the ice.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:56 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

Those shins say they are out of stock and on a clearance item like that I doubt they'll get more. Itech is now owned by Bauer and they have phased out the Itech name although they kept some models and just changed the branding. That helmet was always Bauer though I believe and probably wont fit the same as an Itech. I wonder what they mean by "dryland" gloves, dryland usually refers to off ice so are they for street/roller maybe?

Edit: Puckhog you beat me to it!

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:59 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
I wonder what they mean by "dryland" gloves, dryland usually refers to off ice so are they for street/roller maybe?
That's the impression I got, when I was a kid Koho and Mylec made street hockey gloves that looked like that. They had a very small amount of foam padding in them and that was it. Not something I'd wear for ice at all.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
If you're just starting out I'd go to your LHS and plan on spending some time there trying everything on. If you can bring somebody who knows what they're talking about and not trying to push product on unsuspecting customers. In my time I've found that there is one brand that fits me for each piece of equipment. So when it comes time to replace it I simply stick to that same brand and never have a problem with adjusting other than breaking stuff in. Another thing to consider is if you spend a little more money on more well known brands and you decide to quickly upgrade you have a chance to sell it on Ebay. If you buy dryland gloves for $11 they're yours for life. If you buy 2009 high end Eastons on close out for $50 you may be able to get a few buck back when you upgrade. I'd also go on all the hockey pruduct websites and see what each has to offer. Even if I'm not planning on buying stuff I still check a few websites just to make sure I know what's out there, what's new and what's good or bad. For instance, I plan on buying new shin pads today. i've been looking online for a couple of weeks now, making sure I know what I want, sticking to the same brand I already have so that when I go to the store all I have to do is make sure they have my size, try them on to make sure I like how they feel and then buy them. So do your research and spend some time in the store or stores depending where you live.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 07-18-2010 at 10:09 PM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:55 PM
BnR44

I'm playing at my roller rink monday nights where all we need are shins, gloves, and a helmet. and i'm on a budget of 50 bucks right now.