HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Jackets UFAs remaining

Old
07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Wolfy

vCash: 500
Jackets UFAs remaining

Michael Peca
Jason Williams
Manny Malhotra
Christian Backman
OKT

A month after the market opened and these guys are still without a job. Does that mean the Jackets had a below average team last season? I'm surprised to see that only one available Jacket has been picked up by others so far, Rome.

We know about OKT, and I hear Williams could be on his way to Detroit. Seems to be little interest in the other guys.

Peca is getting old...and Backman
But I like Manny, hope he can get a deal somewhere.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 04:34 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I think you're right, it is a commentary on the quality of last year's team. I think Manny, J-Will, and Peca will probably find work in the NHL, but OKT is the only one I'll miss. I just hope this year's roster will represent a significant upgrade on all of them.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Lodewijk

I think we have to keep either JWill or Manny, one way or the other. I've heard of some talk among Edmonton's fanbase pining for Malhotra, but nothing above that.

I think Peca has a year or two left in him, but I'd rather keep Williams above everyone else, especially if the Wings are interested.....screw them !

Lodewijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 05:59 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Here is what ive heard.

Manny has an offer from Atlanta, but doesnt want to go there.

Williams either Detroit or the KHL

Peca possible return to Buffalo

OKT took a Physical in Phili so I guess Phili is his new team.

Backman had an interview with Kroger and there considering him.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Here is what ive heard.

Manny has an offer from Atlanta, but doesnt want to go there.

Williams either Detroit or the KHL

Peca possible return to Buffalo

OKT took a Physical in Phili so I guess Phili is his new team.

Backman had an interview with Kroger and there considering him.
Kroger... I remember being on the defense last season when being critical of Backman. One quote that stands out in my memory, someone said: "he is what he is" in his defense. I hope that tired cliché is not used often for Blue Jacket players in the future.

What you have heard on all the players mentioned matches what I have read...

Last edited by Robert: 07-29-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 06:10 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I think building from within (finally, I can feel good about saying that) has filled some of the holes at all positions, with names like Filatov & Methot making Peca/Manny/Williams/OKT expendable. At first, I figured we'd re-sign one of Manny, Peca & Williams this summer. I'm surprised we haven't done that, though Pahlsson has filled some of the need for one of those players.

I'm surprised none of our UFAs have been picked up. Since they're both still UFA, I'd still feel a little better with Williams or Manny back in a CBJ jersey, preferably Jason (and if Detroit signs him for $1M & we pass on him at that price, I'm pissed). I liked Peca, but figured his ship had sailed.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Jimayo

Bret Hedican
Rob Niedermeyer
Peter Schaefer
Stephane Yelle
Maxim Afinogenov
Dominic Moore
Todd Bertuzzi
Anders Eriksson
Marcus Nilson
Rhett Warrener
Pavel Vorobiev
Darryl Sydor
Sergei Zubov
Darren McCarty
Steve Eminger(here's one for howson to go after)
Derek Armstrong
Kyle Calder
Marc-Andre Bergeron
Dan Fritsche
Martin Skoula
Francis Bouillon
Patrice Brisebois
Robert Lang
Alex Tanguay
Greg de Vries
Dean McAmmond
Mike Sillinger
Mark Bell
Blair Betts
Brendan Bell
Dmitri Kalinin
Philipe Boucher
Miroslav Satan
Peter Sykora
Marcel Goc
Mike Grier
Alexei Semenov
Dan Hinote
Manny Legace
Marek Malik
Matt Pettinger
Boyd Devereaux
Martin Gerber
Olaf Kolzig
Taylor Pyatt
Mats Sundin
Ossi Vaananen

Still a significant amount of above average UFA's.

I don't think it reflects on Columbus at all.

Jimayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
A month after the market opened and these guys are still without a job. Does that mean the Jackets had a below average team last season? .
No it doesn't. We finished 8th the West. Simple logic would tell you. Umm no.

There are teams still out there that either could spend or need to drop payroll. There are still moves to be made.

The good news is that there might be decent FA's still out there when the injuries start to hit.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 08:59 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
No it doesn't. We finished 7th in the West. Simple logic would tell you. Umm no.

There are teams still out there that either could spend or need to drop payroll. There are still moves to be made.

The good news is that there might be decent FA's still out there when the injuries start to hit.
Fixed

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
LaCosta Nostra

I wished we'd given Gratton another go. He's a good 4th liner with size and speed.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
No it doesn't. We finished 8th the West. Simple logic would tell you. Umm no.
They barely reached the playoffs, and when that was secured they couldn't keep up the pace and lost the rest of the games. In the playoffs they were kicked out in the first round losing all games. You happy with that?

It is in my opinion the signature of an average team or less, and I guess it's confirmed by the fact that the interest in Jacket UFAs is very low. BUT...it looks pretty good next season

Old
07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Jimayo

Quote:
They barely reached the playoffs, and when that was secured they couldn't keep up the pace and lost the rest of the games. In the playoffs they were kicked out in the first round losing all games. You happy with that?
Jesus. It's a definite start for an up and coming team that has never made the playoffs before.

Quote:
Jacket UFAs is very low. BUT...it looks pretty good next season
The same could be said of a lot of teams(some with far more UFA's than the bj's).

Old
07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
union artillery

Resign Jwill. He is a needed asset.

Screw Manny, he will see what he is really worth now, not much if the only offer is from ATL.

I do like Peca and wouldn't mind him centering the 4th line again. But if not I wouldn't be heartbroken.

union artillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimayo View Post
Jesus. It's a definite start for an up and coming team that has never made the playoffs before.
Of course, don't get me wrong. It was a great effort. But the situation for the Jacket UFAs told me something, I'll leave it there..

Anyway, I was also concerned about the Jackets and lack of toughness. But that was until I came across this pic of the Canucks camp last week:

Nice legs.

Old
07-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Casework

If you're insinuating that the Jackets let go of a lot of their bottom 6/fringe players, then you're absolutely correct. These aren't the guys that get snatched up on July 1. But I guarantee at least half will have a home by training camp.

It also shows me Scott Howson is a smart man. He could have rushed and re-signed these guys, especially since, hey! we made the playoffs. But he seems to have a good gauge on players' value. He could've re-signed Manny in March and we would've been thrilled. Instead we got Pahlsson who will be better for the price in the role we need him in.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 11:35 PM
RichNash61

I wouldnt let Backman bag my groceries!

Isnt so strange how the team has changed since Howson has taken over!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 04:54 AM
Jimayo

Quote:
Of course, don't get me wrong. It was a great effort. But the situation for the Jacket UFAs told me something, I'll leave it there.
Only if one ignores the UFA's of every other team out there. What the truth is is that you seem to want to think the team is worse than it is.

Old
07-30-2009, 06:54 AM
blahblah

Quote:

It is in my opinion the signature of an average team or less, and I guess it's confirmed by the fact that the interest in Jacket UFAs is very low. BUT...it looks pretty good next season
You said below average. What are you arguing?

You argument on the Jackets UFA's is flawed on some many levels.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Skraut

Quote:
A month after the market opened and these guys are still without a job. Does that mean the Jackets had a below average team last season?
It also means Columbus didn't let anybody of any value go, that Howson is doing a good job as all the players that were worth something are locked up in long term contracts.

Next offseason will be interesting as we'll have higher profile UFA's Vermette and Klesla coming up then, and it will be interesting to see if they can be kept at reasonable salaries. If not, you KNOW both will go within the first day or two.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 08:18 AM
BluejacketNut

We need to sign a few of those UFA's before the season starts. We do not have any depth on this roster. You hope to fill injury spots with the youth in your organization, but we're starting all our NHL ready youth, so if we stand pat and get hit with a couple injuries, we're in trouble as Syracuse does not have a wealth of NHL depth ready to fill in. Its only August and we still have another month and a half or so, but we need more NHL players on this team. We will have injuries, its almost a given, and right now, we dont have the depth to compete if we have a rash of injuries.

Lets throw a scenario out there, mid season, we lose Brassard, Torres and, lets say Filatov. Who do we have that can fill in for those positions?

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
But the situation for the Jacket UFAs told me something, I'll leave it there..
Did you even read this post that was several posts above yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimayo View Post
Bret Hedican
Rob Niedermeyer
Peter Schaefer
Stephane Yelle
Maxim Afinogenov
Dominic Moore
Todd Bertuzzi
Anders Eriksson
Marcus Nilson
Rhett Warrener
Pavel Vorobiev
Darryl Sydor
Sergei Zubov
Darren McCarty
Steve Eminger(here's one for howson to go after)
Derek Armstrong
Kyle Calder
Marc-Andre Bergeron
Dan Fritsche
Martin Skoula
Francis Bouillon
Patrice Brisebois
Robert Lang
Alex Tanguay
Greg de Vries
Dean McAmmond
Mike Sillinger
Mark Bell
Blair Betts
Brendan Bell
Dmitri Kalinin
Philipe Boucher
Miroslav Satan
Peter Sykora
Marcel Goc
Mike Grier
Alexei Semenov
Dan Hinote
Manny Legace
Marek Malik
Matt Pettinger
Boyd Devereaux
Martin Gerber
Olaf Kolzig
Taylor Pyatt
Mats Sundin
Ossi Vaananen

Still a significant amount of above average UFA's.

I don't think it reflects on Columbus at all.
My guess is no. Your position is total bunk.

But let's assume you're right. Doesn't that mean that a certain Norwegian blueliner is among those pieces of hockey flotsam that no one wants?

Old
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Lets throw a scenario out there, mid season, we lose Brassard, Torres and, lets say Filatov. Who do we have that can fill in for those positions?
Let's throw a scenario out there: mid-season, Detroit loses Datsyuk, Helm, and let's say Franzen. Who do they have that can fill in for those positions?

Let's throw a scenario out there: mid-season, San Jose loses Thornton, Cheechoo, and let's say Setoguchi. Who do they have that can fill in for those positions?

Let's throw a scenario out there: mid-season, Boston loses Savard, Sturm, and let's say Wheeler. Who do they have that can fill in for these positions?

Disasters are disasters no matter what team they happen to.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Is there really any team out there than can replace someone from their top line with someone that can fill in on the top line and not miss much of a beat? I doubt it. Everyone's in much the same boat.... as Viqsi points out.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:39 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Let's throw a scenario out there: mid-season, Detroit loses Datsyuk, Helm, and let's say Franzen. Who do they have that can fill in for those positions?

Let's throw a scenario out there: mid-season, San Jose loses Thornton, Cheechoo, and let's say Setoguchi. Who do they have that can fill in for those positions?

Let's throw a scenario out there: mid-season, Boston loses Savard, Sturm, and let's say Wheeler. Who do they have that can fill in for these positions?

Disasters are disasters no matter what team they happen to.
Im not concerned about those teams, im only concerned about the CBJ. And those teams will go out and get someone if that happens.

Detroit has always had good depth, because they dont play their young players under 21, they have NHL players playing until those young players develop and turn into Datsyuk's and Franzen's and the many other players in their org that make them champion contenders every year because they let their young players develop. They stock their roster with NHL caliber players, we stock our team with economical players

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
It also means Columbus didn't let anybody of any value go, that Howson is doing a good job as all the players that were worth something are locked up in long term contracts.

Next offseason will be interesting as we'll have higher profile UFA's Vermette and Klesla coming up then, and it will be interesting to see if they can be kept at reasonable salaries. If not, you KNOW both will go within the first day or two.
Yes, my point is I wasn't aware of the fact that the Jackets had so many players of little of no value last season, and it shows why they did struggle a lot. The decent result is much related to the work of Mason, we'd see more like 12th place and no playoffs without him.

Btw, consider OKT a Flyer. The way his contract will look depends on a possible move by the Flyers, that's what they are waiting for. I believe Tollefsen has agreed to the terms.