HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former Rangers' goalie Dan Blackburn reflects back

Old
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM
ftyutin51

vCash: 500
Former Rangers' goalie Dan Blackburn reflects back

http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/console.j...d=763&id=45262

Very, very sad and unfortunate what happened to Blackburn... but nice to hear/read that he's back with the Rangers.

ftyutin51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Pizza

Wonderful to see Blackie back with the org.

Makes me happy.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I just watched and must say it was nice. He gave a lot of good insight. He seems like a bright kid. I'm glad to see him doing well.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Section311

Great interview. Crazy how he did that much damage from lifting wieghts

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 01:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Wonderful to see Blackie back with the org.

Makes me happy.
If he back with the organization?

07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I was always a fan of Blackburn. I thought he had the potential to be an elite goalie. IMO, the differences in talent among professional goalies are actually quite small. It's the mental aspects of the game that separate an elite goalie from the average goalies, backups, and AHLers. Blackburn was very strong mentally. He never panicked, and he never got too down on himself. If he could have fixed the technical flaws in his game (and avoided the injury, obviously), he would have been a top-notch goalie.

Blackburn actually had an ideal situation after his draft, too. Richter was aging and would have benefited from a reduced workload. Blackburn could learn from Richter for a few years and then take the reins when Richter retired. Unfortunately, injuries to both goalies derailed that plan. (And the Rangers botched Blackburn's development pretty badly, but I won't go into that now.)

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No, he's working for the GDI.

http://www.gdihockey.com/

Old
07-29-2009, 01:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
No, he's working for the GDI.

http://www.gdihockey.com/
That's what I thought.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 01:54 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Blackburn is awesome. He was by far my favorite Ranger when he came up.

I remember seeing him in Rochester vs the Amerks during I think the Olympic break, the Rangers had sent him down to play some games (2001 or 2002 ish) IIRC.

Anyway before the game I was down in the tunnel and Blackburn came down to do warm ups and I had my Rangers jersey on and he stopped by me and said, "Rangers fan huh? Must be hard walking around this place wearing that sweater" I laughed and said yeah I get heckled and then he said, "Well how about I sign that sweater for you" and sure enough he went and grabbed a silver marker from the dressing room and signed it for me, right above the first 'R' on my blue Rangers jersey.

Then right before the game I was sitting behind the Wolfpack goal and I yelled "You rock Blackburn!" and he gave me the thumbs up. It was an amazing day and he's about as classy as it gets, especially for his age at the time. (We were the same age by the way or maybe I was a year older I don't know). I think he lost that game, 2-1 but it's been so long. He played great though.

Anyway it really sucks he got hurt I think he would have been an excellent netminder for the Rangers, but Lundqvist imo would have knocked him off the starting platform (he's just a better goalie).

In his games after Richter got hurt, does anyone remember a game he played against Montreal where he made like the sickest glove save you ever saw in your life? I think I remember talking about that on this forum, or maybe it was the old board, but regardless I remember people talking about that forever.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
It says at the bottom of the screen that he is running the Rangers' first goalie camp, so probably not with the organization so much as the Rangers hired his company. It seems to me that you could call him "affiliated" with the Rangers.

I loved watching that kid play. I loved his style and his ability. He could have been a great goalie. Imagine the goalie controversy between him and Henrik...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 02:27 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

What terrible luck.

The kid could've been good.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
It says at the bottom of the screen that he is running the Rangers' first goalie camp, so probably not with the organization so much as the Rangers hired his company. It seems to me that you could call him "affiliated" with the Rangers.

I loved watching that kid play. I loved his style and his ability. He could have been a great goalie. Imagine the goalie controversy between him and Henrik...
I think you're right. I remember reading somewhere that he was going to be working with goalies for the Rangers in some way...

...unfortunately, when I think of Blackburn, I think of all the poor goaltending talent that we used after he couldn't go anymore, like dunham and the sorts.... Before that, I was so pumped, everyone was, we all loved this guy...but now that's what I think of, the age of mediocre Ranger goalies in between Richter and Lundqvist (not including him).

That's great to hear he's such a cool person off the ice. I know the Rangers as a team like to take the pulse of their fans, listen to them very closely...do their players do as well?? Not that they wouldn't know from the Garden crowd lol, but I'm curious.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 02:51 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I was always a fan of Blackburn. I thought he had the potential to be an elite goalie. IMO, the differences in talent among professional goalies are actually quite small. It's the mental aspects of the game that separate an elite goalie from the average goalies, backups, and AHLers. Blackburn was very strong mentally. He never panicked, and he never got too down on himself. If he could have fixed the technical flaws in his game (and avoided the injury, obviously), he would have been a top-notch goalie.

Blackburn actually had an ideal situation after his draft, too. Richter was aging and would have benefited from a reduced workload. Blackburn could learn from Richter for a few years and then take the reins when Richter retired. Unfortunately, injuries to both goalies derailed that plan. (And the Rangers botched Blackburn's development pretty badly, but I won't go into that now.)

Please explain how NYR "botched" his development.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Nemchinov13

I was so happy when he was drafted. Mike was old and fragile. We didn't have any goalie prospects worth mentioning. Blackburn came in and won the job out of the camp. Like people have said, he was mentally tough and was never rocked in any of the games. The kid won 20 games before he turned 20 and was getting better. If he doesn't get injured, the possibilities are endless.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Playing him 18 straight games before dealing for Dunham probably wasn't the best thing for him.

Old
07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Playing him 18 straight games before dealing for Dunham probably wasn't the best thing for him.
He said he was up to the task and the organization felt he was. He played quite well at first but yes he did get tired and worn down after a bit. The team sucked ass and he was 18 (I think) and did an admirable job for his first NHL action. Trading for Dunham was a smart move at the time if only to allow Blackburn to develop more consistently instead of by fire.

Rangers did not botch his development, that's just ridiculous.

Old
07-29-2009, 03:18 PM
nrf83

Quote:

How is playing 18 straight botching his career? Jeez he was a young talanted goalie, if he can't handle that load than he was useless to NYR. That is not what I would call "botching his career". He played his way onto the team w/a great camp and he never looked overmatched from what I can recall, though he used to be beaten by the high shot a little to much, but coaching/technique would have cured that. You make him sound like that slug Dunham who everytime he played back to back he got hurt. IMO there was no botching, just unfortunate injury

If you want to speculate, if Dan hadn't been hurt NYR wouldnt have drafted Montoya, I think Stafford was rumored(just guess) and then we wouldn't have picked Jessiman, so hows that for Dan Blackburn screwing NYR

Old
07-29-2009, 03:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
How is playing 18 straight botching his career? Jeez he was a young talanted goalie, if he can't handle that load than he was useless to NYR. That is not what I would call "botching his career". He played his way onto the team w/a great camp and he never looked overmatched from what I can recall, though he used to be beaten by the high shot a little to much, but coaching/technique would have cured that. You make him sound like that slug Dunham who everytime he played back to back he got hurt. IMO there was no botching, just unfortunate injury

If you want to speculate, if Dan hadn't been hurt NYR wouldnt have drafted Montoya, I think Stafford was rumored(just guess) and then we wouldn't have picked Jessiman, so hows that for Dan Blackburn screwing NYR
When the kid hadn't played more than two games at a time at this level, it's not exactly fair to ask him to carry the load in net on a very flawed team. At the time everyone could see he was exhausted. Finally Sather decided he needed to get him some help.

Old
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
nrf83

Quote:
When the kid hadn't played more than two games at a time at this level, it's not exactly fair to ask him to carry the load in net on a very flawed team. At the time everyone could see he was exhausted. Finally Sather decided he needed to get him some help.
tired yes; botched no; NYR are guilty of many things that drive us crazy, but Dan's unfortunate demise was not one of them

Last edited by nrf83: 07-29-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Kodiak

Quote:
[/COLOR]

By sitting him for months and then running him into the ground when Richter was hurt. Blackburn needed to play when he made the team, and he didn't. They were still having Richter start damn near every game in the first few months of the season. He was old and battling injuries, but they were still playing him like he was going to make 70 starts. Meanwhile, Blackburn was sitting and not developing as much as he should have. I know if you just look at his stats, he played 31 games in his 1st year and 32 in his 2nd, but almost all of his starts were ones of necessity after Richter was hurt. In the early months of the season, Blackburn saw almost no playing time, and that likely would have continued if Richter stayed healthy.

A better development plan would have had Blackburn starting every 3rd or 4th game, which would let him get into a rhythm and see NHL action on a regular basis. It might have also kept Richter healthier. But this was a veteran team that needed to make the playoffs, so that never was considered.

In short, Richter and Blackburn were played like Lundqvist and Valiquette, and that type of workload was not right for either player at the time. But when I say they botched his development, I don't mean to say that the Rangers are responsible for Blackburn's fate. That was a freak accident. But that does not mean he was developed properly prior to the accident.

Old
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
nrf83

than NYR didn't botch his development; that they didn't follow your game plan, you can criticise Sather for that; but there was no botching, he wasn't around long enough;

Old
07-29-2009, 03:57 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
He said he was up to the task and the organization felt he was.
What 18 year old doesn't think he's up to the task, especially when the choices are playing in NYC and making hundreds of thousands of dollars or being returned to a Junior team that drives a bus around Canada.

It's amazing that the piece of the Dunham trade that had such a huge backlash was the inclusion of Tomas Kloucek.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 04:01 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
What 18 year old doesn't think he's up to the task, especially when the choices are playing in NYC and making hundreds of thousands of dollars or being returned to a Junior team that drives a bus around Canada.

It's amazing that the piece of the Dunham trade that had such a huge backlash was the inclusion of Tomas Kloucek.
and Zidlicky; not much of a Dman, but an obvious Offense force from blue line; Sather was under the gun and needed a goalie as Blackburn was in need of rest; he was tired, his career was not botched. His development can be criticised but saying Sather screwed his career is unjust IMO:

Old
07-29-2009, 04:03 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post

Blackburn was a very confident goalie and when he first started his NHL career you could barely tell he was a rookie. He obviously wasn't quite ready for the rigors of the NHL schedule and lets face it this team gave up a lot of shots. Wasnt this the year they have the Ulanov-Karpa pairing? If so, poor Danny.

Old
07-29-2009, 04:03 PM
pld459666

Rushing him to the NHL as an 18 year old (regardless of the 2 years prior in Juniors) Rushing a goalie to the NHL at that age is NEVER a good thing.

Blackburn spends another season or 2 in Juniors he's still playing today.

Instead they bring him to the NHL to try and fool the fan base into thinking that there's some sort of rebuild afoot only to see the injury bug bite and bite hard.

As an 18 year old kid reading the local scribes listing you as the future of the franchise, you are going to work extra hard, stay a little longer on the ice. Practive a little longer and ultimately lift more weight than you should be lifting.

Now, I'm not fitness guru, I could use one for sure, but I have to think that at some point, your body starts to wear down from over-preparation and it leaves you prone to injury.

Yes, it was a freak accident in that it was nerve damage that they waited 8 months to operate on, but had they let the kid develope properly he would not have been in the situation he was in.

As for his state of mind, sometimes being ready mentally is not a good thing if you are not ready physically and as a goalie, I find it very hard to believe that he was physically ready for the work load that it takes to be an every day NHL'er back up or no.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote