HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stralman's Departure Leaves Organization in Need of a Puckmover

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
  #1
TruthDeliveryVehicle*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Stralman's Departure Leaves Organization in Need of a Puckmover

Quote:
When Anton Stralman was moved due to the waiver situation that would present itself this October, the position he held within the Leafs organization as the heir apparent to Tomas Kaberle was left vacant. With so many pro defenseman on the roster and the fact that Stralman’s progress has been shaky and that he would be eligible for waivers made moving Stralman for a reasonable return a good option. But, the Marlies success may be hampered by the fact that they do not have much offense coming from their defense. Furthermore, with a strong offer, Kaberle could be on the move as well, which would leave the Leafs almost completely devoid of a true puckmover throughout their system.
http://www.tmlcentral.com/2009/07/st...f-a-puckmover/

Who do you guys think are our other possible options to spend a year or two developing with the Marlies in preparation to take over for Tomas Kaberle?

I think Cody Franson is a good target.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:40 AM
  #2
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lee View Post
http://www.tmlcentral.com/2009/07/st...f-a-puckmover/

Who do you guys think are our other possible options to spend a year or two developing with the Marlies in preparation to take over for Tomas Kaberle?

I think Cody Franson is a good target.
He's far from a PMD, though.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:41 AM
  #3
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Stralman was moved due to a surplus of defencemen, why would Burke go out and try to replace him now?

Funny that someone who writes about the Leafs doesn't know that Ian White is on the team.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:41 AM
  #4
ugotmybeef*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LA BABY!!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
I mentioned that earlier how we need one more stud forward prospect and one puck moving D prospect. Everyone seems intent on trading Kaberle without checking the implications of what a move would do. Poor transition game, young guy's dont' produce, lack of development etc. If you have one in place, trading Kabs is a smart move, but if you don't you're stuck.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
  #5
bluumax
Registered User
 
bluumax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: england
Country: England
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
our defense is solid at the least. the next step for this team is a top six forward.

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:46 AM
  #6
Raptactics29
Registered User
 
Raptactics29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 500
Cody Franson would be a sweet addition, I like 6'5, 220lbs Dmen who can skate and shot.. I'd be very happy if we could land him

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:46 AM
  #7
stoney
Registered User
 
stoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Stralman was moved due to a surplus of defencemen, why would Burke go out and try to replace him now?

Funny that someone who writes about the Leafs doesn't know that Ian White is on the team.
Talking about the farm system lacking offensive defensemen.

It wouldn't hurt getting something thrown into a trade to possibly fill the gap on the Marlies.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
  #8
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
I mentioned that earlier how we need one more stud forward prospect and one puck moving D prospect. Everyone seems intent on trading Kaberle without checking the implications of what a move would do. Poor transition game, young guy's dont' produce, lack of development etc. If you have one in place, trading Kabs is a smart move, but if you don't you're stuck.
Easy cowboy. Moving Kaberle will NOT cripple the development of our youth or kill their production. Burke said that Schenn was our best outlet passer last year and we still have White and MVR who are both good puck movers and can anchor the pp's. Moving Kaberle obviously is tough but your really stretching things here. There are also teams with a good number of d prospects so another trade could be made. look at NAS and NYR for example.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
  #9
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
Talking about the farm system lacking offensive defensemen.

It wouldn't hurt getting something thrown into a trade to possibly fill the gap on the Marlies.
Sign a career AHL defender to a contract.

I'm sure there are some out there.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:52 AM
  #10
stoney
Registered User
 
stoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Sign a career AHL defender to a contract.

I'm sure there are some out there.
I don't think Nolan Baumgartner is the answer for the future. Haha

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
  #11
ugotmybeef*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LA BABY!!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Easy cowboy. Moving Kaberle will NOT cripple the development of our youth or kill their production. Burke said that Schenn was our best outlet passer last year and we still have White and MVR who are both good puck movers and can anchor the pp's. Moving Kaberle obviously is tough but your really stretching things here. There are also teams with a good number of d prospects so another trade could be made. look at NAS and NYR for example.
when your best puck mover will barely top the 30 point barrier you know you're in trouble. How are you supposed to create offence when you can't fully move the puck up the zone. To acquire one you have to give to get, meaning what you want for Kabs (Kessel like package) is not what you're going to get.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 11:57 AM
  #12
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
He's far from a PMD, though.
There is definately a misconception that a player who is good offensively is automatically a good puck mover. MVR is good offensively, but not necessarily a good puck mover. He needs a puck mover to be successful. Kaberle is an elite puck mover, and is good offensively but he has his weaknesses in the offensive zone. White is as close to Kaberle as we have as a puck mover, but he is above avaerage at best.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:00 PM
  #13
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
I don't think Nolan Baumgartner is the answer for the future. Haha
I meant for this year, if there isn't a prospect that can be had for cheap.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
  #14
stoney
Registered User
 
stoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I meant for this year, if there isn't a prospect that can be had for cheap.
I don't know. If they can't find a stud, maybe they should see if someone can alter their game to suit?

There are tonnes of options. But it would be nice to trade for a "Stralman" from somewhere else that still has a chance to blossom. Especially if it means giving up an aging PK'er (Mayers)

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:06 PM
  #15
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
when your best puck mover will barely top the 30 point barrier you know you're in trouble. How are you supposed to create offence when you can't fully move the puck up the zone. To acquire one you have to give to get, meaning what you want for Kabs (Kessel like package) is not what you're going to get.
Maybe you could not put words in my mouth. I have never mentioned Kessel. The only time I would have would have been when that trade almost happened. I'm not expecting the world for Kaberle like some. With increased ice time you don't expect anyone's point totals to go up? We can move Stemp back to the point on the pp if needed. There are always options and moving Kaberle is a good one.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
  #16
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
Talking about the farm system lacking offensive defensemen.

It wouldn't hurt getting something thrown into a trade to possibly fill the gap on the Marlies.
I don't think that throw in to a trade is going to be part of the future.

Someone was looking for something to write about and made up a scenario, that's all this is.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
  #17
ugotmybeef*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LA BABY!!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Maybe you could not put words in my mouth. I have never mentioned Kessel. The only time I would have would have been when that trade almost happened. I'm not expecting the world for Kaberle like some. With increased ice time you don't expect anyone's point totals to go up? We can move Stemp back to the point on the pp if needed. There are always options and moving Kaberle is a good one.
so you're going to put Stempniak on D for 5 on 5 a well. I mentioned Kessel like package, highly toughted young player, not the package itself. Maybe you should clean the garbage stuck to your eyes.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
  #18
TruthDeliveryVehicle*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Stralman was moved due to a surplus of defencemen, why would Burke go out and try to replace him now?

Funny that someone who writes about the Leafs doesn't know that Ian White is on the team.
I was talking about the organizational need. The Marlies don't have anyone, and although I like Ian White. I don't think he's ever going to be Kaberle's replacement. He's a solid 5-6th defenseman who can move the puck.

Everyone knows about Ian White, I was trying to highlight guys that people don't know who play that type of game.

Not sure why you're so belligerent all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get over yourself.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:25 PM
  #19
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!
 
AlienWorkShop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Kaberle's only 31. If Burke's keeping him around now, I'd imagine he's in for the long haul and puckmovers like him have some longevity. As a quick example, Lidstrom (not that I'm comparing their skill levels) is still going strong into his late 30s. Leetch was very good for us at 36, the lockout was probably what really slowed him down.

Kaberle's easily got 5-8 years of effective play left in him. I don't see the rush for an up and coming puckmoving defenceman just yet. Even then, we've got White to fill in as a secondary puck mover.

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:28 PM
  #20
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
Kaberle's only 31. If Burke's keeping him around now, I'd imagine he's in for the long haul and puckmovers like him have some longevity. As a quick example, Lidstrom (not that I'm comparing their skill levels) is still going strong into his late 30s. Leetch was very good for us at 36, the lockout was probably what really slowed him down.

Kaberle's easily got 5-8 years of effective play left in him. I don't see the rush for an up and coming puckmoving defenceman just yet. Even then, we've got White to fill in as a secondary puck mover.
Leetch also had injury issues and surgery that caught up to him. Kaberle's game isn't too physically demanding, so he should have some longevity.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
  #21
LTL
Registered User
 
LTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.T
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,288
vCash: 500
Are there no short term solutions via the UFA until we draft and develop from within?

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
  #22
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
so you're going to put Stempniak on D for 5 on 5 a well. I mentioned Kessel like package, highly toughted young player, not the package itself. Maybe you should clean the garbage stuck to your eyes.
Or you could. If you'd actually take the time to read a post you may understand things better. I said Stemp on the PP which deals with that problem. Schenn was considered by management to be our best outlet passer last year not Kaberle. White is a good young offensive dman. MVR is a two way dman with a strong outlet pass. Beauchemin was used on Anaheim's pp and has a strong outlet pass. Really get a clue. With the Kessel like package you mentioned. You said you won't get the kind of package you expect for Kaberle. That is addressing me personally when your responding to my post. So yeah wake up and read a post before responding.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
  #23
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,748
vCash: 500
No rush for a puck mover, as there is no openings in the next couple seasons anyway on the Leafs.

Let's just let the kids play and who knows what will happen on the Marlies.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:33 PM
  #24
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lee View Post
I was talking about the organizational need. The Marlies don't have anyone, and although I like Ian White. I don't think he's ever going to be Kaberle's replacement. He's a solid 5-6th defenseman who can move the puck.

Everyone knows about Ian White, I was trying to highlight guys that people don't know who play that type of game.

Not sure why you're so belligerent all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get over yourself.
Didn't know it was your article but that doesn't change my response. I assumed that someone promoting another hockey site on HFBoards wasn't allowed but I'm wrong I guess.

The Leafs have the option of re-signing Kaberle and they still have Ian White despite your low opinion of him and there is a draft next year too. Plenty of options and if there wasn't I am sure that Stralman would be kept around.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 01:47 PM
  #25
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lee View Post
Not sure why you're so belligerent all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get over yourself.
Seconded.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.