HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs contend with tampering twitter over Sedin signings - The Province

Old
07-03-2009, 10:26 AM
LTL

vCash: 500
Leafs contend with tampering twitter over Sedin signings - The Province

EDIT: Wilson interview: MP3

Quote:
For a couple of days now, Internet message boards have been humming with amateur sleuths who have been trying to determine if the Toronto Maple Leafs should be investigated for tampering with the Sedin twins.

Even if most media have ignored this story, they are not alone.

Privately, team execs have been wondering the same thing. Did Leafs coach Ron Wilson breach NHL bylaws on a Toronto radio show when he suggested his team was targeting the Sedin twins a day before the start of free agency?

"I heard what he said and it seems to be a clear-cut case of tampering. He basically tells those two free agents: 'Hey, we're coming for you, wait for us,'" one NHL executive said. "There's not a question in my mind. It could have left the Canucks high and dry. Look at what he said, then look at what (Leafs GM) Brian Burke did. He flew to Sweden."

------------------------

Later it was learned that just after Wilson made those comments, Burke was on his way to Sweden on an overnight transatlantic flight.

The NHL's rigid tampering rules leave almost no wiggle room. The punishment is severe and can include fines, suspensions, and loss of draft picks. And the NHL vowed it would take any tampering case seriously heading into this free agent season.

Recently, each NHL team received stern memos which they had to sign off on, warning them about the league's strict tampering rules. Teams were warned the rules didn't just apply to GMs; they covered every employee and representative. Breaches were going to be dealt with severely. Under NHL bylaw, 15 organizational employees are not permitted to express interest in any player belonging to another NHL club.

The bylaw states tampering to be: "The making or causing to be made through any medium, public or private, any statement indicating any intention or desire of or interest in acquiring the services (of a player on another club)."

--------------

"It is our understanding that clubs are not entitled to express interest in a player belonging to another NHL organization," Burke said last summer.

"Our understanding is that such an expression of interest constitutes tampering."

According to NHL bylaw 15, Burke is right.

Making this case more serious are reports out of Toronto that Burke flew to Sweden on the eve of free agency because he was going to make a big-money offer to the Sedins.

The Sedins agreed to their deal with the Canucks only hours before becoming free agents and it happened while Burke was en route. The Sedins' agent JP Barry made it clear the Sedins spent a lot of time thinking about all of their options before signing.
Glad the Sedins signed in Vancouver anyhow.

Last edited by LTL: 07-03-2009 at 11:32 AM.
LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
sgupca

Great, hopefully this doesn't cost us our 1st

It's always good when our coach and GM don't follow the rules.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:36 AM
wendelclark17

If Wilson/Burke wanted to put it in the media that the Leafs wanted to sign the Sedins, they would have done it a lot earlier than the night before free agency.

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
KapG

Can't they just keep their traps shut sometimes when it comes to the media? I mean, I know these guys like to get their faces out there but this is just beyond stupid. These guys are professional and should know better then to say this kind of crap.

PS. I too am glad the nucks got the Twins. I would have been hard pressed chearing for this team with them in the Blue and White

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:40 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Great, hopefully this doesn't cost us our 1st

It's always good when our coach and GM don't follow the rules.
The Sedins signed in Vancouver so IMO this is case closed. Had the alternative happened then the Canucks could have actioned on the issue.

CASE CLOSED

Old
07-03-2009, 10:41 AM
leafs123

i think it will be a fine rather than a pick penalty since they remained with the team

leafs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:43 AM
mooseOAK*

Slow news day in Vancouver, I guess.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:44 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post

Can't they just keep their traps shut sometimes when it comes to the media? I mean, I know these guys like to get their faces out there but this is just beyond stupid. These guys are professional and should know better then to say this kind of crap.

PS. I too am glad the nucks got the Twins. I would have been hard pressed chearing for this team with them in the Blue and White
Sorry but who is "they"?

I haven't even heard the interview but I thought Wilson was the one that whatever it was that was said.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:44 AM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
gustavsson?

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Burke can just lie and say he flew to Sweden for Jonas. Wilson however...yeah, no escaping that.

Fine at the worst, I hope.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Sorry but who is "they"?

I haven't even heard the interview but I thought Wilson was the one that whatever it was that was said.
When I say they I mean Ron Wilson and Burke. You are right about this issue, it was Ron wilson who spoke.

Old
draeko17

much ado about nothing.

draeko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFF View Post
gustavsson?
The question I have is why did Burke go over to Sweden on July 1st when he wasn't scheduled to meet up with Gustavsson until much later that week. Today actually, I believe.

Wouldn't it be just like this team to miss out on both the Sedins and then get robbed of their 1st because of tampering, along with the 2nd and 4th we already miss..

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:48 AM
dissociater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Burke can just lie and say he flew to Sweden for Jonas. Wilson however...yeah, no escaping that.

Fine at the worst, I hope.
What were his exact words?

dissociater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Puck

Is Wilson's interview online somewhere

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
The question I have is why did Burke go over to Sweden on July 1st when he wasn't scheduled to meet up with Gustavsson until much later that week. Today actually, I believe.
Yeah but wasn't Francois Allaire with Burke on the trip to Sweden? Why bring a goalie coach if the Sedin's are the sole purpose.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:49 AM
LTL

Question for anyone living out West:

Is The Province a reputable newspaper in Vancouver or is it the equivalent of the Toronto Sun here?

Old
07-03-2009, 10:49 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post

Wouldn't it be just like this team to miss out on both the Sedins and then get robbed of their 1st because of tampering, along with the 2nd and 4th we already miss..
Perhaps he just wanted to do some sight seeing before meeting up with the Monster?

Seriously though...

Of course it's speculation but one would have to think it would be to see the Twins?

Old
07-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Paris in Flames

Pierre McGuire (on Free Agent Frenzy Day..special thingy) did say Sweden is beautiful this time of the year. Not cold, a lot of sun and people like to go and "have lots of fun" at the beach.

Burkie clearly just wanted some sun before meeting with Jonas. I don't know how clear it could be.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:54 AM
eyeball11

At the end of the day the rule itself is a bunch of crap to begin with, IMO. Is anyone naive enough to think that every GM isn't going to consider all options? Is any player naive enough to think they might not get offers from other teams if they hit the market? Are we worried that this becomes leverage to screw another GM over? I'm sorry but if I am the GM of a team, I know that everyone can make a play and I just make my offer and set an amount I won't go over for someone's services. If they don't like that, then they get to test the waters. Whatever.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:56 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Dog View Post
Is Wilson's interview online somewhere
Here Burt:
Quote:
Ron Wilson
Maple Leafs Head Coach with Bob McCown & Jeff Blair

* Tuesday, June 30th, 2009

The Head Coach for the Maple Leafs talks with Prime Time Sports about the NHL Draft, in addition to free agent goaltender Jonas Gustafsson and the Sedin Twins.

MP3 Link

Old
07-03-2009, 10:56 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

That's a pretty serious allegation. I remember hearing about Wilson's comment, but I never heard it. What exactly did he say? That being the case, several things stand out to me.

- Wilson is the coach. Not the general manager. He has no official input on acquiring players. I can't see it being too much of an issue.

- Burke flying to Sweden means nothing in of itself. He's hot on the trail of Gustavsson, remember? It makes sense he would be there, anyway, even if he were attempting to lure them.

- The Sedins signed with Vancouver. So far I haven't heard any actual evidence that Burke even spoke to the Sedins.

Just some speculation from a bunch of kids with a 3rd and 4th generation inferiority complex.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Mr Scarface*

This might cost a 1st round pick, or a second. So I think it's good for this organization, cause Toronto has never been FANTASTIC at drafting playaz and playettez. So maybe you are better off. I think Burke will make some beautiful trade because all this, and this makes the Leafs... a much better team, instantly. I like it. Go Leafs!!!!!!!

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

The Sedins went to the Nucks, enough said.

If leafs got them this issue would be ver serious.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:04 AM
TOG26

You could probably go to many media outlets who have interviewed coaches and have asked the question "Would you be interested in signing ______?" and I bet there are dozens where the coach has answered yes. Only difference is this is Toronto and the media decides to blow everything up to keep interest.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote