HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2009 II

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2009, 05:14 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I completely disagree. The whooping is not inevitable. Murphy never hit anyone nearly as hard as Green did in the mere clips above. All things equal; throw hits = fan favorite. There is someone much more likely to hear it than him the way i see things. While seemingly initially reserved for offensive minded defensemen, it is much more like to be cast upon a dman that is not physical yet has the size to play that way. I think you are misjudging the modern day politically correct kinda educated average fan to think the fans at Verizon will be dogging Green like that.

They have even started doing it to opposing players, amazingly. Times have changed folks.
Sometimes your devotion or obsession with physical play seems to blind you from other nearly as obvious things. Many Caps fans describe Green as a LIABILITY in his own zone. The hitting has no effect on the fact that there are enough that think he sucks on defense and ride him constantly over it that whooping is on the table.

Old
08-04-2009, 06:45 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Ovechkin Russian Interview

Have you guys seen this? Apparently he likes sex before & after the game, I wonder if anyone else is included? Wink/wink/nudge/nudge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IM-0s1HSw0

Old
08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Sometimes your devotion or obsession with physical play seems to blind you from other nearly as obvious things. Many Caps fans describe Green as a LIABILITY in his own zone. The hitting has no effect on the fact that there are enough that think he sucks on defense and ride him constantly over it that whooping is on the table.
They're idiots, and they should be whooping McPhee for having zero creativity/vision with regards to his defense.

You can't convince me they haven't had the bullets in the gun to improve their D AND make room for Alzner and/or Carlson.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
txpd

i didnt say they were right. i said they are there. those that whooped murphy out of town were idiots too.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
I guess we'll just see what we'll see. IIRC you have a bad track record going head to head with me. How many MORE years do you think Green needs before you admit the fans like him? He is already entering his 5th season, and coming off a Norris runner up. There are other candidates in line ahead of him that I consider much more a liability to our defense than him.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 08-05-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old
08-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
From Dimitry Chesnokov's Twitter about 3hours ago:
Quote:
More news on Nylander is coming later today.

Old
08-05-2009, 06:50 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

It would be like Christmas in August!

Make it happen Ted!

Old
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
txpd

Quote:
I guess we'll just see what we'll see. IIRC you have a bad track record going head to head with me. How many MORE years do you think Green needs before you admit the fans like him? He is already entering his 5th season, and coming off a Norris runner up. There are other candidates in line ahead of him that I consider much more a liability to our defense than him.
Seems to me that both Drake and Strung are basically saying. Are you oblivious to the strident complaints about Green from some here? Those complaints don't come from me. I love Green. He is capable of 50 goals from defense in a season and his own zone play improves as his games increase.

That doesn't mean there are not many here at elsewhere that are not highly critical of Green. That would not want him on their team.

Last edited by txpd: 08-05-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old
08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
From Dimitry Chesnokov's Twitter about 3hours ago:

More news on Nylander is coming later today.

Old
08-05-2009, 09:07 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Seems to me that both Drake and Strung are basically saying. Are you oblivious to the strident complaints about Green from some here? Those complaints don't come from me. I love Green. He is capable of 50 goals from defense in a season and his own zone play improves as his games increase.

That doesn't mean there are not many here at elsewhere that are not highly critical of Green. That would not want him on their team.
I think the lady doth protest too much. Who here is overly critical of Mike Green?

Outside of Pitt, Boston, and Detroit fans, there's like 5 people on HF who dislike Green.

Old
08-05-2009, 09:18 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:

I just think the whooping thing is misunderstood by fans. And you are getting all worked up over something hasnt even happened. When is the last time that a great caps player was heckled by his own fans EVERY time he touched the puck. In the modern politically correct league, they actually do it to opposing players now. You dont see a change happening around you? Ovi has made this a hockey town more than ever.

It was singled out for Murphy Gonchar Hatcher and Witt. The latter two only after they largely stopped hitting/fighting. the other two because they had miscues in the defensive zone, more than the steady eddies fans got used to, like Langway Stevens Engbloom etc. Now they are used to Mo and Sarge. Hardly setting the bar high these days.

I just feel if Green was going to get it, it would have actually occurred when his miscues in our own zone peaked, which now i would like to think was years ago. We are talking the likes of home fans heckling their Bobby Orr. I know some fans are dumb, but the days of the 101 section redneck fans with their boots duct taped banging the aluminum bleachers has passed. That ship has sailed and this case is closed.

Old
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
"So you're saying there's a chance?"

SNOWNADO!

Old
08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
"So you're saying there's a chance?"

SNOWNADO!
I just hate getting those kind of rumors first thing in the morning....messes up the rest of my day when nothing comes out more than a random quote from some KHL GM or official saying how great spins are in the neutral zone.

Old
08-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

My guess is that it's just further clarification as to what Boudreau actually said, where there will be something of a retrenchment. "Told me I'm no good," will become, "implied I was no good, though not in so many words." That kind of thing.

Old
08-05-2009, 09:59 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
My guess is that it's just further clarification as to what Boudreau actually said, where there will be something of a retrenchment. "Told me I'm no good," will become, "implied I was no good, though not in so many words." That kind of thing.
My guess was along the lines of Strungout's about a KHL GM comment, but you are probably right that it relates to that quote, which likely was a little more nuanced or detailed even when he originally said it.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:03 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
My guess was along the lines of Strungout's about a KHL GM comment, but you are probably right that it relates to that quote, which likely was a little more nuanced or detailed even when he originally said it.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Chesnokov said he was going to try to interview Omsk's GM Bardin on Tuesday so that could well be it. Everything previously quoted from Bardin in the past was from other media interviews.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Foy

Quote:
I just think the whooping thing is misunderstood by fans. And you are getting all worked up over something hasnt even happened. When is the last time that a great caps player was heckled by his own fans EVERY time he touched the puck. In the modern politically correct league, they actually do it to opposing players now. You dont see a change happening around you? Ovi has made this a hockey town more than ever.

It was singled out for Murphy Gonchar Hatcher and Witt. The latter two only after they largely stopped hitting/fighting. the other two because they had miscues in the defensive zone, more than the steady eddies fans got used to, like Langway Stevens Engbloom etc. Now they are used to Mo and Sarge. Hardly setting the bar high these days.

I just feel if Green was going to get it, it would have actually occurred when his miscues in our own zone peaked, which now i would like to think was years ago. We are talking the likes of home fans heckling their Bobby Orr. I know some fans are dumb, but the days of the 101 section redneck fans with their boots duct taped banging the aluminum bleachers has passed. That ship has sailed and this case is closed.
I don't remember Goocher or Witt getting Wooped that much until after they left, and for Witt it wasn't that bad then. He's so freaking irrelevant now.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:28 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I don't remember Goocher or Witt getting Wooped that much until after they left, and for Witt it wasn't that bad then. He's so freaking irrelevant now.
Maybe I am mistaken. I do seem to remember a smattering of whoops for those two but maybe it was after they left. Its all so misunderstood by most, few know the origin. I always thought it was "wuss wuss". And I thought it was reserved for players that played soft. Murphy was the softest defensemen in his era. Hatch got it only after he stopped fighting. Back in the day, often the softest player was the offensive defensemen (now its the whole core). Standing next to Stevens and Langway, the bar was obviously set so high, few could match their level of play. And they heard it.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Per Walton (as well as the Bears, and the Caps), Giroux signs to stay in Hershey.

I'm a little surprised he didn't find a better-paying spot somewhere in Europe, or rather didn't accept one if it was ever offered. Mixed feelings, obviously this is great for the Bears but I hope this doesn't have too big an impact on pushing prospects out (Osala, Broda if he's signed, etc.). Not a huge deal since Bourque will still create an opening no matter what, though.

Defending the Calder Cup just got a bit more realistic I'd say.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Appears #40 has officially changed his NHL name to Semyon Varlamov for this coming season.

Newsworthy...I know.

Old
08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:

"He told me he didn't think I was good enough. That's pretty straight-forward to me."
i dont know, i sort of feel bad for nyles...

Old
08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
"He told me he didn't think I was good enough. That's pretty straight-forward to me."
i dont know, i sort of feel bad for nyles...
I would be willing to bet that Boudreau never said any such thing. Now did Boudreau scratch him, give him limited minutes, do everything possible under the circumstances to imply that he thinks Nylander is no good? It certainly looked that way last season. I would lay money that those actual words didn't escape his lips, though.

Old
08-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
I would be willing to bet that Boudreau never said any such thing. Now did Boudreau scratch him, give him limited minutes, do everything possible under the circumstances to imply that he thinks Nylander is no good? It certainly looked that way last season. I would lay money that those actual words didn't escape his lips, though.
You probably right... i guess because it is off season and i dont see him circle in to oblivion… kind of loosing my edge/dislike of Mr Nyles.

Old
08-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

I don't remember there ever being serious wooping for Gonchar while he was here and that man coughed the puck up quite a bit. I don't see anything wrong with wooping players when they return from another team though. Green has his own fan club and he's one of a kind, besides, I see him becoming a better all around player with time, he only has to full seasons under his belt and he's really young. I can't imagine any one would take any emerging handful of hecklers seriously, thats just part of any sport; I'm sure management and the players understand that.

Closed Thread