HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avs 2010-2011

Old
08-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
If this is all true (and I agree that it is), the Avs need to showcase Wolski during the first half of this season - playing Center - and trade him at the deadline.

Everyone can argue if Wolski is a good or crappy center, but I think we can all agree that he is a MUCH better Center than Wing. And if he's not playing at center 2-3 years from now, we need to deal him while we can still get value in return.
I much prefer Wolski at wing than center. He's an ok NHL center, but he's probably the most talented scoring winger we have on the team, outside Hejduk. Stoa, Stewart, and Jones are complimentary players for skilled guys on the top lines, but having a winger that is talented with the puck, and can make plays happen is a very important piece to the rebuild.

I'm not opposed to trading Wolski, but only if they are in a position to, and plan on drafting a guy like Hall or Kabanov, or if Stoa and Stewart take huge strides in their development this season. Plus for some reason, Duchene and Wolski seem like they would make good linemates, and Wojtek legitimizes that second line a bit more than just Stewart and Jones/Stoa or Svatos.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
ABasin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I much prefer Wolski at wing than center. He's an ok NHL center, but he's probably the most talented scoring winger we have on the team, outside Hejduk. Stoa, Stewart, and Jones are complimentary players for skilled guys on the top lines, but having a winger that is talented with the puck, and can make plays happen is a very important piece to the rebuild.

I'm not opposed to trading Wolski, but only if they are in a position to, and plan on drafting a guy like Hall or Kabanov, or if Stoa and Stewart take huge strides in their development this season.
Well said.

The thing about Wolski is that his production still isn't equaling his offensive talent. Someone's got to figure this out. If they are going to trade him, I do like the idea of showcasing him.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

I'm not opposed to trading Wolski, but only if they are in a position to, and plan on drafting a guy like Hall or Kabanov, or if Stoa and Stewart take huge strides in their development this season. Plus for some reason, Duchene and Wolski seem like they would make good linemates, and Wojtek legitimizes that second line a bit more than just Stewart and Jones/Stoa or Svatos.
His moves are fantastic too so having him work center with the defensive responsibility is awkward. We need to scheme his so that he can hang back at least part of the time and try to spring him on odd man breaks. I can't understand why a guy with the moves he has displayed in the shootout can't bury it more with other skaters on the ice. The way we use him has to be at least partially to blame.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
His moves are fantastic too so having him work center with the defensive responsibility is awkward. We need to scheme his so that he can hang back at least part of the time and try to spring him on odd man breaks. I can't understand why a guy with the moves he has displayed in the shootout can't bury it more with other skaters on the ice. The way we use him has to be at least partially to blame.
Could it be because we play him on the wing?
All I'm going to say about Wolski is this:
He got to the National Hockey League by playing Center up until the NHL, not wing.
He did play well last year when he was placed on Center for that short stint. That can't be ignored.

My point is simply:
How many points has he got on the Wing in how many games vs. How many he made at Center in how many games.

That's all I'm going to say about this here.
Feel free to rip into me.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
The Pwnerer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhasX View Post
He got to the National Hockey League by playing Center up until the NHL, not wing.
He did play well last year when he was placed on Center for that short stint. That can't be ignored.

My point is simply:
How many points has he got on the Wing in how many games vs. How many he made at Center in how many games.

I think a good reason for his hot streak when he was a center was the fact he got to play on the top line with Duke and Smyth, add to that a lot more playing time since at that point in the season we were stuck by the injury bug at its worse. I personally want Wolski to play wing in the upcoming season, if Duchene is sent back to juniors that would be the only time Id put Wolski to center.

The Pwnerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:

My point is simply:

Bingo. I 350% agree with EVERYTHING you said, which I why I said we should trade him now if he's not playing at Center.

Sure he's got great moves in the shootout, but it hasn't equated to him being a great wing/sniper.

When he played alongside Sakic I thought he was a bust. Last year when he finally pleaded with the coaches to put him at Center, that's when we all started to notice his game.

If they kick him back to Wing I think you're going to see his stock plummet. And I want to get rid of him now before you're 3 deep with centers and you can't even put him at Wing anymore to prop up his trade value.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
People here are taking having players in the right positions too seriously. We're long ways away from climbing back to the top, so just keep all the young talent we can, instead of this, we have 3 good centers, we have to get rid of one.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Avsboy

We shouldn't get rid of Wolski because his SO performance alone gets us an extra 10 points a year.

And there is nothing wrong with three great young centers.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:03 AM
El_Loco_Avs

There's also the possibility of him breaking out and playing well as a LW with Stastny en Duke.

Lots of experimenting to do this pre-season.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:59 AM
AyVee

Quote:
Bingo. I 350% agree with EVERYTHING you said, which I why I said we should trade him now if he's not playing at Center.
I don't think we should trade him unless we ABSOLUTELY have to, and we're given no other option after we've tried everything. In which is a worst-case scenario, so trading Wolski's probably be the least of our worries at that point, lol.
Besides, what would we trade him for that we don't already have IN him as a 23 yr. old playmaker?
....okay, well a higher defensively intelligent 23 yr. old playmaker, but how many of those are out there?
Semin
Parise
Brown
Booth
Ladd
Who would make any of those trades?
Unless you wanna trade for age...
Booth and Ladd would be...interesting, but if it seems Wolski is going to have a breakout year, I'd rather not trade him at all.
------------------
Okay, I lied. NOW I'm not posting anything more on the subjecct.
...Where's the 'sorry' smilie?

-------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
I think a good reason for his hot streak when he was a center was the fact he got to play on the top line with Duke and Smyth, add to that a lot more playing time since at that point in the season we were stuck by the injury bug at its worse. I personally want Wolski to play wing in the upcoming season, if Duchene is sent back to juniors that would be the only time Id put Wolski to center.
Very good point (s).

Old
08-04-2009, 11:44 AM
neus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
They really don't play a similar game though. We should sign Rafalski type to mentor Shattenkirk.
How about Raffi for your guys 1st and 4th next year?????

neus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
ggmoney71

Interesting line ups. Do we expect the Avs to have a 36 million dollar payroll next season? Uh no so these line ups a lot of you are putting just are not going to happen.

We are position ourselves to get some young UFA talent, we are one of FEW teams that can even remotely afford them. So Frolov and Ilya are in play in fact I posted some time ago bring both of them (the Russians are coming). The would be a dream.

Second I don't see us pursuing ANY player over 30 and would not be surprised if Foote wasn't moved. But if Gaunce somehow makes this team I would be stunned. I was at the rookie/young development camp last month - he was horrible.

ggmoney71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
so trading Wolski's probably be the least of our worries at that point, lol.
Besides, what would we trade him for that we don't already have IN him as a 23 yr. old playmaker?
Trade him for an actually legit wing.

He's a completely different player at wing than center.

I distinctly remember when he made the switch to center last year. I was on a business trip and couldn't watch the Avs play. I came home, went to the next home game (I had season tix) and I had to do a double take that the guy who just skated through 3 people and actually ripped off a nice shot was Wolski. I heard then from my friend that he had made the position switch while I was gone.

Stick him back on the wing and let him become a marginal player again this year I guess - if he couldn't show all of this skill with Sakic drawing in the defense, I sure don't see it happening with Stastny.

I'm not knocking Wolski here, because I think he's a fine young player. But when a guy pleads with the coaching staff to be put back to center then isn't it pretty obvious he a) doesn't like wing or b) believes he can't be an effective wing. That stint sure gave him some incentive to make plays I had never seen from Wolski ever in his career, so it lit a fire somewhere.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:

I distinctly remember when he made the switch to center last year. I was on a business trip and couldn't watch the Avs play. I came home, went to the next home game (I had season tix) and I had to do a double take that the guy who just skated through 3 people and actually ripped off a nice shot was Wolski. I heard then from my friend that he had made the position switch while I was gone.

Stick him back on the wing and let him become a marginal player again this year I guess - if he couldn't show all of this skill with Sakic drawing in the defense, I sure don't see it happening with Stastny.

I'm not knocking Wolski here, because I think he's a fine young player. But when a guy pleads with the coaching staff to be put back to center then isn't it pretty obvious he a) doesn't like wing or b) believes he can't be an effective wing. That stint sure gave him some incentive to make plays I had never seen from Wolski ever in his career, so it lit a fire somewhere.
I have no clue why you seem to think he's useless at wing and useful at center. When he made the switch to center, after about 7 games, he was no better than he was at wing. He played quite well those 7 games, but then just disappeared as he has at wing. If he works his butt off, it doesn't matter if he plays wing or center he'll put up points at either position. I'm in the camp that him on wing with Stastny and Hejduk would be best.

avs1dacup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Centre's a completely different position than LW altogether! (note: not laughing at you)
But like I asked before, who would you trade him for at LW? Playmaker would fit best, but exceptions can be made I guess.

Last edited by AyVee: 08-04-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
I have no clue why you seem to think he's useless at wing and useful at center. When he made the switch to center, after about 7 games, he was no better than he was at wing. He played quite well those 7 games, but then just disappeared as he has at wing. If he works his butt off, it doesn't matter if he plays wing or center he'll put up points at either position. I'm in the camp that him on wing with Stastny and Hejduk would be best.
I agree.

IMO he has no future on this team at centre. Not with Stastny and Duchene taking the top 2 lines, and O'Reilly likely the third (Im talking long term of course, not next year).

However we could most definitely use a young, potential 30 goal winger (which is what Wolski is capable of if he reaches his potential) to go along with some of our other wingers like Stewart, Jones, Stoa, etc.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:48 AM
jfc64

We need to sign some UFA:s next season, if we want to join the cup race, which will only happen if Forsberg is fit. Some suggestions:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents...type=capnumber

Wolski (2.8) (R) - Stastny (6.6) - Hejduk
Forsberg - Duchesne (0.9-3.4) - Jones (0.838)
Galiardi (0.875) - (Hensick (0.85) (R) - Stewart (0.85) (R)
McLeod (1.033) - Stoa - Tootoo

Shattenkirk - Liles (4.2)
Quincey (0.525) (R) - Preissing (2.75)
Hannan (4.5) - Foote/Clark
Klesla

Anderson (1.812)
Budaj/Hiller

And let's trade Svatos, a prospect and a pick for Dustin Tokarski (Tampa goalie prospect).

Last edited by jfc64: 08-19-2009 at 12:01 PM.
jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
We need to sign some UFA:s next season, if we want to join the cup race, which will only happen if Forsberg is fit. Some suggestions:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents...type=capnumber

Wolski (2.8) (R) - Stastny (6.6) - Hejduk
Forsberg - Duchesne (0.9-3.4) - Jones (0.838)
Galiardi (0.875) - (Hensick (0.85) (R) - Stewart (0.85) (R)
McLeod (1.033) - Stoa - Tootoo

Shattenkirk - Liles (4.2)
Quincey (0.525) (R) - Preissing (2.75)
Hannan (4.5) - Foote/Clark
Klesla

Anderson (1.812)
Budaj/Hiller

And let's trade Svatos, a prospect and a pick for Dustin Tokarski (Tampa goalie prospect).
I don't for a second believe that's a cup contending team.

Huis Clos is offline   Reply With Quote