HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Dubinsky contract update 9/4 See Post #1071

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2009, 06:07 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Well, they certainly wanted to keep him. But they could have probably gotten him signed to a Parise type deal.

As far as your last comment, who is? Those two, along with Ovechkin, make the most money in the league. Stastny makes 2 million less than both Malkin and Crosby. It's not as though he's getting paid to their level, and he shouldn't be. But he's worth what he's getting.
I guess, its a pretty long term contract so they have him for awhile..but I think he could have been had for less then 6.6M. Maybe 6? or 5.5M? I think the Avs quickly accepted whatever without much bargaining.

My argument with Crosby and Malkin was more so that kids at that age don't get 6M or even 5M dollar contracts usually and there are only a few elite talents that do.

Old
08-09-2009, 06:21 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I guess, its a pretty long term contract so they have him for awhile..but I think he could have been had for less then 6.6M. Maybe 6? or 5.5M? I think the Avs quickly accepted whatever without much bargaining.

My argument with Crosby and Malkin was more so that kids at that age don't get 6M or even 5M dollar contracts usually and there are only a few elite talents that do.
True, but in today's NHL with the emphasis on young players and their importance (as well as the importance of keeping your own), a number of players got huge contracts without the benefit of unrestricted free agency: Phaneuf, Richards, Bouwmeester (his arbitration award), Kovalchuk, Kopitar, Staal, Spezza, Nash, Perry, Getzlaf, Green, Carter. All of those guys are 25 or under, and making $5m+ next year. You'll be able to add Kane, Toews, and whoever else to that list after this season. Guys like Bergeron, Semin, and Weber are close to $5m. Are they all elite talents? By your logic (i.e. up there with Sid, Ovie, Geno, etc), no. But they're getting paid like it, and Stastny is certainly in their class.

Sorry, but your argument isn't really valid.

Edit: Kovalchuk is 26. Still counts, mostly.

Old
08-09-2009, 06:33 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
True, but in today's NHL with the emphasis on young players and their importance (as well as the importance of keeping your own), a number of players got huge contracts without the benefit of unrestricted free agency: Phaneuf, Richards, Bouwmeester (his arbitration award), Kovalchuk, Kopitar, Staal, Spezza, Nash, Perry, Getzlaf, Green, Carter. All of those guys are 25 or under, and making $5m+ next year. You'll be able to add Kane, Toews, and whoever else to that list after this season. Guys like Bergeron, Semin, and Weber are close to $5m. Are they all elite talents? By your logic (i.e. up there with Sid, Ovie, Geno, etc), no. But they're getting paid like it, and Stastny is certainly in their class.

Sorry, but your argument isn't really valid.
Who on that list of yours is making almost 7M? Bouwmeester and Phaneuf, 24 and 25 year old #1 star defensemen who would be in a top 10 defenseman of the league argument.

Kovalchuk - 6.3M as a 26 year old elite forward.
Richards - 5.7M, Similar numbers as Stastny who is definitely a better all around player (This is the type of numbers Stastny should have received).
Spezza - Signed a 7M deal at 25 years old after putting up 1.27 PPG the previous 3 NHL seasons
Kopitar - Signed a massive 7 year deal, to about the same as Stastny. Wouldn't have given him that much either but they are desperate to hold onto him. Really the only legit argument player you named to help your case.

Bergeron, Semin, and Weber type money is closer to what he is at this point. 23 years old and has played under 200 games, sorry just not worth that contract yet in his career.

Old
08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Who on that list of yours is making almost 7M? Bouwmeester and Phaneuf, 24 and 25 year old #1 star defensemen who would be in a top 10 defenseman of the league argument.

Kovalchuk - 6.3M as a 26 year old elite forward.
Richards - 5.7M, Similar numbers as Stastny who is definitely a better all around player (This is the type of numbers Stastny should have received).
Spezza - Signed a 7M deal at 25 years old after putting up 1.27 PPG the previous 3 NHL seasons
Kopitar - Signed a massive 7 year deal, to about the same as Stastny. Wouldn't have given him that much either but they are desperate to hold onto him. Really the only legit argument player you named to help your case.

Bergeron, Semin, and Weber type money is closer to what he is at this point. 23 years old and has played under 200 games, sorry just not worth that contract yet in his career.
I bolded your last statement, that guys at that age don't often get that type of contract. I responded about how that's changing.

I agreed that they probably should have gotten him for less. But to say that he's not WORTH the money (in the way the Gomez and Drury don't produce in relation to their contracts), is false. That was my point.

Old
08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

My thoughts on why Statsny MIGHT work.

1) Colarado is rebuilding and won't be contending any time soon. Because they won't be relevant for a while, moving Statsny (and his salary) for a number of high-end pieces (say, Dubinsky, two of our Dmen prospects and a first), might make sense.
2) They just acquired Duchene, so they will have a franchise #1 Center. And Dubinsky would look awful good as a #2 centerman behind him in a couple of years...
3) Regarding salary: Rozsival and his very useful ($15MM in cap dollars, but $12MM in real money) can go the other way to make the salaries work, especially if they send one of their $3MM Dmen back to even it out.

Having said that, it's rare that you see a guy like Statsny move in his prime. But he IS coming off of an injury and I think they are truly reloading over the next couple of years a la Chicago. And I never would have thought that Slats could've pulled off the Gomez trade, so...

Anyway, like I said, it's just a feeling I've been having.

Old
08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

If nothing happens tomorrow than Dubi might really be on his way out of town.

Old
08-09-2009, 08:52 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
If nothing happens tomorrow than Dubi might really be on his way out of town.
Er... why tomorrow?

Old
08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Er... why tomorrow?
Why not tomorrow? is there any other reason why it would go past tomorrow? This is becoming ridiculous.

Old
08-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Why not tomorrow? is there any other reason why it would go past tomorrow? This is becoming ridiculous.
We won't get rid of him for nothing. And what would be the reason for letting Z go. You haveta think it would be to sign dubi. Especially that we have the cap room to sign him

Old
08-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
So you have no real basis and are just talking out of your behind.

Old
08-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Bobby Granger

I don't think dubi would want to leave the rangers and would take a paycut to prove himself. Just my opinion

Old
08-09-2009, 10:02 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
So you have no real basis and are just talking out of your behind.
It's called theorizing. Why hasn't he signed yet?

Old
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Granger View Post
I don't think dubi would want to leave the rangers and would take a paycut to prove himself. Just my opinion
Then why didn't he sign the qualifying offer (which included a 10% raise)?

Old
08-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Bobby Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Then why didn't he sign the qualifying offer (which included a 10% raise)?
Because he will be our 1st line center. And feel he should get a price tag closer to cally's recent contract

Old
08-09-2009, 10:33 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Dubi will be signed before the start of the season. Book it.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:36 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Give him 1.75 for a year tell him to prve to us he is worth more and lock him in with an extention enough is enough with this waiting game my boss is getting pissed with the constant refresh of the web page on my phone

Old
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
Dubi will be signed before the start of the season. Book it.
yeah but by which team?

Old
08-09-2009, 10:54 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
ok, this is ****.. dubinsky needs to learn his place and stop being a *****... good no. 3 center so far. 2.5M max, or trade him. maybe he needs to stop feeling like he's so special...

but how much you wanna bet he re-signed a week ago?

Old
08-09-2009, 10:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
ok, this is ****.. dubinsky needs to learn his place and stop being a *****... good njo. 3 center so far. 2.5M max, or trade him. maybe he needs to stop feeling like he's so special...
Maybe we should wait to hear the whole, factual story before assuming the player is being selfish and self-centered?

Old
08-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Bobby Granger

Quote:
ok, this is ****.. dubinsky needs to learn his place and stop being a *****... good njo. 3 center so far. 2.5M max, or trade him. maybe he needs to stop feeling like he's so special...
Right now, with the rangers lack of people up the middle.. Dubi is very "special" for us

Old
08-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Because he will be our 1st line center. And feel he should get a price tag closer to cally's recent contract
First you say Dubinsky loves the Rangers so much he would be willing to sign for less in order to prove himself. Now you say, he wants to be paid like a first line center. Which is it?

Old
08-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
ok, this is ****.. dubinsky needs to learn his place and stop being a *****... good no. 3 center so far. 2.5M max, or trade him. maybe he needs to stop feeling like he's so special...

but how much you wanna bet he re-signed a week ago?
More likely Sather is unwilling to pay him much above his qualifying offer. I doubt Dubinsky has turned down anything near what you suggest.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Bobby Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
First you say Dubinsky loves the Rangers so much he would be willing to sign for less in order to prove himself. Now you say, he wants to be paid like a first line center. Which is it?
What I was trying to put across is that dubi wants to play in new york more then anywhere else. But is getting low-balled by sather in his new deal( which is why he hasn't accepted). He knows he has a huge chance to be the number one centre on this team and knows that we don't have much depth up the middle. So I think he is tryin to get a decent contract 1.5-2 mill. Which is reasonable for him if its a 2 year deal or so. But sather loves throwing money at new players for a trial and error period then keeping a promising kid that has shown he can thrive in new york and all he needs is more of a shot and playing in a torts style will help his playing a lot.

I disagree with the poster saying he's being selfish. I think this is sather's doing

Last edited by Bobby Granger: 08-09-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old
08-10-2009, 12:26 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
What I was trying to put across is that dubi wants to play in new york more then anywhere else. But is getting low-balled by sather in his new deal( which is why he hasn't accepted). He knows he has a huge chance to be the number one centre on this team and knows that we don't have much depth up the middle. So I think he is tryin to get a decent contract 1.5-2 mill. Which is reasonable for him if its a 2 year deal or so. But sather loves throwing money at new players for a trial and error period then keeping a promising kid that has shown he can thrive in new york and all he needs is more of a shot and playing in a torts style will help his playing a lot.

I disagree with the poster saying he's being selfish. I think this is sather's doing
You know this happened last offseason with Vermette in Ottawa. He was later traded at the trade deadline and ended up getting about 4 million/season I believe. The thing is, they have until camp starts to posture at eachother so it may take even longer than any of us like.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:27 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
yeah but by which team?
HAHAHAHA, that's the greatest avatar.

20 Cent LMFAO.

EPIC10FTW.

Closed Thread