HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Dubinsky contract update 9/4 See Post #1071

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Give him 1.75 for a year tell him to prve to us he is worth more and lock him in with an extention enough is enough with this waiting game my boss is getting pissed with the constant refresh of the web page on my phone
That would be a bad idea. The last thing we need is to have Dubinsky be an RFA again next year. If he puts up 60 points playing with Gaborik, how much will we have to pay him then?

A 3 year deal at 2 mil per will save us cap space in the long run.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:19 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
That would be a bad idea. The last thing we need is to have Dubinsky be an RFA again next year. If he puts up 60 points playing with Gaborik, how much will we have to pay him then?

A 3 year deal at 2 mil per will save us cap space in the long run.
Yea your rite I didn't think of that...so more or less the feeling is that there has to be a possible trade being negotiated otherwise he would be locked in

Old
08-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Yea your rite I didn't think of that...so more or less the feeling is that there has to be a possible trade being negotiated otherwise he would be locked in
Not in the slightest. Why is it whenever contract negotiations take a long time, some feel that a trade must be imminent. These things happen, especially with RFAs. He'll be signed before training camp, and he'll be a New York Ranger next season and beyond.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Granger View Post
I disagree with the poster saying he's being selfish. I think this is sather's doing
I don't know, after a good start he had a horrible horrible season last year and he still wants the big dough.

If anyone should be called greedy Dubinsky deserves to be in that cathegory.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't know, after a good start he had a horrible horrible season last year and he still wants the big dough.

How can you call Dubinsky greedy when we have no idea what's going on with the contract negotiations. We have no idea what he's asking for, and we have no idea what Sather is offering. Is he still being greedy if Sather is lowballing him and demanding that he take a $700k deal?

Regardless of how long he went without scoring a goal, he still had a 40 point season last year and that's worth a decent chunk of change these days.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:47 AM
AXN

Quote:

He still had the same number of points as Callahan. His goals was not the same. Playing third line center with Voros and Sjostrom will not get you a lot of goals. He was then moved to left wing, a position he never played before, but did very well under Tortorella at center. He was the second leading scorer in the playoffs. This is the guy who can play the first line this year. He should get a similiar contract that Callahan got.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
eco's bones

Most of the speculation is that he'll get between $1.5 and 2 mil--whether for one or two years--and that is what it is--speculation because nobody seems to really know for sure--and considering a 40 point season with Jagr on his wing followed by a 41 point season without Jagr and considering again that he may be asked to be a No. 1 center (for Gaborik) or if not the No. 2 center between $1.5 and 2 mil is very reasonable in this day and age--at least if you're expecting that with increased quality time he should be able to put up 50 + points. As well he has an all around game and a gritty game and Tortorella seems to like him a lot--again I expect more is going to be asked of him.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:55 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Not in the slightest. Why is it whenever contract negotiations take a long time, some feel that a trade must be imminent. These things happen, especially with RFAs. He'll be signed before training camp, and he'll be a New York Ranger next season and beyond.
Iwasnt saying that I thought he wasn't getting a deal I was asking because I personally don't know and from the way a lot of posters are making it seem I was kinda looking for an answer...hopefully you are rite and he is here to stay for a while I love watching him play and feel he is the future of the team along with cally

Old
08-10-2009, 12:16 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:

Don't you think you should have at least the slightest idea of what Dubinsky is asking for?

Old
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
How can you call Dubinsky greedy when we have no idea what's going on with the contract negotiations. We have no idea what he's asking for, and we have no idea what Sather is offering. Is he still being greedy if Sather is lowballing him and demanding that he take a $700k deal?

Regardless of how long he went without scoring a goal, he still had a 40 point season last year and that's worth a decent chunk of change these days.
Things that make one go Hmmm. The lynch mob was out for Z and his 58 pts. I would stress Dubi's intangibles instead. lol. Just busting your chops. I couldn't resist.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
NYR Viper

This is taking an abnormal amount of time. Would be nice to get the team set and get a #7 d-man as well so that the players know what is going on and who is going to be on the team.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

If he gets a two year deal or more I could see him getting around 2.5-3m per year just because it will probably be worth it by the end of the deal, and if he takes a 1 yr deal it will probably closer to 1.75-2m and let that year prove if he's worth more

Old
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils13 View Post
If he gets a two year deal or more I could see him getting around 2.5-3m per year just because it will probably be worth it by the end of the deal, and if he takes a 1 yr deal it will probably closer to 1.75-2m and let that year prove if he's worth more
Unless he's getting a 6 or 7 year deal, he's not sniffing 3M.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I think you'll see Dubi signed in the coming weeks at about 1.7-2 million per season.

If the Rangers know whats good for them, it'll be a multi-year deal because if things remain as they are and Dubi is centering Gaborik for the majority of the season, hes going to put up 50 points by accident. He'd also be arbitration eligible, which would inflate his value that much more. Lock him up for 3/6 right now, Glen.

Old
08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

who knows if it's even about money. Maybe it's years.

Sather may want a 3 year agreement. Would make Dubinsky a RFA when his contract is up.

Dubinsky may want a 4 year agreement. Would make Dubinsky a UFA when his contract is up.

Maybe Dubinsky wants 2 years, so that he would have the ability to have one more contract worth more money before UFA.

Could very well be that, or maybe it could be money, who knows?

There are so many variables that no one has any clue about. So until we know it's over money, let's not accuse any party and just relax a bit.

Old
08-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think you'll see Dubi signed in the coming weeks at about 1.7-2 million per season.

If the Rangers know whats good for them, it'll be a multi-year deal because if things remain as they are and Dubi is centering Gaborik for the majority of the season, hes going to put up 50 points by accident. He'd also be arbitration eligible, which would inflate his value that much more. Lock him up for 3/6 right now, Glen.
Sather probably can not make up his mind about the amount of years Dubinsky should be signed for, the amount of money is not problem - as the press has reported accurately - Therefore it can only be the amount of years - should it be one, three or five? There are a million pros and cons for every option.

Old
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
eco's bones

The speculation seems to basically come from two directions--beat writers like Brooks putting him in at 1.3 to 1.8 range if I remember right and people conjecturing from what Callahan got--average $2.3 for two years. Callahan had arbitration rights and was one year older. OTOH Callahan has one 40 point season--Dubinsky two though Ryan's numbers went up dramatically last season especially after the coaching change--Dubinsky's stayed the same though without Jagr this time around. Lot of ways to argue around it. I actually think Dubinsky has more upside than Callahan and will be a better player in the long run but for this contract he has less leverage and that's why I see him getting less than Callahan.

To be honest there almost always seems to be somebody who doesn't settle until much later than everyone else. I don't really see a reason to get too excited over this.

Old
08-10-2009, 03:42 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
Sather probably can not make up his mind about the amount of years Dubinsky should be signed for, the amount of money is not problem - as the press has reported accurately - Therefore it can only be the amount of years - should it be one, three or five? There are a million pros and cons for every option.
I would guess that Sather knows exactly what he wants. Look at the recent Ranger history of players in the same position -- Girardi gets 2 years at $1.5MM, Tyutin gets 2 years at $1.6MM, Prucha gets 2 years at $1.6MM. Dubinsky can have 1 year at around $1-1.2MM or two years at $1.6-1.7MM. The first year is his "tough luck you are not an RFA" contract. The second year is acknowledgement that he would be able to go to arbitration and get a Callahan type number. Don't sell Sather so short. He's been doing this longer than many posters have been alive.

Old
08-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Garfinkel1

If it was up to me... and assuming Dubinsky would be Alright with this...

(5 Year/2.5m Per.) - 12.5Mill Contract

4mill
3mill
3mill
1.5mill
1mill

Fair deal - IMO of course....
front loaded (Players love that and we have the money for that)
Locked up at a good price. - He may be worth a little less than 2.5 now but by next year he will (again IMO) be playing way above his pay grade and all the way through his contract.

Old
08-10-2009, 06:52 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The speculation seems to basically come from two directions--beat writers like Brooks putting him in at 1.3 to 1.8 range if I remember right and people conjecturing from what Callahan got--average $2.3 for two years. Callahan had arbitration rights and was one year older. OTOH Callahan has one 40 point season--Dubinsky two though Ryan's numbers went up dramatically last season especially after the coaching change--Dubinsky's stayed the same though without Jagr this time around. Lot of ways to argue around it. I actually think Dubinsky has more upside than Callahan and will be a better player in the long run but for this contract he has less leverage and that's why I see him getting less than Callahan.

To be honest there almost always seems to be somebody who doesn't settle until much later than everyone else. I don't really see a reason to get too excited over this.
we disagree here eco. i feel the opposite.

i think ryan will score 30 within the next few years and become something like a smaller version of erik cole. hes not gonna be a power forward but hell play an edgy game and finish all his checks while scoring his fair share with his sneaky, underrated shot. ryans the better skater and has an overall better hockey sense imo.

i feel dubi will move from center to the wing and be a solid 20 goal type but will never enjoy the overall success like callahan. dubi's got game no doubt but his skating and shot are a step below ryan right now.

in addition, i see ryan as future captain material. not saying brandon couldnt be, just that he needs to mature more to even be considered.

Old
08-10-2009, 07:15 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

i think ryan will score 30 within the next few years and become something like a smaller version of erik cole. hes not gonna be a power forward but hell play an edgy game and finish all his checks while scoring his fair share with his sneaky, underrated shot. ryans the better skater and has an overall better hockey sense imo.

i feel dubi will move from center to the wing and be a solid 20 goal type but will never enjoy the overall success like callahan. dubi's got game no doubt but his skating and shot are a step below ryan right now.

in addition, i see ryan as future captain material. not saying brandon couldnt be, just that he needs to mature more to even be considered.
I don't know why people think Dubinsky will be shifted to wing. He's a much more suited to being a puck distributor than a goal scorer. Centers with size, speed, and skill are valuable, and Dubi has all of those things. Cally can, IMO, hit 30 goals, but will never hit 30 assists, I would guess. I could see Dubi, on the other hand, putting up 25 goals, 40+ assists.

Dubinsky may not be as fast as Cally, but he's stronger, and is better able to handle himself in corners and in front of the net.

As far as hockey sense, I see Dubi as having substantially better vision, while Cally has a better (but not by much) nose for the net. In the end, I'd give the edge to Dubi here, too.

Plus, we have to keep in mind Dubi is a year younger.

Old
08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't know why people think Dubinsky will be shifted to wing. He's a much more suited to being a puck distributor than a goal scorer. Centers with size, speed, and skill are valuable, and Dubi has all of those things. Cally can, IMO, hit 30 goals, but will never hit 30 assists, I would guess. I could see Dubi, on the other hand, putting up 25 goals, 40+ assists.

Dubinsky may not be as fast as Cally, but he's stronger, and is better able to handle himself in corners and in front of the net.

As far as hockey sense, I see Dubi as having substantially better vision, while Cally has a better (but not by much) nose for the net. In the end, I'd give the edge to Dubi here, too.

Plus, we have to keep in mind Dubi is a year younger.
Spot on.

Im willing to bet Dubinsky is the better player going forward. It'll start this year.

Old
08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

One thing I'd say is that I don't know if Ryan has all that much further he can go with the talent he has. He's a classic case of an overachiever. Most of his points come from around the net--he has only average creativity--meaning for one thing he'll never put up a lot of assists. He should be a good producer for some time but his real strengths are his aggressiveness, his skating and his defensive awareness.

Dubinsky is much more of an untapped player. He is bigger and stronger than Callahan but just as aggressive. He can carry the puck from one end to the other and then cycle and protect the puck just about as good as anyone on the team. He might not get as many goals as Ryan now but sooner or later I see him catching up. He is also much more creative with the puck. Depending on who his linemates will be one can project him as a 55 + point player--could hit that this year barring injury--to a point a game player in the future--if he clicks with someone like Gaborik.

Old
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

This is simply dragging on far too long. We have other needs that should be addressed, but this needs to be finalized in order to do so. Get off your butt and make it happen, Glen.

Old
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I would guess that Sather knows exactly what he wants. Look at the recent Ranger history of players in the same position -- Girardi gets 2 years at $1.5MM, Tyutin gets 2 years at $1.6MM, Prucha gets 2 years at $1.6MM. Dubinsky can have 1 year at around $1-1.2MM or two years at $1.6-1.7MM. The first year is his "tough luck you are not an RFA" contract. The second year is acknowledgement that he would be able to go to arbitration and get a Callahan type number. Don't sell Sather so short. He's been doing this longer than many posters have been alive.
I apologize for my arrogance, what I mean to clarify is that Sather has got all the numbers and options figured out in his head and on the paper along time ago (probably decided not to take Zherdev and keep everybody else in the middle of the last season and did the principal financial and performance based math. back then)

...and he is only saying to Dubi and his people "Look,this is little bit out of the ordinary, however the N. Y. Rangers really value Your contribution and commitment and etc... For that reason, I am going to be a bit more open to input about how you want to organize your career in this club, since the plan, for my perspective, in the Big Picture, is to keep you here for the next decade or so. Decide it anyway you want it, or how your people suggest - and if its reasonable it will be accepted, you got a month to think about it - get back to me then."

However, isnīt a 40 point player worth 2-3 mil. in this league? I mean, Dubinsky is pretty streaky but awesome still in his own zone and carrying the puck skills are great, and he is a fan favorite of sorts. I would give 2 million a year for four years along with some bonuses, but that really is not important.

Closed Thread