HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Dubinsky contract update 9/4 See Post #1071

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
  #301
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Give him 1.75 for a year tell him to prve to us he is worth more and lock him in with an extention enough is enough with this waiting game my boss is getting pissed with the constant refresh of the web page on my phone
That would be a bad idea. The last thing we need is to have Dubinsky be an RFA again next year. If he puts up 60 points playing with Gaborik, how much will we have to pay him then?

A 3 year deal at 2 mil per will save us cap space in the long run.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 09:19 AM
  #302
SkerZ
LGR
 
SkerZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
That would be a bad idea. The last thing we need is to have Dubinsky be an RFA again next year. If he puts up 60 points playing with Gaborik, how much will we have to pay him then?

A 3 year deal at 2 mil per will save us cap space in the long run.
Yea your rite I didn't think of that...so more or less the feeling is that there has to be a possible trade being negotiated otherwise he would be locked in

SkerZ is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 09:30 AM
  #303
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Yea your rite I didn't think of that...so more or less the feeling is that there has to be a possible trade being negotiated otherwise he would be locked in
Not in the slightest. Why is it whenever contract negotiations take a long time, some feel that a trade must be imminent. These things happen, especially with RFAs. He'll be signed before training camp, and he'll be a New York Ranger next season and beyond.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
  #304
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Granger View Post
I disagree with the poster saying he's being selfish. I think this is sather's doing
I don't know, after a good start he had a horrible horrible season last year and he still wants the big dough.

If anyone should be called greedy Dubinsky deserves to be in that cathegory.

Ola is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 09:38 AM
  #305
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't know, after a good start he had a horrible horrible season last year and he still wants the big dough.

If anyone should be called greedy Dubinsky deserves to be in that cathegory.
How can you call Dubinsky greedy when we have no idea what's going on with the contract negotiations. We have no idea what he's asking for, and we have no idea what Sather is offering. Is he still being greedy if Sather is lowballing him and demanding that he take a $700k deal?

Regardless of how long he went without scoring a goal, he still had a 40 point season last year and that's worth a decent chunk of change these days.

Levitate is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 09:47 AM
  #306
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't know, after a good start he had a horrible horrible season last year and he still wants the big dough.

If anyone should be called greedy Dubinsky deserves to be in that cathegory.
He still had the same number of points as Callahan. His goals was not the same. Playing third line center with Voros and Sjostrom will not get you a lot of goals. He was then moved to left wing, a position he never played before, but did very well under Tortorella at center. He was the second leading scorer in the playoffs. This is the guy who can play the first line this year. He should get a similiar contract that Callahan got.

AXN is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
  #307
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,675
vCash: 500
Most of the speculation is that he'll get between $1.5 and 2 mil--whether for one or two years--and that is what it is--speculation because nobody seems to really know for sure--and considering a 40 point season with Jagr on his wing followed by a 41 point season without Jagr and considering again that he may be asked to be a No. 1 center (for Gaborik) or if not the No. 2 center between $1.5 and 2 mil is very reasonable in this day and age--at least if you're expecting that with increased quality time he should be able to put up 50 + points. As well he has an all around game and a gritty game and Tortorella seems to like him a lot--again I expect more is going to be asked of him.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 09:55 AM
  #308
SkerZ
LGR
 
SkerZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Not in the slightest. Why is it whenever contract negotiations take a long time, some feel that a trade must be imminent. These things happen, especially with RFAs. He'll be signed before training camp, and he'll be a New York Ranger next season and beyond.
Iwasnt saying that I thought he wasn't getting a deal I was asking because I personally don't know and from the way a lot of posters are making it seem I was kinda looking for an answer...hopefully you are rite and he is here to stay for a while I love watching him play and feel he is the future of the team along with cally

SkerZ is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 12:16 PM
  #309
HockeyBurd*
 
HockeyBurd*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't know, after a good start he had a horrible horrible season last year and he still wants the big dough.

If anyone should be called greedy Dubinsky deserves to be in that cathegory.
Don't you think you should have at least the slightest idea of what Dubinsky is asking for?

HockeyBurd* is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
  #310
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
How can you call Dubinsky greedy when we have no idea what's going on with the contract negotiations. We have no idea what he's asking for, and we have no idea what Sather is offering. Is he still being greedy if Sather is lowballing him and demanding that he take a $700k deal?

Regardless of how long he went without scoring a goal, he still had a 40 point season last year and that's worth a decent chunk of change these days.
Things that make one go Hmmm. The lynch mob was out for Z and his 58 pts. I would stress Dubi's intangibles instead. lol. Just busting your chops. I couldn't resist.

HoosierDaddy is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
  #311
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
This is taking an abnormal amount of time. Would be nice to get the team set and get a #7 d-man as well so that the players know what is going on and who is going to be on the team.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
  #312
Omar Little
Omar comin yo
 
Omar Little's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,869
vCash: 500
If he gets a two year deal or more I could see him getting around 2.5-3m per year just because it will probably be worth it by the end of the deal, and if he takes a 1 yr deal it will probably closer to 1.75-2m and let that year prove if he's worth more

Omar Little is online now  
Old
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
  #313
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,711
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils13 View Post
If he gets a two year deal or more I could see him getting around 2.5-3m per year just because it will probably be worth it by the end of the deal, and if he takes a 1 yr deal it will probably closer to 1.75-2m and let that year prove if he's worth more
Unless he's getting a 6 or 7 year deal, he's not sniffing 3M.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 01:52 PM
  #314
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
I think you'll see Dubi signed in the coming weeks at about 1.7-2 million per season.

If the Rangers know whats good for them, it'll be a multi-year deal because if things remain as they are and Dubi is centering Gaborik for the majority of the season, hes going to put up 50 points by accident. He'd also be arbitration eligible, which would inflate his value that much more. Lock him up for 3/6 right now, Glen.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
  #315
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,567
vCash: 500
who knows if it's even about money. Maybe it's years.

Sather may want a 3 year agreement. Would make Dubinsky a RFA when his contract is up.

Dubinsky may want a 4 year agreement. Would make Dubinsky a UFA when his contract is up.

Maybe Dubinsky wants 2 years, so that he would have the ability to have one more contract worth more money before UFA.

Could very well be that, or maybe it could be money, who knows?

There are so many variables that no one has any clue about. So until we know it's over money, let's not accuse any party and just relax a bit.

WhipNash27 is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 03:01 PM
  #316
Reader
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think you'll see Dubi signed in the coming weeks at about 1.7-2 million per season.

If the Rangers know whats good for them, it'll be a multi-year deal because if things remain as they are and Dubi is centering Gaborik for the majority of the season, hes going to put up 50 points by accident. He'd also be arbitration eligible, which would inflate his value that much more. Lock him up for 3/6 right now, Glen.
Sather probably can not make up his mind about the amount of years Dubinsky should be signed for, the amount of money is not problem - as the press has reported accurately - Therefore it can only be the amount of years - should it be one, three or five? There are a million pros and cons for every option.

Reader is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
  #317
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,675
vCash: 500
The speculation seems to basically come from two directions--beat writers like Brooks putting him in at 1.3 to 1.8 range if I remember right and people conjecturing from what Callahan got--average $2.3 for two years. Callahan had arbitration rights and was one year older. OTOH Callahan has one 40 point season--Dubinsky two though Ryan's numbers went up dramatically last season especially after the coaching change--Dubinsky's stayed the same though without Jagr this time around. Lot of ways to argue around it. I actually think Dubinsky has more upside than Callahan and will be a better player in the long run but for this contract he has less leverage and that's why I see him getting less than Callahan.

To be honest there almost always seems to be somebody who doesn't settle until much later than everyone else. I don't really see a reason to get too excited over this.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 03:42 PM
  #318
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
Sather probably can not make up his mind about the amount of years Dubinsky should be signed for, the amount of money is not problem - as the press has reported accurately - Therefore it can only be the amount of years - should it be one, three or five? There are a million pros and cons for every option.
I would guess that Sather knows exactly what he wants. Look at the recent Ranger history of players in the same position -- Girardi gets 2 years at $1.5MM, Tyutin gets 2 years at $1.6MM, Prucha gets 2 years at $1.6MM. Dubinsky can have 1 year at around $1-1.2MM or two years at $1.6-1.7MM. The first year is his "tough luck you are not an RFA" contract. The second year is acknowledgement that he would be able to go to arbitration and get a Callahan type number. Don't sell Sather so short. He's been doing this longer than many posters have been alive.

bobbop is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 04:19 PM
  #319
Garfinkel1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
If it was up to me... and assuming Dubinsky would be Alright with this...

(5 Year/2.5m Per.) - 12.5Mill Contract

4mill
3mill
3mill
1.5mill
1mill

Fair deal - IMO of course....
front loaded (Players love that and we have the money for that)
Locked up at a good price. - He may be worth a little less than 2.5 now but by next year he will (again IMO) be playing way above his pay grade and all the way through his contract.

Garfinkel1 is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 06:52 PM
  #320
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The speculation seems to basically come from two directions--beat writers like Brooks putting him in at 1.3 to 1.8 range if I remember right and people conjecturing from what Callahan got--average $2.3 for two years. Callahan had arbitration rights and was one year older. OTOH Callahan has one 40 point season--Dubinsky two though Ryan's numbers went up dramatically last season especially after the coaching change--Dubinsky's stayed the same though without Jagr this time around. Lot of ways to argue around it. I actually think Dubinsky has more upside than Callahan and will be a better player in the long run but for this contract he has less leverage and that's why I see him getting less than Callahan.

To be honest there almost always seems to be somebody who doesn't settle until much later than everyone else. I don't really see a reason to get too excited over this.
we disagree here eco. i feel the opposite.

i think ryan will score 30 within the next few years and become something like a smaller version of erik cole. hes not gonna be a power forward but hell play an edgy game and finish all his checks while scoring his fair share with his sneaky, underrated shot. ryans the better skater and has an overall better hockey sense imo.

i feel dubi will move from center to the wing and be a solid 20 goal type but will never enjoy the overall success like callahan. dubi's got game no doubt but his skating and shot are a step below ryan right now.

in addition, i see ryan as future captain material. not saying brandon couldnt be, just that he needs to mature more to even be considered.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 07:15 PM
  #321
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
we disagree here eco. i feel the opposite.

i think ryan will score 30 within the next few years and become something like a smaller version of erik cole. hes not gonna be a power forward but hell play an edgy game and finish all his checks while scoring his fair share with his sneaky, underrated shot. ryans the better skater and has an overall better hockey sense imo.

i feel dubi will move from center to the wing and be a solid 20 goal type but will never enjoy the overall success like callahan. dubi's got game no doubt but his skating and shot are a step below ryan right now.

in addition, i see ryan as future captain material. not saying brandon couldnt be, just that he needs to mature more to even be considered.
I don't know why people think Dubinsky will be shifted to wing. He's a much more suited to being a puck distributor than a goal scorer. Centers with size, speed, and skill are valuable, and Dubi has all of those things. Cally can, IMO, hit 30 goals, but will never hit 30 assists, I would guess. I could see Dubi, on the other hand, putting up 25 goals, 40+ assists.

Dubinsky may not be as fast as Cally, but he's stronger, and is better able to handle himself in corners and in front of the net.

As far as hockey sense, I see Dubi as having substantially better vision, while Cally has a better (but not by much) nose for the net. In the end, I'd give the edge to Dubi here, too.

Plus, we have to keep in mind Dubi is a year younger.

we want cup is offline  
Old
08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
  #322
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't know why people think Dubinsky will be shifted to wing. He's a much more suited to being a puck distributor than a goal scorer. Centers with size, speed, and skill are valuable, and Dubi has all of those things. Cally can, IMO, hit 30 goals, but will never hit 30 assists, I would guess. I could see Dubi, on the other hand, putting up 25 goals, 40+ assists.

Dubinsky may not be as fast as Cally, but he's stronger, and is better able to handle himself in corners and in front of the net.

As far as hockey sense, I see Dubi as having substantially better vision, while Cally has a better (but not by much) nose for the net. In the end, I'd give the edge to Dubi here, too.

Plus, we have to keep in mind Dubi is a year younger.
Spot on.

Im willing to bet Dubinsky is the better player going forward. It'll start this year.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
  #323
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
we disagree here eco. i feel the opposite.

i think ryan will score 30 within the next few years and become something like a smaller version of erik cole. hes not gonna be a power forward but hell play an edgy game and finish all his checks while scoring his fair share with his sneaky, underrated shot. ryans the better skater and has an overall better hockey sense imo.

i feel dubi will move from center to the wing and be a solid 20 goal type but will never enjoy the overall success like callahan. dubi's got game no doubt but his skating and shot are a step below ryan right now.

in addition, i see ryan as future captain material. not saying brandon couldnt be, just that he needs to mature more to even be considered.
One thing I'd say is that I don't know if Ryan has all that much further he can go with the talent he has. He's a classic case of an overachiever. Most of his points come from around the net--he has only average creativity--meaning for one thing he'll never put up a lot of assists. He should be a good producer for some time but his real strengths are his aggressiveness, his skating and his defensive awareness.

Dubinsky is much more of an untapped player. He is bigger and stronger than Callahan but just as aggressive. He can carry the puck from one end to the other and then cycle and protect the puck just about as good as anyone on the team. He might not get as many goals as Ryan now but sooner or later I see him catching up. He is also much more creative with the puck. Depending on who his linemates will be one can project him as a 55 + point player--could hit that this year barring injury--to a point a game player in the future--if he clicks with someone like Gaborik.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
  #324
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.
 
WhiskeyDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Va
Country: United States
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
This is simply dragging on far too long. We have other needs that should be addressed, but this needs to be finalized in order to do so. Get off your butt and make it happen, Glen.

WhiskeyDeke is offline  
Old
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
  #325
Reader
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I would guess that Sather knows exactly what he wants. Look at the recent Ranger history of players in the same position -- Girardi gets 2 years at $1.5MM, Tyutin gets 2 years at $1.6MM, Prucha gets 2 years at $1.6MM. Dubinsky can have 1 year at around $1-1.2MM or two years at $1.6-1.7MM. The first year is his "tough luck you are not an RFA" contract. The second year is acknowledgement that he would be able to go to arbitration and get a Callahan type number. Don't sell Sather so short. He's been doing this longer than many posters have been alive.
I apologize for my arrogance, what I mean to clarify is that Sather has got all the numbers and options figured out in his head and on the paper along time ago (probably decided not to take Zherdev and keep everybody else in the middle of the last season and did the principal financial and performance based math. back then)

...and he is only saying to Dubi and his people "Look,this is little bit out of the ordinary, however the N. Y. Rangers really value Your contribution and commitment and etc... For that reason, I am going to be a bit more open to input about how you want to organize your career in this club, since the plan, for my perspective, in the Big Picture, is to keep you here for the next decade or so. Decide it anyway you want it, or how your people suggest - and if its reasonable it will be accepted, you got a month to think about it - get back to me then."

However, isnīt a 40 point player worth 2-3 mil. in this league? I mean, Dubinsky is pretty streaky but awesome still in his own zone and carrying the puck skills are great, and he is a fan favorite of sorts. I would give 2 million a year for four years along with some bonuses, but that really is not important.

Reader is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.