HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

finally some good news on blackburn

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 10:59 AM
NYR469

vCash: 500
finally some good news on blackburn

from newsday:

Dan Blackburn had shoulder surgery Wednesday and surgeons found a piece of scar tissue impinging the nerve in his left shoulder and removed it. Blackburn should recover fully.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:03 AM
John Flyers Fan

Good news for the kid.

Let him spend the whole year in Hartford.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Good news for the kid.

Ditto.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:13 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Good news for the kid.

His mental toughness will come into play. I think this injury will actually make him stronger. I remember at the draft, that his strongest attribute was his mental toughness. I hope this helps his injury heal quicker.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Fletch

I wonder...

if this is something that could've been cleared-up in the September/October timeframe and the kid would've been playing by now. Shame he lost the season.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Fitzlax99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
if this is something that could've been cleared-up in the September/October timeframe and the kid would've been playing by now. Shame he lost the season.
You think that there is a possibility that the Rangers doctors misdiagnosed his injury?

Old
04-01-2004, 11:26 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I wonder if this is something that could've been cleared-up in the September/October timeframe and the kid would've been playing by now. Shame he lost the season.

It seems like whenever Dr.'s of any team in any sport prescribe rest, all it does is delay the surgery.

95 times out of 100 I think you're better off having the surgery right away.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:05 PM
in the hall

Quote:
yes it could've, it doesn't take long for scar tissue to build up... this is great news, it could've been much more severe.... i dont think the rangers doctors misdiagnosed it, nerve damage is something people dont have much of an answer for

Old
04-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
It's easy to say that now, but there was no indication back then that Blackburn's shoulder wasn't healing. Nerve injuries take a long time to heal properly. They were not going to slice open Blackie's shoulder after a couple of months just for the hell of it.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
from newsday:

Dan Blackburn had shoulder surgery Wednesday and surgeons found a piece of scar tissue impinging the nerve in his left shoulder and removed it. Blackburn should recover fully.
My turn: to use silly smilies.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:21 PM
BigE

It was interesting to hear J.D.'s take on what happened with the surgery. I'm glad they didn't have to layer open the shoulder and as he said find the troubled nerve the size of a hair.

I hope Danny trains hard but trains safe. It always sucks when you bust your ass for 5 or 6 months of the off-season only to go down with an injury because you either pushed yourself too hard or didn't stretch enough.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Blackjack

Glad to hear it. Blackburn should be a hell of a golie.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:38 PM
NYR2

Quote:
That's what I was wondering when I heard about this last night. Kind of pisses me off, but what can you do about it now? Hopefully his shoulder will heal quickly now.

I personally don't think this is going to affect him as much as some people are saying. Like someone said, he's a very mentally tough guy, I think he'll come back from this just fine. I'm just very relieved they found something, it wasn't too serious, and they fixed it.

Old
04-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Jacob

Quote:
It seems like whenever Dr.'s of any team in any sport prescribe rest, all it does is delay the surgery.

95 times out of 100 I think you're better off having the surgery right away.
Not necessarily. Surgeries can lead to things like arthritis and other reoccurring problems. It's best to avoid it if at all possible, but that's just what I've gathered.

It could have been the deal that, if he had surgery back in November, he would have been done for the year anyway. They opted to just hope that he would heal quickly rather than cancel out his whole season right off the bat, it seems.

I think he'll be okay. Losing a year of development is no fun, but it might just force him to work that much harder on and off the ice to get back to the NHL. A year in the A should do the trick.

Old
04-01-2004, 05:00 PM
ddheyman

Just for general information purposes, surgery is and should ALWAYS be a last resort in almost all scenarios. Sometimes, when there are no other options and it jumps to the front of the line, but otherwise, the best course of action is time to let the body heal itself. If after a period of time, the body hasn't or isn't capable, then surgery is an alternative (once again, not always the only one).

And although I know nothing other than what I read in the paper ... Dan had a shoulder injury which included some nerve damage. They properly decided to give it time to heal ... it didn't. Based on the lack of progress they decided to perform exploratory surgery (not even knowing what they were looking for) which in this instance yielded successful results. It could have also been that they found nothing wrong and now he needs to heal from surgery and are now further from him being healthy than before surgery. Thankfully in this case the surgery was successful (apparently) and hopefully he will fully recover and resume his promising career.

I know it appears as if when someone says wait and see, they always end up having the surgery and then it they end up missing more time then if they'd had the surgery in the first place, but it is usually the most prudent course of action.

Old
04-02-2004, 11:14 PM
BigE

Nathan Horton opted not to have surgery and ended up picking up the last month and a half of his season. There are plenty more examples of when electing not to go under the knife has paid off.

Further more there are even worse cases of guys being even further screwed up because of a surgery, just look at Pavel.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Rangers94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
Nathan Horton opted not to have surgery and ended up picking up the last month and a half of his season. There are plenty more examples of when electing not to go under the knife has paid off.

Further more there are even worse cases of guys being even further screwed up because of a surgery, just look at Pavel.
pavel isn't screwed up because of surgery though; it's the fact that he's had so many knee injuries, that his ligaments are just not healthy anymore. the surgeons have done everything possible aside from changing his luck.

Closed Thread