HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers prospect #13: TIEBREAKER

View Poll Results: Who's more valuable, Bourque or Boyle?
Ryan Bourque 52 52.53%
Brian Boyle 47 47.47%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
  #1
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Rangers prospect #13: TIEBREAKER

We after easy wins the first 10 rounds, have a second tiebreaker in the last 3 rounds. This is another ideological fight between people who like high-end potential (Bourque) and those who like nearly-ready prospects (Boyle).

Look for a lot of close fights in the next 10 rounds. In many ways, I think the second tier is much more interesting than top prospects because there's more to discuss here. I'm sure the first 10 will contribute much more in the NHL, but the second 10 are a more interesting bunch.

David Kveton will be added to the next round.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
  #2
asparkoflife
Registered User
 
asparkoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Patterson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
I'm going Ryan Bourque here

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
  #3
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,695
vCash: 910
Awards:
Man, I went Bourque in the first poll, going Boyle now... There more I think about it, the more I like Boyle. He has top-6 upside, but is still a safe bet to play in the bottom 6 even if the scoring doesn't come around. Bourque, meanwhile, won't even sniff the NHL if he doesn't pan out. Switching to Boyle!

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:10 PM
  #4
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,525
vCash: 500
This shouldn't even be close. Boyle is a former 1st rounder who's played 30+ games in the NHL. If Ryan Bourque's name was Nigel Dawes, this wouldn't be close.


Last edited by vipernsx: 07-31-2009 at 03:16 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM
  #5
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Boyle for me.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:15 PM
  #6
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,695
vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
This shouldn't even be close. Boyle is a former 1st rounder who's plaid 30+ games in the NHL. If Ryan Bourque's name was Nigel Dawes, this wouldn't be close.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more silly I feel for having put off on Boyle for so long.

Admittedly, it's tough for me with all the new prospects we've acquired through the draft and trades in the past few weeks.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:34 PM
  #7
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Man, I went Bourque in the first poll, going Boyle now... There more I think about it, the more I like Boyle. He has top-6 upside, but is still a safe bet to play in the bottom 6 even if the scoring doesn't come around. Bourque, meanwhile, won't even sniff the NHL if he doesn't pan out. Switching to Boyle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more silly I feel for having put off on Boyle for so long.

Admittedly, it's tough for me with all the new prospects we've acquired through the draft and trades in the past few weeks.
Exactly. This is what I've been saying all along and why I wanted him added as far back as like the fourth poll. His progress slowed down a bit, but his upside remains top 6. It's his FLOOR that is 4th line - and he's already reached it. Glad that I actually get to vote for him now after flubbing it in the first go round.

Bourque meanwhile has to have a growth spurt, otherwise he'll never make the league. So this boils down to

1) The guy who has already achieved the bottom 6... and still has upside of top 6

vs

2) The guy who's achieved nothing... and has upside of top 6, IF grows 3 inches and 30 pounds in addition to avoiding all the other developmental pitfalls that prospects have to avoid.


Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-31-2009 at 03:46 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:19 PM
  #8
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue
 
N9Y4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Gold Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Boyle

Bourque has alot to prove and many years ahead to do so.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
  #9
eLsKy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
boyle

eLsKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:23 PM
  #10
Jxmarts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
I'm voting for Bourque.

Four years of college & 2 years as a pro after getting drafted, Brian Boyle was still struggling to adjust in the minors last season. He'll turn 25 during this season, so it pretty much is make-or-break time for him. If he doesn't grab a NHL job right now (he's penciled in as the 4th line center for now), I don't see him ever being more than a marginal player.

Ryan Bourque is one of those players with numbers worthy of a 1st round pick but whose size holds him back. He's playing in the QMJHL next year, which should give us an better gauge of how good he might be. The question is whether he'll top out as good as his brother Chris, who is an excellent AHL player unable to make the jump to the pros, or as good as Ray Whitney or Brian Gionta, who've had long NHL careers.

Right now, I think Bourque's upside is higher. Two years ago Boyle might've been a prospect as a top 6 forward, but I think the Rangers would be thankful if he does make it as a solid 4th line center.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:29 PM
  #11
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,927
vCash: 500
I dislike Brian Boyle, and I like Ray Bourque. Thats not the greatest reason to vote though, so i'll abstain.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
  #12
Jxmarts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Exactly. This is what I've been saying all along and why I wanted him added as far back as like the fourth poll. His progress slowed down a bit, but his upside remains top 6. It's his FLOOR that is 4th line - and he's already reached it. Glad that I actually get to vote for him now after flubbing it in the first go round.

Bourque meanwhile has to have a growth spurt, otherwise he'll never make the league. So this boils down to

1) The guy who has already achieved the bottom 6... and still has upside of top 6

vs

2) The guy who's achieved nothing... and has upside of top 6, IF grows 3 inches and 30 pounds in addition to avoiding all the other developmental pitfalls that prospects have to avoid.

There are plenty of 5-9 players who've stuck in the NHL... Brian Gionta, Ray Whitney, Daniel Briere, Saku Koivu, Martin St. Louis... who haven't had to "grow 3 inches and 30 pounds" to play in the NHL. Yes, at 18 years old he's "achieved nothing," but you could say that about any player drafted this year.

As for Boyle having already "achieved the bottom 6," he was given a chance to play there by the Kings and he flopped. They send him back to the minors for 2 months from Jan 17 to Mar 27 in 2009. I wouldn't exactly give him credit for having achieved the bottom 6 when the result was his winding up back in the minors at age 24, and then being dealt away.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 06:02 PM
  #13
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
There are plenty of 5-9 players who've stuck in the NHL... Brian Gionta, Ray Whitney, Daniel Briere, Saku Koivu, Martin St. Louis... who haven't had to "grow 3 inches and 30 pounds" to play in the NHL. Yes, at 18 years old he's "achieved nothing," but you could say that about any player drafted this year.
Saw pictures of him at the draft with his dad & older brother (neither known to be giants) and he looked closer to 5'6" than 5'9". Not saying that makes it impossible for him to make it, but it makes it harder. (And don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for him! I am a Rangers fan after all.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
As for Boyle having already "achieved the bottom 6," he was given a chance to play there by the Kings and he flopped. They send him back to the minors for 2 months from Jan 17 to Mar 27 in 2009. I wouldn't exactly give him credit for having achieved the bottom 6 when the result was his winding up back in the minors at age 24, and then being dealt away.
After having his development mangled by LA 2-3 years ago, Kings fans thought that going into last year he had taken the next step and was ready for the big time. He dropped the ball, true. Is he a sure thing for the top 6? By no means - if he was, we wouldn't have gotten him for a 3rd. Is he a sure thing for the bottom 6? No, but it's pretty close to certain. Does he still have upside? I would say yes.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:23 PM
  #14
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,664
vCash: 500
In some respects Boyle resembles Antropov. The most obvious is size. Neither are particularly good skaters. Both have good hands and good shots. Both can't help being physical though in Antropov's case it's more a defensive physicality where people trying to hit him are bouncing off of him. Boyle's a bit more pro-active in that sense. To me Boyle is a guy worth experimenting with on the pwp--jamming the net. For most d-men he'll be impossible to move. If he starts to pop in a few he'll maybe get the confidence to stick.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 01:36 AM
  #15
Thefalkon
Registered User
 
Thefalkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Bourque, we have enough Boyle's in our system.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 02:23 AM
  #16
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 31,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
This shouldn't even be close. Boyle is a former 1st rounder who's played 30+ games in the NHL. If Ryan Bourque's name was Nigel Dawes, this wouldn't be close.

1st round pick back in 2003. All other players picked in that 03 draft (with exception to Robert Nilsson) are either well established or out of NHL. Boyle is 25 and could be a late bloomer. If he was a D-man I could understand it as they take longer to develop but I just dont buy Boyle as a late bloomer.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.