HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chuck Kobasew anyone?

Old
07-25-2009, 10:29 AM
karparules

vCash: 500
Chuck Kobasew anyone?

With the ridiculous signing of Derek Morris by the Bruins, it's becoming clear that one of two players is likely available in Boston: Phil Kessel or Chuck Kobasew.
I don't think our long-term salary structure will support the acquisition of Kessel, but I would love to see us take a crack at acquiring Chuck Kobasew. He's still fairly young, has good hands and work ethic and was Eric Staal's linemate during the lockout season in Lowell. If I remember correctly, Staal had about 50+ assists that year, many of them to Kobasew.
I feel like we need more of a sniper to play on Staal's line and this could be exactly what we need. Not only can Kobasew score, but I think he was the Captain of the Loch Monsters that year.
Considering Boston's cap struggles, they'll have to trade someone with a significant salary if they intend to re-sign Kessel and lots of rumors are out there claiming that Kobasew could be the odd man out. This means that we could likely acquire him for draft picks and/or prospects. Even though it would put us over our self-imposed budget for the year, it would really upgrade our offense.
It's also worth noting that they Hurricanes were intending to draft Kobasew with their first round pick in 2001 before Calgary snatched him. We ended up drafting Knyazev...yikes! At that time, the organization was really high on Kobasew and there was an N&O article during the 2009 series against Boston that made it clear that he is a guy whose career JR has been tracking and that he has tried to acquire him before.
What do you think?

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
We've been talking about this for a few months now. It's nothing new.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
karparules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
We've been talking about this for a few months now. It's nothing new.
Thanks for the input.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
Thanks for the input.
All I'm saying is this has been discussed in other threads. Perhaps you haven't seen them. I'm a fan of the guy and would love to see him reunited with Staal but I'm not sure this is the year JR tries to get a winger for Staal. Because of the situation in Boston, he may try to take advantage of the opportunity, though.

Last edited by Cardiac_Canes: 07-25-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 12:44 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I can see Kobasew becoming a Hurricane down the line, since JR always gets his guy, but I don't think he can fit salary wise right now. Boston isn't going to take a guy like Wallin back in trade so Carolina will only be adding to their budget, which they are almost over already. Plus, it relegates one of Brind'amour or Jokinen to the 4th line, which I don't think is a good idea either.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
I really wanted the 'Canes to acquire Kobasew back when it looked like Cole and LaRose weren't returning, but I don't see a point now in using an asset to acquire a winger who isn't a major upgrade on any of our Top 6 wingers (I'm counting Samsonov as a Top 6er and not LaRose).

The only way I'd trade for Kobasew at this point is if Peter Chiarelli had some strange fondness for Niclas Wallin and Tim Conboy and just had to acquire them in exchange for Kobasew. Which, of course, is not going to happen.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 07:59 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I can see Kobasew becoming a Hurricane down the line, since JR always gets his guy, but I don't think he can fit salary wise right now. Boston isn't going to take a guy like Wallin back in trade so Carolina will only be adding to their budget, which they are almost over already. Plus, it relegates one of Brind'amour or Jokinen to the 4th line, which I don't think is a good idea either.
Yep. If the winger situation isn't settled by then, I expect Kobasew to be one of our main UFA targets in the summer of 2011 when he is scheduled to be a UFA.

But maybe we'll get Alexander Frolov next offseason and all of this discussion will be moot.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 08:10 PM
bleedgreen

i think that this may be the best time to get him, and if jr puts it off till next year it likely wont happen. hes mentioned how this time of year becomes interesting as people become available you wouldnt expect. if you think the guy is a fit then you make the move and work the rest out. lets get this guy while his best years are still in front of him, and played for us.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 09:57 AM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i think that this may be the best time to get him, and if jr puts it off till next year it likely wont happen. hes mentioned how this time of year becomes interesting as people become available you wouldnt expect. if you think the guy is a fit then you make the move and work the rest out. lets get this guy while his best years are still in front of him, and played for us.

tick tick tick, the clock on the B's signing Kessel is running low. They'll be ready to cough up Kobasew or if they really have some balls, dangle Savaard or Bergeron to interesting parties. JR will be sitting and waiting for Cherelli (sp?) to unload Kobasew at the last minute a la Cullen from the Rags.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
tick tick tick, the clock on the B's signing Kessel is running low. They'll be ready to cough up Kobasew or if they really have some balls, dangle Savaard or Bergeron to interesting parties. JR will be sitting and waiting for Cherelli (sp?) to unload Kobasew at the last minute a la Cullen from the Rags.
That is what intriques me, being Rutherfords line of thinking surrounding this. Nothing has seemed to indicate Kobasew is available, but it just seems so damn likely. Based on the fact we have a good chunk of salary coming off the books next summer, does JR make the move and bite the bullet for 1 season? Does Karmanos give him the free hand? I would think so. Does he make the move and simply (if possible?) move a forward to make room both on the roster and cap? Lastly, would it be looked as a 'opportunity that while quite entertaining and attractive, the timing is just not right'. It took us a couple months to shuffle around and finally make a move that would accomodate Jokinen. Obviously Kobasew is a more promising and marketable forward in my opinion, therefore it may change the process a bit in terms of 'ok, the opportunity is here for a real good player, let's just do this'.

It is definitely interesting. Boston has a situation on their hands that will have to be resolved in some sort of fashion, no question. It is out in the open that JR likes Chuck Kobasew and in my opinion when you have the opportunity to acquire a young player such as Kobasew, you should likely take advantage. Maybe it happens a bit down the road in August/September. Maybe it's being discussed right now, but JR is in the process of 1. Moving Babchuk 2. Finding a team who is interested in a forward in order to accomodate space for Kobasew.

A lot of questions & speculation surrounds the topic, no doubt about that.

This could be one of those scenarios that happens down the line and we hear how it took a lot of time to work out and accomodate.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-30-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
That is what intriques me, being Rutherfords line of thinking surrounding this. Nothing has seemed to indicate Kobasew is available, but it just seems so damn likely. Based on the fact we have a good chunk of salary coming off the books next summer, does JR make the move and bite the bullet for 1 season? Does Karmanos give him the free hand? I would think so. Does he make the move and simply (if possible?) move a forward to make room both on the roster and cap? Lastly, would it be looked as a 'opportunity that while quite entertaining and attractive, the timing is just not right'. It took us a couple months to shuffle around and finally make a move that would accomodate Jokinen. Obviously Kobasew is a more promising and marketable forward in my opinion, therefore it may change the process a bit in terms of 'ok, the opportunity is here for a real good player, let's just do this'.

It is definitely interesting. Boston has a situation on their hands that will have to be resolved in some sort of fashion, no question. It is out in the open that JR likes Chuck Kobasew and in my opinion when you have the opportunity to acquire a young player such as Kobasew, you should likely take advantage. Maybe it happens a bit down the road in August/September. Maybe it's being discussed right now, but JR is in the process of 1. Moving Babchuk 2. Finding a team who is interested in a forward in order to accomodate space for Kobasew.

A lot of questions & speculation surrounds the topic, no doubt about that.

This could be one of those scenarios that happens down the line and we hear how it took a lot of time to work out and accomodate.
Hope your right and something is being put together to get Babs out of town with some kind of return. Kobasew would be a great fit if it happens.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote