HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A gem from ex-Expos VP David Samson

Old
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Domenic

vCash: 500
A gem from ex-Expos VP David Samson

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ba...y/1165024.html

``I don't think people want to deal with us anymore,'' Samson said on the show. ``We have a low payroll, we win games, and I think people are afraid of getting burned maybe.''

You'd think after spending this much time in baseball that he'd acquire some knowledge of the game.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
There are few people I hate more than David Samson.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
There are few people I hate more than David Samson.
Claude Brochu? Jeff Luria? These two guys killed baseball in Montreal. Samson was only the punk son-in-law that was trotted in front of the media and fans.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Sounds like a biblical figured.

King David and Samson combined to form... David Samson!

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Anal and Yzer combined to form... Analyzer.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
DaHabMan

david samson aka the boy blunder

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:39 PM
MoonlightGraham

God I hate both of them so much... Grand galop et petit trop as the media called them when things started to go sour with the Expos. Those two and Bud Selig stole the fun from summer and moved it to Washington. Summer in Montreal feels so long and empty since they left.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ba...y/1165024.html

``I don't think people want to deal with us anymore,'' Samson said on the show. ``We have a low payroll, we win games, and I think people are afraid of getting burned maybe.''

You'd think after spending this much time in baseball that he'd acquire some knowledge of the game.
Ah yes. The adopted Mini-Me to Papa Loria.

Wonder if he and pops have dealt any "art" lately

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Claude Brochu? Jeff Luria? These two guys killed baseball in Montreal. Samson was only the punk son-in-law that was trotted in front of the media and fans.
Well, I said there are a few guys I hate more than Samson.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 11:21 PM
dd

I started following the Expos as a wee little kid back in '69. Listened to Russ Taylor and Dave Van Horne (currently employed by the Marlins) call the games on the radio. It was devastating to see how the team was mismanaged and eventually abandoned by the team owners and MLB. The Loria led Marlins traded for the last Expos still on the Washington Nationals, Friday. How ironic is that!!

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:03 AM
panorama01*

The Brochu era fit very well the cut-cut-cut "don't spend money to make money, just shrink everything" approach that was being advertised by our governments in the late Mulroney - early Jean Chretien eras... the approach of the Brochu era was to be as cheap as possible... if attendance is down a bit, cut some more, must make sure a profit is turned... don't think of spending a bit and taking a loss in order to increase attendance and encouraging a higher standard... they had millions of second chances during this time spend a little more to win something and cause a big attendance boost, but they wouldn't do it...

The killer happened after 1997 when the Pittsburgh Pirates miraculously won nearly 80 games on a $8 million payroll. Brochu and friends thought they could replicate this in Montreal; FP Santangelo became a staring player then. That was the time when Brochu forwarded his harebrained scheme to have the fans finance a stadium by buying bricks! Just awful. There was such relief when he was overthrown... and that's why people were so happy to see Loria and Samson for the first time...

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 05:33 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panorama01 View Post
The Brochu era fit very well the cut-cut-cut "don't spend money to make money, just shrink everything" approach that was being advertised by our governments in the late Mulroney - early Jean Chretien eras... the approach of the Brochu era was to be as cheap as possible... if attendance is down a bit, cut some more, must make sure a profit is turned... don't think of spending a bit and taking a loss in order to increase attendance and encouraging a higher standard... they had millions of second chances during this time spend a little more to win something and cause a big attendance boost, but they wouldn't do it...

The killer happened after 1997 when the Pittsburgh Pirates miraculously won nearly 80 games on a $8 million payroll. Brochu and friends thought they could replicate this in Montreal; FP Santangelo became a staring player then. That was the time when Brochu forwarded his harebrained scheme to have the fans finance a stadium by buying bricks! Just awful. There was such relief when he was overthrown... and that's why people were so happy to see Loria and Samson for the first time...
I'm not going to defend Brochu, but the exchange rate had a huge effect on the operation of the club. Expenses are US but revenue was almost all canadian $

The club had good attendance when there was a good team on the field. And the Spos were not nearly as bad at the gate as several American cities. However when the threat of contraction hit, the Spos had no defense in the American court system. American franchises under siege like Minnesota could take MLB and owner Griffith to court

Being owned by a group instead of one owner also wreaked havoc.

As for the brick idea. This is a common move in the states. It is a source of revenue, that is it. Heck the habs have bricks on the Windsor side of the Bell Centre don't they?

I was never happy when I heard that we were being bought by an "art dealer". That essentially means that Loria was an entrepreneur with no real business assets so to speak. I knew then and there that we were going to be rolled for profit and profit Loria most certainly did. Pretty much got the Marlins free

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

That means...he's a blind rock-thrower?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

In my opinion it's Brochu that killed it while Lauria helped to do that.

Not only Brochu destroyed fan interest by trading all the players but after he was out of the picture, Brochu went on to work for Bud Seiling. And he made sure the contingent of owners that were still there working for the Expos' survival got screwed and didn't get any money.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:59 PM
panorama01*

There was a long drawn out process of decline... things were helped a bit by collusion in the mid-1980s which allowed them to keep Raines who would have been lost... if not for Andre Dawson's knees he would have stayed in Montreal. After that, it was downhill under Bronfman and Brochu. One thing that kept things going was the farm system starting around 1988. That gave them a bunch of second chances. They could have kept a reasonably inexpensive, good team because of it, but preferred to be completely cheap and have a not good enough team instead... let's also remember that Brochu helped bring the Braves into the East Division.

That brick thing coupled with the ultimatum did not promote confidence in what was happening, that's for sure.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote