HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stan speaks with Tortorella

Old
08-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
That is nice and fine, and im sure we could all agree that having Gaborik on the ice on the pk would add a threat that we have not had since before the lockout. Im not going to argue that, but my point is that I would prefer an additional 3-4 minutes of even-strength Gaborik to pk Gaborik, I think our chances of scoring at even strength are much better than when killing penalties.

Yes, Betts and Sjo are gone. That leaves

Callahan
Dubinsky
Drury
Higgins

as two solid pairings. Maybe on our third unit he would fit in over guys like Anisimov, Lisin, but I certainly wouldn't play him higher than those four.

As for injuries on the pk, to me it is irrelevant how he was injured before, we have seen countless examples of point shots fracturing ankles, ex. Keith Tkachuk. That is why I didnt want Jagr on the pk, that is why I would be against Zherdev on the pk, and it is why I am against Gaborik on the pk. Our top scorers do not need to be killing penalties unless really needed IMO.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 10:08 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
all poorly reasoned points. here's why.

1. injuries and pk have nothing to do with each other. remember, he got hurt playing hacky sack. if you are saying the more he plays, the more likely he gets hurt, well then never play him at all and hell be healthy all year. maybe- see above.

2. 2 of last years "pk forwards" are gone. betts and sjo are on other teams now. we will have a completetly new pk this year and not having gaby on the ice on the pk will be an advantage to the opposition who must respect his speed- unless hes sitting on the bench resting and making sure he doesnt get hurt killing penalties ...... i would hardly call the pk a waste when a guy like gaborik can create offensive chances while killing penalties- something this team has lacked for years.

3. his "particular skill" is his speed and offensive ability. when hes on the ice, hes a threat to score in any situation. and having played for lemaire, hes got a good idea what to do out there and im sure hell cherry pick on occassion but he knows where to be and how to play the top on the pk. when hes out there, you know the dmen are aware, and the second they flub one at the blueline, gaborik can turn that into a goal.

he needs to play and play alot- he says hes healthy and our doctors say hes healthy-if he says he can go, throw him out there. it makes no sense to "protect" gaborik. instead, we should play our best player alot. hes a game breaker, a difference maker and having him play on the pk, especially late on the pk's when the opposing dmen may be fatigued, gives him a chance for some breakaways or 2 on 1's.

his speed is a weapon and his finishing ability along with his speed--- hello mr gomez.... is the reason why he must be on ice in all situations.
Betts isin't on another team and by the way things are looking i'm going to guess he's sitting out this year from probably some extended nagging health issue that started after the broken orbital bone.That or he'll play for his home-league

If he was perfectly healthy there's NO DOUBT AT ALL a team would have snagged him by now or at the very least he would have resigned with the rangers.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 10:12 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy Lee View Post
I love this...

TORTS' FAVORITE THING ABOUT NEW YORK: "The other day I told my wife that I still can't believe that I'm preparing to run a camp for a team in New York City. I love the people, the building, the pressure of it all. It's the NEW YORK RANGERS; AN ORIGINAL SIX TEAM IN THE WORLD'S BIGGEST VENUE. For me, coaching this team is a privilege!"

That is what this team has missed...
More talk? You know what I read? " blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah" This guys supposedely is a straight shooter, but when he had his TV gig did not ever criticize another coach. But, th proof's in the pudding. Let's see what he does with a team that, might score more than last years team, but is going to suffer keeping the puck out of their net as presently constructed.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 10:13 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Betts isin't on another team and by the way things are looking i'm going to guess he's sitting out this year from probably some extended nagging health issue that started after the broken orbital bone.That or he'll play for his home-league

If he was perfectly healthy there's NO DOUBT AT ALL a team would have snagged him by now or at the very least he would have resigned with the rangers.
true.although he hasnt signed with a new team, betts will not be back. corrected.

betts isnt signed yet because he may well still be hurt or perhaps he there isnt the demand for his skills.

either way, he wont be a ranger this season.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:37 AM
deke and score

Quote:

Oilers fans said Betts was on their local news expressing interest in playing there. However, Edmonton doesn't seem overly interested. I feel pretty bad for Betts right now.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=664530

I still wouldn't be shocked to see him wind up there eventually.

deke and score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Geddy Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
More talk? You know what I read? " blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah" This guys supposedely is a straight shooter, but when he had his TV gig did not ever criticize another coach. But, th proof's in the pudding. Let's see what he does with a team that, might score more than last years team, but is going to suffer keeping the puck out of their net as presently constructed.
Why should he critcize another coach. I think by not doing that he was showing respect to his peers. That gig wasn't a life time job. It was a fill in until he coached his next team.

All the Ranger coaches since Keenan have been soft. Where has that taken this team ? Just think maybe change is good.

Maybe it will work... Maybe its not going to work. At least hockey is going to be exciting at The Garden this season.

Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 01:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
In re: Gaborik adding a threat on the PK... He has 6 SH goals in his career, and is usually good for 1 per season. That's no better than any standard penalty killer, really. I'm not saying it's a reason to NOT play him, but the idea that he makes the PK dangerous isn't really supported by fact. Also, 2 SH assists in his career. For comparison, there were 46 players last year with at least 2 SHG.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 02:45 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Blair Betts can be had for a song. It's too bad the Rangers have decided not to re-visit bringing him back. He didn't get the $1 million per contract in free agency. Edmonton has to move bodies(money) to sign Betts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 05:13 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy Lee View Post
Why should he critcize another coach. I think by not doing that he was showing respect to his peers. That gig wasn't a life time job. It was a fill in until he coached his next team.

All the Ranger coaches since Keenan have been soft. Where has that taken this team ? Just think maybe change is good.

Maybe it will work... Maybe its not going to work. At least hockey is going to be exciting at The Garden this season.
I hear you, but the point is he picks his spots. If he were really a guy that speaks his mind he'd, well, speak his mind. On players, coahces, teams, the league. I see him as a bully that browbeats his players and who will wear out his welcome sooner, rather than later.

Right now his team has no centers, several rookies will man the backline and a few 3rd years guys. Gabby or Lundqvist get hurt we're vying for a lottery pick. We have been very lucky as far as injuries. With his style we will lose a lot more man games. Bank on it.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Blair Betts can be had for a song. It's too bad the Rangers have decided not to re-visit bringing him back. He didn't get the $1 million per contract in free agency. Edmonton has to move bodies(money) to sign Betts.
Well I think the question is where would we put him? Its clear that Anisimov is being considered the third line center, Brian Boyle was signed to a 1 way deal to replace him, we eve gave up a freaking 3rd round pick to get him. To me thats a solid indication that the Rangers are not pursuing him.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 06:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
In re: Gaborik adding a threat on the PK... He has 6 SH goals in his career, and is usually good for 1 per season. That's no better than any standard penalty killer, really. I'm not saying it's a reason to NOT play him, but the idea that he makes the PK dangerous isn't really supported by fact. Also, 2 SH assists in his career. For comparison, there were 46 players last year with at least 2 SHG.
He only averages about 1 minute of PK time a game though. The standard PK killers averages anywhere from 3-4 times that.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 07:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
He only averages about 1 minute of PK time a game though. The standard PK killers averages anywhere from 3-4 times that.
Ah, the page I was looking at didn't list his PK TOI. Guess that kinda negates the impact of my point. Move along...

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
I hear you, but the point is he picks his spots. If he were really a guy that speaks his mind he'd, well, speak his mind. On players, coahces, teams, the league. I see him as a bully that browbeats his players and who will wear out his welcome sooner, rather than later.

Right now his team has no centers, several rookies will man the backline and a few 3rd years guys. Gabby or Lundqvist get hurt we're vying for a lottery pick. We have been very lucky as far as injuries. With his style we will lose a lot more man games. Bank on it.
He'll only wear out his welcome if Lundqvist gets pissed. I don't see that happening for a while.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Levitate

Quote:
That or he'll play for his home-league
uh, what

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Blazephr

Gotta love Torts! His honesty is refreshing to say the least. I liked Renney and all, but his post game interviews the last couple of years were starting to get on my nerves. Too nice of a guy IMO. Perfect fit for assistant coach though.

I'm hoping Tort's enthusiasm rubs off on those around him.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Part Two of Stan's interview

Quote:
"I really liked Bettsy," said Torts. "He was really good for us on the penalty-kill and on face-offs."

That said, the coach correctly noted that it's important for the new leader not to make sentimental mistakes; not to go along with players just because they wore Rangers blue last season or the year before.

Tortorella: "When a new guy (Torts) comes into an organization, there's a tendency to fall in love with players (such as Betts) who've been there a long time.

I'm not trying to run down Betts, but my job – my aim – is to improve this hockey club. We can do that by using top players on the penalty-kill the way Betts had done it before."
http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2009/08/...torts-part-ii/

Torts wants more offense from the fourth line and he explains how he plans to use Brashear.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:33 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Well we got tougher...our fourth line never could stand up to the big players on the other teams 4th line.

I never wanted to see Orr on the ice...but we have some big tough dudes to grind out from time to time

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote