HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How good was Al Iafrate?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2004, 12:33 PM
  #1
Bruinaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Central CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,378
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
How good was Al Iafrate?

I was looking at his career numbers and he had a few 20 goal seasons and was always over 150 pims a year, i vaguely remember him on the Bruins and i recall he had an awesome playoff series vs the Habs in the early 90's.
Who would he be comparible too nowadays?
Too bad injurys cut his career short, was he he #1 Dmen?

Bruinaholic is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
  #2
MacDaddy TLC*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leafin La Vida Loca
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,478
vCash: 500
He was as great as he was inconsistent.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:36 PM
  #3
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,903
vCash: 500
I always like Iafrate as a player... he was solid at both ends and brought an edge to his game...

hard to compare him to players now I guess... first name that pops to my mind is Souray ... has a booming shot from the point (one of the best point shots in his time) and was a tough defender..

NFITO is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:37 PM
  #4
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaholic
I was looking at his career numbers and he had a few 20 goal seasons and was always over 150 pims a year, i vaguely remember him on the Bruins and i recall he had an awesome playoff series vs the Habs in the early 90's.
Who would he be comparible too nowadays?
Too bad injurys cut his career short, was he he #1 Dmen?


I always remember him as a better skating Rob Blake. A huge guy who could skate, was physical, and had some finesse skills. He was certainly more than a guy who could fire the puck, although his slapshot is what he's best known for.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:37 PM
  #5
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 58,012
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
has a booming shot from the point (one of the best point shots in his time)
one of the best point shots ever, if not the best, not just of his time.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:38 PM
  #6
MacDaddy TLC*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leafin La Vida Loca
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,478
vCash: 500
His off ice behaviour and down right loony habits along with chronic knee problems also lead to his career being shorter.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:38 PM
  #7
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
He was as great as he was inconsistent.


I agree with that. Al had a CANNON of a shot, man could he shot the puck. I met him one time (went to school with his niece) he was such a nice guy. He had no problem talking hockey with a young punk like myself. When he had other things to do.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:40 PM
  #8
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
He was as great as he was inconsistent.

He also had his fair share of serious, and ultimately career ending injuries.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:41 PM
  #9
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
His off ice behaviour and down right loony habits along with chronic knee problems also lead to his career being shorter.


I guess he thought the NHL was just another beer league, because that's how he approached things.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 12:59 PM
  #10
Killer 93
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
hard to compare him to players now I guess... first name that pops to my mind is Souray ... has a booming shot from the point (one of the best point shots in his time) and was a tough defender..
Strongly disagree.

Iafrate was 20x the player Souray will ever be. The only thing they have in common is a hard shot, and even that Al did better.

Killer 93 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:08 PM
  #11
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
Strongly disagree.

Iafrate was 20x the player Souray will ever be. The only thing they have in common is a hard shot, and even that Al did better.
maybe... but Souray was having a Norris like season before he went down to injury and was one of the top defenders in the game...

he had the booming shot, but was also solid defensively and aggressive in his own zone, much like Iafrate used to play...

only time will tell, but Souray is sure showing signs of being a premier dman in this league.

NFITO is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:11 PM
  #12
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
Strongly disagree.

Iafrate was 20x the player Souray will ever be. The only thing they have in common is a hard shot, and even that Al did better.
classic...

20x...

A leaf fan showing his obvious bias towards a Habs player...

Priceless...

For everything else...

Mastercard...

I've seen both Iafrate and Souray play numerous times, and would say the closest thing there is in the NHL to Iafrate's type right now is Sheldon Souray. Rocket for a shot... Precise... Confident... Gets loads of assists from the rebounds of his slapper... Tough as nails with a mean streak... Rock solid defensively... Good wheels... Hulking size... Injury prone...


Last edited by Munchausen: 04-01-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Munchausen is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:14 PM
  #13
Volcanologist
Used Register
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cosmodrome
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,932
vCash: 500
Iafrate was great until his knee got blown out.

And he was a much better and faster skater than Souray, Munchausen.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:14 PM
  #14
Killer 93
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
maybe... but Souray was having a Norris like season before he went down to injury and was one of the top defenders in the game...

he had the booming shot, but was also solid defensively and aggressive in his own zone, much like Iafrate used to play...

only time will tell, but Souray is sure showing signs of being a premier dman in this league
He had a burst for half a season.

The day I see Souray hit, skate , pull an end to ender or just defend in general even half as well as Al, is the day I might not laugh at a Souray/Iafrate comparison.

Seriously, Noone is like Al, he is the Wild Thing after all.

Killer 93 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:16 PM
  #15
Killer 93
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
classic...

20x...

A leaf fan showing his obvious bias towards a Habs player...

Priceless...

For everything else...

Mastercard...
Yes, that is just it. It must be bias.

Larry Robinson is a good comparison to Aki Berg wouldn't you agree? You cannot disagree with this of course, that would just be biased.

Killer 93 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:17 PM
  #16
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Iafrate was great until his knee got blown out.

And he was a much better and faster skater than Souray, Munchausen.
Better? yes no doubt, much more mobile. Faster? not by much, but yes. Souray is extremely fast straight ahead. He just doesn't have the mobility.

Again, Souray's a poor man's Iafrate, and the closest thing in style to him right now.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:18 PM
  #17
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
He had a burst for half a season.

The day I see Souray hit, skate , pull an end to ender or just defend in general even half as well as Al, is the day I might not laugh at a Souray/Iafrate comparison.

Seriously, Noone is like Al, he is the Wild Thing after all.
He certainly wouldn't be going end to end in todays NHL....those were the high scoring days.

some of the descriptions given here make Al sound like Orr.

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:18 PM
  #18
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
Yes, that is just it. It must be bias.

Larry Robinson is a good comparison to Aki Berg wouldn't you agree? You cannot disagree with this of course, that would just be biased.
Well to use your logic, yes, Robinson was 20x the player Berg is.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:21 PM
  #19
Killer 93
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Robinson was 20x the player Berg is.
No kidding. I can accept this without yelling bias though.

Killer 93 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:25 PM
  #20
SpooKy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gardena, California
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
Iafrate had something like a 105MPH shot from the point. hahahhahah. He could fight, defend and move the puck well.

Souray ? Not even close to Iafrate. Sourays having a career year this year. Iafrate had Souray seasons every-year. Before this year, Souray had a season high of 11 points ! That's it !


46 playoff games for Iafrate at age 27

19 for Souray at 27


Iafrate > Souray

-- Spooks

SpooKy is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:25 PM
  #21
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
No kidding.
...but Iafrate certainly wasn't 20x the player Souray is. Listening to you, we'd be led to beleive Iafrate was Blake, Pronger, Orr, Coffey, Lidstrom, Gandhi and Jesus combined.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:29 PM
  #22
Killer 93
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
...but Iafrate certainly wasn't 20x the player Souray is.
Yes he was.

Killer 93 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:31 PM
  #23
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
Strongly disagree.

Iafrate was 20x the player Souray will ever be. The only thing they have in common is a hard shot, and even that Al did better.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Lets not forget he won the fastest skater award in the all star game. I only saw him a bit in SJ, but I've never seen anyone cover a 2 on 1 better than he did. He could pinch, and still get back in time to foil a break-away.

His shot was the consistently heaviest I've ever seen too, including Al mac and he could lay bone crushing hits. Too bad his knees were made for someone half his weight. I truely believe, he'd of been one of the best ever, if not 2nd to orr had his knees not been an issue.

Hold the Pickles is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:34 PM
  #24
Killer 93
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfanatic
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Lets not forget he won the fastest skater award in the all star game. I only saw him a bit in SJ, but I've never seen anyone cover a 2 on 1 better than he did. He could pinch, and still get back in time to foil a break-away.
Yes indeed, but according to 'someone' in this thread, he was "not much" faster than Souray though. What a joke.

The guy was great to watch, and anyone who thinks he is being overrated obviously did not see enough, if any of him.

Killer 93 is offline  
Old
04-01-2004, 01:36 PM
  #25
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooKy
Iafrate had Souray seasons every-year.
So are you saying that if Souray repeated this season's performance from now on he'd be Iafrate's equal?

Munchausen is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.