HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How good was Al Iafrate?

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Hold the Pickles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
...but Iafrate certainly wasn't 20x the player Souray is. Listening to you, we'd be led to beleive Iafrate was Blake, Pronger, Orr, Coffey, Lidstrom, Gandhi and Jesus combined.
Take out Jesus and Gandi and your close. take out Orr too and your right on. People rave about Blake and Pronger. I'd take a healthy Big Al over either of these two in a heart beat.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
Yes indeed, but according to 'someone' in this thread, he was "not much" faster than Souray though. What a joke.

The guy was great to watch, and anyone who thinks he is being overrated obviously did not see enough, if any of him.
Well Souray did win NJ's fastest skater competition. And I did mention only on a straight line. OK you win the pissing contest. Iafrate was 20x better than Jesus, I agree.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfanatic
Take out Jesus and Gandi and your close. take out Orr too and your right on. People rave about Blake and Pronger. I'd take a healthy Big Al over either of these two in a heart beat.
I'd take a healthy Pronger...

Old
04-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Al Iafrate was on TSN a few months ago. He walked onto the ice in sandals, was handed a stick, and continually blasted slapshots between 96 and 98 mph. It was unbelievable.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:49 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
I agree with that. Al had a CANNON of a shot, man could he shot the puck. I met him one time (went to school with his niece) he was such a nice guy. He had no problem talking hockey with a young punk like myself. When he had other things to do.
Even that's a bit of an understatement. He went on TSN, having not played an NHL game in years and still averaged 90+ mph slapping a puck into the studio net...IN SANDALS!!!

Old
04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
bleedgreen

unbiased opinion chiming in. there is no real comparison to souray and iafrate, and yes, ive watched them both. al was dominant for years - souray has one great season so far. al was was a better shooter, skater, at least just as good defensively, and one of the more monstrous hitters in the game. he showed throughout his career that even with injuries he could dominate. he just had that quality that makes certain guys special, a presence. souray doesnt have it (not yet anyway). im not trying to downplay what souray has done this season - he's been awesome, i just think al did it better and for years. ive also watched pronger throughout his entire career, and to be honest i would take iafrate in his prime over pronger at his. i know ill get flamed for that, but thats my honest opinion after watching them both. iafrate made big plays, consistently.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 04-01-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old
04-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Al Iafrate was on TSN a few months ago. He walked onto the ice in sandals, was handed a stick, and continually blasted slapshots between 96 and 98 mph. It was unbelievable.
It cannot be him. The real Iafrate would have melted the ice with his sound speed slapper and scared all the girls around with his wild thing. I call imposter.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:57 PM
SpooKy

Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
Quote:
So are you saying that if Souray repeated this season's performance from now on he'd be Iafrate's equal?

No ... ahahahaha

Old
04-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
unbiased opinion chiming in. there is no real comparison to souray and iafrate, and yes, ive watched them both. al was dominant for years - souray has one great season so far. al was was a better shooter, skater, at least just as good defensively, and one of the more monstrous hitters in the game. he showed throughout his career that even with injuries he could dominate. he just had that quality that makes certain guys special, a presence. souray doesnt have it (not yet anyway). im not trying to downplay what souray has done this season - he's been awesome, i just think al did it better and for years. ive also watched pronger throughout his entire career, and to be honest i would take iafrate in his prime over pronger at his. i know ill get flamed for that, but thats my honest opinion after watching them both. iafrate made big plays, consistently.
Who's disputing the fact Iafrate was better than Souray? Not me. Souray's a poor man Iafrate in style. I cannot find a closest thing to Iafrate in today's NHL than Souray (overall). Doesn't mean he's (or will ever be) his equal. And yes, I'm only basing it on this season's performance, so if he doesn't repeat, all is moot.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:02 PM
SpooKy

Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I wished I could have seen that. His shot was legendary

Old
04-01-2004, 02:05 PM
txpd

Al Iafrate was a mind blowing skill package with a blown mind. He was a nutbag.

He was a left hand shot version of Rob Blake and he was maybe faster. But he didn't have the mental side of the game to be able to be a constant player at that level and a team leader. plus...he was wacky. spaceman bill lee kind of wacky.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:07 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Iafrate was a good player.. no doubt about it...

but this thread is making him seem like Bobby Orr, except only faster, tougher, stronger, and better in every area of the game!!

Iafrate was a top dman during his time.... he was an all-star... but despite his many excellent seasons, was never the best dman during any season he played in... never won the Norris, and I don't know if he was even nominated for one before.

during his time Coffey and Bourque were the two best dmen in the game and as good as Iafrate was they were clearly better - as were a few others.

you also can't compare his point totals to that of Souray... it's a different game now.

In his best season he scored 25 goals for the Caps... had 66 pts (both career highs) in a season where he played 81 games... that was good enough for 2nd best on their defense (7th on the team), behind Kevin Hatcher who put up 34 goals and 79 pts that same season... his best season he was the #2 dman on the Caps behind Hatcher.

he was playing in an era where the top dmen in the league were close to or over 100 pt seasons (like Coffey many times)... he never came close to that... he was getting 50-60 in an era when guys like Bourque were getting over 80... Coffey was over 100... MacInnis, Suter, Housley, Hatcher, Duchesne were all outscoring him at the time.

He was still a top dman during this time... but he was among the top 10-15 of his time...

some of the posts here make him sound like he was among the top 5 of all time.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:08 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Who's disputing the fact Iafrate was better than Souray? Not me. Souray's a poor man Iafrate in style. I cannot find a closest thing to Iafrate in today's NHL than Souray (overall). Doesn't mean he's (or will ever be) his equal. And yes, I'm only basing it on this season's performance, so if he doesn't repeat, all is moot.
agreed. its a fun topic, no doubt. there are very few d-men in the league right now i would take over him. i think his skating can be compared somewhat to bryan berard at his best. his body was like a shorter bertuzzi/ or a beefier stevens. he threw hits like stevens did. comparable shot to mccinnis (harder, but a bit wilder). he was a game breaker with personality- the league could use a guy like him now.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:12 PM
bleedgreen

[QUOTE=nuckfan in TO]
he was playing in an era where the top dmen in the league were close to or over 100 pt seasons (like Coffey many times)... he never came close to that... he was getting 50-60 in an era when guys like Bourque were getting over 80... Coffey was over 100... MacInnis, Suter, Housley, Hatcher, Duchesne were all outscoring him at the time.

i would take iafrate as an all around d over suter, hatcher, housley, and dushesne, they may have outscored him but that doesnt make them better overall. of course he cant be called the best in a generation including bourque, coffey and guys like you mentioned. there were alot of amazing d-men in that era, its not like now. i think he would be pretty dominate in todays game, still.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:21 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
A very poor man's Iafrate. Think(see image):

Old
04-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Better? yes no doubt, much more mobile. Faster? not by much, but yes. Souray is extremely fast straight ahead. He just doesn't have the mobility.

Again, Souray's a poor man's Iafrate, and the closest thing in style to him right now.
Its not a good comparison aside from the shot. Iafrate was better all around and a much superior skater.

In his one playoffs for the B's against the Habs he singlehandedly won it for us. He was amazing. One of the single best series performances I have ever seen.

Perhaps Souray will get better, but he will never be in Iafrate's class.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Its not a good comparison aside from the shot. Iafrate was better all around and a much superior skater.

In his one playoffs for the B's against the Habs he singlehandedly won it for us. He was amazing. One of the single best series performances I have ever seen.

Perhaps Souray will get better, but he will never be in Iafrate's class.
It's as good a comparison as it gets when talking about style of play, shot, toughness, defensive game, but not as great when talking about the actual level of performance, which is what people seem to have a problem with in the Souray comparison. The original question was who would he compare to in today's NHL. I say Souray. Doesn't mean Souray's as good, just that he's the closest thing to the wild thing in his overall game.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:33 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

The only way it's a good comparison is if Gary Leeman starts nailing Souray's wife.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:47 PM
db23

Iafrate had all of the tools but the tool box was full of holes.

It was a different era, for sure. It is funny to look at old film of NHL games.

Watching Guy Lafleur "blast" a shot past some goalie who looks like a fat kid in a neighbourhood street hockey game makes you realize how much things have changed. "Terrible Ted" Lindsey was 5-8, 160 pounds. Dave Schultz was 6-1, 195 pounds. Most of those guys wouldn't get a look in today's game.

Old
04-01-2004, 03:16 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Iafrate had all of the tools but the tool box was full of holes.

It was a different era, for sure. It is funny to look at old film of NHL games.

Watching Guy Lafleur "blast" a shot past some goalie who looks like a fat kid in a neighbourhood street hockey game makes you realize how much things have changed. "Terrible Ted" Lindsey was 5-8, 160 pounds. Dave Schultz was 6-1, 195 pounds. Most of those guys wouldn't get a look in today's game.
That stuff always makes me laugh, having lived through it all for decades now. Because in 20 years, *you'll* be saying that about the hockey now:

"Man, I was watching this Avs/Wings game from '02 on ESPN Classic last night, what a riot! Those guys could barely even play the game. What was real wild was seeing all the players without full shields. Some didn't even have visors! Guys bleeding all the time, it's a miracle they actually had eyes left. And when they fought, they actually got to stay in the game? Just a five minute penalty? Weird. Also, I'd forgotten just how good the uniforms looked without all the advertising on them though, I miss that."

Old
04-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
"Man, I was watching this Avs/Wings game from '02 on ESPN Classic last night, what a riot! Those guys could barely even play the game. What was real wild was seeing all the players without full shields. Some didn't even have visors! Guys bleeding all the time, it's a miracle they actually had eyes left. And when they fought, they actually got to stay in the game? Just a five minute penalty? Weird. Also, I'd forgotten just how good the uniforms looked without all the advertising on them though, I miss that."
:lol :lol

Old
04-01-2004, 03:23 PM
BlackJack21

Quote:
Yes, that is just it. It must be bias.

Larry Robinson is a good comparison to Aki Berg wouldn't you agree? You cannot disagree with this of course, that would just be biased.
Are you comparing Larry to Al Iafrate...

Or even worst... Aki Berg to Sheldon Souray.

No question IMHO is to who you would compare Al in style...

And the answer is that in fact Sheldon is a slower version a Al Iafrate.

A bettr defensively version of JOVO-COP could be good to.

We are talking about 2 good skaters with booming shoots that are not affraid of breakin somebody's back bone to clean the crest. Like Iafrate was...

However Iafrate was a greater skater, one of the fastest of his era.
BTW he was smoking 2 packs of ciagaretts every single day!!!!

BJ21

Old
04-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Yes he was.
That's the best argument I ever read on a forum. You sir, are a genius! :lol

Iafrate was a good player but he was no Frank Pietrangelo when it comes to Italian players. Deep Cold rules!

Old
04-01-2004, 03:32 PM
BlackJack21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfanatic
Are you kidding???

How many Norris shots Al Iafrate has had in his carreer?
Answer ZERO...

He was good... Very good... Verry Verry good!!!

But not a super star as Progner is or a consitent Norris runner-up like Blake is.

Dont tell me about this knee condition it happen 3-4 years before the end of his carrer.

BJ21

Old
04-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordiquesFan
That's the best argument I ever read on a forum. You sir, are a genius!
Should I make ridiculous claims and call them 'fact' or just accuse everyone who disagrees with me of being biased? Would that be a better argument?

Closed Thread