HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Trade: Colin Stuart + Anton Stralman to CGY for Wayne Primeau + CGY 2nd 2011 Part Two

Old
08-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Trade: Colin Stuart + Anton Stralman to CGY for Wayne Primeau + CGY 2nd 2011 Part Two

The previous thread passed 1000 posts. So discussions can be continued in this thread.

Here's the link to the previous thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=667519

08-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Well, let's start off by saying that Kubina and Stralman for Wayne Primeau, Exelby and a 2nd two years from now is a horrible trade.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:51 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

I'm wondering why a minor deal is still being discussed.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:52 AM
ugotmybeef*

first time I've seen a Hab mod start a thread for us.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Hes turning into a leaf fan ?

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:57 AM
thepublichairs

we cant trust this guy

thepublichairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
RhyZa

*boycotts*

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
russmatuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Well, let's start off by saying that Kubina and Stralman for Wayne Primeau, Exelby and a 2nd two years from now is a horrible trade.
...and the ability to sign Komisarek.

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:23 PM
dubey

Great trade! A++++! Would trade again!

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:32 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
If that happens with current Leafs vets on expiring contracts, and with Leafs in a striking playoff position at the trade deadline that then also contradicts the belief that we will see an influx of extra draft picks for these players in question.

Better odds they are kept to keep the playoff drive potential alive or maybe traded in hockey deals to bring in different players.. Although at the trade deadline we don't see a lot of these types of deals that teams give away roster players for other roster players when attempting to strengthen playoff teams. Non playoff teams have no need for Pony, Stempniak or MVR on expiring contracts.

This was my point earlier I was trying to make in rebuttal to more drafts picks being acquired as the expectation. Its only realistically possible with a team out of playoff contention.

IMO Burke is just as likely to keep most of them in a playoff drive, let those he doesn't want to walk away as UFAs, and then replace them from within with youth or sign replacements for FREE via the UFA spending route like this season.
It only delays the process not eliminate it. Those same players we're acquiring in return will eventually become UFA's and future trade bait. Letting any half decent player just walk in the summer is idiotic and poor asset management.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Transplanted Caper

I'm going to be interested to see whether Burke moves some bodies up front before or after camp. There are a lot of bottom 6 players on this team and one would think Burke is going to move a few bodies out.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

The previous interim GM traded a pair of future 2nd round picks to obtain Luke Schenn and Mikhail Grabovski for the Leafs as part of the rebuild process.. Both are now expect to be key contributors to our immediate and future success..

I was wondering based on this deal here if posters had to pick an option .. Which would they rather have seen during our rebuild process? .

Option A: Stralman traded for a 2011 2nd round pick

or

Option B: Burke trading a 2011 2nd round pick to obtain a young prospect < age 23 to bring in instant help like Schenn and Grabovski became?

Which do you prefer trading young players for picks or trading picks for young players during the rebuild process?

With the uncertainty of success that the draft selection made comes with personally I prefer the option of using future picks on young ready made NHLers to accelerate the rebuild process. I would chose to give rather then receive.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:38 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The previous interim GM traded a pair of future 2nd round picks to obtain Luke Schenn and Mikhail Grabovski for the Leafs as part of the rebuild process.. Both are now expect to be key contributors to our immediate and future success..

I was wondering based on this deal here if posters had to pick an option .. Which would they rather have seen during our rebuild process? .

Option A: Stralman traded for a 2011 2nd round pick

or

Option B: Burke trading a 2011 2nd round pick to obtain a young prospect < age 23 to bring in instant help like Schenn and Grabovski became?

Which do you prefer trading young players for picks or trading picks for young players during the rebuild process?

With the uncertainty of success that the draft selection made comes with personally I prefer the option of using future picks on young ready made NHLers to accelerate the rebuild process. I would chose to give rather then receive.
I doubt the Flames would have given the leafs a prospect.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Transplanted Caper

Can't we just decide on a case by case basis whether a deal is good or not?

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:44 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Not a need for the Leafs anyway.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by russmatuss View Post
...and the ability to sign Komisarek.
They already had that, as was demonstrated by the subsequent signing of Beauchemin at 3.8 once Komisarek was in the fold.

Old
08-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Yeah it doesn't happen very often. Kind of like a solar eclipse, or Mike Komisarek scoring a goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian-Rocket View Post
Hes turning into a leaf fan ?
Oh gawd no.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
I was speaking in general terms overall on trading for or receiving a future pick for a young player strategy.

But you make a good point here perhaps if you're correct.. That means the Flames themselves would value their own prospects more then the 2011 2nd round pick if they didn't want to part with prospect(s).. They also value Stralman as well > 2nd round pick or they wouldn't have made the trade.

So Flames essentially gave away the least valued item they had to get Stralman. Yet generally speaking the majority of Leaf fans view it as the best return we could have expected/hoped for Stralman and in turn call it a good trade for us as we ranked 2nd > Stralman.

Since its the GMs that made the trade and Burke believes 2nd in 2011 > Stralman and Sutter believes the exact opposite as he dealt the pick for the player..

Since both can't be true simultaneously then the victor of the trade appears to be viewed from the perspective of; "In the eyes of the beholder" for each GM.

Old
08-01-2009, 01:40 PM
asdf

Quote:
I was speaking in general terms overall on trading for or receiving a future pick for a young player strategy.

But you make a good point here perhaps if you're correct.. That means the Flames themselves would value their own prospects more then the 2011 2nd round pick if they didn't want to part with prospect(s).. They also value Stralman as well > 2nd round pick or they wouldn't have made the trade.

So Flames essentially gave away the least valued item they had to get Stralman. Yet generally speaking the majority of Leaf fans view it as the best return we could have expected/hoped for Stralman and in turn call it a good trade for us as we ranked 2nd > Stralman.

Since its the GMs that made the trade and Burke believes 2nd in 2011 > Stralman and Sutter believes the exact opposite as he dealt the pick for the player..

Since both can't be true simultaneously then the victor of the trade appears to be viewed from the perspective of; "In the eyes of the beholder" for each GM.
The Flames were also able to unload Primeau's salary (which they desperately need) so maybe it's not that they covet Stralman more than the 2nd but rather a condition of the deal.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
The Flames were also able to unload Primeau's salary (which they desperately need) so maybe it's not that they covet Stralman more than the 2nd but rather a condition of the deal.
True, the difference between Stuart $485k and Primeau $1.4 mil nearly saved the Flames $1 mil on the exchange.. That is certainly further benefit to making this trade from a Flames perspective, since they're tight to Cap ceiling..

No benefit to Leafs by eating another $1 mil cap space so then Burke must also believe that 33 year old Wayne Primeau > benefit to Leafs team than 27 year old old Colin Stuart + $1 mil cap space by process of elimination here, if Stralman is assumed = the pick.

Old
08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
burke4life

Quote:

I personally dont agree with that and let me tell you why. The only reason burke wants the 2nd over stralman is b/c he wants to put his own stamp on the team. If burke had drafted stralman himself, then he wouldn't have valued the 2nd rounder greater than stralman.
He knows he wont be the GM of toronto FOREVER, there will be a time where he will step down, or a new GM will come in. But untill that time comes, he wants to draft as many players as he can and really change the way leafs front office has been functioning over the years. AND if possible, win a cup for the good guys!
what you think? agree or disagree?

burke4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post

You can't pick and choose. You have to look at the bigger picture and realize that Komisarek and Beauchemin were brought in instead. And whether the 2nd is today or 10 years from it doesn't change the fact that it's a 2nd.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Lexicon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggemon Destiny View Post

You can't pick and choose. You have to look at the bigger picture and realize that Komisarek and Beauchemin were brought in instead. And whether the 2nd is today or 10 years from it doesn't change the fact that it's a 2nd.

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Yeah it doesn't happen very often. Kind of like a solar eclipse, or Mike Komisarek scoring a goal.

Oh gawd no.
you will join...us...soon...JOIN THE DARK SIDE! lol

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggemon Destiny View Post

What do you mean "pick and choose"??

Kubina, Stralman, Stuart and the 7th went out and Exelby, Primeau, and a second round pick that we won't even get to use for 2 more years came in. Those are the facts.

Beauchemin has nothing at all to do with the trade, he cost nothing but money. He could have been signed whether or not we traded Kubina -- again, we already had the cap space if no topline forward was brought in.