HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weather GDT - January: Unseasonable warmth

Old
12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
we need 4 weeks straight of this to kill those b4stardo pine beetles.
I would have thought last winter, one of the coldest here in several decades, would have done that. Last year December, February, and March were just stupidly cold. Junuary was our reprieve from it, oddly enough. Does it actually have to be below -40 to kill those things? Or would two weeks straight of -30 (we basically had this twice last winter if I remember) have the same effect as a few days of -40?

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
(Looks outside)

Don't see no stinking chinook
Yeah, I dont know if its just me but Chinooks dont seem to occur nearly as much as they did here 5-10 years ago.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
A friend from Chicago had it on her Facebook profile last week that it was the same temperature in Chicago as Tuktoyaktuk (or however you spell it).

In 1990, it got below -30 in 4 of the 12 months (-36.1 was the coldest)
In 1991 it hit -37.1.
In 1992 it hit -38.0.
In 1993 it hit -37.2
In 1994 it hit -43.9.
In 1995 it hit -33.8.

In 1996 it was my last winter in Edmonton. Here is the temps from mid January to early February. I remember it vividly and was actually talking about it this morning. 3 nights below -40 and almost every night was around -30.

Day High Low
Jan 17 -24.3 -38.7
18 -33.8 -42.4
19 -32.2 -43.0
20 -25.2 -36.2
21 -15.6 -27.8
22 -16.2 -31.0
23 -21.2 -31.4
24 -21.2 -34.0
25 -23.5 -36.3
26 -22.5 -27.5
27 -25.7 -33.8
28 -29.1 -36.2
29 -24.4 -36.0
30 -12.4 -30.9
31 -14.5 -28.0
Feb 1 -27.9 -41.8
2 -25.6 -38.9
3 -10.0 -31.7
4 -17.6 -25.4

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....hlydata_e.html
I'm talking about day time highs on average. These past three or four years have seen weekly pockets of days with day time highs consistently nearing or over -40 with minimal windchill values.

-20 to -25 never bothered me when I was a kid, especially if it was a completely dry cold.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm talking about day time highs on average. These past three or four years have seen weekly pockets of days with day time highs consistently nearing or over -40 with minimal windchill values.

-20 to -25 never bothered me when I was a kid, especially if it was a completely dry cold.

I'm not quite sure if you're including windchill with the daytime highs of minus 40, but the info Cawz provided looks like temps without windchill factored in. Most records don't include windchill factored in to my knowledge. Last year was consistently cold, but I honestly don't remember a bunch of pockets of minus 40 during the day. Last night was really cold, but I remember lots of winters during the 60's and 70's where the temps were well into the minus 30's for extended periods of time. Add in the dreaded windchill factor, and who knows what we endured.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:10 AM
bleed_oil

I work out in Ft Sask at a large scale industrial facility... it was truly remarkable how cold it was this afternoon and the guys coming in from North East of Edmonton (Mudare, Andrew, Lamont, Bruderheim) were reporting temperatures colder than -45 this weekend.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I'm not quite sure if you're including windchill with the daytime highs of minus 40, but the info Cawz provided looks like temps without windchill factored in. Most records don't include windchill factored in to my knowledge. Last year was consistently cold, but I honestly don't remember a bunch of pockets of minus 40 during the day. Last night was really cold, but I remember lots of winters during the 60's and 70's where the temps were well into the minus 30's for extended periods of time. Add in the dreaded windchill factor, and who knows what we endured.
I'm talking about nearing -40 with little to no windchill. When I was outside today the wind wasn't much of a factor. For example, I could take my gloves off to reach for my cellphone in my pocket without my hands being bothered but my face was dying after about 10 minutes of exposure. I've been outside in -10 to -15 where it'd be unbearable to even consider removing my gloves to reach for my cell or my wallet due to the wind chill factor.

It was just a pure cold out there today and has been for the better part of this snap.

There was a time in February last year where it was really, really cold but yeah, I'm thinking about two years ago. Remember that week when they were warning people about leaving their homes because it was so bad?

Anyway, by this weekend hopefully this will all be moot until our second blast in February.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Well, if you click on the link I provided, you can check all the historical daily highs and lows in Edmonton back to 1960 or so. There arent any weekly pockets like you mention. If you check the end of Jan 2008 it was pretty bad, but only really bad for 2 days.

Temperatures seem to get a little colder in retrospect (just imagine how we'll describe the last record breaking weekend when its 10 years in our memory). I didnt check the 60s and 70s like Stoneman said, but the data is all there (I'm kind of a weather stats and hockey stats geek). I checked the last 5 years and couldnt find a stretch worse than the one I noted in 1996.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Anyone hear about the state of emergency issued in Florida after recieving their coldest weather in over 25 years. They apparently hit temperatures of -2 and fruit farmers are loosing money hand over fist and the interstates are being littered with car accidents.

My buddy just took off yesterday to go down there, I think it was a rude surprise upon his arrival. People were even being warned to carry a blanket in their vehicles. Man can you imagine if -2 weather here caused a state of emergency?

What's even funnier is that we had warmer weather than them Yesterday in the middle of January.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Anyone hear about the state of emergency issued in Florida after recieving their coldest weather in over 25 years. They apparently hit temperatures of -2 and fruit farmers are loosing money hand over fist and the interstates are being littered with car accidents.

My buddy just took off yesterday to go down there, I think it was a rude surprise upon his arrival. People were even being warned to carry a blanket in their vehicles. Man can you imagine if -2 weather here caused a state of emergency?

What's even funnier is that we had warmer weather than them Yesterday in the middle of January.
LOL, I'm concerned for the Fruit farmers, but the rest of that is hilarious.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
LOL, I'm concerned for the Fruit farmers, but the rest of that is hilarious.
Ya it sucks for the fruit farmers and their livlihood. You can almost guarantee that the price of oranges and orange juice will increase here in the next little while.

Does anyone know where the Oilers were supposed to go for that weekend of golfing? It would have been hilarious if it was florida as this would have been a pretty decent symbolic representation of their season.

Old
01-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Ya it sucks for the fruit farmers and their livlihood. You can almost guarantee that the price of oranges and orange juice will increase here in the next little while.

Does anyone know where the Oilers were supposed to go for that weekend of golfing? It would have been hilarious if it was florida as this would have been a pretty decent symbolic representation of their season.
I don't, but I think it's already simbolic, Hell is truly freezing over, thanks you gang of loosers, lol.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
I had a friend in Tampa telling me about how his house was barely above 0. These guys don't have heaters and definitely don't expect this kind of weather.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
I had a friend in Tampa telling me about how his house was barely above 0. These guys don't have heaters and definitely don't expect this kind of weather.
Ya exactly they don't have central heating. I'm sure some places experienced pipes freezing up.