HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Johnson should make the jump to stardom this season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
  #26
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Yeah, it's not like Jack has bad hockey sense, but to get 50 + you have to have at least very good hockey sense
I don't know how you get there yet. He has played one full season. You may be assuming too much.

...man, I am all over you tonight huh?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:30 PM
  #27
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I don't know how you get there yet. He has played one full season. You may be assuming too much.

...man, I am all over you tonight huh?
I think it's a much bigger assumption to say that a player who has never scored more than 15 points will get more than 30, not even considering 40-50

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:33 PM
  #28
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
I think it's a much bigger assumption to say that a player who has never scored more than 15 points will get more than 30, not even considering 40-50
Good point but we never said "will". We said "should" and it depends on minutes and, as I think about it, the nature of those minutes. Also, for a 3rd overall pick and a superstar in college? Based on history, hardly a stretch.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:34 PM
  #29
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,668
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Yeah, it's not like Jack has bad hockey sense, but to get 50 + you have to have at least very good hockey sense
No one has the puck poise of Skoula but Jack could rise to the opportunity. He'd better have some thing to prove after signing a something to prove contract.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
  #30
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Good point but we never said "will". We said "should" and it depends on minutes and, as I think about it, the nature of those minutes. Also, for a 3rd overall pick and a superstar in college? Based on history, hardly a stretch.
Time will tell with Jack, to me he is still a huge question mark going into next season. It is impossible to deny, however, that he has the best shot of any defenseman on the team as it stands, and is the 2nd best offensive defenseman at this point.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:51 PM
  #31
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
He has the hardest shot on the team but what got Quincey his points were shots that could be deflected. My worry with Johnson is that he just rips it and tries to pick the corner every time while the greats like Lidstrom just always makes sure to get their shot through.

Barring injury, I'm looking at a 12 goal, 25 assists season.
While I agree on your point, that more goes to situations. In the world championships, Jack showed he has a howitzer, but he also had a "get on net" shot as well.

The biggest thing is situations. One is the obvious one of PP time. Defenseman are giving the time and space to make it happen here. JJ and Doughty should both dominate our PP time from the back end. The second is partners. I still have ugly visions of when JJ and Greene were partnered together and Greeney would hold the puck until he was covered and then shoot into the opposing forward, while JJ is sitting wide open on the other point.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:52 PM
  #32
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
While I agree on your point, that more goes to situations. In the world championships, Jack showed he has a howitzer, but he also had a "get on net" shot as well.

The biggest thing is situations. One is the obvious one of PP time. Defenseman are giving the time and space to make it happen here. JJ and Doughty should both dominate our PP time from the back end. The second is partners. I still have ugly visions of when JJ and Greene were partnered together and Greeney would hold the puck until he was covered and then shoot into the opposing forward, while JJ is sitting wide open on the other point.
Yeah, the fact is that Greene was almost incapable of passing in the offensive zone almost killed Jack's even strength production.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:54 PM
  #33
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Yeah, the fact is that Greene was almost incapable of passing in the offensive zone almost killed Jack's even strength production.
It felt like a cruel joke.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:02 PM
  #34
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
It felt like a cruel joke.
Greene minus well have stayed behind the red line and let Jack carry the puck in... the only time Greene ever produced offense was on fluky shots that 99% of the time did nothing, or 1 time where he threw a pass to Frolov to create a breakaway (against the Leafs)

But yeah, it was sad to see Greene and Jack enter the zone, and you knew Jack could rip it, but instead, for Greene just tot take a weak shot and most likely give up possession

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:02 PM
  #35
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
I'm going to try and judge Johnson against the rest of the team. To me, Johnson "breaking out" means that he is our second best defenseman. Scuderi may be more positionally sound, but Johnson should hit as much as Greene and score as much as Doughty. We don't have a crappy defense like in his first year, when being our best defenseman really was more a reflection of the team than it was of Johnson. Now that has changed. We have a respectable group of defenseman, but none of whom, save for Doughty, should be better than Johnson this year.

Whether he scores 10 goals or 20 goals, 20 assists or 40, I just don't want to be thinking during as many games this year as I did the last that 3 or 4 other defenseman had a better game than Johnson. That ratio has to change.

All that aside, I think 12-16goals and 25-35 assists is well within his reach pending the play of Williams and Smyth.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:04 PM
  #36
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
I thought that Jack and Greene was by far our worst pairing all of last year. They just couldn't read each other at all. Bad fit and I'm surprised how many people pair them together in mock line-ups.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:08 PM
  #37
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I thought that Jack and Greene was by far our worst pairing all of last year. They just couldn't read each other at all. Bad fit and I'm surprised how many people pair them together in mock line-ups.
I agree, and furthermore, I would say that Scuderi - Johnson is by far the ideal pairing, especially considering that JMFJ has considerable untapped puck rushing ability

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
  #38
imissgretzky
 
imissgretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I'm going to try and judge Johnson against the rest of the team. To me, Johnson "breaking out" means that he is our second best defenseman. Scuderi may be more positionally sound, but Johnson should hit as much as Greene and score as much as Doughty. We don't have a crappy defense like in his first year, when being our best defenseman really was more a reflection of the team than it was of Johnson. Now that has changed. We have a respectable group of defenseman, but none of whom, save for Doughty, should be better than Johnson this year.

Whether he scores 10 goals or 20 goals, 20 assists or 40, I just don't want to be thinking during as many games this year as I did the last that 3 or 4 other defenseman had a better game than Johnson. That ratio has to change.

All that aside, I think 12-16goals and 25-35 assists is well within his reach pending the play of Williams and Smyth.
How many points will Doughty and Johnson have combined? 70, 80? I think 90 is probably the ceiling, but man that would be nice.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:14 PM
  #39
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Greene minus well have stayed behind the red line and let Jack carry the puck in... the only time Greene ever produced offense was on fluky shots that 99% of the time did nothing, or 1 time where he threw a pass to Frolov to create a breakaway (against the Leafs)

But yeah, it was sad to see Greene and Jack enter the zone, and you knew Jack could rip it, but instead, for Greene just tot take a weak shot and most likely give up possession
Yeah it was painful. I love Greene for what he brings to the team, but it was like he got this idea in his head that he was the offensive d-man when he was out there with JJ and it disrupted any flow for the team when they were out there.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:33 PM
  #40
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
You are right but there is also tremendous value on getting a hard and heavy shot on net which often, if kept low, creates a rebound for Smyth or Williams
That's the problem. Hard and heavy into the Toyota ad like Corvo.

If he can harness his shot then we'll be in business. IT goes back to what Tikk mentioned: his low shot totals. He needs to start shooting more often and make sure it's on net.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:39 PM
  #41
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
That's the problem. Hard and heavy into the Toyota ad like Corvo.

If he can harness his shot then we'll be in business. IT goes back to what Tikk mentioned: his low shot totals. He needs to start shooting more often and make sure it's on net.
A low hard shot on net is the bread and butter of a great PP.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:19 AM
  #42
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
If this were The Price Is Right I'd be betting $1.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:02 AM
  #43
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Do not really care if Johnson improves offensively. I just hope he can be a more physical defenseman that plays with a nasty edge. He's shown flashes, but it's taken him time to adjust to the bigger players in the NHL and I think it's time he steps up in his own end and starts dropping the hammer.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:43 AM
  #44
not tellin*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
his range of points will be determined by PP time which will rest on TM and partially on JJ shoulders. i liked the few flashes of DD and JJ manning the points last season on the PP, sure they got caught a couple times pinching too low but i think that was a good glimpse of the future (minus the bad pinching of course). Lubo used to do it a lot and he learned the times where it was okay to pinch, hopefully our boys can learn the same thing. either way, with DD sprawling back checking acrobatics we should be okay.


Last edited by not tellin*: 08-19-2009 at 11:13 AM.
not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
  #45
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,055
vCash: 500
78 gp 12 g 26 a 38 points , 9 pp goals , - 11 , 98PIM's, 205 hits, 145 blocked shots

1 benching - don't piss off the coach
2 game suspension - I think we will see the temper this year
1 game missed with injury
6 fights
1 Shea Weber autograph
6 highlights of the night clips - 2 winners - 1 hit, 1 shootout goal

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
  #46
treason47
 
treason47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to treason47
i remember when the Kings first acquired Johnson all i heard was kill jack kill, and jmfj...I'm still waiting for some of that aggression and grit. Wake me up when he starts checking.

treason47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
  #47
treason47
 
treason47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to treason47
I'll peg Johnson at 30 points...10g 20a. Watching him play college hockey i remember thinking "hey this player takes charge from the point and has a real nice shot, top pairing dman in the future" ....I know he's got the skill just waiting for him to step it up. As long as he is improving i am happy.

treason47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:30 PM
  #48
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If this were The Price Is Right I'd be betting $1.
Classic post!


As for predictions, any of you who believe JJ will tally 50 points need to stop drinking or whatever else it is you are doing that is skewing your reasoning abilities.
12 G 22 A is likely to be a ceiling for a guy who hasnt shown but flashes of offensive brilliance in 120 NHL games. More importantly, unless that minus 42 changes, JJ isnt likely to get 20 minutes of ice time a night.


Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 08-20-2009 at 01:40 PM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
  #49
smokes lets go
Registered User
 
smokes lets go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,318
vCash: 500
Is everyone still hopefull he can become a top pairing Ed Jovonovski(sp) type defenseman? I know at the draft and through college he was hyped as being a #1, Franchise caliber defenseman

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
  #50
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!
 
hauspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: South Korea
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
As for predictions, any of you who believe JJ will tally 50 points need to stop drinking or whatever else it is you are doing that is skewing your reasoning abilities.
12 G 22 A is likely to be a ceiling for a guy who hasnt shown but flashes of offensive brilliance in 120 NHL games. More importantly, unless that minus 42 changes, JJ isnt likely to get 20 minutes of ice time a night.
what a party pooper you are..

I agree with you.. I think he needs to start showing everybody what he can do as a DEFENSEMAN first..

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.