HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will preds pick anyone up before seasons starts?

Old
08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Will preds pick anyone up before seasons starts?

This thread is exactly what the title is. Do you think that there is really any chance whatsoever that we end up signing a guy like,

Tanguay, Prospal, Afinogenov, Sykora, or Comrie???

Or do you think we may possibly still pull the trigger on a trade before the season starts???

Based on what we have seen so far, what do you figure will be the verdict?

1. Trade for someone to score goals

2. Sign one of the above mentioned goal scorers

3. Or do the easiest thing and just do nothing at all and miss playoffs again most likely.

Which one?? I am trying to have faith that we still sign someone up, but it is lookin slimmer by the day....

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:44 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
The simple answer is "no". Unless something falls into Poile's lap like JP did, things will stay just as they are.

The team is still better than the start of last year. If for no other reason than they are starting the year with Sully on the top line and only need someone to fit on the second line with Erat and Legwand.

Why does everyone keep rehashing the same effing topic anyway?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

As much as I wish that we would add a scorer, I just don't see it happening unless it is on the Yanic Perrault/Joel Ward route....i.e., a minimum deal or camp tryout.....which isn't likely to happen.

08-05-2009, 08:58 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think it's going to be a training camp invite.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
echlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
This thread is exactly what the title is. Do you think that there is really any chance whatsoever that we end up signing a guy like,

Or do you think we may possibly still pull the trigger on a trade before the season starts???

3. Or do the easiest thing and just do nothing at all and miss playoffs again most likely.

Which one?? I am trying to have faith that we still sign someone up, but it is lookin slimmer by the day....

Answer= 3

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I think it's going to be a training camp invite.
Mike Sillinger would be a perfect Yanic Perrault scenario...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Any word on how Sillinger is doing following his injuries. I thought about him earlier in the summer as a 2nd liner and veteran locker room presence.

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

Please stop thinking we are gonna sign Tanguay. HE IS TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!

With the exception to Prospal, I would rather not sign any of those guys and save ourselves the money/headache. And I would only take Prospal for $2M

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I wouldn't mind bringing back Sillinger. He played very well with us. He had some tough breaks and was a bit snake-bit in the playoffs, but he worked his butt off that entire series. Bring him back!

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post
Any word on how Sillinger is doing following his injuries. I thought about him earlier in the summer as a 2nd liner and veteran locker room presence.
Latest update I could find was an article in Newsday on May 15th, however I do remember seeing a NY newspaper blog giving the thumbs up on Sillinger's rehab right around July 1st.

Here is the article from May 15th detailing his surgeries:
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._comeback.html

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
lightning_legwand*

The only problem with Sillinger is that he is a few years older than when we had him. I would not mind seeing him back either, but would like some of the others.

Even if Tanguay is to expensive (which he really isnt in my eyes when we pay others bigger money), or just sign Prospal!

Old
08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
DManPreds11

WOW! Patrick Eaves 1 year 500k, I think we will not be signing anybody as all of you think. Watch, if this guys stays healthy it will 'p' us all off that Poile just sat there and did nothing AGAIN!!!

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
WOW! Patrick Eaves 1 year 500k, I think we will not be signing anybody as all of you think. Watch, if this guys stays healthy it will 'p' us all off that Poile just sat there and did nothing AGAIN!!!
Wait... are you saying Eaves wanted to come here and we passed him over? How do you know Poile didn't want Eaves?

Old
08-06-2009, 02:01 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Wait... are you saying Eaves wanted to come here and we passed him over? How do you know Poile didn't want Eaves?
How do you know he didn't? How do you know if Poile even knows if Eaves wanted to come here or not? Going by past history, I would lean against Poile even looking into Eaves interest.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:01 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I think the fact that Eaves signed for little more than the league minimum shows that nobody was very interested.

If we're going to sign someone, it'll be Prospal. Even if we don't have the cash, it's not like what we have is outright terrible.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post
How do you know he didn't? How do you know if Poile even knows if Eaves wanted to come here or not? Going by past history, I would lean against Poile even looking into Eaves interest.
Exactly my point. I don't. You don't. Nobody does. Yet people still want to blame and point fingers without knowing the entire situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I think the fact that Eaves signed for little more than the league minimum shows that nobody was very interested.

If we're going to sign someone, it'll be Prospal. Even if we don't have the cash, it's not like what we have is outright terrible.
I disagree. I seriously doubt Detroit was the only team interested in him. He obviously took a (small) paycut to play with the best group of forwards in the league.

Old
08-06-2009, 02:57 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Exactly my point. I don't. You don't. Nobody does. Yet people still want to blame and point fingers without knowing the entire situation.

I disagree. I seriously doubt Detroit was the only team interested in him. He obviously took a (small) paycut to play with the best group of forwards in the league.
No, he got bought out by the best forward group in the league. Detroit's forward corps isn't even the best in the Central Division. He's virtually guaranteed a roster spot, which I think is a big part of why he signed there.

Old
08-06-2009, 04:35 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
No, he got bought out by the best forward group in the league. Detroit's forward corps isn't even the best in the Central Division. He's virtually guaranteed a roster spot, which I think is a big part of why he signed there.
Yeah, Detroit is terrible. What was I thinking. They'll be in the running for the lottery pick this year

Old
08-06-2009, 05:02 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Yeah, Detroit is terrible. What was I thinking. They'll be in the running for the lottery pick this year
I never said that, Captain Hyperbole. Detroit have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen, but what else have they got? Filppula and Cleary are 40-45 point players, Leino shows promise but is unproven. Helm is not an offensive threat and Hölmström can't stay healthy.

Top to bottom, they're nowhere close to the best forward group in the league. That distinction belongs to Boston.

Old
08-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I never said that, Captain Hyperbole. Detroit have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen, but what else have they got? Filppula and Cleary are 40-45 point players, Leino shows promise but is unproven. Helm is not an offensive threat and Hölmström can't stay healthy.

Top to bottom, they're nowhere close to the best forward group in the league. That distinction belongs to Boston.
Oh hell, the Wings just added Williams. That pretty much puts their offense over the top ()

Old
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:

WHAT!! I would Looooooooove if Nashville had the offensive Detroit had!! How does being the most dominate team over the last ten years not have the best offense?? Almost won back to back cups, but they dont have amazing offense??

Zetterberg, Williams, Datsyuk, Eaves, Cleary, Franzen, Holmstrom, Filppula

Find me a better offense in the league!

Old
08-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
WHAT!! I would Looooooooove if Nashville had the offensive Detroit had!! How does being the most dominate team over the last ten years not have the best offense?? Almost won back to back cups, but they dont have amazing offense??

Zetterberg, Williams, Datsyuk, Eaves, Cleary, Franzen, Holmstrom, Filppula

Find me a better offense in the league!

amazing that the name Nicklas Lidstrom fails to be on your list ... the best overall defenseman of this generation

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
amazing that the name Nicklas Lidstrom fails to be on your list ... the best overall defenseman of this generation
The only funny part about that is we were talking about forwards.

Old
08-06-2009, 04:45 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Yeah, too bad he's not a forward, which was what we were discussing.

How about Kessel, Savard, Ryder, Lucic, Krejci, and Wheeler? Oh, wait, there's also Recchi, Bergeron, and Sturm. And that's not even mentioning Kobasew, since I have no idea what they're doing with him. That's nine, count them, NINE forwards that could put up 50+ points this year, and another 20 goal scorer who typically puts up 40+ points.

There's another team, too: Kariya, Backes, Boyes, Perron, Berglund, Oshie, Tkachuk, McDonald. If all of those players had stayed healthy, they would have put up north of 50 points last season. That's a dominant offensive group.

Philadelphia, San Jose, and Anaheim all have a superior top six groups. So that's now five teams with better forward groups.

Just for clarity's sake: I'm not saying Detroit will miss the playoffs. I don't think they will. But I think that this is the first year that they struggle to win 50 games, if they do at all. Their offensive depth is still too fragile.