HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: Plekanec swap for Bergeron?

Old
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM
hockeyjockey

vCash: 500
Proposal: Plekanec swap for Bergeron?

Based on their dissapointing seasons last year, would one fathom the trade with the B's for eachother's second line center?

I would actually seriously consider this swap...

The B's need to dump salary to sign Kessel and the current pointed finger is dumping Bergeron to do so. I would definitely keep Kessel instead.

Plekanec is our best trade bait, signed a one year contract and probably is our most volatile product to potentially leave next summer for greener pastures.

Both teams would satisfy a need if they were partners based on a couple of ideas. We can help them sign Kessel by taking some salary and giving them a more than affordable filler to test for a year. Has experience with Ryder and also their coach.

The Habs receive a question mark but well worth the risk. Prior to the injury Bergeron was up and coming and could've been the B's first line center the last few seasons. If healthy, he can be our second line upgrade we are looking for. 6'0 at has already 2x 70 pt seasons in the last 4 years. the last 2 years he missed quite a few games.

Apart from the player trade itself, Quebec would blow the roof off to bring in a local star that is "elite" caliber.

Would you agree?

Seems to be more a realistic idea on salaries as well. Only 2.25 million to hide instead of another 3.25 million for a Marleau trade. The latter would also make us lose our prospects for a one year contract/UFa to be...

Trade would obviously include more components.

Food for thought.

Last edited by hockeyjockey: 08-02-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: addition
hockeyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:26 AM
SpreeEndaz

Boston would simply laugh at us and counter-offer Begin, Fernandez and a 2nd for Plekanec.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Hermamoud

I doubt that Boston would trade with their #1 rivals in the NHL. And we don't know how much the concussions have affected Bergeron's game.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyEndaz View Post
Boston would simply laugh at us and counter-offer Begin, Fernandez and a 2nd for Plekanec.
Wouldn't it be funny if we traded Halak and a 2nd for Ryder?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:38 AM
hockeyjockey

Quote:
Why would Boston Laugh? Would they laugh when they lose their most dynamic forward for prospects? To be honest, they need to sign Kessel and would have to give up if they wanna keep him.

hockeyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:39 AM
NHLcrazy

You want a Nordiques fan who plays for the Bruins and hates the Habs?

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:42 AM
TheCH*

No, Bergeron makes a couple million more then Plekanec and he would also be on the books for next year. We don't need that salary next year considering we have Lapierre Latendresse, Price, Halak and S. Kostitsyn all rfa's with very little cap space as it stands right now let alone adding Bergeron's 4.75 million. Makes no sense for the habs. Actually the habs need to find a way to get Hamrlik off the books next year in order to retain the rfa's.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Subban76

Bergeron is 6' and 186 lbs
Plek is 5'11" and 197 lbs

I don't think we are getting bigger this way!
And concussion boy is too much of a risk.

Pass!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:45 AM
PK76

If it wasn't for his health issues I wouldn't even think twice about making this swap.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:45 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjockey View Post
Why would Boston Laugh? Would they laugh when they lose their most dynamic forward for prospects? To be honest, they need to sign Kessel and would have to give up if they wanna keep him.
Yes, but you omitted in your reasoning that there's 28 other teams that Boston could trade with. Hence, they could get way better return for someone like Bergeron elsewhere.

Old
08-02-2009, 09:46 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
I think the b's have committed themselves to trading Kessel otherwise they would not have used their cap space to sign Morris.

Old
08-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
No, Bergeron makes a couple million more then Plekanec and he would also be on the books for next year. We don't need that salary next year considering we have Lapierre Latendresse, Price, Halak and S. Kostitsyn all rfa's with very little cap space as it stands right now let alone adding Bergeron's 4.75 million. Makes no sense for the habs. Actually the habs need to find a way to get Hamrlik off the books next year in order to retain the rfa's.
Worst case scenario is Hamrlik can be bought out next year with only 1 yewar left on his contract. It would be a 1.8M cap hit for 2 years.

Old
08-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Yes, but you omitted in your reasoning that there's 28 other teams that Boston could trade with. Hence, they could get way better return for someone like Bergeron elsewhere.
With is history of concussions and stats last yar, not sure he as that much value out there with a 4.75M cap hit.

Old
08-02-2009, 09:52 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Komi View Post
With is history of concussions and stats last yar, not sure he as that much value out there with a 4.75M cap hit.
So we're trying to convince ourselves he's in our trading reach by low-balling his value ? Why would we want him if he's that risky after our last season full of injuries ?

Old
08-02-2009, 09:52 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Komi View Post
Bergeron is 6' and 186 lbs
Plek is 5'11" and 197 lbs

I don't think we are getting bigger this way!
And concussion boy is too much of a risk.

Pass!
Tsn has it listed as:

6'2 194
5'10 194

same weight, but taller and as you said, concussion is major risk.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

It's not going to happen. While I don't mind Plekanec, Bergeron is in an other category and he means more to the Bruins than Kessel and they wouldn't be getting fair market value for him due to his concussion history. You gotta think that Kessel, for that reason, will bring more to the Bruins in return as well.

Maybe you should call your buddy Eklund and he can put it e3?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

Either way, anyone not concerned that bergeron in his first 3 seasons made 69 goals in 229 games. 30.1% of games he'd score. His last 2 seasons 11 goals in 74 games. 14.8% of games. Even worse considering the first 3 seasons includes a rookie year where he was 18 years old and still managed more of a goal ratio than now. I wish him all the best for a comeback, but even if he does comeback, tear the league up and so on, who's to say a year, 2 years or 5 years down the line he isn't finished? Boston wouldn't make the trade anyway, and I wouldn't take him.

Old
08-02-2009, 10:01 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
You want a Nordiques fan who plays for the Bruins and hates the Habs?
So does that mean Kadri a diehard Habs fan will not report to the Leafs?

All players grow up cheering for their favorite teams, when your getting paid millions of dollars to play at the Pro level these players would wear a jersey that has a logo of Dog Do-Do on it!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
No thanks.

Bergeron was very useful last year in his role with the Bruins. He was their best faceoff man, best two way forward, and chipped in on offense quite a bit. He put points on the board at a pace equal to Jordan Staal, which is about all you can expect from a 3rd line center playing the role of defensive conscience for their hockey club.

Plekanec brings none of that and would be relatively useless in the third line role in Boston. He's far better suited to produce in a top 6 role, but wouldn't unseat Krejci or Savard in Boston to get that role. Boston would save more money dumping a guy like Kobasew for picks then they would swapping Plekanec and Bergeron, and their team would be better for it as Kobasew is fairly redundant at this point.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
No thanks.

Bergeron was very useful last year in his role with the Bruins. He was their best faceoff man, best two way forward, and chipped in on offense quite a bit. He put points on the board at a pace equal to Jordan Staal, which is about all you can expect from a 3rd line center playing the role of defensive conscience for their hockey club.

Plekanec brings none of that and would be relatively useless in the third line role in Boston. He's far better suited to produce in a top 6 role, but wouldn't unseat Krejci or Savard in Boston to get that role. Boston would save more money dumping a guy like Kobasew for picks then they would swapping Plekanec and Bergeron, and their team would be better for it as Kobasew is fairly redundant at this point.
While I agree with your assessment of Bergeron, you're way off in your theory for Plekanec. He's not as physical as Bergeron but he's extremely reliable defensively, is a great PK'er and has speed to burn. He's be quite good in a checking role but his face-offs would need to improve.

Still, I'm against the trade anyway as Bergeron is one hit away from retirement and it doesn't make sense for that reason as he's more useful to the Bruins than the return they could get for him.

Old
08-02-2009, 10:12 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
No thanks.

Wait, Pleks does none of what you said? LMAO you have no idea what you are talking about.

Pleks is a good faceoff man, will also put points up at the pace of Jordan Staal, and is very reliable defensively. Habs would never do this trade though, contract situation just makes no sense.

Old
08-02-2009, 10:14 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
No thanks.

You realize he started on the 3rd line here because he was a checking line center? A two-way player, undersized? yes, but bad defensively I don't think so. He may not have the jam in his game to be a selke trophy winner, but hockey IQ wise, he has pretty good positioning and does some good pokechecks. I don't necessarily want plekanec, but people make him seem like crap.

Old
08-02-2009, 10:20 AM
NewHabsEra*

lol Plekanec is easily our most underrated player on the roster, people will realize how good this guy can be, he has great hockey IQ, compete at a very high level and has underrated skills.. I expect him to have a monster season..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Wait, Pleks does none of what you said? LMAO you have no idea what you are talking about.

Pleks is a good faceoff man, will also put points up at the pace of Jordan Staal, and is very reliable defensively. Habs would never do this trade though, contract situation just makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You realize he started on the 3rd line here because he was a checking line center? A two-way player, undersized? yes, but bad defensively I don't think so. He may not have the jam in his game to be a selke trophy winner, but hockey IQ wise, he has pretty good positioning and does some good pokechecks. I don't necessarily want plekanec, but people make him seem like crap.
Not interested in a flamewar... I just don't think Plekanecs is anywhere near the player Bergeron is defensively, does anyone disagree. Nor do i think he is a great faceoff man (his numbers back up my opinion btw).

Bergeron is far better suited for the third line checking center role for Boston. He's also more physical, even after coming back from serious injury.

And isn't Pleks a UFA after this year?

Ps. I don't think he's crap at all, I think (as I said) he's better suited for a top 6 role then a 3rd checking line role, which is what Boston has and needs in Bergeron.

No offense meant folks.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
lol Plekanec is easily our most underrated player on the roster, people will realize how good this guy can be, he has great hockey IQ, compete at a very high level and has underrated skills.. I expect him to have a monster season..
I'd have to agree with this. I am expecting a great season by Plekanec under Jacques Martin, and now that he doesn't have a puck hog on his line. It will now be HIS line.

Quote:
Not interested in a flamewar... I just don't think Plekanecs is anywhere near the player Bergeron is defensively, does anyone disagree. Nor do i think he is a great faceoff man (his numbers back up my opinion btw).

Bergeron is far better suited for the third line checking center role for Boston. He's also more physical, even after coming back from serious injury.

And isn't Pleks a UFA after this year?

Ps. I don't think he's crap at all, I think (as I said) he's better suited for a top 6 role then a 3rd checking line role, which is what Boston has and needs in Bergeron.
Again, in bold the two points I strongly disagree with. The rest, I give you. Bergeron is better on face-offs and more physical. Plekanec is a lot faster though as he's one of the fastest skating players on our team, which has been known as one of the fastest ones in the NHL.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 08-02-2009 at 05:11 PM.