HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Top Prospects #2

View Poll Results: who does #2 work for
D Casey Borer 0 0%
LW Drayson Bowman 16 53.33%
D Brett Carson 0 0%
RW/C Zac Dalpe 0 0%
RW/C Nick Dodge 0 0%
D Brian Dumoulin 0 0%
LW Mattias Lindstrom 0 0%
D Jamie McBain 2 6.67%
G Mike Murphy 1 3.33%
LW Philippe Paradis 1 3.33%
G Justin Peters 0 0%
C Brandon Sutter 8 26.67%
C Chris Terry 2 6.67%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2009, 09:50 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Canes Top Prospects #2

List so far:
1) C/LW Zach Boychuk 52.00%

adding Borer, Dodge, Lindstrom and Peters for this round

my vote for next to add: C Stefan Chaput or RW Jerome Samson

Last edited by DaveG: 08-02-2009 at 10:09 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Scorvo

vCash: 500
Bowman, highest upside of any of our prospects I think

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Sutter for me.

While Bowman does indeed have the 'higher potential' as of today, it's still a pretty big question mark whether or not he reaches that potential or not. I have seen too many kids in junior who resemble that of Drayson Bowman and Chris Terry for me to get overly ecstatic & optimistic by them. With Sutter, he is more of a sure thing for me in the mold of Kris Draper. That is my personal comparison. Evidently their are some attributes to their game that are different (skating, for example) however, I beleive he can be that type of building block and corner stone to our franchise as one of those defensive, shutdown aces. I also believe a year in the Albany will provide Sutter with the time to develop a more all around game and he may become more polished in both the offensive zone and defensive zone. If he can play the year in Albany, come ready to begin the 2010-2011 season at 6'3 200, he'll be turning 22, and have approx. 100 AHL games under his belt, we could be in store for a much different Brandon Sutter compared to what we witnessed out of a 19 year old fence pole. I think Sutter may surprise a bit. I'm not saying he'll be a top 6 center, however, I believe he can be a real good #3 who can pot 10-15 goals, 15-20 assists, 25-35 points.

I love Bowman, and when I put him in a sentence with Chris Terry, I'm not knocking the kid. He looks like a diamond in the rough, steal from his draft class who could blossom into a real good sniper in the NHL. With that said, I'll take a bit more of a cautious route until I see him translate his positive junior career to the pro's this season. If he can do that, then there will likely be no question that he'll surpass Brandon Sutter in my rankings.

If anything, Sutter will make it on his defensive game alone. If Bowman doesn't translate to the NHL based on his offensive game, he's likely to not make the big leagues and could become one of those guys who can score at the AHL level but for whatever reason, not the NHL. One of these two is going to make the dance, while the other, may not have a date.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Bowman. If you've seen the kid shoot a hockey puck, you'll probably agree. Without question the best wrist shot in our minor organization and potentially in Raleigh. I've compared him to Lupul for a long time, and his upside is right there. I think in Bowman we have the long term answer at a winger for Staal.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 02:24 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby shall return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Bowman. If you've seen the kid shoot a hockey puck, you'll probably agree. Without question the best wrist shot in our minor organization and potentially in Raleigh. I've compared him to Lupul for a long time, and his upside is right there. I think in Bowman we have the long term answer at a winger for Staal.
I agree with you here, I'd also go with Bowman. For some reason I'm not allowed to vote in the poll, must be my low post count.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

I'm staying with my gut feeling. Paradis will surprise and be a top 6 guy within several years.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
I hate it when people make off the board picks and then don't explain them. Not that I have a problem with going against the consensus, I'd just like to hear their opinion for why. Like whoever picked Chris Terry as our 2nd best prospect. I like Terry as much as the next guy but I wouldn't rate him that high. Just curious to hear the reasoning.

Cardiac_Canes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:22 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I agree with pretty much everything here. Bowman has an unreal shot from what I've seen of him in the playoffs the last two seasons. Although I'm not sure if he'll be compatible with Staal unless there's another playmaking winger on their line. Both guys love to shoot the puck.

Bowman may not be as much of a sure thing as Sutter, but I don't think he's that far behind and his offensive skills are clearly superior. I think playing on Red Deer's crappy teams really hindered Sutter's offensive potential. Their offense was completely terrible almost every year he was there with the exception of the 2006-2007 and even then they still weren't that good.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote