HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Arbitration: 1 Year at $3.90M

Old
08-02-2009, 03:07 PM
tiger_80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
Zherdev is a right winger, why not have him fill-out the 2nd line instead and put O'Sullivan in the LW position? Also, I think O'Sullivan might crack the first line That would be super!
I think Zherdev is a LW, no?

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
as of right now the Rangers only have 4 NHL dmen signed....maybe a Staios+Nilsson package would interest them...heck throw in Schremp for a 4th if they are interested
That's a good point. I'm not they'd want Schremp though. How many forwards do they have signed?

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I would certainly dangle one of Gilbert or Grebeshkov but it would more likely end up being something like Nilsson straight up.
Gilbert or Grebs for Zherdev? No way do the Oilers offer that, both of them I think are better players than Z.

Last edited by Eytinge: 08-02-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Rangers only have five NHL defensemen signed for next season: Redden, Roszival, Girardi, Gilroy and Staal. I think they expect Sanguinetti to take the next step, but maybe they would be interested in Staios/Gilbert/Grebeshkov/Smid.

Staios and Schremp would be ideal
I would think most Oilers fans would do Staios and Schremp for Zherdev, although I would like to see what Schremp could do for one last camp. It looks like a trade for needs in my opinion. Keep in mind Staios makes 2.7 for 2 more years (through 2010-2011)

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:09 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I think Zherdev is a LW, no?
According to TSN's player profile he can play either wing. I don't know which one he prefers, though.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=3664

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Gilbert or Grebs for Zherdev? No way do the Oilers offer that, both of them I think are better players that Z.
Even if they were not, there's too much risk for a guy (Z) who might bolt after next year.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Ranford#30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Rangers only have five NHL defensemen signed for next season: Redden, Roszival, Girardi, Gilroy and Staal. I think they expect Sanguinetti to take the next step, but maybe they would be interested in Staios/Gilbert/Grebeshkov/Smid.

Staios and Schremp would be ideal
My thoughts exactly - except my package would be Staois and Nilsson.

Ranford#30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranford#30 View Post
My thoughts exactly - except my package would be Staois and Nilsson.
?? The Rangers wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole. One of the reasons for walking away from a young 20-30 goal scorer is money. I doubt thay'd want to add more than they're leaving and get less. Sather's not that dumb...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Philly85
Moody'

From most of what I saw, it looked like Zherdev had a pretty good year last season. He is an enigma in the same mold as Hemsky, hasn't been able to find a good team to fit in with or a good mix of linemates to play with... I don't think attitude is a problem at all. Loads of skill and decent hockey sense, is going to be more of a late bloomer I think. Still young.

Maybe with the 2 Russians on our team he would consider coming to Edmonton... would be a nice fit on that 1st or 2nd line LW. Question is, does Edmonton need two similar "enigma"-esque players on the same team? I don't know, but I like the idea and still like Zherdev as a player. He improved his 2 way play last year big time.

Last edited by Philly85: 08-02-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 04:06 PM
40oz

I have to say, the only way I'd want Zherdev is if we can move an unwanted player while were at it, a Nilsson, Penner, or Staios.

Yes he can score and brings one facet of what we need, but I'd rather wait for a player that hasnt had the reported attitude and effort problems and doest bring nearly enough grit and physicallity. I know things look desperate, but he (and tanguay) just seems like a stopgap player. Filling a hole half***ed to keep the fans happy.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
vb

Makes you wonder why they went out and signed Kotalik.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Ringo13

I honestly think Nillson + Shremp gets it done.
What I would then do is deal Staios, and if that is impossible, put him in the minors.

What we would likely end up doing is Dealing a d-man (Souray, Vish, Gilbert, or Grebs) for a lesser contract.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
I honestly think Nillson + Shremp gets it done.
What I would then do is deal Staios, and if that is impossible, put him in the minors.

What we would likely end up doing is Dealing a d-man (Souray, Vish, Gilbert, or Grebs) for a lesser contract.
Why wouldn't it? They get 2 potential top 6 players for a guy that they don't seem to want around anymore. I would offer Nilsson straight up or Staios straight up for Zherdev. 2 teams that don't want to take on salary in this deal so we take on $1.2 and they subtract $1.2 and improve their defensive depth.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I have to say, the only way I'd want Zherdev is if we can move an unwanted player while were at it, a Nilsson, Penner, or Staios.

Yes he can score and brings one facet of what we need, but I'd rather wait for a player that hasnt had the reported attitude and effort problems and doest bring nearly enough grit and physicallity. I know things look desperate, but he (and tanguay) just seems like a stopgap player. Filling a hole half***ed to keep the fans happy.
Agreed, I wouldn't offer up anything substantial at this point for Zherdev. Staios IMO might very well make the most sense. Then deal Nilsson in a separate deal.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Toydarian

1 year of Zherdev at 3.9M seems like a "Low risk, High reward" option for the Oilers. True he isn't exactly what the Oilers want (ie an elite winger) but considering where we are I would gamble, if he doesn't work out we can trade him at the deadline or let him walk in which we gain get his cap hit back for Gagner and Cogs deals.

Nilssen + Schremp + 2rd 2010 would be a great trade from an Oil perspective and NYR would have an extra 2.9 to resign Dubinsky (which seems to be the Rangers no. 1 concern, the issue seems to be 1 or the other and I think most Rangers fans want Dubinsky over Zherdev) I dont think Schremp adds much value to deal, but could do well in NY, which is why I think a pick would be needed.

Smid + Schremp + 2rd 2010 is another trade option.

Either way if it doesn't cost us a prime prospect, 1st rd pick, and especially a Gagner, Cogs etc. I think Tambillini should be calling Sather right now.

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
Zherdev - Gagner - O'Sullivan

looks a lot better than

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
Nilssen - Gagner - O'Sullivan

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Ringo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Why wouldn't it? They get 2 potential top 6 players for a guy that they don't seem to want around anymore. I would offer Nilsson straight up or Staios straight up for Zherdev. 2 teams that don't want to take on salary in this deal so we take on $1.2 and they subtract $1.2 and improve their defensive depth.
Nillson makes 2 mil, Zherdev would make 3.9 mil, so we would have to take on 1.9 mil. I would be extremely happy if we could then trade Staios and sign Malhotra!

Old
08-02-2009, 05:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Staios has 2 seasons remaining on his contract which blocks the path for some of the Rangers younger defensemen. The team has invested first and second round picks for defensemen who need an opportunity to make the team. Matt Gilroy will be in the mix and is an odds on favorite to win a spot on defense.

How reliable is Dan Tencer? I asked him if the Oilers would pursue Zherdev on his chat session during his show and he said the Oil wouldn't pursue Zherdev.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Ringo13

Quote:
Nillson makes 2 mil, Zherdev would make 3.9 mil, so we would have to take on 1.9 mil. I would be extremely happy if we could then trade Staios and sign Malhotra!
Scoring Line 1:
Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Scoring Line 2a:
Zherdev Gagner O'sullivan
Scoring Line 2b:
Cogs Brule Pisani
Checking Line:
Moreau Malhotra Stortini

Old
08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Ringo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Staios has 2 seasons remaining on his contract which blocks the path for some of the Rangers younger defensemen. The team has invested first and second round picks for defensemen who need an opportunity to make the team. Matt Gilroy will be in the mix and is an odds on favorite to win a spot on defense.

How reliable is Dan Tencer? I asked him if the Oilers would pursue Zherdev on his chat session during his show and he said the Oil wouldn't pursue Zherdev.
He is somewhat reliable, but he announced that we had obtained Heatley and obviously got it wrong.

Old
08-02-2009, 05:13 PM
40oz

Quote:
He is somewhat reliable, but he announced that we had obtained Heatley and obviously got it wrong.
What? Tencer gave the details first, but refused to confirm it. Despite sportsnet, the score, and team1260 all confirming it.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Ringo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
What? Tencer gave the details first, but refused to confirm it. Despite sportsnet, the score, and team1260 all confirming it.
Am I getting Tencer mixed up with Gregor?

Old
08-02-2009, 05:23 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Am I getting Tencer mixed up with Gregor?
yes.
Tencer played the situation very cautious. Gregor jumped the gun. obviously Tencer has ties immediately to the org and Gregor was relying more on a media guy.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

I'd only be interested in Zherdev is the other player going back was Staios or less preferably Nilsson.

If we acquired Zherdev and he broke out for us he may see it as finally being in a place where he fit and resign with us (for mind you, a fat contract).

If he doesn't break out than we mind as well ship him off at the trade deadline. He said he wants to play in the East where the travel is easier on him.

Either way I'd see it as a 1-year venture and assess the risk and value as that.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:26 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post

Nilssen + Schremp + 2rd 2010 would be a great trade from an Oil perspective and NYR would have an extra 2.9 to resign Dubinsky (which seems to be the Rangers no. 1 concern, the issue seems to be 1 or the other and I think most Rangers fans want Dubinsky over Zherdev) I dont think Schremp adds much value to deal, but could do well in NY, which is why I think a pick would be needed.

Smid + Schremp + 2rd 2010 is another trade option.
I see no reason why the Oilers would trade picks/Smid for the uncertainty that is Zherdev. Nilsson + Schremp fine, but not much more then that.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Ranford#30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
?? The Rangers wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole. One of the reasons for walking away from a young 20-30 goal scorer is money. I doubt thay'd want to add more than they're leaving and get less. Sather's not that dumb...
Fair enough, but as another poster said, there are only 5 d-men signed next year and the package that Sather gave up to get Zherdev just one year ago was pretty good, mots notably Fedor Tyutin. So I agree it's not a great package, but it does give the Rangers some needs and assets before they loose Zherdev for nothing. So, don't you think it would be stupid to loose a contract contrable asset for nothing?

Ranford#30 is offline   Reply With Quote