HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Michael Nylander

Old
08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Read this: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...8#post20508498

But they would be shedding 2.55 in cap space...did you misread or am I missing something?
Except they give up 1 year of Pothier for 2 years of Jovo, meaning they only save .05 mil in that 2nd year. And if Nylander were on the team that season he could/would be waived or traded anywhere (no NMC) with a lower salary.

Neither of those big salary pieces would *likely* be on the Caps for 2010-2011, whereas Jovo almost certainly would. It'd be tougher on the cap situation.

Last edited by brs03: 08-02-2009 at 07:52 PM.
brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 07:59 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Send him to Nashville or Waive him. Maybe trade him and Theodore to a nobody team or a Team with lots of Cap room, even better, waive them. I just want to see Nylander go to the Islanders because its like NY--lander. I also like to see Theodore in San Jose cause of his first name. Theodore to San Jose wouldn't happen but maybe both for a no name player that isn't bad like Andrew Murray or BJ Crombeen.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Except they give up 1 year of Pothier for 2 years of Jovo, meaning they only save .05 mil in that 2nd year. And if Nylander were on the team that season he could/would be waived or traded anywhere (no NMC) with a lower salary.

Neither of those big salary pieces would *likely* be on the Caps for 2010-2011, whereas Jovo almost certainly would. It'd be tougher on the cap situation.
Yes, next year the cap would likely be piereced if Jovo was on WSH's roster when you consider the Backstrom and Semin RFA signings. However, there are many options that could be exercised to create the needed cap space, including moving/buying-out Clark, Poti, or even Jovo himself if he doesn't work out.

BTW, Jovo's buyout cap hit would be just a million more than Nylander if executed in the summer of 2010. I think that would be a justified "risk" considering the dead weight amount the Caps incur with Nylander on the payroll this year. Nevertheless, there maybe better options than acquiring Jovo. I just thought it was a good fit overall.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 08:28 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Yes, next year the cap would likely be piereced if Jovo was on WSH's roster when you consider the Backstrom and Semin RFA signings. However, there are many options that could be exercised to create the needed cap space, including moving/buying-out Clark, Poti, or even Jovo himself if he doesn't work out.

BTW, Jovo's buyout cap hit would be just a million more than Nylander if executed in the summer of 2010. I think that would be a justified "risk" considering the dead weight amount the Caps incur with Nylander on the payroll this year. Nevertheless, there maybe better options than acquiring Jovo. I just thought it was a good fit overall.
It wouldn't be insurmountable, but it would be worse than keeping Nylander, and that's all it has to be to make this a bad fit for the Caps.

Old
08-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
It wouldn't be insurmountable, but it would be worse than keeping Nylander, and that's all it has to be to make this a bad fit for the Caps.
So the 1 million in buyout difference completely overshadows how much better the Capitals would be with Jovo instead of Nylander in this upcoming season? Really?

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
I've actually been wondering if something like Nylander+ mid level picks/prospects for Modin would be workable for Columbus, or if they're too close to the cap/internal cap.

This way they'd essentially have 3 top 6 lines, with a nice mix of grit, scoring ability, youth and veteran leadership on each, and a premiere checking line.

Nash Brassard Voracek (good for ~80 goals all around)
Filatov Vermette Umberger (good for ~50-60 goals all around)
Mayorov Nylander Huselius (good for ~40-50 goals all around)
Chimera Pahlsson Boll
Intriguing idea, although I don't think Mayorov is ready for the NHL yet, and I think what money we have left is going towards a defenseman - if anything.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Intriguing idea, although I don't think Mayorov is ready for the NHL yet, and I think what money we have left is going towards a defenseman - if anything.
From what I've seen of Mayorov in the RSL and Syracuse, I think he could hold his own if he's broken in properly. If he's put with Nylander and Huselius and is allowed to stay in his comfort zone and get largely forgiven for amateur mistakes, gradually being given more defensive assignments as his confidence improves, he could very well end up with a 15-25 season if not better, and be primed for a very good one after next year. Competing against Filatov wouldn't hurt either. Though Hitchcock isn't that type of coach.

Old
08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

Devils gladly give you some combination of:
Mid-level prospect
A pick at 2nd round or lower
Pandolfo (plz)
We kind of need a 2nd line center and dude might look good with Elias and Rolston on his wings.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:01 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Mid-level prospect
Pandolfo (plz)
We kind of need a 2nd line center and dude might look good with Elias and Rolston on his wings.
I imagine the Caps would gladly take anything you'd offer, even if it meant taking on Pando as well. Worst case scenario he's a slightly cheaper guy sitting in the minors next season (2.5 vs. 3 mil for their 2010-2011 salaries).

Nylander might actually accept it too, NYC is probably high on the list of places his family would like to go if they're set on moving out.

Old
08-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Mid-level prospect
Pandolfo (plz)
This is very interesting commentary out of Nylander, but it doesn't surprise me.

Onto the quote and other trade responses, the Capitals probably would be willing to match salary next year, but they really can't afford to be taking on much salary next year. Pandolfo would add 2.5 to the Capitals cap next year.

However, I will admit that the Capitals will probably have to take on empty cap space in order to get Nylander moved. Even if Nylander might be good for 40-50 points, he's still overpaid and any team taking him will want the Capitals to take cap space back.

I thought Modin -> Washington for Nylander would've been a decent deal at the trade deadline (with assets to balance), but I don't think it makes sense for Columbus now that Modin has only one year left.

As far as Jovanovski goes, there could be a deal made around Nylander, but I'm not sure I want to throw Alzner in even if another prospect is coming back.

Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Harrison Ford

Pandolfo for Nylander.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Nylander might actually accept it too, NYC is probably high on the list of places his family would like to go if they're set on moving out.
Also Nylander and Brodeur are good friends. Both of their kids play/played on the same hockey team.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:22 PM
thrillhous

Package him with Semin and you could get something very nice in return. Then sign Backstrom to his big extension.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Package him with Semin and you could get something very nice in return. Then sign Backstrom to his big extension.
There's a name for GM's who package salary dumps with top line talent. It begins with the letter "R".

Unless you're shopping Wade Redden or Alexei Yashin '2007, pretty much any salary dump can be coupled with mid level picks and 7C level prospects and someone will take it. Attaching A list talent to it, and diluting the value of the latter, is poor management.

Old
08-03-2009, 07:30 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
That's not the type of deal GMGM would make though. If he has to give up an asset to unload Nylander it's not going to be his best potential trading chip (Semin), it'll be futures.

Old
08-03-2009, 07:30 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
Also Nylander and Brodeur are good friends. Both of their kids play/played on the same hockey team.
Interesting, never knew that. That seems like it'd be an odd friendship...

Old
08-03-2009, 08:05 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

The Devils thing actually somewhat makes sense...barely. Would Lou really want to add that contract (while sending out someone like Pandolfo)?

I mean....from a Caps perspective...that deal would work out nicely. Might have to throw in a pick or something to appease Lou...but really, being able to move Nylander for anything would be good news at this point.

...I really need to stop getting my hopes up.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:58 AM
OvechkinFTW!

Where's Nolan Yonkman at? Can we trade for him? LTIR is just as good as a trade considering we'd love to just give him away.

OvechkinFTW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvechkinFTW! View Post
Where's Nolan Yonkman at? Can we trade for him? LTIR is just as good as a trade considering we'd love to just give him away.

That is so not right.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:30 AM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
There's a name for GM's who package salary dumps with top line talent. It begins with the letter "R".

Unless you're shopping Wade Redden or Alexei Yashin '2007, pretty much any salary dump can be coupled with mid level picks and 7C level prospects and someone will take it. Attaching A list talent to it, and diluting the value of the latter, is poor management.
Quote:
That's not the type of deal GMGM would make though. If he has to give up an asset to unload Nylander it's not going to be his best potential trading chip (Semin), it'll be futures.
I agree that it wouldn't take Semin to unload Nylander; that wasn't my point. What I mean is this:

1. Backstrom and Semin are both RFA after this season and will require substantial pay-raises. A choice might have to be made.

2. It seems to me that if push comes to shove Backstrom is more valued due to his chemistry with OV and will be chosen if the choice has to be made.

3. Semin, while an awesome offensive weapon, is a luxury item for the Caps with OV/Backstrom prepared to set this league on fire for years to come.

4. Semin seems like the kind of guy that will demand a large contract and would be prepared to hold out or threaten KHL if he doesn't get what he wants. This is purely my opinion/speculation.

5. Semin/Nylander would bring back real talent that could take care of whatever GMGM's concerns are. Two-way forward signed to a reasonable contract? check. Minute-gobbling top 4 dman? check. You get my drift...

Am I out to lunch?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I think now with Renney in Edmonton they could have some interest. Imagine Zherdev, Nylander, and Betts all back under Renney.
Nylander has a NMC and his wife denied a contract that he was going to sign in Edmonton previously. I think he could work in Edmonton, but he's not going there.
http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
I agree that it wouldn't take Semin to unload Nylander; that wasn't my point. What I mean is this:

1. Backstrom and Semin are both RFA after this season and will require substantial pay-raises. A choice might have to be made.

2. It seems to me that if push comes to shove Backstrom is more valued due to his chemistry with OV and will be chosen if the choice has to be made.

3. Semin, while an awesome offensive weapon, is a luxury item for the Caps with OV/Backstrom prepared to set this league on fire for years to come.

4. Semin seems like the kind of guy that will demand a large contract and would be prepared to hold out or threaten KHL if he doesn't get what he wants. This is purely my opinion/speculation.

5. Semin/Nylander would bring back real talent that could take care of whatever GMGM's concerns are. Two-way forward signed to a reasonable contract? check. Minute-gobbling top 4 dman? check. You get my drift...

Am I out to lunch?
I don't think you're far off (I don't think Semin demands quite as much as you're hinting, nor do I think he's too likely to use the KHL as big-time leverage yet, recent comments by him are positive in this respect), but I don't think moving him would be connected with moving Nylander.

Semin is by far the Caps' most valuable tradable asset *if* it were to get to the point where he might be traded. No reason to bring his value down by trying to combine him with Nylander, at least not if there are other options (and there would be, hopefully).

I mean, if Semin+Nylander brings back a good player, Semin alone should bring back a better one, right? What team is going to give up a great player if they're taking on that much salary? At that point you're likely making concessions in the deal (Caps might have to take back a salary dump from their side, etc.) and so I think you're better off sending them to separate places if it comes to that.

And of course this assumes Semin would be dealt soon, and I don't think that's the case. There's likely pressure to try to get Nylander moved this fall, whereas with Semin if it comes to moving him the decision might not be made until June. Tough to say there.

Old
08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
The Devils thing actually somewhat makes sense...barely. Would Lou really want to add that contract (while sending out someone like Pandolfo)?

I mean....from a Caps perspective...that deal would work out nicely. Might have to throw in a pick or something to appease Lou...but really, being able to move Nylander for anything would be good news at this point.

...I really need to stop getting my hopes up.

What's Nylander's contract like?
I mean realistically he's still a decent player, and our need for a second line center is evident. Not to mention our better center prospects still have another year or so (Cormier most likely) before they're ready for Newark.
A hitch I'd see is that Pando has an NTC if I remember correctly. But he's also a decent player who at worst will bolster your locker room and 3rd/4th lines (Don't know how you guys are stacked there, admittedly).
With Pando gone it'd be easier for us to swallow a contract for a better player than him.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:47 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
I mean realistically he's still a decent player, and our need for a second line center is evident. Not to mention our better center prospects still have another year or so (Cormier most likely) before they're ready for Newark.
A hitch I'd see is that Pando has an NTC if I remember correctly. But he's also a decent player who at worst will bolster your locker room and 3rd/4th lines (Don't know how you guys are stacked there, admittedly).
With Pando gone it'd be easier for us to swallow a contract for a better player than him.
Nylander's contract: 5.5 mil this season, 3 mil next season; NMC this season, nothing next season; 4.875 mil cap hit

As far as Pando, we probably have a 4th line LW spot open, at least tentatively (Bourque is likely going to push for a roster spot, he's no longer waiver exempt, and if Fehr is healthy to start the season then it might be tough to find a spot). Forward depth is not lacking at the moment though, even among the grinder-types. Of course you never know how health will shake out, and there's always the possibility of trades.

Old
08-03-2009, 11:48 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Nylander has 2 years left at a $4.875 million cap hit (He's making $5.5 million this season and only $3 million next...so the buyout number will be rather reasonable is needed). He also the NMC for this season, but it is no longer an issue next year.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote