HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stan speaks with Tortorella

Old
07-31-2009, 07:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Stan speaks with Tortorella

Stan Fischler spoke to John Tortorella

Quote:
BLENDING UP-TEMPO WITH DEFENSE: "When I coached the Lightning, we played a real aggressive style. Having said that, a club doesn't win unless it's sound defensively. We don't want to spend time in our zone; but we won't trap.We have good, young defensemen in Marc Staal and Dan Girardi. They are the foundation of our defense, but I'd like both of them to add some bite to their game. And by that I don't mean running people into the boards, but a little nastiness. Marc needs the kind of bite his brother, Eric, has in Carolina. Wade Redden is going to play well and so will Michal Rozsival. They'll both be in better shape. Plus, we have some good kids coming up."
Quote:
EXPECTATIONS FROM MARIAN GABORIK: "He's one of the most dynamic game-breakers in the league and he can be that for us. And let's not forget, he played for Jacques Lemaire, one of the best coaches in the game, and that means that Marian also can play well away from the puck. He taught Marian and Marian also can kill penalties. I believe that top players should play a lot and he will be. Right now, it looks like either Chris Drury or Brandon Dubinsky will be his center. I know a lot of people have mentioned Gaborik's injuries from the past, but he says he's healthy and we checked him out."
http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2009/07/...lk-with-torts/

You can read the rest in the story

Lundqvist is not going to play as much as he has in the past.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:13 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Stan Fischler spoke to John Tortorella

http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2009/07/...lk-with-torts/

You can read the rest in the story

Lundqvist is not going to play as much as he has in the past.
Maybe not for us, but he will get his usual amount of games when you include the olympics.

I hate the olympics were gonna get a worn down Lundy

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:16 PM
frankthefrowner

On Avery:

Quote:
Remember, he took one penalty in Game Five against Washington and then a second that could have cost us the game. After that we had a great conversation, but in Game Six he tippy-toed around the ice. After that I told him I want him right on the edge. Yet he can't do stupid stuff and cross the line. Otherwise, I'll have to reel him in. I don't want him to tippy-toe — just don't cross the line!"
Is he going to say the same stuff to Brashear, because im more concerned about this moron doing something stupid...

Honeslty Avery rarley has issues ON the ice, he mostly gets in trouble before a game or doing an interview.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 08:08 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Torts wants a number one center.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

If I see Gaborik killing penalties I'm going to have a heart attack.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 08:21 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Relax dude. He did that a lot in Minnesota.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 08:22 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
He is probably very good at it...not to mention it gives you a shorthanded threat...

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 08:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
On Avery:

Is he going to say the same stuff to Brashear, because im more concerned about this moron doing something stupid...

Honeslty Avery rarley has issues ON the ice, he mostly gets in trouble before a game or doing an interview.
No reason for concern. Brashear's rep is way overblown on this board, I have no idea why. You're definitely more likely to have Avery do something stupid DURING a game than to see Brash do something dumb--and I'm a huge Avery fan, not so much a fan of Brashear.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 08:52 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Why? He was usually on the 3rd PK line with the Wild. He knows how to kill a penalty.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Why? He was usually on the 3rd PK line with the Wild. He knows how to kill a penalty.
Ive got 3 good reasons

1. Injury issues. PK is a bad place for them

2. When we have a lot of pk forwards, why waste the energy of our best scorer? We want him on the ice as much regular strength as possible, think JJ

3. Anyone could pk effectively on the wild, it was all about system, doesn't mean he has any particular skill in it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:17 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
No reason for concern. Brashear's rep is way overblown on this board, I have no idea why. You're definitely more likely to have Avery do something stupid DURING a game than to see Brash do something dumb--and I'm a huge Avery fan, not so much a fan of Brashear.
Well, forgetting about what he did to Betts, Brashear cost Washington a game late in the season 2 years ago that would have cost Washington a spot in the playoffs had Carolina not choked on the last day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=280308001

I'm sure he's done lots of other stupid things that we don't know about because we don't watch him on a regular basis.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:31 PM
eco's bones

Getting Gaborik out late in a pk situation against a tired pwp might be something worth exploiting now and again.

Have to say because of all his past injury problems I was always a bit skeptical about Gaborik but somehow I feel kind of excited he's coming to the team. Hopefully the injuries are past because he is a truly dangerous player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:35 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Nice

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:35 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Well, forgetting about what he did to Betts, Brashear cost Washington a game late in the season 2 years ago that would have cost Washington a spot in the playoffs had Carolina not choked on the last day.

I'm sure he's done lots of other stupid things that we don't know about because we don't watch him on a regular basis.

The game in which Rucinsky gave Brashear the finger was an important game that Brashear helped give away to the Rangers. He's not always shown a lot of discipline.
OTOH he hardly ever loses a fight (all apologies to Belak) and he also agitates and intimidates something that a lot of other fighters don't do. Some of his skills have eroded though he still can skate pretty well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

I watch 3/4 of the Capitals games, I live in DC.

Really, he's an enforcer, he's going to make the occasional questionable play. He's no worse than any other player of his tpye though.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Geddy Lee

I love this...

TORTS' FAVORITE THING ABOUT NEW YORK: "The other day I told my wife that I still can't believe that I'm preparing to run a camp for a team in New York City. I love the people, the building, the pressure of it all. It's the NEW YORK RANGERS; AN ORIGINAL SIX TEAM IN THE WORLD'S BIGGEST VENUE. For me, coaching this team is a privilege!"

That is what this team has missed...

Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
Relax dude. He did that a lot in Minnesota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
He is probably very good at it...not to mention it gives you a shorthanded threat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I don't care how good he is at it. We have enough forwards on this team who can more than adequately handle penalty killing duties.

I don't see the point in having our franchise forward, who also happens to be possibly the biggest injury risk in the league, killing penalties. There's just no purpose to it.

FLY, you really want the glass man blocking blasts from the point?

Old
07-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Ive got 3 good reasons

2. When we have a lot of pk forwards, why waste the energy of our best scorer? We want him on the ice as much regular strength as possible, think JJ

3. Anyone could pk effectively on the wild, it was all about system, doesn't mean he has any particular skill in it.
Basically. Why would we allocate 2-3 minutes a night of PK duty to Gaborik when another forward could do that job just as effectively?

Wouldn't you rather have Gaborik getting as much time as possible in high-scoring game states (5v5 or the PP)?

And for people who say that he "did it a lot with the Wild" actually he really didn't. In 17 GP this season he averaged less than a minute of PK time per 60 minutes on ice. In 07-08 he averaged even less with only .70 PK TOI/60.

As far as "providing a scoring threat" on the PK, he has 6 SHG in 502 GP.

Last edited by Banks3rdLineCenter: 07-31-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old
07-31-2009, 10:08 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
I don't care how good he is at it. We have enough forwards on this team who can more than adequately handle penalty killing duties.

I don't see the point in having our franchise forward, who also happens to be possibly the biggest injury risk in the league, killing penalties. There's just no purpose to it.

FLY, you really want the glass man blocking blasts from the point?
You sound like Eric Lindros. Playing scared = getting hurt.

Throw Gabby out onto the ICE everytime you can. He is the best player on this team besides Hanks.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
You sound like Eric Lindros. Playing scared = getting hurt.

Throw Gabby out onto the ICE everytime you can. He is the best player on this team besides Hanks.
There's a difference between playing scared and playing smart.

Explain the logic to me behind allotting 2-3 minutes of your best offensive player's ice time to a game state that is highly unlikely to produce a goal for?

Old
07-31-2009, 10:22 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:

Explain the logic to me behind allotting 2-3 minutes of your best offensive player's ice time to a game state that is highly unlikely to produce a goal for?
I'm not. I'm on board with him being on the 2nd or 3rd PK Unit. I think he'd get a little more ice time on the PK then 2-3 minutes.

Look at the guys who had the most short handed goals the past four seasons (forwards)

Nash, Richards, Marleau, Carter, Gagne, Alfredsson, Sharp, Vinny L, St.Louis, Hossa, E.Staal, J.Staal....

Gabby gives us a shot at scoring whenever he's on the ice... now I wouldn't use him on a 5V3 situation but 5V4, I would. I believe in his defensive capabilities and offensive instincts to create and score on the PK.

I also wouldn't use him on the PK if we are bowing a team out (4 or more goals)...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Nice piece by Stan. My favorite part:

"The other day I told my wife that I still can't believe that I'm preparing to run a camp for a team in New York City. I love the people, the building, the pressure of it all. It's the NEW YORK RANGERS; AN ORIGINAL SIX TEAM IN THE WORLD'S BIGGEST VENUE. For me, coaching this team is a privilege!"

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I'm not. I'm on board with him being on the 2nd or 3rd PK Unit. I think he'd get a little more ice time on the PK then 2-3 minutes.

Look at the guys who had the most short handed goals the past four seasons (forwards)

Nash, Richards, Marleau, Carter, Gagne, Alfredsson, Sharp, Vinny L, St.Louis, Hossa, E.Staal, J.Staal....

Gabby gives us a shot at scoring whenever he's on the ice... now I wouldn't use him on a 5V3 situation but 5V4, I would. I believe in his defensive capabilities and offensive instincts to create and score on the PK.

I also wouldn't use him on the PK if we are bowing a team out (4 or more goals)...
I see your point. Obviously there are certain situations where he needs to be on the ice no matter what... if we're down by a goal or two late for instance.

Other than that though I just think we have a lot of other guys who can do admirable work on the PK. I'd rather see any or all of Dubi, Drury, Higgins, Callahan, Animisov (if he's here) doing the majority of the dirty work on the PK.

Old
08-01-2009, 12:14 AM
blue2noise

Quote:

Because great players have the puck. That keeps it away from the other team on the PP

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Ive got 3 good reasons

all poorly reasoned points. here's why.

1. injuries and pk have nothing to do with each other. remember, he got hurt playing hacky sack. if you are saying the more he plays, the more likely he gets hurt, well then never play him at all and hell be healthy all year. maybe- see above.

2. 2 of last years "pk forwards" are gone. betts and sjo are on other teams now. we will have a completetly new pk this year and not having gaby on the ice on the pk will be an advantage to the opposition who must respect his speed- unless hes sitting on the bench resting and making sure he doesnt get hurt killing penalties ...... i would hardly call the pk a waste when a guy like gaborik can create offensive chances while killing penalties- something this team has lacked for years.

3. his "particular skill" is his speed and offensive ability. when hes on the ice, hes a threat to score in any situation. and having played for lemaire, hes got a good idea what to do out there and im sure hell cherry pick on occassion but he knows where to be and how to play the top on the pk. when hes out there, you know the dmen are aware, and the second they flub one at the blueline, gaborik can turn that into a goal.

he needs to play and play alot- he says hes healthy and our doctors say hes healthy-if he says he can go, throw him out there. it makes no sense to "protect" gaborik. instead, we should play our best player alot. hes a game breaker, a difference maker and having him play on the pk, especially late on the pk's when the opposing dmen may be fatigued, gives him a chance for some breakaways or 2 on 1's.

his speed is a weapon and his finishing ability along with his speed--- hello mr gomez.... is the reason why he must be on ice in all situations.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote