HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT - Tivo and Center Ice

Old
08-02-2009, 09:31 PM
goatt

vCash: 500
OT - Tivo and Center Ice

I got a series 3 Tivo and Cablevision told me I can't get any pay-per-view or HBO. I said fine, then later realized I get Center Ice every year. I also have an HDTV now and since the games on Center Ice aren't in HD on Cablevision it's not as fun to watch. Anyway, my question is there anyone who has a Tivo (with NO cable box!) who has gotten Center Ice in the past?

Worst case scenario I can watch it on my computer.

goatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:04 PM
robkore

Yes, I had it last year on a Tivo HD or whatever it's called. No cable box, I have a cable card supplied by Comcast in the Tivo itself. A few things:

1. Half the time I was missing a few channels of the Center Ice lineup. They were just scrambled. Comcast couldn't help.

2. Comcast set the pay-per-view setting, so you had to begin watching your recorded game within 30 minutes or so from the faceoff, or it was gone. Not sure if cablevision does the same thing.

3. If you are going to order it, wait until the season starts, as I've learned that they usually offer $20 or so off in the first week of the season.

4. I get HBO fine on my Tivo, but there is no pay-per view or on demand access.

As you're using Cablevision, your results may vary. I'm considering buying the package through nhl.com this year instead of dealing with comcast. I wish I could get MSG here in Texas...

robkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:07 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Why not just get a DVR from Cablevision?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:14 PM
blue2noise

I switched to directv and kept IO and Voice on cablevision. never looked back. Their DVR is the suck and the Tivo is crippled with it

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
goatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Why not just get a DVR from Cablevision?
I'm a big fan of Tivo...if you've used both, you'll probably find Tivo is much easier to use.

Old
08-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Chemmy

goatt: I had Center Ice on Cablevision last year with a Tivo HD.

You need a tuning adapter which CBV will give you for free to access the CI channels. Unfortunately their tuning adapter system is broken on their end and they're not installing them right now.

Wait until closer to the season and then get a tuning adapter from Cablevision and you'll be all set.

Chemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:13 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Are there still not going to be any HD games on Center Ice on Cablevision this year? If so I am probably going to skip the package because the feeds I got last year, for the most part, were downright brutal. This was especially evident on a big HDTV.

What is the policy with HD games on Center Ice with Fios?

Last edited by ReggieDunlop68: 08-21-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: FiOS
ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
McMonster

Is there Center Ice in HD for Verizon FiOS?

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 03:32 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead71 View Post
Is there Center Ice in HD for Verizon FiOS?
I downloaded the general FiOS lineup from the Verizon site and it says they offer NHL Center Ice under PPV/Subscription Sports.

Also, I see that FiOS offers several MSG channels but do they also offer those channels, most importantly the main MSG channel, in HD.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 03:40 PM
goatt

Ironically 2 weeks after I got my tivo it died but tivo said to ship it back for an exchange. It would show the startup screen but go no further. I'm waiting for cablevision to come install my m-stream card as I type. 2-5pm appointment...so they should be here tomorrow.

Old
08-22-2009, 04:04 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
I downloaded the general FiOS lineup from the Verizon site and it says they offer NHL Center Ice under PPV/Subscription Sports.

Also, I see that FiOS offers several MSG channels but do they also offer those channels, most importantly the main MSG channel, in HD.
FIOS DOES NOT offer MSG in HD. This debate can be found in a number of places on the Net. Short story, Dolan and MSG Mgmt do not want to supply a direct broadcast competitor (Verizon) with the best quality feed.

Supposedly FIOS will get the HD feed one day, but I'll believe it when I see it.

About the only downside with Fios actually, the PQ is miles beyond Comcast, both SD and HD.

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Anderson

Off topic, but i just moved out to Pittsburg and I want to be able to watch the Ranger games (instead of watching Crosby fluff for 82 games). Will comcast center ice allow me to catch the majority of Ranger games (at least 70) or do they get blacked out a lot. Also if anyone is willing, how much is the CenterIce package with comcast? Thanks

Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
Off topic, but i just moved out to Pittsburg and I want to be able to watch the Ranger games (instead of watching Crosby fluff for 82 games). Will comcast center ice allow me to catch the majority of Ranger games (at least 70) or do they get blacked out a lot. Also if anyone is willing, how much is the CenterIce package with comcast? Thanks
I live in Pittsburgh as well and have Center Ice. I was able to watch every Ranger game on CI using Comcast with the exception of games where they played the Pens. Those games were broadcast on FSN Pittsburgh, which is actually a really nice HD feed but their announcers are the biggest homers in history (far worse than Chico IMO).

CI also blacks out games that are on Versus, but Comcast has Versus and Versus HD in their regular channel line-up. The one game I couldn't watch was on NHL network which I didn't have at the time.

That being said, I'm seriously considering moving to FIOS. Comcast prices are absurd and they keep getting higher. Their internet is also terrible.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it, or about Pittsburgh in general.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote