HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils - Sharks

Old
08-02-2009, 11:10 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Devils - Sharks

Hey guys, I come in peace...

You guys have alot of rumors concerning Heatley and Kessel and was wondering if someone like Marleau could be dealt if one of the two is acquired. Would something like this be of interest or am I way off...

Zubrus, Corrente/Halischuk + 2nd round pick
Vs
Marleau

We add a 2nd line center in Marleau that can play top 6 minutes, the PP and the PK. You guys would be cutting about 2.5M$ in cap space to acquire someone like Heatley, adding a good prospect and adding a nice pick in the same process.

Yes, no, maybe.... and why.

Thanks

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:14 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Hey guys, I come in peace...

You guys have alot of rumors concerning Heatley and Kessel and was wondering if someone like Marleau could be dealt if one of the two is acquired. Would something like this be of interest or am I way off...

Zubrus, Corrente/Halischuk + 2nd round pick
Vs
Marleau

We add a 2nd line center in Marleau that can play top 6 minutes, the PP and the PK. You guys would be cutting about 2.5M$ in cap space to acquire someone like Heatley, adding a good prospect and adding a nice pick in the same process.

Yes, no, maybe.... and why.

Thanks
I don't think it saves enough money and Zubrus' rep for coasting and not always showing up wouldn't really point to him being the kind of player the team wants to bring in. I'm also not convinced Matt Halischuk's career didn't peak when he scored that WJC goal for Canada.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Zajac or GTFO

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Pinkfloyd

Adding Zubrus is like adding a more expensive Cheechoo. Either find a 3rd team to dump Zubrus onto or don't bother because dumping Marleau should be for someone who's good, someone who's cheap, and someone who's not known to half-ass things.

I'd rather have David Clarkson and a 1st than that package.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Zajac or GTFO
This.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:28 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Zajac or GTFO
Marleau (29 year old UFA with a 6.3M$ cap hit)
Vs
Zajac (24 year old locked for another 4 years at a 3.8M$ cap hit)

=

Sorry I asked guys... thanks anyways

Old
08-02-2009, 11:34 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Such a friendly place to come

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:35 PM
God
Free Citizen

I think Marleau would probably be involved in the Heatley trade anyway.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Marleau (29 year old UFA with a 6.3M$ cap hit)
Vs
Zajac (24 year old locked for another 4 years at a 3.8M$ cap hit)

=

Sorry I asked guys... thanks anyways
Zajac a 20 goal scorer with potential to be a 30 goal scorer. Marleau...a 35 goal scorer with great two-way play. Zajac will be lucky to be as good as Marleau is right now. It's not nearly as facepalm as you believe it is.

But coming in here trying to jack the leading scorer on this team for a salary dump like Zubrus, an average prospect and a late 2nd is just insulting.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:39 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
I think Marleau would probably be involved in the Heatley trade anyway.
If I were Ottawa, i'd rather have Michalek mostly cause he'd still be around after the end of the season as to were Marleau can sign with whom ever he chooses by the end of the year... no ???

Old
08-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
If I were Ottawa, i'd rather have Michalek mostly cause he'd still be around after the end of the season as to were Marleau can sign with whom ever he chooses by the end of the year... no ???
I believe it would be naive to assume that you could convince someone to waive his NTC only to leave the following year. Marleau's not going to screw his next team over by leaving them after one year. He's not that kind of guy.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:50 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Zajac a 20 goal scorer with potential to be a 30 goal scorer. Marleau...a 35 goal scorer with great two-way play. Zajac will be lucky to be as good as Marleau is right now. It's not nearly as facepalm as you believe it is.

But coming in here trying to jack the leading scorer on this team for a salary dump like Zubrus, an average prospect and a late 2nd is just insulting.
If you read my OP, I said that IF San Jose were to acquire someone like Heatley or Kessel, they'd have to shed some salary to make place for the contract(s) coming over via trade bassed on certain rumors that are going around.

You guys can't acquire someone like Heatley or Kessel without moving a BIG contract and by adding a guy like Zubrus, you guys wouldn't be losing a roster player, you would be adding a decent prospect and a ok pick.

Zubrus isn't a PPG or a even a 60 pts player but what he does bring is size and his A-game once the SCP starts. He was by far our most consistent forward in the past couple of playoffs series we've had... by far. He's a excellent 3rd line center/winger that can handle the oppositions best lines game in game out ala Madden. If you try to use him in a top 6 role, you'll be very dissapointed. You guys have Pavelski who can handle the 2nd line center position so adding Zubrus on the 3rd line wouldn't be all that bad IMO.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I believe it would be naive to assume that you could convince someone to waive his NTC only to leave the following year. Marleau's not going to screw his next team over by leaving them after one year. He's not that kind of guy.
I don't want to be a ***** or something but didn't Heatley sign his new deal a year ago and wants out of Ottawa at the moment

Waiving his NTC doesn't necessarily mean that he'll resign with the club he's being traded to... it just means that RW can pitch his name in trade talks, that's all.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Harrison Ford
HFBoards Sponsor

So a package of Clarkson, 1st and maybe someone else would get a deal going?

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:56 PM
sjshark91

Zubrus sucks.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 12:00 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Zubrus sucks.
Like I've said before... if you think he's top 6 material, you are 100% correct. If you think he sucks at checking the oppositions top line while playing 3rd line minutes, then you are dead wrong.

Old
08-03-2009, 12:02 AM
hockeyball

jeezus guys.

Are we Hab's fans here?

Have some common courtesy. We are talking about HOCKEY here, not your mothers. There is no reason to be nasty to people. I like to think we are a better fanbase than that.

If you don't like the trade, point out why respectfully and honestly.

Devils all the way:
Without all the emotions, I agree with most of these guys, it doesn't make sense. If we trade Marleau (which I don't think we will) it will be for young guys still coming into their game, top picks and/or prospects. I don't know enough about the devils to counter, but I do know Zubrus and I think he is exactly what we are trying to get rid of, easy going.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 12:09 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
jeezus guys.

Are we Hab's fans here?

Have some common courtesy. We are talking about HOCKEY here, not your mothers. There is no reason to be nasty to people. I like to think we are a better fanbase than that.

If you don't like the trade, point out why respectfully and honestly.

Devils all the way:
Without all the emotions, I agree with most of these guys, it doesn't make sense. If we trade Marleau (which I don't think we will) it will be for young guys still coming into their game, top picks and/or prospects. I don't know enough about the devils to counter, but I do know Zubrus and I think he is exactly what we are trying to get rid of, easy going.
Thanks for "having my back".

I understand your point if you guys don't acquire a Heatley or a Kessel but when I posted my proposal, I had you guys landing one of the two and I don't think that a GM will offer a young up and comer for a up and coming UFA ??? Would you guys deal someone like Vlasic or Setoguchi Vs a UFA to be... I don't think so.

That's my point, but I do understand yours as well.

Old
08-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
If you read my OP, I said that IF San Jose were to acquire someone like Heatley or Kessel, they'd have to shed some salary to make place for the contract(s) coming over via trade bassed on certain rumors that are going around.

You guys can't acquire someone like Heatley or Kessel without moving a BIG contract and by adding a guy like Zubrus, you guys wouldn't be losing a roster player, you would be adding a decent prospect and a ok pick.

Zubrus isn't a PPG or a even a 60 pts player but what he does bring is size and his A-game once the SCP starts. He was by far our most consistent forward in the past couple of playoffs series we've had... by far. He's a excellent 3rd line center/winger that can handle the oppositions best lines game in game out ala Madden. If you try to use him in a top 6 role, you'll be very dissapointed. You guys have Pavelski who can handle the 2nd line center position so adding Zubrus on the 3rd line wouldn't be all that bad IMO.
2.9 million shaved off is not enough to turn around and acquire Heatley. The Sharks are going to have to shave off something in the region of 5 mil to go along with Heatley's 7.5 in order to ice a roster, get under cap, and create room for call ups. There is simply no way that the Sharks will do the turnover necessary by acquiring Heatley unless they get him severely under value.

You don't do business in this league by saying well we're going to rip this team off so it's okay if we let this other team rip us off for our quality player. You get maximum value for your asset that benefits you completely. The Sharks will not take a 3rd line salary dump that Zubrus is for their player simply to create a minimal amount of space for Heatley.

Quote:
I don't want to be a ***** or something but didn't Heatley sign his new deal a year ago and wants out of Ottawa at the moment

Waiving his NTC doesn't necessarily mean that he'll resign with the club he's being traded to... it just means that RW can pitch his name in trade talks, that's all.
Heatley is not Marleau. Marleau has done nothing to make one believe he is not a team player. He's willing to give up the captaincy if it makes the team better. A guy like that will not be a rental to whoever acquires him. Anyone that does a simple interview with the man knows he is all about the team. If you wouldn't take a gamble on that, you wouldn't gamble on anyone as a one-season rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
So a package of Clarkson, 1st and maybe someone else would get a deal going?
I believe Clarkson, a prospect, and a 1st would be a good deal for the Sharks for Marleau right now. I don't see it happening because Marleau's not going to be asked to waive his NTC but that would be a good starting point on value and cost-cutting.

Quote:
Like I've said before... if you think he's top 6 material, you are 100% correct. If you think he sucks at checking the oppositions top line while playing 3rd line minutes, then you are dead wrong.
You don't pay anyone 3.4 million dollars to play on the 3rd line. If he's not a good top six, which he isn't, then he's a dump. This is no different than Cheechoo.

Old
08-03-2009, 12:22 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
I don't think that a GM will offer a young up and comer for a up and coming UFA
Your right.

The problem is the Shark's don't look at it that way with Marleau. He will stay in SJ if asked, there is really no doubt for us. He'll probably even take a fairly massive paycut to do it too.

I have this conspiracy theory that DW is trying to get Heatley because then he can throw his hands up in the air when negotiationg with Marleau and say "we have no more money! I can only offer you 4.5m". Mostly joking though.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 12:55 AM
vilpertti

Quote:
I understand your point if you guys don't acquire a Heatley or a Kessel but when I posted my proposal, I had you guys landing one of the two and I don't think that a GM will offer a young up and comer for a up and coming UFA ???
Sharks are looking to acquire Heatley or Kessel if it doesn't involve making the team worse in the process. Getting rid of Marleau for what is essentially an overpaid third liner isn't making the team better. Heatley or Kessel won't be coming to the Sharks for free. The team would have to give stuff of value to get one of them, and when we're talking about the Sharks, it's roster players as there's little prospects left.

So, basically the team would be wasting Marleau off the first line LW spot for a third liner and let's say just for the funs, Michalek off the second line to acquire Heatley. The team would then have one less top6 winger, an overpaid third liner and a draft pick.

You might now see how it don't make sense.

vilpertti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Devils and Sharks should never negotiate...It's only a matter of time before one of the two get bitten,burned...or both..

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:17 AM
Le Rosbeef

If Marleau's being moved it should, IMO, only be in alliance with a second trade for a top line winger (Kessel, Heatley, another, who knows?) to replace him AND therefore if a Patty deal brings back quality prospects or something that will enhance our bottom 6, that would work fine.

David Clarkson is, from what I can tell (although I've not seen him in depth) exactly what this hockey club would benefit from and as such I'd have big interest in him. I wonder if the Devils are (A) willing to move him, (B) if so, why? and (C) what he would likely command as an RFA next year?

I've also always coveted Bergfors even though his stock seems to have dropped slightly in recent years.

That said, I'd actually rather see Marleau stay but to me, NJ would be a good destination for him if he left

Le Rosbeef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Rugs by Resch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
If Marleau's being moved it should, IMO, only be in alliance with a second trade for a top line winger (Kessel, Heatley, another, who knows?) to replace him AND therefore if a Patty deal brings back quality prospects or something that will enhance our bottom 6, that would work fine.

David Clarkson is, from what I can tell (although I've not seen him in depth) exactly what this hockey club would benefit from and as such I'd have big interest in him. I wonder if the Devils are (A) willing to move him, (B) if so, why? and (C) what he would likely command as an RFA next year?

I've also always coveted Bergfors even though his stock seems to have dropped slightly in recent years.

That said, I'd actually rather see Marleau stay but to me, NJ would be a good destination for him if he left
David Clarkson would be very valueable trade bait, hes a guy who can lead the league in fights, and score 20-20. We do not want to move him by any means but he is our most tradeable asset as it is right now. Bergfors stock hasnt really fallen he just has not been able to prove anything. New Jersey has been loaded up on the top 6 for a few years and it would not be good for Bergfors to play in bottom 6 minutes. So if you guys have any holes in your top 6 coming up, Bergfors could probably fit in well. Marleau would be a perfect fit for the Devils seeing as our big hole in 2nd line center. IMO it would probably take Clarkson, Bergfors, and a 2nd to get the deal done.
and btw can i haz petrecki? he lives in the same town as me and we have actually become kind of friends so can i have him? bye

Rugs by Resch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:

On the two-way play issue - Zajac got more Selke votes than Marleau last season.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote