HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils - Sharks

Old
08-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Zajac a 20 goal scorer with potential to be a 30 goal scorer. Marleau...a 35 goal scorer with great two-way play. Zajac will be lucky to be as good as Marleau is right now. It's not nearly as facepalm as you believe it is.

But coming in here trying to jack the leading scorer on this team for a salary dump like Zubrus, an average prospect and a late 2nd is just insulting.
If I'm not mistaken, Marleau played wing for the Sharks last season. That's not a good sign. He also basically reached his peak and I believe Zajac will turn out to be as good and maybe better defensively. Plus he's younger and cheaper. I highly doubt Lomoriello would even consider it.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Marleau played wing for the Sharks last season. That's not a good sign.
How is Marleau playing wing not a good sign?
Marleau can play center and wing. On the current Sharks' roster, he is needed as a leftwing, because the Sharks already have two scoring-line centers but only three scoring-wingers, at least as long as Cheechoo isn't producing.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
How is Marleau playing wing not a good sign?
Marleau can play center and wing. On the current Sharks' roster, he is needed as a leftwing, because the Sharks already have two scoring-line centers but only three scoring-wingers, at least as long as Cheechoo isn't producing.
It tells me that the Shark's organization believes he's better suited to play wing than center and the Devils are looking to add a center, not another wing. And come on now, are you really trying to say that there's no difference from center to wing?

You don't take your so-called best two player who's a natural center and move him to wing. You move someone else.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
baydrake
gutless performance

Quote:
You don't take your so-called best two player who's a natural center and move him to wing. You move someone else.
you mean unless one of your other centers would not be very suited to wing? 'cause i'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened (pavelski).

regardless, i don't think NJ wants to part with what it would take to get marleau and everyone seems to think someone with an NTC will waive it then walk in the offseason and that subsequently their team should get patty at a discount.

i'm not a huge fan of the guy but given the current situation i think it's most likely he just plays out this contract and is a shark for all of next season.

baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
It tells me that the Shark's organization believes he's better suited to play wing than center and the Devils are looking to add a center, not another wing. And come on now, are you really trying to say that there's no difference from center to wing?

Why would you move someone else if you have a fully capable crew of centers to fill out the rest of your lines and your system is short on top line wingers? Patty is one of the faster people in the league, has a solid shot and good puck skills. There is no reason NOT to put him on the wing.

Our "other" best two way player in also a winger........Should we move him to center?

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Sanderson

Quote:

No, you move the player who has the best chance of succeeding in that position. Joe Thornton doesn't meet that criteria, neither does Joe Pavelski. Patrick Marleau, on the other hand, can play both extremely well.

Apart from that, no, the center isn't always the best defensive-minded player on the line. Look at Ottawa, one of their top-line forwards is far and away the best defensive forward, and I tell you what, it definately isn't Jason Spezza.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
On the two-way play issue - Zajac got more Selke votes than Marleau last season.
And yet Zajac wasn't a 38 goal scorer. I'm not saying that the Devils would make the deal but to call it a facepalm because Zajac is potentially involved is just beyond overreaction. I mean, Zajac is good but he's not cracking 35 goals anytime soon.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Marleau played wing for the Sharks last season. That's not a good sign. He also basically reached his peak and I believe Zajac will turn out to be as good and maybe better defensively. Plus he's younger and cheaper. I highly doubt Lomoriello would even consider it.
Please don't discuss things you don't have a clue on.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:01 AM
hockeyball

Quote:

You're my hero.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote