HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unreliable site hints Kovalchuk to test free agency

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Unreliable site hints Kovalchuk to test free agency

http://www.hockey30.com/magazine/kov...uipe-gagnante/

Sounds like he's had enough of playing in Atlanta.
Let me be the first to put out a trade offer......

S. Kostitsyn A. kostitsyn D'Agostini O'Byrne and a 1st for Kovalchuk

Didn't add Hamrlik as he would not waive his no trade to play in Atlanta.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
We won't have the cap space to sign him. Therefore, I wouldn't trade for one year of him. It would have been nice to have him in Montreal thought!

Old
08-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Subban76

As long as he does't end up in TO....

Old
08-03-2009, 10:27 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post

Why would they take the Brothers Grimm and our garbage for a super-duper star like Kovalchuk?

Old
08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The article says (without providing anything in the way of actual quotes, names, sources, etc I might add) Kovalchuk is certain to test free agency...so your reaction to trade a bunch of prospects and a pick for a year of him? Ooookay. Why not just wait until he's a UFA and see if we can sign him then at the cost of no assets to us? Of course we won't have the cap space by then but I disgress...

Old
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
JrHockeyFan

He will get a huge pay day. Unfortunately with the numbers involved it can cripple a team leaving no money for the rest of the roster. Kovalchuk just might create an Atlanta anywhere he goes

Old
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post

That package is rumored to land us Frolov,we ain't gonna get Kovalchuk for that

Old
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
I am sorry, but that website is looking like a joke. That Frolov rumor was a complete sham and they only used the 2 MTL radio stations as their sources to make it look credible.

That article is filled with speculations too. There are no sources or anything. Can we please stop quoting stuff from there?

Old
08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That package is rumored to land us Frolov,we ain't gonna get Kovalchuk for that
Yeah and we also wouldn't give up anywhere near that for Frolov. A. Kostitsyn could very well put up Frolov numbers in the near future.

I don't want Kovalchuk. Only guys i would be willing to give the payday that he will get to are Crosby or Ovechkin.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Why would they take the Brothers Grimm and our garbage for a super-duper star like Kovalchuk?
Anything traded for Kovalchuk would be a rental fee only. From that standpoint, we'd be overpaying big time regardless of how bad you believe those players to be

Old
08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Komi View Post
As long as he does't end up in TO....
I think there's a really good chance that he ends up there. They will have the money, and they will need scoring. Not many teams will be able to give him what he'll want...and in a year, I don't think teams will be able to give a Hossa kind of contract.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
SpreeEndaz

He asked Waddell to sign Antropov and he's very cooperative with management, I call BS on this one.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Yeah and we also wouldn't give up anywhere near that for Frolov. A. Kostitsyn could very well put up Frolov numbers in the near future.

I don't want Kovalchuk. Only guys i would be willing to give the payday that he will get to are Crosby or Ovechkin.
Kovalchuk IMO is right after those 2 and Malkin.I would pay big bucks for him but the problem is our cap space,ain't gonna happen

Old
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Anything traded for Kovalchuk would be a rental fee only. From that standpoint, we'd be overpaying big time regardless of how bad you believe those players to be
Yes of course, that makes sense.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyEndaz View Post
He asked Waddell to sign Antropov and he's very cooperative with management, I call BS on this one.
damn you and your logical approach to this thread.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Dark4ng3l

Teams willing to invest ~60+ million on one player next summer won't have the cap space to do it. I don't think that any good team will be in a position where they can sign him. Unless he wants to play for the Islanders or something then I would say Atlanta would probably be his best potential suitor since they will be willing to pay him anything not to leave town.

EDIT

I just looked at the cap numbers for teams next year and I guess the Leafs would have the room and the $$$ for him...

Old
08-03-2009, 10:48 AM
InglewoodJack

I heard from a reliable site (ESPN? I think) that Kovalchuck is asking for the max salary to stay in ATL (11.25mill around) so for a decent contender to sign him, exc pect to pay around 9 mil. STILL WANT

Old
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Kovalchuk IMO is right after those 2 and Malkin.I would pay big bucks for him but the problem is our cap space,ain't gonna happen
Iginla is above Kovalchuk imo. Iggy is so underrated as a goal scorer and also brings much more leadership/grit/heart to the game then Kovy.

Since Kovalchuk entered the league, he has 297 goals(557 points) in 545 games. Iginla has 287 goals(584 points) in 554 games in that same time span.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
I heard from a reliable site (ESPN? I think) that Kovalchuck is asking for the max salary to stay in ATL (11.25mill around) so for a decent contender to sign him, exc pect to pay around 9 mil. STILL WANT
that "rumour" was based on the online musings of the thrashers beat writer who was talking about the max contract and how much it is and how he CANT make more than that.. it then got translated to russian and was rehashed a few times and ended up somehow becoming packaged into that rumour that your referring to...

Old
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
MonacoBlue

Kovy isn't leaving Atlanta. I just don't see him doing it. I called the same thing with the Sedins and Vancouver, Oduya and NJ, and Bouwmeester going West. I didn't think Rick Nash was going anywhere either. Those Toronto people had their heads up their *****. Similarly, everything Kovalchuk has said and done over the past few years shows that he wants to stay in Atlanta. He wants to be the captain, the face of the franchise and the guy who will help bring them out of the darkness. It's possible that Kovy leaves but I'd be surprised. I think he stays in Atlanta but they'll have to pay him fairly to do it.

Of course, this makes him all the more appealing. He's a loyal guy and a true franchise player with game-breaking ability. I would pay him the max and trade Gomez and/or Hamrlik for peanuts if necessary. Kovy is worth it.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Crap! A full year of stupid speculations about Kovalchuk coming to Montreal. The new Hossa phenomenon...

Kovalchuk

Old
08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Marky View Post
Of course, this makes him all the more appealing. He's a loyal guy and a true franchise player with game-breaking ability. I would pay him the max and trade Gomez and/or Hamrlik for peanuts if necessary. Kovy is worth it.
There would be no takers for Gomez on the market.

Think about it, if he was a ufa right now, no team would give him 7.4M dollars per year for 5 years. And signing him as a ufa they wouldn't need to give up any player for him.

So even if you wanted to trade him for just future considerations, or for the rights to a russian who has no intention in coming back to the nhl, there will be no takers because of that contract.

Old
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Crap! A full year of stupid speculations about Kovalchuk coming to Montreal. The new Hossa phenomenon...

Kovalchuk
I hear ya on that one

Old
08-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Erika

Nop, no space on the salary cap...

We already have our superstar right handed shooter that cost 5 millions a year... his name is Brian "Dwarf" Gionta , so no need of one of the best 5 players in the NHL like Ilya Kovalchuk...

Old
08-03-2009, 11:15 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
There would be no takers for Gomez on the market.

Think about it, if he was a ufa right now, no team would give him 7.4M dollars per year for 5 years. And signing him as a ufa they wouldn't need to give up any player for him.

So even if you wanted to trade him for just future considerations, or for the rights to a russian who has no intention in coming back to the nhl, there will be no takers because of that contract.
I would waive him if I have to. Just eat the salary if necessary. The player you're getting in Kovalchuk is worth it. It might look bad, but it's actually not that bad. Many good players have gotten stuffed in the minors since the cap came into existence: Mogilny, Malakhov, McGillis, McLaren, Rathje (or it was LTIR?), Andreychuk, Leclair. They were over the hill, but you get the point. They were players with great reputations, and it was not the most classy thing to do. Sometimes, it's worth it, though. Look at Nylander in Washington. What happened to him won't stop other UFAs from signing there.

Closed Thread