HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Gear Design

Old
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
MrAndersson

vCash: 500
Hockey Gear Design

Fellow hockey players,

Being a recent graduate with a degree in product design and a passion for hockey Iíve decided to make a productive use of my time and combine the two (no job as of yet, recession is a *****).

Essentially I want to solve a problem or improve an element of the game, this could vary from designing new protective gear to enhance mobility and flexibility, more compact equipment that is easier to transport, helmets designed to reduce whiplash etc..

To gain a more objective view I need as much external input as I can get at this stage, so if you guys/girls wish to post comments relating to gripes you have with current equipment, discomforts, ideas for improvements or just to share funny hockey gear-related stories, Iím all ears. My plan is to eventually produce an electronic survey to get some quantifiable data as well as qualitative.

Share away!

MrAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Semper Sens

Elbow pads with snaps instead of velcro on the straps. I hate putting all my stuff on, then pulling on my jersey and yanking all of the straps off. I know it's not much of a change but that would be damn useful.

Maybe you could make uber-small knee pads for playing on the ODR. I don't feel then need to use full size shin pads (actually, I wouldn't feel the need to use what I'm about to describe either, but I know more than a few people who would), but it would good to have knee pads that just cover your knees. Like those pads people use when gardening to cushion their knees, just harder to protect you if you trip up on the ODR.

I think it would be really useful to have those hunting hand-heater adapted to be better-suited for outdoor hockey. My hands are always freezing for the first half hour or so. If they could be made into an adhesive, so they could be stuck to the inside of palms of your glove), that would be awesome.

I don't know if this is possible, but I keep thinking of some weird technology I've seen that I think could be used to make a customizable blade. Like you turn a screw or something and you can change your curve from a big toe curve, to a little toe curve, to a mid curve, etc... This may be from some weird dream though, my friend is in San Francisco right now and he's supposed to buy me a pair of gloves and he hasn't sent pics yet so I've been seeing some bizarre stuff in my sleep the past few days....

Good luck and keep us posted on what you make!

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Lososaurus

What about using D3O in pads?

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

A double thick DURABLE palm in the KNOB HAND. Guys like me who like to shoot a lot wear holes in the palm of the knob hand well before the rest of the glove is worn out.

I cut out a piece of leather and contact cement it on the palm where the knob goes when I shoot as a preventive maintenance which works very well. When that piece wears out I tear it off and glue another.

I have increased the life of my gloves 10 fold this way by doing this before i even ever use them new off the rack.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:02 AM
dick341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
A double thick DURABLE palm in the KNOB HAND. Guys like me who like to shoot a lot wear holes in the palm of the knob hand well before the rest of the glove is worn out.

I cut out a piece of leather and contact cement it on the palm where the knob goes when I shoot as a preventive maintenance which works very well. When that piece wears out I tear it off and glue another.

I have increased the life of my gloves 10 fold this way by doing this before i even ever use them new off the rack.

thats a pretty nifty idea. how big of a piece do you use? just big enough to put over that spot of enough to cover a good chunk of palm? does it mess with your feel for the puck?

dick341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:16 AM
tamtamg

Quote:

problem solved. http://www.tackimac.com/hockey/index.html

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick341 View Post
thats a pretty nifty idea. how big of a piece do you use? just big enough to put over that spot of enough to cover a good chunk of palm? does it mess with your feel for the puck?
If you use a piece too thick it messes with the feel. I just use a soft leather that is pretty thin, it lasts many months where a glove with the the soft palm leather it came with would last me 2 months before getting a hole while the bottom hand still looked like a new glove. Now the top hand can last until hell freezes over or the fingers wear out first before the palm.

To answer your question about how big it is up to you honestly. I cut out a piece that covers what I want it to and then trace it with a marker or pen right on the palm. Spray contact adhesive 3M Super 77 (Any Home Depot or Lowe's) which is very tacky and makes a very solid bond that won't lift from water or sweat. The piece of leather is probably about 2 inches by 3-1/2" (???) it isn't square either, i cut it to what I need for a shape which is whatever you choose it to be. DON'T use sharp corners, round all corners with scissors so it does not lift on the edges where the corners are.

I am still using my gloves I bought about a year ago with NO problems. I alternate two pair but still I play a lot. Twice a week in the summer and more in the winter. I first started doing this as a repair once they got a hole making a new surface of leather but then realized if I did it beforehand they would never get a hole to begin with.

I was tired of buying new gloves because ONE got a hole in the palm and the rest of the glove still looked new. I was buying a pair twice a year or more.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 08-05-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old
08-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtamg View Post
Not sure how that can save your glove??? The trouble is today's gloves are ambidextrous I guess in that lefty or rioghty you buy the same pair as everyone else. They have the leather TOO thin in the palm for the top hand no matter what hand you shoot.

That is what the problem is ... they need to make a pair gloves for a lefty and ones for a righty where the bottom hand has a thin soft leather palm for feel and the knob end has a thicker leather but not too thick where you lose feel.

Besides I looked over their website and they do not have my tape job for a handle.

They do look like great grips if one wants to really torque a good shot though. I have been using Harrow shafts which feature a semi-gloss rubber coating that is very durable that gives me a great grip when I rip shots.

I'm wondering if stick companies should make some sort of ergonomic handle as part of the stick so you do not need any tape or one of these grips to begin with. I would not mind having a stick handle like a form fit grip built right in and molded from the same stick material and perhaps rubber coated.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 08-05-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
madmutter
Oilyness

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not sure how that can save your glove???
It will definitely save your gloves. I got a pair of Easton SE16 gloves last winter and if you have ever seen them, they have a ridiculously soft leather on the palm. Two games and I could already see a wear spot that was going to turn into a hole. Put on a Command Grip, no more wear, been using them for about 7 months. They are grippy without being abrasive.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
madmutter
Oilyness

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm wondering if stick companies should make some sort of ergonomic handle as part of the stick so you do not need any tape or one of these grips to begin with. I would not mind having a stick handle like a form fit grip built right in and molded from the same stick material and perhaps rubber coated.
http://www.oggiegrip.com/
Never used this though. I think it would probably mess with your flex though because you cut your stick short and install it as a plug.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

There was something called "impact gel" on the first episode of Pitchmen (With Billy Mays, on the Discovery Channel.)

Using that stuff in hockey equipment, espeically goalies gloves, chest armor...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Tackleberry

What about making visors that have cheaper replacement pieces. When you get heavy scratches, you just replace that part instead of the whole visor. Also, can you tint the visors in different colors. Some colors are better in varrying light conditions. Make them more scratch/smudge resistant.

Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Chootoi

not really gear per say but someone should look at creating 'soft boards'.

Take a look at auto racing. people were dying left and right in crashes until they developed a second wall with a layer of foam in between to soften the blow. You rarely see racecar drivers seriously injured in those types of crashes anymore.

I'm sure the same principal could be applied to hockey boards in some form. If it saves one kid's neck or life it's worth it.

Another thing that would be great is adjustable or 'add-on' gear for kids. I think of young goalies specifically. For example since kids grow differently, a kid may outgrow his chest protector in a matter of a year or two, yet his skates still fit. If you could say, add a velcro piece to the bottom to cover the belly and maybe have the ability to let the arms out a bit, parents could get a year or two extra out of gear. This could also entice more families on limited incomes to allow their kids to play since we all know that money is a factor when enrolling kids in sports.

Last edited by Chootoi: 08-05-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
What about making visors that have cheaper replacement pieces. When you get heavy scratches, you just replace that part instead of the whole visor. Also, can you tint the visors in different colors. Some colors are better in varrying light conditions. Make them more scratch/smudge resistant.
there's this stuff you can get for laptops and ipods and such called Invisible Shield. You place it over the device and it's scratch proof. I use it on all my little gadgets and it really works. You can take keys to it, drag it along the ground, whatever... it doesn't scratch. It's totally clear. It was originally developed by the military for use on helicopter rotors.

http://www.zagg.com/

anyways, adapting a product like that to visors would be a great idea.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tacki Mac really does save your gloves. The reason is your hand isn't rubbing on it because it "locks" into place. I love it and it's weird playing without it.

Devising a solution for velcro ripping off would be fantastic, but I'm not sure if that's a new gear thing or something the established folks would want to do.

I don't know if they exist or not, but I'd like some workout pants that are padded in the butt/hips so when I head down to the pond to work on skating and fall on my ass, I don't get a huge bruise. Would be popular among pickup players.

Seems like it might be easiest to find an accessory and improve it, like Gorilla laces or Tacki Mac did. Anything else might be cost prohibitive.

Another thing you could do is market something that's already invented, change the formulation, and apply it to hockey. Like a spray-on clear grip (a rubbery clear coat) that adds grip to sticks rather than adding tape. Or a durable piece of ABS plastic with a heavy duty adhesive that goes on the bottom of blades to prevent wear and tear on roller rinks.

You could market a hockey tree, develop something lightweight and stable, produce them in China for a couple bucks each and sell them for $19.99 in stores.

If they don't have a patent, make a cheaper version of the Tape-2-Tape system without the plastic board...it runs $159 plus S/H, I'll bet you could make a weighted rebound band that retails for under $40.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
It will definitely save your gloves. I got a pair of Easton SE16 gloves last winter and if you have ever seen them, they have a ridiculously soft leather on the palm. Two games and I could already see a wear spot that was going to turn into a hole. Put on a Command Grip, no more wear, been using them for about 7 months. They are grippy without being abrasive.
Nice, I might give that a try sometime. I'm pretty used to my tape job which is a cross hatched type twisted tape deal.

I'm always open to new good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
http://www.oggiegrip.com/
Never used this though. I think it would probably mess with your flex though because you cut your stick short and install it as a plug.
I had seen those at the Hockey World website, looked like a good product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

I don't know if they exist or not, but I'd like some workout pants that are padded in the butt/hips so when I head down to the pond to work on skating and fall on my ass, I don't get a huge bruise. Would be popular among pickup players.
You should try out the 5 pad compression short made by Farrell sports. I wear them indoors (men's league), public skating (little kids have a knack of zooming around right in your way while you have your hands in your pockets lol) and outdoor ice wearing them under my windbreaker pants. They cost around $50 give or take and their website actually sells gear if their store locator doesn't direct you to a local sports shop. Also I had the store order mine, they gave me a call when it came in.

You can also wear a protective cup in the cup pocket in the front of you wish. I wear my Itech cup holder shorts over these when I play indoor ice hockey. I'll never play without wearing these Farrel compression shorts ever again.

Also they have two different 5 pad shorts, one has the velcro for your hockey socks on the thighs and one does not. Both have the tailbone pad in the back and the other 4 you can see in the picture.

I am not even joking in the least when I say everyone should wear these if applicable to what you do. They make compression shirts with this padding as well as their regular gear like shoulder pads which I own as well.

Their website has a store locator ... http://www.farrellsports.com/retailers.html but their main page is http://www.farrellsports.com I am going to use their stuff always.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 08-05-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Saved*

Anyone who plays any 'real' sport should take advantage of wearing compression clothing.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:28 PM
MrAndersson

All great stuff, it's interesting to see how the hockey needs differ from country to country. I hadn't given a thought to the idea of shinny as here in the UK it's pretty much non-existent. I've been looking into d3o as it's interesting stuff, it seems if a number of winter sports are adopting it so its probably just a matter of time before it enters the hockey world.

MrAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:40 PM
AIREAYE

- Some helmet liner around the temples that can support glasses

- Making helmets more customizable in terms of size: Many helmets like the RBK's and Bauers have clips and other device that allow you to adjust the depth and length of the helmet, but i haven't seen many that can be width adjusted (from ear-to-ear)

- Reusable clear tape?

- For my grade 8 science fair, i made a skate lace tightener device using gears and axles. My goal for that was to make something that could reduce the strength needed to properly tighten skate laces (and keep it in place). I figured that the younger kids could use this so the parents dont have to always help them and crowd the locker rooms

I know CCM and RBK have those Boa skates that you could just turn the knob and it tightens. Well that has a disadvantage because they aren't portable, mine is.

I had the 'prototype' finished and it didin't work, it just looked like it did (i only had cheap plastic materials to work with, none of that industrial stuff) but i managed to win $100 anyways

- A stick with a triangular profile at the bottom of the shaft (like the S17, but triangular, cuz its the strongest shape)

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:46 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
What about using D3O in pads?

that, and the sides of skates and the rim of your jock

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
sharkticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Elbow pads with snaps instead of velcro on the straps. I hate putting all my stuff on, then pulling on my jersey and yanking all of the straps off. I know it's not much of a change but that would be damn useful.

I would change this with the shoulder pads as well. My jersey is always snagging the velcro on the shoulder and elbow pads.

also make the straps out of something better than elastic, which wears out pretty quickly and becomes brittle.

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post

I would change this with the shoulder pads as well. My jersey is always snagging the velcro on the shoulder and elbow pads.

also make the straps out of something better than elastic, which wears out pretty quickly and becomes brittle.
That's true too. As if no one's ever made knee pads with a belt or something instead of elastic straps, so you don't need to have everyone in the room using tape every game to secure their knee pads. Maybe the clear hockey tape companies hire people to "silence" R&D when it comes to this area?

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A lot of the newer and nicer pads are made of better straps than elastic...my One90's and Vapor XXV's are a stretchy poly blend.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote