HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Financial/Ownership Situation #6

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
according to some tweets, looks like the Dell hedge fund has reached an agreement with JR
That's the 2nd biggest hurdle JR needs to clear prior to the auction date.

Old
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
I posted a longer write up on the BOH. In short most of the time today has been setting the upcoming court schedule, not actually debating any motions. A few items of note like SOF reaching an agreement with JR but mostly uneventful.

Old
08-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Silver Seven

Looks like it was Reinsdorf who came to an Agreement with the Hedge Fund!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1248311/

Old
08-11-2009, 06:20 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Reinsdorf is going to make a fortune on this team, no risk, no money down cash coming from the COG. I envy him, I'm looking forward to this new era.

Old
08-11-2009, 06:23 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Anyone want to give a quick run down of the good news? I am not financially savvy at all...

Old
08-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Reinsdorf is going to make a fortune on this team, no risk, no money down cash coming from the COG. I envy him, I'm looking forward to this new era.
Since we're way jumping the gun now I'm curious. If JR gets these over the top concessions from the CoG and a couple of years from now is making an actual profit from the team or losses are much less, what happens to the surplus tax revenue from the new tax?

I don't really need an answer by the way.

Old
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What the EFF is SOF?

Old
08-11-2009, 07:42 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What the EFF is SOF?
Michael Dell's investment company.

Old
08-11-2009, 07:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
Michael Dell's investment company.
Okay. I wasn't so sure before, but now it's official...I have absolutely know idea what's going on with any of this and have not been following closely, at all.

Old
08-11-2009, 08:01 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Okay. I wasn't so sure before, but now it's official...I have absolutely know idea what's going on with any of this and have not been following closely, at all.
You know those people that keep calling you, asking for Ignacio and their money? Well, the Coyotes have to deal with that too, except they keep asking for seniore Moyes. We have to make the annoying people go away. Our good uncle Reinsdorf is going to wire us some money to get out of this. I think the men who call like him.

Pretty much the final nail in Balsille's coffin. The only thing he was clinging to was the slight preference to his bid with regards to the creditors. Gone now.

Old
08-11-2009, 08:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

This sounds good. Ignacio's collectors can keep calling me, but I'd LOVE it if the ones calling for this "Trent" character would forget about it.

Old
08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
flamesfever

Suggested team to fly commercial next year.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...38101-sun.html

This article says that Don Maloney and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly want the team to fly commercial next year.

Do any pro sports teams still fly commercial?

Old
08-12-2009, 12:58 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...38101-sun.html

This article says that Don Maloney and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly want the team to fly commercial next year.

Do any pro sports teams still fly commercial?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2k2 View Post
Thought I would share this post of mine from the Business board with our fellow Phoenix hockey fans:

Here is a hilarious one.

http://docs.bmcgroup.com/phoenixcoyo...k-9488_600.pdf

Apparently the team, including Don Maloney and the team travel coordinator, has negotiated a deal with US Air (who handles the travel for many sports teams) to get a much lower price for air travel (a "substantial savings"). Maloney is comfortable with them from a team POV and the NHL agrees with the proposed arrangement (it being cheaper).

Mr. Scudder, who is the designated "Point Man" for Moyes as per the agreed arrangement, is insisting that the team continue to use Swift Air. Consequently, a motion has had to be brought to resolve this.

Swift Air billed the team $2,576,401 for charter travel last season.

Judge for yourselves.
Most sports teams fly commercial, simply because companies like US Air or Delta have larger fleets to accomodate and can help to keep costs down. Now for a point of reference it's not comercial like you or I would fly where we have to wait at the terminal and sit next to a person that we don't know or are mixed in with the general public. These are still chartered flights they are just run by commercial companies.

As of the moment the Yotes are using private transportation that just happens to be owned by Moyes. When this all shakes loose it wouldn't be shocking to find out that we were paying through the nose for this when our cost should be lower considering we do have a major hub here in Phoenix.

Last edited by HockeyHillbilly: 08-12-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:27 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
Most sports teams fly commercial, simply because companies like US Air or Delta have larger fleets to accomodate and can help to keep costs down. Now for a point of reference it's not comercial like you or I would fly where we have to wait at the terminal and sit next to a person that we don't know or are mixed in with the general public. These are still chartered flights they are just run by commercial companies.
Exactly. In fact, all of the major sports teams in town I believe fly with US Airways (the America West arm of US Airways, at least). One of the side benefits of this is that there are specially-painted Suns, Diamondbacks, and Cardinals jets in the US Airways fleet (although those aircraft are not the ones the teams charter).

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Coyotes-themed Airbus A320 on the Sky Harbor tarmac?

Old
08-12-2009, 01:29 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post

As of the moment the Yotes are using private transportation that just happens to be owned by Moyes. When this all shakes loose it wouldn't be shocking to find out that we were paying through the nose for this when our cost should be lower considering we do have a major hub here in Phoenix.
For giggles (and because I have so much time sitting in front of my computer working all day) it looks like teams require 60-65 one-way flights each season, and that includes pre-season.

If you you use the $2.576M Swift charged the Yotes for air transportation, that averages about $39,600-$42,933 per flight. Seems pretty high.

Makes sense that a larger, commercial carrier could provide a huge cost savings. It will already have equipment and crew in most cities (unlike Swift); can utilize the team charters to move employees without them taking up commercial seats (a savings to the carrier); and can use the charters to supplement their freight business (preserving space and weight on commercial flights).

Maybe GMDM will now make the case he has an extra $1M per to apply to a contract?

Old
08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Exactly. In fact, all of the major sports teams in town I believe fly with US Airways (the America West arm of US Airways, at least). One of the side benefits of this is that there are specially-painted Suns, Diamondbacks, and Cardinals jets in the US Airways fleet (although those aircraft are not the ones the teams charter).

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Coyotes-themed Airbus A320 on the Sky Harbor tarmac?
And isn't just unbelievable that Moyes never thought to take advantage of that free advertising idea?

Old
08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
And isn't just unbelievable that Moyes never thought to take advantage of that free advertising idea?
He was too busy cooking the books and using the Coyotes as his own personal ATM.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
For giggles (and because I have so much time sitting in front of my computer working all day) it looks like teams require 60-65 one-way flights each season, and that includes pre-season.

If you you use the $2.576M Swift charged the Yotes for air transportation, that averages about $39,600-$42,933 per flight. Seems pretty high.

Makes sense that a larger, commercial carrier could provide a huge cost savings. It will already have equipment and crew in most cities (unlike Swift); can utilize the team charters to move employees without them taking up commercial seats (a savings to the carrier); and can use the charters to supplement their freight business (preserving space and weight on commercial flights).

Maybe GMDM will now make the case he has an extra $1M per to apply to a contract?
I would guess there's some sort of at least limited commercial sponsorship also. e.g. "the official airline of the Phoenix Coyotes"

Old
08-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 790
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
no, not really

Old
08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I would guess there's some sort of at least limited commercial sponsorship also. e.g. "the official airline of the Phoenix Coyotes"
Sky is the limit when it comes to cross-promotional opportunities for both the team and the airlines, especially if Reinsdorf buys the team. Maybe US Air can think of a few partnering ideas for the Chicago market, with some doors opened by Reinsdorf? Win-win for both.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:06 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Right, their not flying coach here right? Do we know that for a fact?

For some odd reason the Cardinals fly Northwest, I remember that during the recent playoffs the debarked a Northwest charter plane.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:36 PM
RR

Quote:

For some odd reason the Cardinals fly Northwest, I remember that during the recent playoffs the debarked a Northwest charter plane.
I guess they could when possible -- outbound flights from PHX -- but I highly doubt it. I think too many things can go wrong with scheduling and flight delays. And it seems if you're flying a group that large with that much equipment a dedicated flight and crew makes far more sense, not just for the team but also for the carrier. The carrier can move a lot of freight on those charter flights as well as crew members.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
RR

Quote:

Knowing the Bidwells, they probably book on Priceline.

Old
08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
That's the 2nd biggest hurdle JR needs to clear prior to the auction date.
Actually a bigger hurdle than COG. Secured creditors are first in line. Now both, MDS & NHL support Reinsdorf's bid.

Old
08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Actually a bigger hurdle than COG. Secured creditors are first in line. Now both, MDS & NHL support Reinsdorf's bid.
Yep. Checked with a lawyer I used to work for who handled corporate bankruptcies and he agreed that this is more or less over unless there is some radical ruling by Baum on Jerry R's qualification. The main hurdle for Jerry's bid all along has been satisfying the creditors, and in the eyes of the court there was no way they could justify awarding JR the team over Balsille, at the time, because Balsille's was all cash and the creditors were more warm towards it. Obviously there have been some concessions made on JR's part, and the creditors are on board. For a major creditor to come out and say "we approve of this bid" when there is a full cash bid on the table is surprising, and gives more weight to JR's bid then at first glance.

Normally unsecured creditors are a wish-washy matter in US bankruptcy court (you win some, you lose some) but given the fact that the creditor in this case would be a U.S. city entitled to hundreds of millions, that is given significant weight. Also important is the issue of legal precedent. Judge Baum would have to punt, or rule and face scrutiny by a higher court, drawing out this process for years. Though we'd all love to see things settled to the full extent of the law, 24/7, some things are just not worth the time. There is a similar case (American Needle vs NFL) that is more or less along the same lines as far as precedents go, so the NHL case wouldn't even have priority.

For the most part this is over. About the only thing still keeping JB in this game is the lease wild card. If JR can come to an agreement, and the council can stomach it, it's over. Coyote fans should be elated. I know I am. Throughout this we've had to temper our excitement but I can honestly say the light at the end of the tunnel is coming up fast, and it looks awfully bright. I fully expect Moyes to face personal backlash over all of this. One, there's that 30 million guaranty he has. There's also the matter of cooking the Coyote books and while all of that is under seal, for now, it will come out sooner or later. He will get his, soon enough.

I have to give much love out to Bettman and Daly for seeing this through. Though they may not be fighting for all the right reasons, fight furiously they did indeed. They've played a great hand, too, and never really messed about with small, irrelevant points in the case. Gary should be given a hero's welcome, here in Phoenix. Certainly has changed my opinion of the man.

Closed Thread