HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mental conditioning for hockey

Old
08-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Mental conditioning for hockey

I saw a good book a while ago that had to do with mental conditioning for hockey.

It is not Saul L. Miller's book with Mario Lemieux on the cover.

This one had to due with pre-game meals, focus, envisioning your play...etc.

Anyone know it?

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Hockeyfan68

I've seen the book before but have never read it. Hockey being an escape from stresses of regular everyday life is enough for me to focus and have fun.

For an hour or two at least twice a week nothing is on my mind when I play hockey.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
EmptyNetter

Maybe it's one of the books from Human Kinetics? Here's the result of a search for hockey books:

http://www.humankinetics.com/hksearc...&letter=hockey

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Maybe it's one of the books from Human Kinetics? Here's the result of a search for hockey books:

http://www.humankinetics.com/hksearc...&letter=hockey
I searched your results and found the one I was speaking of. Someone in here posted it a while back and swore by it. it has mario on the cover.

http://www.humankinetics.com/product...s/hockey-tough

The book is called Hockey Tough. The people who discussed it in here swore by it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:31 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I searched your results and found the one I was speaking of. Someone in here posted it a while back and swore by it. it has mario on the cover.

http://www.humankinetics.com/product...s/hockey-tough

The book is called Hockey Tough. The people who discussed it in here swore by it.
I've seen that book and read excerpts from it but the OP specificaly said it isn't the one with Mario on the cover.

Human Kinetics is a great publisher, though (and I have no connection to the company). They seem to have cornered the market on sports physiology. From Laura Stamm's Power Skating to the Complete Conditioning for Hockey book I just picked up, they've got books for goalies, for scoring, for eating right and thinking right. Really great stuff.

There's a book I've seen in the local Barnes & Noble. I can't remember the name but it's all insights into hockey coaching from guys like Marc Crawford, Pat Quinn, Jacques Demers. Really good book because it talks about developing players and getting teams to play together as a unit. Not sure if it's what the OP had in mind but I'll see if I can find it online.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I

There's a book I've seen in the local Barnes & Noble. I can't remember the name but it's all insights into hockey coaching from guys like Marc Crawford, Pat Quinn, Jacques Demers. Really good book because it talks about developing players and getting teams to play together as a unit. Not sure if it's what the OP had in mind but I'll see if I can find it online.
Co authored by Ryan Walter IIRC

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote