HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Zherdev

Old
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Zherdev's best fit would be in Washington where there is a critical mass of Russian talent.
Brilliant! He would fit well there. I can also see him in Atlanta, but most likely the KHL.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
I dug up the old Tyutin for Z thread on the trade board:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=531459

Enjoy!
Must fight urge for thread necromancy...

Seriously though I liked the trade then, and like it more now. Hell talked about how excited I was about Tyutin to my wife that she bought me an authentic jersey for our anniversary (she's so thoughtful)

It is funny though the trades that everybody thinks are lopsided seem to always end up the other way.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I don't understand how/why the Zherdev to Toronto rumors are so rampant. I really don't see Burke being interested. He didn't want Antropov, why would he want Zherdev?

I don't think Burke is as biased against Europeans as some would suggest and certainly not to Cherry-esque proportions. But I also don't see Zherdev as the type of European player Burke would have any interest in--i.e. guys like Modin and Pahlsson (which reminds me, of Burke's mancrush for Modin a couple years back and makes me wonder if a trade for Kaberle centered around Modin, Stefan Legein and a pick would be of interst to Burkie).

Zherdev's best fit would be in Washington where there is a critical mass of Russian talent. Or, if they could move Heatley, perhaps in Ottawa where he might fit well with Kovalev. Toronto would be a bad match, undoing the changes Burke has been trying to make in their style of play, and ultimately being a bad fit for Zherdev, particularly once Burke decides to get rid of Ponikarovsky.

The Rangers are idiots in all of this though, make no mistake. They spend the kind of money they did on Gaborik and Hemsky and then walk away from $3.9 million for Zherdev. Not sure they come out ahead considering they also shipped out Gomez. Beyond that, the Rags didn't do Zherdev any favors by taking him off a line that was working with Voros and Dubinsky and then playing musical lines most of the rest of the year with him.

I hope Zherdev finally finds somewhere that he can put it all together. Preferably not in the Central Division.
I don't know whether that is true. He did offer Antropov a contract extension, (which was turned down) Antropov was an up-coming UFA and it sure looked like he was going to test the UFA market. (which he eventually did) I think it is a very wise move to at least get something for him.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Getting around to re-reading more of that Z trade thread. Kudos to a few Preds fans who were among the first to jump to CBJ's defense and ultimately had pretty accurate takes on how everything eventually went down.

edit: not surprisingly, the financial aspects of the deal went unnoted by many.

Last edited by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe: 08-04-2009 at 06:43 PM.
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:53 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
An evil Idea has us resigning Zherdev and putting him on the fourth line with Filatov and Williams. Not exactly a classic fourth line, but they would prove interesting.

On the other hand, do I want them mixing? Not really.
We have enough people questioning Filatov's work ethic based on an alleged facial expression. The last thing we need is to bring back Z and have them spotted at the Starbucks next to the Arena hanging out. It would be the end of the world.

Beyond that, that would be an awfully expensive fourth line. We may end up with enough money on that line of one of Torres or Modin drops there. No more wingers. I wouldn't be opposed to us acquiring a center though. I'm a bit concerned about that position if, god forbid, one of Vermette, Brassard or Pahlsson goes down for any significant amount of time.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I don't know whether that is true. He did offer Antropov a contract extension, (which was turned down) Antropov was an up-coming UFA and it sure looked like he was going to test the UFA market. (which he eventually did) I think it is a very wise move to at least get something for him.
For what sort of $$ and term?

Again, as someone who is a fan of Burke, I just don't see Zherdev as his type of move.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Rangers walk away from Zherdev award.

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=463418

How are you guys liking that deal now?
Liked it then and like it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I'm sure everyone will be jumping around high fiving, and that's fine.
It sure looks like a win.
I think the ultimate win would be to sign him back.
:facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The only reason I am remotely happy is that we ended up with Tyutin. There's no reason to high five what is ultimately is another high round draft pick no longer on the team.
No kidding. This is ultimately the real failure. Maclean got mezmorized (much like many HF'ers) by his skill and failed to piece together what role he might play in a team so we got him instead of Kopitar, Getzlaf, Richards, Carter, Parise, Brent Burns, Vanek....etc

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:21 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
No kidding. This is ultimately the real failure. Maclean got mezmorized (much like many HF'ers) by his skill and failed to piece together what role he might play in a team so we got him instead of Kopitar, Getzlaf, Richards, Carter, Parise, Brent Burns, Vanek....etc
The fault for that lies as much with our former GM as it does with Zherdev. He drafted Zherdev for his skillset, and then failed to put together a line that properly used that skillset. Then in desparation he hamstrung the team by trading for Fedorov.

Which goes to show you that the conventional wisdom of taking the best available player in the draft when you pick isn't always the best way to go. At some point simple considerations like "what type of style of play do I want to employ" should factor in. Instead, year after year, Doug tended to pick the shiniest bobble. Maybe some of these guys actually would have worked out with a better coaching staff, longer development time or complimentary personnel, but we'll never know. Instead Nikolai Zherdev will always be considered an "enigma" because of what happened in Columbus during his developmental years and Gilbert Brule is destined to be the next Brian Lawton.

Old
08-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Kopitar was in 2005 when we took Brule, not in 2003 when everyone but us and the Rangers seemed to have gotten a franchise player.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Kopitar was in 2005 when we took Brule, not in 2003 when everyone but us and the Rangers seemed to have gotten a franchise player.
Thomas Vanek was taken right after Z, we could've had 2 of the elite goal scorers in the league right now. But on the other hand, we wouldn't be able to pay Vanek.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Thomas Vanek was taken right after Z, we could've had 2 of the elite goal scorers in the league right now. But on the other hand, we wouldn't be able to pay Vanek.
Columbus would still be cashing in 1st round picks, though.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Jimayo

Quote:
Michalek, Suter, Coburn, Brown, Nilsson, Bernier, Fehr, Stuart, Pouliot, Stewart, Tambellini, Eaves, and Belle as well. Definately not franchise players(although the first two may be some day). It was a hell of a draft year though, and Z is not exactly a terrible player.

Jimayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:21 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
You are right, my bad. That was Maclean's other idiotic choice.

Old
08-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Speaking of Kopitar...I'm about an hour away from his hometown right now. Any time I mention hockey to anybody here, they're all right away saying "Hey we have a hockey player, perhaps you've heard of him ANZE KOPITAR???" To which I respond..."Yes...yes I have... Consarnit!" Man, could you imagine if we had picked him? RARR...

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
You are right, my bad. That was Maclean's other idiotic choice.
"Other" is a poor choice of words as it implies that the set contains only 2 items.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:02 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
"Other" is a poor choice of words as it implies that the set contains only 2 items.
Once again...my bad...I am having a 'tough go' in this thread

Old
08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Speaking of Kopitar...I'm about an hour away from his hometown right now. Any time I mention hockey to anybody here, they're all right away saying "Hey we have a hockey player, perhaps you've heard of him ANZE KOPITAR???" To which I respond..."Yes...yes I have... Consarnit!" Man, could you imagine if we had picked him? RARR...
Problem is if we still had Kopitar we may still have MacLean.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Problem is if we still had Kopitar we may still have MacLean.
True, and we might not have any of our other picks since then either... but still, I don't think LA is in such a bad position right now, so we might have been alright. Except, as you mention...we'd still have MacLean

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:06 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Kopitar isn't the difference between Doug having a job and not

He was universally fired for a reason -- Organizational cancer

With that said... regarding the Zherdev trade:

Delicious

Big 'ol **** Off to the Mains for their trashing of the deal.

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
In Howson I Trust > In Hitch I Trust.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I still like the #1 pick of Zherdev.
Back then, he looked like we feel now about Nikita Filatov.

Part of the problem is that these guys are basically still KIDS when they are scouted and run up the Draft Board.

Z had crazy skills and big potential -so we took a chance. Anybody on this board that says they weren't excited about us drafting him is either a liar, or wasn't a Jackets fan back then.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:10 PM
BluejacketNut

Amazing to see also that the Russian national team still wants NOTHING to do with Z. They scrolled the list of the invites for the Olympic team, and yet again, no invite for Z.

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I still like the #1 pick of Zherdev.
Back then, he looked like we feel now about Nikita Filatov.

Part of the problem is that these guys are basically still KIDS when they are scouted and run up the Draft Board.

Z had crazy skills and big potential -so we took a chance. Anybody on this board that says they weren't excited about us drafting him is either a liar, or wasn't a Jackets fan back then.
Watching Z go coast to coast being every Blackhawk on the ice is the whole reason why I loved Z

It's the commitment that hurts him. If he were a gamer and had the heart of a true NHLer... he'd be a superstar.

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:02 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Amazing to see also that the Russian national team still wants NOTHING to do with Z. They scrolled the list of the invites for the Olympic team, and yet again, no invite for Z.
Maybe because he had a run-in with the Red Army prior to joining the Jackets and is Ukranian

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:16 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock View Post
Watching Z go coast to coast being every Blackhawk on the ice is the whole reason why I loved Z

It's the commitment that hurts him. If he were a gamer and had the heart of a true NHLer... he'd be a superstar.
I hated him for the same reason. Man, I'm glad we don't have to see him eight (or six) games a season anymore.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote