HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

#1 - Most Valuable Hurricane

View Poll Results: Round #1:
Eric Staal 18 33.96%
Tuomo Ruutu 1 1.89%
Erik Cole 0 0%
Matt Cullen 1 1.89%
Ray Whitney 1 1.89%
Chad LaRose 2 3.77%
Rod Brind'Amour 0 0%
Jussi Jokinen 3 5.66%
Sergei Samsonov 0 0%
Scott Walker 0 0%
Joni Pitkanen 0 0%
Tim Gleason 0 0%
Joe Corvo 0 0%
Aaron Ward 0 0%
Cam Ward 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
#1 - Most Valuable Hurricane

I saw this on another team board and figured it would be a fun thing to do here. It should spark some conversation and plenty of opinions. Seeing as in a Poll there can only be 15 options, I'll start with the most obvious 15 choices and go from there as we move along.

I'll let the poll remain open for 3 days, if it is too short or too long of a period, we can adjust. It would be nice if you're going to vote, give a reason or two why you chose who you did. We'll try to get a little life into what is a quiet time of year.

Discuss.

I'll keep the rankings updated at the beginning of each pole.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-06-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
GIN ANTONIC

vCash: 500
Well it's either Cam or Eric the Great. Need to think about this one for a bit.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Scorvo

Wow, this could get chippy. I went with Staal. Guy is face of the Hurricanes around the league and that is very important, but it was mega hard to go against Cam.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Staal and Cam are easily one and two... after that: let the great debate begin

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:48 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Cam is my favorite player, and you build from the goal out. Plus I think Ward has a chance to be one of the best (if not the best) at his position...I don't think Staal will ever be in Hart/Ross/Richard talk with the Crosbys and the Ovechkins of the league still around.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I don't think Staal will ever be in Hart/Ross/Richard talk with the Crosbys and the Ovechkins of the league still around.
And with overpaid and overrated players like Ruutu on his wing.

Right now #1 is Staal but if Ward plays on same level next season, he will be true #1.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:21 AM
GIN ANTONIC

I went with Cam. Half on what he's proven and half on what I think he will prove this year and years to come. He's one of the top goalies in the league and is capable of reaching the top. I love Staal but if I had to choose one to start a team with, I have to go with Cam.

And dmonk. Jussi? Really? Come on man.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Gotta go with Cam. He's the only one who can really take a game away for us when he's on. Staal is great too, but Cam edges him out.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
RaisingCanes

Have to go with Cam. In my mind it's more vital to the teams chances that Cam stops goals than it is Staal score them.

RaisingCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Cam Ward. When he's on his game, the Canes win. Plain and simple.

Of all the injuries that led to the way the playoffs ended this past season, the biggest by far was Ward. Put a healthy Ward in net against the Pens and things would have been different. You wouldn't have seen all the soft goals he gave up in that series. While the Canes may still have lost, it would have been a lot closer.

I agree with the others here, though. Staal is easily #2, and then there's a gap. Probably a grouping of Ruutu and Whitney, maybe LaRose? Gleason? Mostly those for bringing it every night. Really tough to rank them after the first two. Would be nice to be able to pencil in Brind'Amour at #3, but we'll have to see how things go for him this season. Also would be nice to see a D step up clearly into the mix, as well.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I voted for Cam. IMO a team's most valuable player is always the goalie, always. Teams can win without scoring many goals but no team wins consistently with poor goaltending.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Canes4me

Goes against my nature to follow the crowd, but had to go with Cam. Staal is the face of the Canes, as well as he should be, but I think the team goes the way of how Cam performs on those nights he doesn't get much help. He just seems like an old soul back there, years ahead of his age.

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
rgmarsh

If Ward keeps elevating his game then it would be hard to go against Cam, but so far there's no question in my mind it's Staal. Just looking at last season where Cam arguably gets the nod in being a better player (at least in the playoffs) I still stay it's Staal. People are right, he's not on Crosby's level but there's nothing anybody can tell me that would convince me that Staal is an overreated player. Nothing. I don't buy the sentiment that he lazes through games more than the average player, nor do I think he's going to top out at the 75-80 point range. But regardless, talk about right now; take him out of the lineup and replace with an above average center with his linemates and you get an offense that's painful to watch. by painful I mean non-existent. you replace Cam with an above average goaltender and we're still left with a team that, while maybe not in the playoffs, is at least sniffing them. Without Staal, you think we make the playoffs? No chance.

Disclaimer: in NO way is this a rant about Cam Ward. It's not. In a way it's an unfair comparison and I do believe that Cam is about to absolutely take off and not look back, in which case you take the elite goalie. But on this team, these past few years, the question is most valuable...not best. In my eyes, it's Staal.

rgmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Yeah, I voted Jussi before reading the entire list. Ward would be my vote

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
jbk ltd
twitter @jbk_ltd

Hard choice, but I gave a slight edge to Cam over Staaly. They both have a great ability to crank it into another gear as the stakes get higher, but Cam's performance during the stretch run and into the playoffs just blew me away as a spectator.

Hard to pick against either one though, and I'll pick Staal next at Number 2.

I'm glad you started this poll. Number 3 is going to be a fun discussion.

jbk ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Old Uncle

Cam is the foundation piece of this team. Without him, the defence looks worse, the PK is average, the offence doesn't dominate enough to overcome a mediocre goalie. The team plays better when he's on. No contest.

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

goaltending is the key.
regardless of how hot any other player can get, goaltending is always the driver.
thankfully, we have one of the best, hopefully for years to come.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I flipped my biased coin today, and it landed on Staal.

There is definitely no wrong answer to this one. I believe this is the single most underrated aspect of this team. We possess two, top flight, cornerstone, franchise players for years to come. Very, very, very few teams have that luxury. No uppercut intended to the location of the team, but if the tandem of Eric Staal & Cam Ward were in Calgary or New York for an example, I really feel they'd be looked at as true superstars across the league and one of the elite 1-2 tandems a team could possess.

I find myself asking this question. How would this team survive in February if they were sitting 6-7th in the Conference and Eric Staal were to go down with a season ending injury? And how would this team survive in February if they were sitting 6-7th in the Conference and Cam Ward were to go down with a season ending injury? Tough question, and I hope we never have to find out the hard way.

You honestly mise well flip a coin for this one. It's really a topic where you can pull a lot of straws to make an argument, but you could just as easily make the argument for the other side. It can go both ways just as easy in my opinion. Does Carolina make a successful run such as they did this past season without Staal? I doubt it. Does Carolina make a successful run such as they did this past season without Ward? I doubt it. Does Carolina make it out of rounds 1 or 2 without Staal? Not very likely. Does Carolina make it out of rounds 1 of 2 without Ward? Not very likely.

To me, they're equally valuable for what they bring to this franchise. I could have added an 'equal' choice for this poll and it would have likely taken the cake.

After about poll number 3, these threads will get interesting.

Old
08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I just realized I completely misinterpreted the intent of this topic. Thought it was the most valuable Cane in round 1 of last year's playoffs.

Yeah....

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I just realized I completely misinterpreted the intent of this topic. Thought it was the most valuable Cane in round 1 of last year's playoffs.

Yeah....

I could see how that was confusing. Maybe that is why Staal is losing out in this pole.

Fixed.

Old
08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post

And dmonk. Jussi? Really? Come on man.
I misunderstood the thread title.

I thought it was about MVP in the 1st round playoff series against NJ.

Don't ask me why i thought it that way. I've been having a lot of Sarah Palin moments lately.

EDIT: I see i wasn't alone.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:59 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
I misunderstood the thread title.

I thought it was about MVP in the 1st round playoff series against NJ.

Don't ask me why i thought it that way. I've been having a lot of Sarah Palin moments lately.

EDIT: I see i wasn't alone.
Well, I guess it was an honest mistake. I don't really see how you guys interpreted it that way as there is absolutely no mention of round 1 or the playoffs for the matter in the OP. I just thought you guys were trying to skew the vote and make it a Rory Fitzpatrick type situation. No harm no foul. But you guys should say who your real vote is for then. I think Cam would still be winning but it might be closer.

Old
08-04-2009, 03:26 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
I'd go with Staal.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
I went with Cam. I know he can be average on occasion, but lets be honest, he is top 5-6 in the league. I know there are at least 15 guys in the league I would take over Staal, even though I love him.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
caniac247

Went with Staal.

He's the face of the franchise. And as Staal goes the team goes.

Cam is a mere inch behind Staal, but had to go with the face.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote