HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers let Zherdev walk

Old
08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Ruski

vCash: 500
The international community is this city might also help.

Zherdev is from Kiev, Ukraine and there is a TON of immigrants here from Ukraine and other former Soviet Republics.

In my mind, i would rather us spend up to the cap now, than sit with 4+ mil of room until the deadline and hope that we can strike some miracle deal.

MLSE are the only ones that benefit from the Leafs operating under the cap....us fans wont pay less for tickets or get a partial refund, so lets get on with it and spend it.

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
RhyZa

This might prove where Burke really stands on this whole NA style thing. To get Zherdev and keep White would be quite tempting, and a great consolation to Kessel. I don't see why people are opposed to this.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stajan Fan View Post
Gustavsson - he's a freakin' goalie, who cares where he's from.
Grabovski - lol resigning an RFA doesn't count as him signing a European, it's controlling your assets
Wallin - he plays such a NA game, he might as well be North American

Let's real, we won't sign Zherdev because HIS STYLE OF PLAY is too European for Mr. Burke.
more European than Selanne or Sedins?

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyZa View Post
This might prove where Burke really stands on this whole NA style thing. To get Zherdev and keep White would be quite tempting, and a great consolation to Kessel. I don't see why people are opposed to this.
Because they think Burke refuses to sign any and all Europeans. Burke himself has said that if you fit into a role on the team, he doesn't care where you're from.

And is it just me or was there a rumor of TRADING for this guy literally 3 hours ago?

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Sedin twins are not very European. they play a NA cycle game.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Stajan Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Are you serious? Have you ever seen Zherdev play? Please go watch some tape on Zherdev, then go watch the Sedins and Selanne tape. And not just a highlight package on youtube.

If you don't think Zherdev plays the prototypical European style game (speed and skill without any grit), you need to check what game your watching pal.

Stajan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
Because they think Burke refuses to sign any and all Europeans. Burke himself has said that if you fit into a role on the team, he doesn't care where you're from.

And is it just me or was there a rumor of TRADING for this guy literally 3 hours ago?

Yes,and that's all it was.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
TheKiller93

Quote:
Grabovski - lol resigning an RFA doesn't count as him signing a European, it's controlling your assets

Let's real, we won't sign Zherdev because HIS STYLE OF PLAY is too European for Mr. Burke.
I agree with the NA Style of play comment. I just disagree with the notion that Burke won't sign someone based on where he comes from. Burke won't touch Zherdev with a 100 ft. pole, but it has nothing to do with where he comes from, and everything to do with his style of play.

TheKiller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
Sedin twins are not very European. they play a NA cycle game.
Zherdev can be a pest at times, and he has fought in the past. He isn't as European as you may think.

Zherdev plays okay defencivly, and would fill in many needs.

Most importantly:
Shootout and Powerplay.

Zherdev wasn't great in the playoffs, but if it wasn't for him, I firmly beleive the rangers wouldn't have made the playoffs in the first place.

Zherdev's "Attitude" is nothing that Ron Wilson can't handle.

I hope Burke can somehow sign him.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelBure96109 View Post
[/B]

Yes,and that's all it was.
Of course it was. Brian Burke isn't going to trade for a player he can have for free 3 hours later.

But it came from somewhere.

Old
leafspring*

Quote:

Whats your point?

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Canad93

Poni/Kulemin-Grabovsky-Zherdev

That could be magical.
I think Zherdev and Grabovsky would be the perfect fit.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
RhyZa

I'm not even sure I even agree with the style of play thing if I'm a GM. I'd recognize that there's a give and take, and a tradeoff for specific roles on the team. Not everyone can be gritty or a bruiser. Just like not everyone can be skillful and a natural offensively gifted player. Worst case scenario, it's attaining another asset for a future trade for the type of player you do want.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Ruski

so what if he plays soft? You think Kadri can play physical in the NHL and NOT get injured/pummeled?

People totally twist Burke's words around. He said that the team as a WHOLE has to be tough, physical, etc. But when he sat down for an interview with TSN (3 minutes after drafting Kadri)...he said that OTHER players can fill-in the physical, tough-guy role, while Kadri should focus on his speed/skill assets.

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Make it happen. How about an all russian speaking top 6. It would be so awesome, just think about all the Don Cherry rants..

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Zherdev can be a pest at times, and he has fought in the past. He isn't as European as you may think.

Zherdev plays okay defencivly, and would fill in many needs.

Most importantly:
Shootout and Powerplay.

Zherdev wasn't great in the playoffs, but if it wasn't for him, I firmly beleive the rangers wouldn't have made the playoffs in the first place.

Zherdev's "Attitude" is nothing that Ron Wilson can't handle.

I hope Burke can somehow sign him.
I think you quoted the wrong post. I was talking about the Sedin twins. I never once said Zherdev was or wasn't "European"

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:

Personally I would have preferred a trade, i.e. Stempnuik (and his 2.5 million contract) for Zherdev on a 1 year 3.9 million contract than having to commit to a longer term as a UFA.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Personally I would have preferred a trade, i.e. Stempnuik (and his 2.5 million contract) for Zherdev on a 1 year 3.9 million contract than having to commit to a longer term as a UFA.
Same here ND.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Stajan Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiller93 View Post
I agree with the NA Style of play comment. I just disagree with the notion that Burke won't sign someone based on where he comes from. Burke won't touch Zherdev with a 100 ft. pole, but it has nothing to do with where he comes from, and everything to do with his style of play.
No I would agree with you that it has to do with style of play, I should of edited my first comment.

Here's the Ducks 2007 Cup Winning Roster:

2007 ANAHEIM DUCKS: Ilya Bryzgalov, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Richard Jackman, Sean O'Donnell, Francois Beauchemin, Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer, Joe DiPenta, Aaron Rome, Kent Huskins, Shane Hnidy, Todd Bertuzzi, Teemu Selanne, Corey Perry, Chris Kunitz, Ryan Getzlaf, George Parros, Dustin Penner, Drew Miller, Andy McDonald, Todd Marchant, Brad May, Samuel Pahlsson, Travis Moen, Rob Niedermayer, Ryan Carter

Bryzgalov, Selanne, and Pahlsson are the only three Europeans on the team. Bryzgalov is a goalie, Pahlsson plays a NA style of game, and Selanne was the best forward on the team. I know it doesn't matter where the players are from, but it is hard to argue with this, 3 Europeans on Burke's Cup winning roster. And there is definitely no Nikolai Zherdev style of player on this team, that's for sure.

Stajan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TopProspect91

It's on TSN now...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286726

TopProspect91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Are you serious? Have you ever seen Zherdev play? Please go watch some tape on Zherdev, then go watch the Sedins and Selanne tape. And not just a highlight package on youtube.

If you don't think Zherdev plays the prototypical European style game (speed and skill without any grit), you need to check what game your watching pal.
OK, you can't say he doesn't sign Euros and then rationalize when we name Euros he signed/ drafted. Just say he is not tough or gritty enough for this team. Jeez.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I think you quoted the wrong post. I was talking about the Sedin twins. I never once said Zherdev was or wasn't "European"
My bad I was refering to everyone really.

Plus, there is no denying that Zherdev plays with Emotion. I love how he celebrates his goals. There is a down side on this however, and thats when he's in a slump, he'll show that as well.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I can understand that.

Personally i'd rather him on a 3 or 4 year deal for slightly less money without having to give up an asset then trade for him and see him walk on July 1 after a good season.

Old
08-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
I can understand that.

Personally i'd rather him on a 3 or 4 year deal for slightly less money without having to give up an asset then trade for him and see him walk on July 1 after a good season.
I hear ya, but Stemps would have been a UFA'er as well so we would have been in the same boat.

I also agree the Leafs should take a shot at him as we can afford it and it may be the only way to get a legitimate top 3 player. High risk, very high reward.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Of course it was. Brian Burke isn't going to trade for a player he can have for free 3 hours later.

But it came from somewhere.
How do you know? False rumours are reported all the time.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote