HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers let Zherdev walk

Old
08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
what I mean is you have a problem with offence, you just don't go out and acquire any offensive player, it has to be the right player.
When his name is Nikolai Zherdev, and he's an UFA, you do acquire him.

Not sure if you know much about this kid, but he's more talented than anyone on our roster. I think if he is put in the right situation, the guy is a 90+ point player.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
what I mean is you have a problem with offence, you just don't go out and acquire any offensive player, it has to be the right player.
And some think he is a good fit. Fiesty Russian who has tons of talent. We lack talent and want to be a fiesty team. The work ethic issue is there, but some may overlook that, since nobody is a perfect fit.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post

Not sure if you know much about this kid, but he's more talented than anyone on our roster. I think if he is put in the right situation, the guy is a 90+ point player.
I have a major issue with players who have the ability to disappear completely. For some people that's a neat trick. But in the hockey world, not so much.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
crazedcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
this is a money thing and Gaborik big contract has pushed him out.
No, Gomez leaving made room for him, the waste of cash was the $3/3yr=$9mil Sather gave Kotalik.

crazedcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:56 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
And some think he is a good fit. Fiesty Russian who has tons of talent. We lack talent and want to be a fiesty team. The work ethic issue is there, but some may overlook that, since nobody is a perfect fit.
Feisty?

Old
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I have a major issue with players who have the ability to disappear completely. For some people that's a neat trick. But in the hockey world, not so much.
I have a major issue with not having legitimate young first line offensive talents in the organization.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:58 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Feisty?
He has shown the willingness to fight, and get cheap. It's spotty, like his play, but he has it in him, similar to Kovalchuk.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RioBravo

Far too overrated, Pass.

RioBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iPunch
#StandWithOttawa

Quote:
I have a major issue with not having legitimate young first line offensive talents in the organization.
I don't. Its whats going to allow us to acquire one this upcoming draft that actually wants to give it all. Zherdev is not a guy you go into battle with on a serious playoff team.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:59 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Good thing we have plenty of time to address that issue. I don't think many people expect to win this year. There's been plenty of rumours over the years of his lack of interest in being a team player. At first they are rumours. When they persist, that's another story.

Old
08-04-2009, 05:01 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Sign Zherdev and you still have the same problem.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Reydin

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
This guy the second coming of Pierre Larouche or what lol. Young folks here wouldn't know him but he was a headache lol. a funny headcase, fur coats, late for practice,fine women and fine wine haaaa.

Anyone here remember him lol.
First hockey game I ever saw Flyers and Pens, bench clearing brawl. Face of the Pens for a while, I think scored 50 a couple of times if memory serves me well.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:07 PM
The Messenger

Quote:

I agree, if he were perfect he would not be available. He would be untouchable, we should be thankfull he has some baggage. He is well worth the risk of potential bad contract. The only way to acquire marquee players is have luck coming out of your a** at the draft, do a costly trade or sign a UFA (and they all seem to be signed early ala Rick Nash). He is high risk but very high reward. We should be thankful we have a shot at such a talent without giving up the farm. I say go for it Burkie !!!

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioBravo View Post
Far too overrated, Pass.
Saying Zherdev is overrated with a Kulemin avatar. I love it.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrafted View Post
Someone PLEASE give a reference about his "work ethic" or "heart" because everything that I've heard and read is complete hearsay... which has no value. Oh noes he disappeared during the playoff run, well here's news... so did the rest of the Rangers.
I know someone who coached him. Zherdev was a big problem. He wouldn't show up to practice on time, he wouldn't work hard at practice, he disrespected the coaching staff, disrespected the veterans, the team even brought in a legend from his country to mentor him and Zherdev disrespected this player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Claimed that Torts hurt his play. Not exactly a "character" thing to say. Rumoured he had complaints about Hitchcock, claiming he was responsible for his poor play.
He's definitely a coach killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
Here is what I propose Burke offer. A 4 year deal 15.5M. 3.5, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5. I think it's a pretty fair offer for both him and the Leafs.
Burke's honeymoon in terms of popularity will be over fast if he signs this punk to a long-term contract. Doug MacLean certainly regrets drafting him and has numerous times strongly suggested that this draft choice contributed to his firing.

Quote:
Go read the Columbus boards with the Zherdev thread.
You've got that right.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Blazephr

No way Burke goes near this headcase.....

Zherdev, Berard told to take a seat

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...225-E9-02.html

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Blazephr

Zherdev benching lights fire in win

"Instead of building on the lead, penalty trouble put the Rangers in trouble. It started with a lazy Zherdev slash. Though it was killed, Markus Naslund followed the trend with a bad interference penalty. This time, they weren’t so lucky as Shea Weber took a nice Steve Sullivan feed and blasted his 18th off Henrik Lundqvist’s right shoulder and in tying the score.

Suddenly with momentum, Nashville continued to come on getting seven of the last eight shots. They would go ahead off a blatant Zherdev turnover. Circling the net like it was the Ice Capades, the enigmatic 24 year-old Russian forced a pass to a covered point which was picked off starting an odd-man rush the other way."

http://www.battleofny.com/2009/03/12...s-fire-in-win/

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:22 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
No way Burke goes near this headcase.....

Zherdev, Berard told to take a seat

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...225-E9-02.html
Wow, missed a practise, he should be banned for life that is incomprehensible !!!

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Man Bear Pig

People act like no other players have had problems with Tortarella and Hitchcock in the past...This whole Zherdev situation kind of reminds me of Grabs. He was said to be lazy, didn't get along with people blah blah blah and most people would agree he was great last year and looked better as he went along and when he was challenged by the coaches.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Zherdev benching lights fire in win

"Instead of building on the lead, penalty trouble put the Rangers in trouble. It started with a lazy Zherdev slash. Though it was killed, Markus Naslund followed the trend with a bad interference penalty. This time, they weren’t so lucky as Shea Weber took a nice Steve Sullivan feed and blasted his 18th off Henrik Lundqvist’s right shoulder and in tying the score.

Suddenly with momentum, Nashville continued to come on getting seven of the last eight shots. They would go ahead off a blatant Zherdev turnover. Circling the net like it was the Ice Capades, the enigmatic 24 year-old Russian forced a pass to a covered point which was picked off starting an odd-man rush the other way."

http://www.battleofny.com/2009/03/12...s-fire-in-win/
You could say the same about Leafs of the past that people loved. Belak, Tucker, McCabe etc all did this stuff too, hockey players make mistakes and take dumb penalties. Alot of people wouldn't have an issue with Bertuzzi being on this team but Zherdev? OMG no way I want that guy.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:28 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
if you're going to cry about it, go support another team until we get one.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:32 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:

yup go right to youtube and check his highlights and you'll be amazed. While your there go check out Maxim Afinogenov and Alex Tanguay, then come back and call Burkie to sign them.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:35 PM
BleedsBlue4Life

Someone send Burkie a Zherdev tribute on Youtube

BleedsBlue4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:36 PM
dubey
Cookie Powered

What's the hold up in signing him? Get 'er done, Burkie!!!

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares in 09 View Post
You could say the same about Leafs of the past that people loved. Belak, Tucker, McCabe etc all did this stuff too, hockey players make mistakes and take dumb penalties. Alot of people wouldn't have an issue with Bertuzzi being on this team but Zherdev? OMG no way I want that guy.
Belak, Tucker, and McCabe weren't lazy and they got along with their teammates....you're comparing apples to oranges.

I've played with and coached talented players with piss-poor attitudes (edit: I'm talking about dressing room killing attitudes...not just a little bit of immaturity). Even if they're the most talented player on a team, the team is almost always better off without them.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote