HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers let Zherdev walk

Old
08-04-2009, 05:38 PM
K19*

vCash: 500
I'd love it if we took a chance on him, but I doubt Burke does. I'm not familiar with their cap situation, but he'll likely end up in Washington.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Man Bear Pig

Washington can't do it. They have a whopping $1.8 million in space.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Belak, Tucker, and McCabe weren't lazy and they got along with their teammates....you're comparing apples to oranges.

I've played with and coached talented players with piss-poor attitudes (edit: I'm talking about dressing room killing attitudes...not just a little bit of immaturity). Even if they're the most talented player on a team, the team is almost always better off without them.
Please Belak and Zherdev mentioned in the same breath !!! Tucker btw did have dressing room problems, he and Corson were a huge problem for the Leafs. (and for the record I am a Tucker fan so I am not slagging him).

The better comparison would be Grabs and Zherdev and that worked out OK.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
K19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares in 09 View Post
Washington can't do it. They have a whopping $1.8 million in space.
Tbh, I'm not aware of any of the team's available cap space. Who else can afford him? Not that it really matters. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the KHL.

But also, WAS could sign him and make subsequent moves to get under the cap, could they not? He'd flourish there.

Old
08-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Belak, Tucker, and McCabe weren't lazy and they got along with their teammates....you're comparing apples to oranges.

I've played with and coached talented players with piss-poor attitudes (edit: I'm talking about dressing room killing attitudes...not just a little bit of immaturity). Even if they're the most talented player on a team, the team is almost always better off without them.
I was responding to taking dumb penalties...

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
No way Burke goes near this headcase.....

Zherdev, Berard told to take a seat

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...225-E9-02.html
ha ha. I guess one strike and you're out.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
if you're going to cry about it, go support another team until we get one.
ha ha. PRICELESS

from the biggest baby on the board

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm sure he'll get signed if he'll take 3-3.5m.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Wow, missed a practise, he should be banned for life that is incomprehensible !!!
I think that there is probably more to the benching than just that one incident. A player gets some rope, especially when he has talent.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
There's too much to change to go over 4 mill for him. He's a 24 year old with attitude who hasn't produced as expected. Many of the players in the 03 draft class are dominant players, while he's been a headcase who isn't willing to work on his game. You don't have over big money to players like that. He's got talent, but it's not enough. He has to round out his game. I would pick him up for the right price, but that isn't anywhere near 5 million.
It's a risk EZ no arguments there, but when you can get a forward as young and talented as Zherdev without giving up assets IMO you have to take it.

BTW I didn't mean to suggest that I would offer him 5 million, but if thats what it takes, and by all accounts that is what it will take, then I for one would take that risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
Sign Zherdev and you still have the same problem.
Call him a jackass, inconsistent, unmotivated or immature, but do not imply he is anything less then a top flight forward. On many nights last season he was the Rangers best player, and at time took over games, his decreased point total has more to do with his benchings (poor two way play and run ins with the coach), but IMO if you accept Zherdev for who he is (a one dimensional forward) and pair him with responsible two way forwards (not unlike Kovy) then you will reap a large reward.

Last edited by MSP4LYFE*: 08-04-2009 at 06:49 PM.
MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:45 PM
HellasLEAF
#93Gilmour/#93Marner

How many times have we seen great players get passed by because of the odd story of attitude or practise etc etc...Grabovski comes to mind and we all love him. It's also why Getzlaf and Perry fell in the draft. I'm not saying it's a universal thing that he will flip a switch and be a model citizen but it's worth the gamble imo especially when we are not talking a lot of years on the contract. It's one year.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:52 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
How many times have we seen great players get passed by because of the odd story of attitude or practise etc etc...Grabovski comes to mind and we all love him. It's also why Getzlaf and Perry fell in the draft. I'm not saying it's a universal thing that he will flip a switch and be a model citizen but it's worth the gamble imo especially when we are not talking a lot of years on the contract. It's one year.
Now that he's a UFA he is looking for a long term deal, if he can't get one he is apparently willing to go the KHL route.

Old
08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
K19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Now that he's a UFA he is looking for a long term deal, if he can't get one he is apparently willing to go the KHL route.
This is true. It could very well be the difference between Zherdev signing with us or Washington or opting instead for the KHL.

This is all assuming Burke is even interested, of course.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo19 View Post
This is true. It could very well be the difference between Zherdev signing with us or Washington or opting instead for the KHL.

This is all assuming Burke is even interested, of course.
I can't see how there would be no interest on Burke or the rest of the leagues part. There has to be at least a few teams willing to pay 4.75 for the rights to Zherdev.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:44 PM
K19*

Quote:
I can't see how there would be no interest on Burke or the rest of the leagues part. There has to be at least a few teams willing to pay 4.75 for the rights to Zherdev.
Oh, I'm sure there are. But now that he's effectively a UFA, it's become a matter of how many teams are willing to pay 4.75 for 3, 4, or 5 years. I could be wrong, but the market is probably not that large, given the circumstances. That's not to say the interest isn't there, but obviously they would have to overcome the cap issue.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Call him a jackass, inconsistent, unmotivated or immature, but do not imply he is anything less then a top flight forward. On many nights last season he was the Rangers best player, and at time took over games, his decreased point total has more to do with his benchings (poor two way play and run ins with the coach), but IMO if you accept Zherdev for who he is (a one dimensional forward) and pair him with responsible two way forwards (not unlike Kovy) then you will reap a large reward.
This is EXACTLY why you don't want him on your team. CBJ and NYR certainly weren't sad to see him go.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
This is EXACTLY why you don't want him on your team. CBJ and NYR certainly weren't sad to see him go.
The only big obstacle with Zhredev is his attitude, if the leafs feel they can change it then the rest of his defencies are more then made up for with his immense offensive skill.

Old
08-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Would Brian Burke consider Nikolai Zherdev? It’s hard to say, but let’s look at the situation.

Brian Burke negotiated a contract with the following player:

Mikhail Grabovski
NHL Seasons: 1 season
Salary: $2.9 million (cap hit)

08/09 Stats:
GP G A PTS
78 20 28 48

Nikolai Zherdev
NHL Seasons: 5 seasons
Salary: $4.5 million (cap hit) Estimated

08/09 Stats:
GP G A PTS
82 23 35 58

Now if you look at the situation, Nikolai Zherdev has more NHL experience to warrant a larger contract. Based on these five years, this is a player that averages 55-60 points per season. Nikolai Zherdev still is not in his prime years, but he is starting to move past the "potential" stage. Brian Burke was comfortable not overpaying Grabovski over $3 million per season, so it would be difficult for Burke to pay Zherdev $4 million plus.

The only way Brian Burke goes after Nikolai Zherdev is for fair market value. Brian Burke is not the type of general manager to over pay a player no matter how good or the potential there may be. Another important factor for Brian Burke is character.

Brian Burke will always interview players to get an understanding of their character. If he finds that Nikolai Zherdev lacks in work ethic and character, then Maple Leaf nation can forget about signing any player with questionable character. This would be up to Brian Burke to decide based on his assessment of the player.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:05 PM
K19*

I'd be very surprised if he ends up a Leaf.

Old
08-04-2009, 08:08 PM
YouAreStupid

Quote:
It's a risk EZ no arguments there, but when you can get a forward as young and talented as Zherdev without giving up assets IMO you have to take it.

BTW I didn't mean to suggest that I would offer him 5 million, but if thats what it takes, and by all accounts that is what it will take, then I for one would take that risk.

lol... top flight forward at 58 points?

Give me a break. I think you are watching too many Zherdev shoot out videos.

YouAreStupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Blazephr

Oilers not interested in Zherdev

"While Zherdev might be intriguing on the wing because the Oilers have pulled out of the Dany Heatley trade with the Ottawa Senators, sources say Edmonton Oilers associate coach Tom Renney hasn't enthusiastically gone to bat for the enigmatic Ukrainian-born forward.

Renney is a players' coach, but his patience was stretched on Zherdev, a 24-year-old former first-round draft pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets, when Renney was the Rangers head coach."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...699/story.html

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:17 PM
YouAreStupid

Quote:
The only big obstacle with Zhredev is his attitude, if the leafs feel they can change it then the rest of his defencies are more then made up for with his immense offensive skill.
Where do you come up with this crap?

The only thing immense about Zherdev is his lack of drive. Skill doesn't mean anything without work ethic, for which he clearly has none. Which incidentally is why he finds himself butting heads with his coaches more often than not, and why he will never be the "top flight forward" you claim he is.

YouAreStupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:21 PM
TimeZone
Euro talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo19 View Post
I'd be very surprised if he ends up a Leaf.
Me too. I really really dont see it happening sadly.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
ha ha. PRICELESS

from the biggest baby on the board
better than being the clown.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
lol... top flight forward at 58 points?

Give me a break. I think you are watching too many Zherdev shoot out videos.
58 points with little pp time and linemates he has no chemistry with and on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league... Your problem is your only looking at the stats, anyone who watched the Rangers last year or Columbus before that can attest to how dominating Zherdev can be. Last season Zherdev was arguably the Rangers best forward, his problems stem from his attitude which often get him into trouble with the coaching staff, hence less TOI. If we feel he can mature and grow as a person under RW then there is no reason this kid cant hit 80/90 IMO.

Furthemore Zherdev almost always goes 5 hole on the SO, thats not too impressive...

Quote:
Where do you come up with this crap?

The only thing immense about Zherdev is his lack of drive. Skill doesn't mean anything without work ethic, for which he clearly has none. Which incidentally is why he finds himself butting heads with his coaches more often than not, and why he will never be the "top flight forward" you claim he is.
Zherdev absolutely has bad character and questionable work ethic, I get that, but you also have to acknowledge how good he is when he wants to be, he can, and has taken over games by himself. IMO respect and discipline can be taught, the world class talent Zherdev posesses can not.