HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rangers let Zherdev walk

Old
08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Oilers not interested in Zherdev

"While Zherdev might be intriguing on the wing because the Oilers have pulled out of the Dany Heatley trade with the Ottawa Senators, sources say Edmonton Oilers associate coach Tom Renney hasn't enthusiastically gone to bat for the enigmatic Ukrainian-born forward.

Renney is a players' coach, but his patience was stretched on Zherdev, a 24-year-old former first-round draft pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets, when Renney was the Rangers head coach."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...699/story.html
Red flags everywhere.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Zherdev absolutely has bad character and questionable work ethic, I get that, but you also have to acknowledge how good he is when he wants to be, he can, and has taken over games by himself. IMO respect and discipline can be taught, the world class talent Zherdev posesses can not.
Have you ever played on a team that has a talented but miserable a##hole who doesn't work hard and butts heads with everyone including the coaches? It's very demoralizing. It's not worth the headache. His track record speaks volumes.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:13 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Have you ever played on a team that has a talented but miserable a##hole who doesn't work hard and butts heads with everyone including the coaches? It's very demoralizing. It's not worth the headache. His track record speaks volumes.
all fans have to look at is stats and highlight videos to make a judgement.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Krazy

we need top line young talent and he is top line young talent....
That said, if Sather wont sign him then.....

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
K19*

Yeah, guys like that, I don't really think you can label as a winner. That being said, I wouldn't mind having here in the short-term, put up some points, and generally, provide some entertainment. This team is little on skill and long on brute strength, etc. as is.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:16 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I like him and I'd like us to sign him but if I am being really honest with myself I don't see it. I just think Burke will pass here. I think I am good either way really.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:21 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
58 points with little pp time and linemates he has no chemistry with and on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league... Your problem is your only looking at the stats, anyone who watched the Rangers last year or Columbus before that can attest to how dominating Zherdev can be. Last season Zherdev was arguably the Rangers best forward, his problems stem from his attitude which often get him into trouble with the coaching staff, hence less TOI. If we feel he can mature and grow as a person under RW then there is no reason this kid cant hit 80/90 IMO.
Always the excuses with you. Why did Columbus let go of him?

Quote:
Zherdev absolutely has bad character and questionable work ethic, I get that, but you also have to acknowledge how good he is when he wants to be, he can, and has taken over games by himself. IMO respect and discipline can be taught, the world class talent Zherdev posesses can not.
You seem to think that we have this magic coaching staff that can convert this kid into a player that gives a ****. Fortunately for me I'm not as naive to think that Ron Wilson is vastly superior to Ken Hitchcock and John Tortorella who have coached their teams to a Stanley Cup, and know what it takes to win one. Think those guys had any input into their teams decision to let Zherdev walk?

Is it just a coincidence?

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Bills09

Torts can be just as much of a *****, Hitchcock plays a highly defensive system.

I think Wilson would be a better fit for that kind of player imo

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
Torts can be just as much of a *****, Hitchcock plays a highly defensive system.

Renney was a players' coach, and he couldn't even get him going.

Old
08-04-2009, 09:32 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post

And Wilson won't want his team to play defense? Also are you aware of Wilson's past histories with certain players that didn't perform up to his standards? Does Patrick Marleau ring a bell?

I have to say that I'm pretty surprsied by all the Zherdev love for a guy who has never cracked 60pts, and has a track record of disruption.

Old
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
BIG BLUE

I'm sure someone could make up a killer Max Afinogenov highlight reel, but I dont' want him either.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
New Liskeard

I wouldn't be disapointed to see Zherdev signed for a one year, reasonable deal. If he doesn't work out, waive him or send him down. No harm no foul.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I wouldn't be disapointed to see Zherdev signed for a one year, reasonable deal. If he doesn't work out, waive him or send him down. No harm no foul.

He's looking for a long term deal or KHL

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
I'm sure someone could make up a killer Max Afinogenov highlight reel, but I dont' want him either.
Zherdev is 24, Afinogenov is 29. Zherdev is more talented and skilled.

Zherdev's situation is similar to what has been said about Alexei Kovalev.

His impact could be somewhere between that of Alex Ovechkin and Alex Semin.

We're renovating our team, he is renovating his game. I like him, some of you need to decide whether sometimes cap space can be used as long-term investments. There is no player on the market that is a better investment.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:14 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
He's looking for a long term deal or KHL
That's what i read as well, my point being is that if Burke could convince him to a one year deal I would be okay with it. As unlikely as it may be.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post

We're renovating our team, he is renovating his game. I like him, some of you need to decide whether sometimes cap space can be used as long-term investments. There is no player on the market that is a better investment.
exactly where do you get your information from?

Old
08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:

Great speech...

Old
08-04-2009, 10:20 PM
BIG BLUE

smart GMs pay close attention to character...

I don't care about his numbers...if he's a dick, pass.

Similarly, look at Tim Connoly's omission from Team USA camp...offense/skill wise he should be one of the top 3 centres on the team...but I hear he's a *****

Old
08-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:

I like Zherdev and all, but you just said he could be between Ovy and Semin, two of the best snipers in the league. Not to mention both finishing with over 100pts last year (Semin, pro-rated).

That is reaching, if I have ever seen it. This is coming from a Pro-Zherdev guy.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:22 PM
EazyB97

He's never produced like Kovalev has and Kovy has been able to elevate his game when it matters (though not consistently). Zherdev is pure potential at this point with no proof he can put up big numbers for a season or show up when it matters.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:26 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
Always the excuses with you. Why did Columbus let go of him?
What excuses? I have never argued the character issues surrounding Zherdev, I am merely citing examples to back up Zherdev's talent level, not that I have to, anyone who watches the game can see how good he is, the only question marks surrounding him are character and work ethic, something neither me or you can argue, as we are not in the dressing room with him.

Quote:
You seem to think that we have this magic coaching staff that can convert this kid into a player that gives a ****. Fortunately for me I'm not as naive to think that Ron Wilson is vastly superior to Ken Hitchcock and John Tortorella who have coached their teams to a Stanley Cup, and know what it takes to win one. Think those guys had any input into their teams decision to let Zherdev walk?

Is it just a coincidence?
He's 24! He isnt the first immature and unmoivated youngster with skills, if you recall Grabovksy had similar question marks surrounding him when we brought him in. I think Zherdev can change, will he change? Who knows, thats up for the leafs staff to decide.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM
akiberg*

Quote:
I have to say that I'm pretty surprsied by all the Zherdev love for a guy who has never cracked 60pts, and has a track record of disruption.
the team is at least a few years away from contending. the team has lots of cap space. the team has no one near zherdev's talent level in the system. why not take a flyer on a 24yr old kid that may change his spots?
i understand what you are saying, and you've made some very good points. i guess for me it comes down to, why the heck not? the only thing the leafs have to lose is money on a wasted investment, and money is something we all know they have an abundance of. if it turns out he is a distraction and a detriment to the team and is uncoachable, than MLSE can bury their mistake in the minors.

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
What excuses? I have never argued the character issues surrounding Zherdev, I am merely citing examples to back up Zherdev's talent level, not that I have to, anyone who watches the game can see how good he is, the only question marks surrounding him are character and work ethic, something neither me or you can argue, as we are not in the dressing room with him.

He's 24! He isnt the first immature and unmoivated youngster with skills, if you recall Grabovksy had similar question marks surrounding him when we brought him in. I think Zherdev can change, will he change? Who knows, thats up for the leafs staff to decide.
watch the games or watch highlight reel tapes.

Grabo, immature... yes, willing to change... yes, unmotivated...no

Old
08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
smart GMs pay close attention to character...

I don't care about his numbers...if he's a dick, pass.

Similarly, look at Tim Connoly's omission from Team USA camp...offense/skill wise he should be one of the top 3 centres on the team...but I hear he's a *****
Yeah I have heard some awful things about his character, I cant speak about Zherdev though, as I honestly dont know if his character issues are overstated or justified. I do however believe that a 24 year old can change, but for all I know he may just be a dick.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:32 PM
BIG BLUE

Fletcher saw the bad apples and the country club mentality and he traded/bought out those players...

RW and BB benched key players, called them out in the press in some cases, and their play improved...now more players have been brought in for competition...

the Leafs pay close attention to players' attitude leading up to the draft.

you don't bring in a selfish a$$ and destroy the culture you're fostering of hard work, and team-first...