HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rangers let Zherdev walk

Old
08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
MSP4LYFE*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Have you ever played on a team that has a talented but miserable a##hole who doesn't work hard and butts heads with everyone including the coaches? It's very demoralizing. It's not worth the headache. His track record speaks volumes.
Do you have any inside info on him in the dressing room? (Serious question)

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:34 PM
BIG BLUE

if I remember correctly, Doug McLean even shakes his head about Zherdev, even though he drafted him 5th overall...

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:36 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
He's never produced like Kovalev has and Kovy has been able to elevate his game when it matters (though not consistently). Zherdev is pure potential at this point with no proof he can put up big numbers for a season or show up when it matters.
Granted, but putting up 60 points and dominating games like he has done shows that he is more then just a potential all star forward. I agree he is not in the same class as Kovalev and Kovy though.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:37 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Do you have any inside info on him in the dressing room? (Serious question)
I would figure Columbus fans know more about his attitude than the casual fan that just checks youtube videos.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
He's never produced like Kovalev has and Kovy has been able to elevate his game when it matters (though not consistently). Zherdev is pure potential at this point with no proof he can put up big numbers for a season or show up when it matters.

and Kovy (21 years of age) won a cup in '94. Messier's legendary game six against the Devils would not have happened had it not been for Kovy.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
exactly where do you get your information from?
Information?

Or is it my personal opinion, something I've gathered from years of watching and following hockey?

In terms of talent, there are few Russian NHL players that top Zherdev. He is still young, 24 years old and a bit immature. But as a rebuilding team, our front office needs to take these risks with great reward. Zherdev would be the most talented player on our team. Why save the cap space and not go out and get a player who is still a couple years from hitting his unrestricted free agency age.

For my own reasons, I think he'll end up in Toronto.

Alex Ponikarovsky can probably pick up the phone and give him a call. Zherdev is Ukrainian-Russian, he was born in Ukraine.

I frankly don't care what some of you guys say about him not being a "Brian Burke player" or that you compare him to Max Afinogenov. Clearly, you have not seen Zherdev that often. He has some deficiencies that need to be worked on. But when or if he ever manages to correct them, you end up with a player that has the talent to dominate in the offensive zone.

His offensive skill set to me is not that far off from Ilja Kovalchuk. On nights where he's playing at 75%, he's still a greater risk to produce offensively than almost any player on the ice.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:40 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
if I remember correctly, Doug McLean even shakes his head about Zherdev, even though he drafted him 5th overall...
I have heard a few people say that, but never mentioned anything specific.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:41 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post
Information?

Or is it my personal opinion, something I've gathered from years of watching and following hockey?

In terms of talent, there are few Russian NHL players that top Zherdev. He is still young, 24 years old and a bit immature. But as a rebuilding team, our front office needs to take these risks with great reward. Zherdev would be the most talented player on our team. Why save the cap space and not go out and get a player who is still a couple years from hitting his unrestricted free agency age.

For my own reasons, I think he'll end up in Toronto.

Alex Ponikarovsky can probably pick up the phone and give him a call. Zherdev is Ukrainian-Russian, he was born in Ukraine.

I frankly don't care what some of you guys say about him not being a "Brian Burke player" or that you compare him to Max Afinogenov. Clearly, you have not seen Zherdev that often. He has some deficiencies that need to be worked on. But when or if he ever manages to correct them, you end up with a player that has the talent to dominate in the offensive zone.

His offensive skill set to me is not that far off from Ilja Kovalchuk. On nights where he's playing at 75%, he's still a greater risk to produce offensively than almost any player on the ice.

Do you actually watch the games like I do from start to finish or do you just go watch highlight youtube videos and make your opinions from that. Saying Zherdev being the best player on this team shows how pathetic this team is.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Do you actually watch the games like I do from start to finish or do you just go watch highlight youtube videos and make your opinions from that. Saying Zherdev being the best player on this team shows how pathetic this team is.
I said...

Quote:
Zherdev would be the most talented player on our team.
Two different things. We need talent.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
I would figure Columbus fans know more about his attitude than the casual fan that just checks youtube videos.
For starters I'm not a casual fan who watches youtube vids, secondly Colmbus fans know just as much about Zherdev in the locker room as us, nothing.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:44 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
What excuses? I have never argued the character issues surrounding Zherdev, I am merely citing examples to back up Zherdev's talent level, not that I have to, anyone who watches the game can see how good he is, the only question marks surrounding him are character and work ethic, something neither me or you can argue, as we are not in the dressing room with him.

He's 24! He isnt the first immature and unmoivated youngster with skills, if you recall Grabovksy had similar question marks surrounding him when we brought him in. I think Zherdev can change, will he change? Who knows, thats up for the leafs staff to decide.
What staff? Last time I checked he doesn't have a team.

It takes more than pure skill to translate it into production. Without the production his skill means nothing. Zherdev may be skilled but his lackadaisical approach to the game almost guarantees he won't make the most of it.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
For starters I'm not a casual fan who watches youtube vids, secondly Colmbus fans know just as much about Zherdev in the locker room as us, nothing.
I didn't refer to you personally, but generally to most fans on this board.

Old
TopProspect91

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I've seen both Kovy and Zherdev play on many occasions (I have NHL Center Ice), and I can tell that you Zherdev is not even in the same league as Kovy in terms of skill. Yeah, Zherdev's good, and I DO want him here, but for those of you've who have seen him play, you may agree that Zherdev is not even close in terms of talent compared to Kovy. He's more like a very, very, very, poor man's Kovy.

TopProspect91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:46 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
I said...

Two different things. We need talent.
try telling us something we don't know. Boy, some of you people are getting impatient and desperate.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:46 PM
akiberg*

Quote:
lmao.
that sir, is pure comedy.
zherdev would be the most skilled player on the team, yes. i think what's being debated here is whether or not the leafs can make him a 'player' and the risks and rewards associated with the decision.
glad to hear you watch hockey games from start to finish.
about how many ranger games did you catch last year? columbus games the year before (from start to finish). just curious.

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:48 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiberg View Post
lmao.
that sir, is pure comedy.
zherdev would be the most skilled player on the team, yes. i think what's being debated here is whether or not the leafs can make him a 'player' and the risks and rewards associated with the decision.
glad to hear you watch hockey games from start to finish.
about how many ranger games did you catch last year? columbus games the year before (from start to finish). just curious.
around 25 games with Rangers and arond 15 with Columbus. Anything else or do you have anything useful to post.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:49 PM
BIG BLUE

I am confident Burke will do a cost benefit analysis on him, based on his information of the guy's character.

If he signs him, I'll trust him.
I think it's unlikely. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
What staff? Last time I checked he doesn't have a team.

It takes more than pure skill to translate it into production. Without the production his skill means nothing. Zherdev may be skilled but his lackadaisical approach to the game almost guarantees he won't make the most of it.
I'm saying that evaluating Zherdev and weighing the pro's against the cons is for the leafs staff to decide, should they choose to do so. You can rip Zherdev's character all you want, but the fact of the matter is you don't know **** about him, for all we know he just got into with the wrong people.

As for the bolded comment, I agree completely, but I do not believe this is necccasarilly the case with Zherdev.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
I didn't refer to you personally, but generally to most fans on this board.
I don't think anyone on here specifically is judging Zherdev solely on YT vids, but I could be wrong.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I see a highly talented 24 year old that two teams have now passed up on in three seasons. To me that's a pretty big red flag.

Signing him would be nothing short of a desperate move.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:53 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
I don't think anyone on here specifically is judging Zherdev solely on YT vids, but I could be wrong.
Gord Millers Chin.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
akiberg*

Quote:
around 25 games with Rangers and arond 15 with Columbus. Anything else or do you have anything useful to post.
wow, that's alot of games. sorry, i guess you are an expert. my mistake. here i thought you were a pimply faced 17yr old that dad got an internet connection for so he could get the bump off his couch. you know sometimes i can be so far off. oh well, you win some, you lose some.

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
try telling us something we don't know. Boy, some of you people are getting impatient and desperate.
Yes, a 1 year deal for Nikolai Zherdev at around $4M is being very impatient and desperate. </sarcasm>

We have the capspace and are set on defence and in net. We have the cap space to sign a top 6 forward. Why go out and sign a 28 or 29 year old? Why not sign Zherdev to a 1 year deal at $3.9M and see how he does. You might be relatively pleased.

He's not going to look for a long term deal. He will sign a 1 year deal at around $4M and try to go for a raise next offseason.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
I am confident Burke will do a cost benefit analysis on him, based on his information of the guy's character.

If he signs him, I'll trust him.
I think it's unlikely. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.
it's even more unlikely citing the # of Europeans that are top 6 forwards on this team. Poni, Hagman, Grabo, Kulemin, Tlusty (maybe). That number is going to change soon.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopProspect91 View Post
I'm sorry, but I've seen both Kovy and Zherdev play on many occasions (I have NHL Center Ice), and I can tell that you Zherdev is not even in the same league as Kovy in terms of skill. Yeah, Zherdev's good, and I DO want him here, but for those of you've who have seen him play, you may agree that Zherdev is not even close in terms of talent compared to Kovy. He's more like a very, very, very, poor man's Kovy.
I think Zherdev is a better puckhandler, but Kovy has him beat in every other aspect of the game as far as I'm concerned.