HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers walk away from Zherdev arbitration ruling (Update: KHL Rumor False)

Old
08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayba View Post
Kotalik is not a playmaker and neither is Drury. How is one suppose to get the other going? Neither has great speed, neither cycles the puck well. Sometimes things just fall into place and guys have good years and then never repeat those years. I think that is the case with both Drury and Kotalik. Not saying they both wont score some but I dont put any value into Kotalik being signed to get drury going.
Ok so when they played together in Buffalo who was the other linemate?

did they not do just fine together on a first place team?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:28 PM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
he looked uninterested in the shootouts with the same shot each time.
This is what I'm talking about. The guy can't win on these boards. If he tries to use his elaborate stick-work Zherdev's being too fancy. If he tries a shootout method that has worked for him but is unspectacular-looking (5 hole wrister) he's being lazy or disinterested.

A lot of people chose to hate Zherdev at one point and then he never got the benefit of the doubt ever again.

Quote:
I really like the fact that Kotalik will be replacing him as I have watched alot of him over the years. He may not outscore Z but he still will definately bring more to the table. Unlike Zherdev, Ales is always a threat on the PP with one of the best one-timers in the league. He has 21 PP points last season. Also Ales is without a doubt the best shootout player in the league.
It's funny you should mention Kotalik as Zherdev's replacement because viewing him as Zherdev's replacement and putting that kind of pressure on him is exactly what could make him the next scapegoat of the team. If Kotalik doesn't live up to the hype we'll all remember who we could have had for 900k more this season.

I hope I'm wrong about Kotalik. But I've seen a lot of guys come to this team in the past few years and perform below expectations.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Kotalik IS NOT Zherdev's replacement! He's a LW'er!!!!

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I thought he plays both wings.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I thought he plays both wings.

He's going have to move to RW when Callahan gets dealt in a package for Heatley.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
He's going have to move to RW when Callahan gets dealt in a package for Heatley.
and I better have a condom ready when I meet Megan Fox.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Blazephr

Oilers not interested in Zherdev

"While Zherdev might be intriguing on the wing because the Oilers have pulled out of the Dany Heatley trade with the Ottawa Senators, sources say Edmonton Oilers associate coach Tom Renney hasn't enthusiastically gone to bat for the enigmatic Ukrainian-born forward.

Renney is a players' coach, but his patience was stretched on Zherdev, a 24-year-old former first-round draft pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets, when Renney was the Rangers head coach."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...699/story.html

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Jxmarts

We let Zherdev go for nothing, but we gained valuable cap space. I could live with it, except...

Sather is a hardliner when dealing with his own players. He's let Jagr, Leetch, Nylander, Shanahan, Avery and others go over the years. These have not necessarily been unwise moves. But...

The problem is that whenever Sather does find himself with cap space, he shows little reservation in overpaying for relatively mediocre players in terms of their contracts. From Sather's point of view, somehow the grass is greener regarding players who've played elsewhere.

Sather was very generous this summer with Brashear, Kotalik and Gaborik, but I'm not sure all of them will justify their cost. We know his track record isn't exactly stellar. I'm afraid Brashear might be on a steep decline; Kotalik, hopelessly average; and Gaborik, forever injury prone.

It remains to be seen what Sather will do with the cap space that remains after Dubi is re-signed. My guess is that Sather won't be able to help himself from doling out one last biggie that makes us say ouch.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
TheyareGonnaGO

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...notes-1.811976

Quote:
Rollie Hedges, who represents the former Rangers right wing, said in a phone conversation a few minutes ago that he had not spoken today to Zherdev, who is in Russia, but that he and his client have been preparing for the decision.

"We've discussed his options in the past because to be fair, the Rangers couldn't afford more than the $3.25 million they initially offered, and that was before they made all the other moves," Hedges said. "The issue now is where he fits in the market at this point. His first priority is to play in the NHL. If not, he'll look at Russia."
Zherdev knew the Rangers couldn't afford more than 3.25 and he filed for arbitration anyway. Zherdev had no desire to play with us next year and this was his way out of town. I don't have any hard feeling toward him for trying to get more money but if he really wanted to be here he would have accepted the qualifying offer knowing that we couldn't afford more than it. For this reason I will not miss him next year.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Not saying Tyutin should be ashamed, but the Jackets looked like they did not belong in the same league as the Wings. It is one thing to lose, it is another to get beaten the way they did.

A rookie goalie? You mean the rookie who won the Calder and was a finalist for the Vezina? Yeah, I guess he had nothing to do with the GA/G. Just like it was the Rangers stellar D that led to Lundqvist's very impressive numbers the past few seasons. Any team with Tyutin on it's first or second pairing is not going very far.
It was their first playoffs as a franchise and against the defending champs who had much better offense. So, the end result was predictable.

What you fail to realize is Tyutin is a solid top 4 who logs big minutes and he's less than 3 M cap hit and 25. They gave him away for a headcase and overpaid Wade Redden, who's clearly in decline and older. How does anyone defend that?

All I know is a blueline with Staal, Rozy, Toots and Girardi is a solid top 4 and more cap friendly than what we got now. Instead, they're stuck thanks to Slats' roll of the dice.

P.S. You must not have watched many Jacket games bc Tyutin excelled under Hitchcock.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Tyutin was a guy that played scared in New York. I'm not sure if we would have developed like he did in Columbus if he stayed in NY.

I am very glad that Zherdev is gone. I'm not happy that a trade couldn't be made though. Sure Zherdev put up 58 points. That is lovely. But how many of those goals and assists made a difference in a tight game? I can remember the tying goal against Pittsburgh but that is about it. The kid scores the easy points. The points when the game doesn't matter. Also he is extremely soft, he hardly gets his shots through, during the 2nd half of the season he would fan on every simple pass, and he looked uninterested in the shootouts with the same shot each time.

I really like the fact that Kotalik will be replacing him as I have watched alot of him over the years. He may not outscore Z but he still will definately bring more to the table. Unlike Zherdev, Ales is always a threat on the PP with one of the best one-timers in the league. He has 21 PP points last season. Also Ales is without a doubt the best shootout player in the league.
This is how I feel as well. Kotalik may not outscore Zherdev or whoever he is supposed to replace(points-wise) but he plays with a hell of a lot more passion than Naslund, Gomez or Zherdev(or at least what they showed).

I think some people are misunderstanding why Kotalik and Drury work so well together. It isnt/wasnt really even strength that they clicked, it was the PP. Kotalik uses that one timer and his shots are pretty much always on net which leave huge rebounds because it is so hard. Drury thrives on getting to the spots he needs to in order to put those in.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
It's funny you should mention Kotalik as Zherdev's replacement because viewing him as Zherdev's replacement and putting that kind of pressure on him is exactly what could make him the next scapegoat of the team. If Kotalik doesn't live up to the hype we'll all remember who we could have had for 900k more this season.

I hope I'm wrong about Kotalik. But I've seen a lot of guys come to this team in the past few years and perform below expectations.
I am going on record as saying he will not outscore Zherdev, but he will play with a lot more passion and be a lot more interested in how the TEAM does than he does. He will help the PP and will bring a needed addition(great shot) to this team.

Old
08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
It was their first playoffs as a franchise and against the defending champs who had much better offense. So, the end result was predictable.

What you fail to realize is Tyutin is a solid top 4 who logs big minutes and he's less than 3 M cap hit and 25. They gave him away for a headcase and overpaid Wade Redden, who's clearly in decline and older. How does anyone defend that?

All I know is a blueline with Staal, Rozy, Toots and Girardi is a solid top 4 and more cap friendly than what we got now. Instead, they're stuck thanks to Slats' roll of the dice.

P.S. You must not have watched many Jacket games bc Tyutin excelled under Hitchcock.
Lets not overhype our former Ranger here. He played great for about half the season but he still needs to work on his consistency(like most young players). He did play well in CLB and I am hapy for him but towards the beginning of the season he was unspectacular at best. I even saw him play live against the Sabres when they were in town where CLB clobbered the Sabres I think either 6-0 or 7-0 and I can tell you first-hand that Tyutin looked invisible and a tad slow to the outside but that was at the beginning of the season. Towards the end he seemed to see the light and start to play like many people expected him to.

Old
08-04-2009, 09:13 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

zherdev is heading to the khl. this is my opinion. only.

hes an oversensitive, moody player who competes when he wants to. hes not cut out for the nhl. he can come to play every other night in russia. perfect scenerio for him to float and make 4 mil tax free.

hitchcock gave up on him.

ditto renney

torts wanted no part of him.

slats couldnt move him for a bag of pucks.

he had no value. he opted to push slats. he gambled. he lost.

enjoy russia nikolai

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:32 PM
The Thomas J.*

I'm glad Z is an Ex Ranger. I never expected him to be part of this season anyway. I can live with what we have to go into the season with.
Now we have some cap space that we don't have to use now & once the season is started and the team has some time to gel we can see what we have & what we need & fill those spots with trades & waivers.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Levitate

Well this whole thing was retarded. Good job, Sather.

There's no good spin on this whatsoever

edit: they better hurry up and sign Dubinsky to a nice deal and none of this "$700k for this year only" ********

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
This is what I'm talking about. The guy can't win on these boards. If he tries to use his elaborate stick-work Zherdev's being too fancy. If he tries a shootout method that has worked for him but is unspectacular-looking (5 hole wrister) he's being lazy or disinterested.

A lot of people chose to hate Zherdev at one point and then he never got the benefit of the doubt ever again.
I don't care what he does in the Shootout as long as he scores. He has the skill to score. But he didn't often. It seemed like everyone (including the goalies) knew exactly what he was gunna do. He was hot at first as he scored on his first 4 attempts (or maybe 4 out of 5) but then only scored one other time all season.

Kotalik has decided more shootout games than anyone in NHL History.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:05 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well this whole thing was retarded. Good job, Sather.

There's no good spin on this whatsoever

edit: they better hurry up and sign Dubinsky to a nice deal and none of this "$700k for this year only" ********
I still don't understand the hurry to sign Dubi.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Sayba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
He is a winger, was given the money that would have gone to Zherdev and was signed only after Zherdev elected to go to arbitration. that kind of makes him his replacement.

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:27 PM
RegalRangers

Quote:
I still don't understand the hurry to sign Dubi.
I agree. Now that we're not signing zherdev teams will see our cap space and the chances of an offer sheet have dropped significantly. We have time to do this dubi deal right.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
TheHotRock

salavat yulaev

i would rather have z at 3.9 than kotalik at 3....but it is what it is.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
GarretJoseph*

All this talk about Zherdev's skill level....

Just watch Gabby show you REAL SKILL on the ice this upcoming season.

Now thats worth paying for.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:47 PM
RegalRangers

Also, I gotta say, I'm glad we got guys this offseason who have more "passion" than Zherdev but passion doesn't put the puck in the net as often as that "lazy" winger we let walk away for nothing - nor does it pass as well.

And if you want to talk about acquiring passion players then WHY isn't Blair Betts still a Ranger? There's a guy who by "passion" standards deserved a raise. If we could give Kotalik 3 MILLION for three years, why did we have to refuse giving Blair Betts a raise AND then on top of that insult him by signing Donald ****ing Brashear. For a classy organization such as the Rangers, i understand the brush-off when it's a guy whose work ethic was questionable but I will always be upset with how we parted ways with one of the hardest working players this organization has seen in the past decade.

I just don't see a concise, clear game plan this summer. That being said, Gaborik's huge contract is the only overpayment I've been fine with in the past few years. This coming season I would not be surprised to see a lot of chaos because there are so many new guys that its going to take months for this team to develop chemistry. A lot of people bashed the Devils fan who came in here but I kind of agree with him - we can't shake things up so drastically every single year. You never know what you have. I hope that next offseason we don't have to do another quick rebuild. Because that's exactly what we've done this offseason. A quick rebuild. We've held on to Cally, Dubi, Hank and Staal and tossed everything up in the air and grabbed on to what we could.

I hope all these "Torts guys" know how to pass the puck to each other.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:51 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyareGonnaGO View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...notes-1.811976

Zherdev knew the Rangers couldn't afford more than 3.25 and he filed for arbitration anyway. Zherdev had no desire to play with us next year and this was his way out of town. I don't have any hard feeling toward him for trying to get more money but if he really wanted to be here he would have accepted the qualifying offer knowing that we couldn't afford more than it. For this reason I will not miss him next year.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up

IDK why some many user's on here wanted him back so bad

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:56 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
When did I say it was Tyutin's fault?

I swear, some of you REALLY need to improve your reading comprehension skills. I'd be more than happy to provide tutoring, I charge $60/hour. If I need to pay tolls, the cost will be added to your bill. If I must drive more than 1/2 hour, than travel fees will also be added.

I will trying saying it in a different way so more of you can twist things and further add to my point about reading comprehension skills. Fedor Tyutin is a SERVICEABLE NHL defenseman. He is not anything special. Would he be a top-6 on the Rangers today? Yes. Is he a top-6 dman on most teams, yes. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a team where Tyutin would NOT be a top-6 dman. HOWEVER, a team that is relying on him as a top-4 guy is not going very far in the play-offs. Now, exceptions can be made in certain situations. For example, a team may decide not to put their best two dmen on the same pair. Tyutin in this situation might be a good match with the teams best d-man, thus getting him 1st pair minutes. Similar to Dubinsky two years ago. He was not the BEST centerman on the Rangers. He clicked with Jagr, he was the first line center. However, no one in their right mind would think Dubinsky is a #1 centerman on a good team.
I get what you're saying dude, I think most of us just think you're totally wrong. If you watched on CBJ game, you would've seen what we're talking about. I agree there are serviceable d-men who can play on a paring above their individual out of 6-7 ranking, but Tyutin just isn't that. He is legit Top pair material. And he is absolutely better than everyone we have except Staal. For all of Rozy's skill and how everyone talks him up, he underachieves to me by a big margin. Seriously, go over and ask this to CBJ fans, who have no illusions about their team's skill level/overall success. They will tell you that Tyutin was one of the biggest reasons for them finally making the playoffs.

But if you wanna insult us, fine. I guess its an irrelevant point of discussion anyway, just some of it can't get over that we lost Toots for nothing... oh well.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote