HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers walk away from Zherdev arbitration ruling (Update: KHL Rumor False)

Old
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
shoothepuck

vCash: 500
Oh well..

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why do I get the feeling this has more to do with Tortorella than it does with Sather?....
Bingo.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

and by the way, torts had alot to do with zherdev not being back so it aint just slats.
That's why I wish we didn't make a PO, but kept Renney and Zherdev. Instead we will have Torts and probably Fedotenko. Ruslan can take Torts cursing literally in strides. He cannot do many things Zherdev could. Being from Kiev doesn't spell talent.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
asparkoflife

Im kind of indifferent to this at this point. This was a saga that needed to be over. I liked Z but he's not worth the erratic play at this point IMO. Dust ourselves off and move forward. Good Luck, Niko.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
DutchShamrock

I actually think that teams will be even less interested in him as a UFA than as a trade. At least with a trade, teams can manage salary better and send something back. Now teams will have to cater to his ego and fit him in the budget. A for instance could be Toronto having interest if we maybe took Blake back... but does anyone really think Burke is excited to have both Blake and Zherdev? Look at Tanguay, a better all around player than Zherdev and no one is interested in getting him for 'free'.

I'd like to see how much Zherdev signs for, if it's in Russia or for under $3m we have to cut Sather slack here and acknowledge the unrealistic demands of Zherdev, the poor arbitration decision and the fickle market.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
It not about getting beat in a trade. Sather was never going to get equal value for Z in this situation.

But tell me how letting him walk for nothing is better than letting him go for a mid-round draft pick, or a prospect, or anything tangible?
Because its likely the teams that were offering were never going to get Z to go there and Sather wouldnt do that to another GM

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Man, the Chicken Littles are out in full force today. Can we at least be thankful for Dubinsky getting re-signed any second now, or that Sather will add a No. 5 or 6 d-man.

Let's move forward. This team has a ton of talent in the pipeline and a revamped roster for a coach who has a proven track record. To me, Zherdev didnt make or break this team.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
That's why I wish we didn't make a PO, but kept Renney and Zherdev. Instead we will have Torts and probably Fedotenko. Ruslan can take Torts cursing literally in strides. He cannot do many things Zherdev could. Being from Kiev doesn't spell talent.
You mean the Fedotenko that resigned in Pittsburgh weeks ago?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
pld459666

Quote:
More like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Im not crying that Z is gone, although I would've wished to get a little something in return at the very least. But even with Z gone, this team should be better offensively.

WHA???

I need to see the logic behind this comment

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Emptyvoid

From Zherdev to Tanguay?

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I don't see how losing Zherdev is "horrible asset management"...

So in that regard, trading Tyutin (who was overrated on these boards and for the third year in a row had a terrible playoff) for Zherdev was a justified Gamble since Sather knew he was losing Jagr, Shanny, Avery and Straka....
The root cause of the trade was Sather's decision to give Jagr's money to Redden. Each move a monumental failure in retrospect.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
You will be undoubtedly. Just give it some time. As of today our roster is as dysfunctional as last year or worse.
How is that?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
HAPPY HOUR

I believe Torts had everything to do with Z's departure.

The GM should to his best to give the coach whatever he needs to implement his system and surround his coach with the players that he believes he can win with.

Hitch didn't believe Nick was that player. Nor did Torts. Can't say that both coaches aren't winners. They both saw something that said time to bail on this guy.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
eco's bones

Zherdev might not get a contract out of all this but he does get the freedom to go to whatever NHL teams will have him if he can accept their offer(s) or he can go back to Europe. So in a way he's bought his freedom.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
WHA???

I need to see the logic behind this comment
With Zherdev's ice time freed up, Envir Lisin is now free to break out into the 40 goal scorer that he was destined to be.

wait... did you say logic?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Man, the Chicken Littles are out in full force today. Can we at least be thankful for Dubinsky getting re-signed any second now, or that Sather will add a No. 5 or 6 d-man.

Let's move forward. This team has a ton of talent in the pipeline and a revamped roster for a coach who has a proven track record. To me, Zherdev didnt make or break this team.
Actually, it's the smug Z-haters are out in full force. There are far more posts in this thread saying it was the right thing to do. No matter how much you think you're right, you're not going to convince the rest of us that it wasn't a terrible move. Pardon me for sticking to my guns on this one.

And again, although I was a Zherdev fan, the reason that this bothers me so much is not that one of my favorite players has left - I was fine when Slats traded off Leetch and Kovalev, because I thought those moves were necessary to improve the team. In this case, however, I still have yet to have a single person explain to me how Kotalik at $9MM over three years is better than Zherdev at $3.9MM for one year (don't forget you could always let him go thereafter, if he didn't improve under a full year of Torts). Because that IS what it boils down to - a straightup trade of Zherdev for a less talented "enigma" who has already reached his ceiling.

That better be one hell of a player we add with that extra 900 grand.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Its funny because all over the board, here and elsewhere - people are bashing Sather and eating up the fact the Rangers got nothing for Zherdev by letting him walk.

If this had been Lou that made this move it would be considered the right thing to do, because he wasnt the right type of player for the coach and system, while freeing up cash to address other improvements to the team, one being signing a developing RFA center.

I think its somewhere in the middle. Sure, it would have been nice to have gotten SOMETHING of value back for Z, even a low round pick. But i doubt many teams, if any - were interested in giving something back AND adding Zherdev for 3.9. If they really wanted him they could take a chance and see if he would sign with them on the open market and giving nothing up in the process.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThirdEye

To me, if Sather signs Tanguay all is forgiven. Tanguay would bring much more to this team than Zherdev, and for about the same price.

Zherdev is hardly useless, but he is an annoyance to watch. He is a really skilled, but also rather dumb hockey player

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

Quote:

Exactly. Would Zherdev have made us better this season? Absolutely. But on the other hand would he be re-signed to a long term deal? Doubtful, as he'd probably be looking for even more money next year. So while it sucks to lose an offensively gifted player for nothing, the reality is we'll likely be a better team down the road.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
It is not the most ideal situation but it is hard to have every aspect on one team. Dubinsky and Anisimov are both decent playmakers who are only going to get better. Lisin didn't stick with the Coyotes because Wayne Gretzky is a dumbass coach and has no idea what he is doing behind the bench.

Like I said I would like to get a top playmaking center as well but I am just looking at what we have at the moment. Tanguay would be a nice player to get on the cheap but realistically this team needs at least one more defenseman who has played in the NHL and has been solid.

Either way, the offseason has a long way to go. I hope we can satisfy both of our concerns for this team.
I don't even think it has to be a playmaking center. It could also be a playmaking winger. Tanguay fits both bills as he can play both. I still think a playmaker is more important than a third pairind dman, especially since Torts doesn't play the third pairing as much as the top two.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'd rather have a lesser talent who battles than the most talented underachiever.
add to the fact Kotalik has said Buffalo mis-used him and he has chemistry with Drury. Zherdrv is very good though, and I am quite pissed at this move. But what if there were no options. Would people rather us not be able to sign Dubinsky than to have Zherdev as our 3rd line RW'er? And no Kotalik IS NOT Zherdev's replacement. Lisin is, who will produce at a tad less and for 3 million less. Kotalik is Naslund/Antropov's replacement.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Torts strikes again. So now it is Nicky Z , Betts , Orr, Freddy the shoe wow they just weren't Torts guys. Torts spoke with Fishler and said I liked Betts I liked Orr lol this guy just seems to lie about his true feelings. He hated Orr with a passion words I got from the player. He shut Orr out and he didn't play him or speak to him the last week of the season. Can you imagine what he did to a fragile Nicky Z? Torts is a bully.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
lotus

Don't really care about this anymore. I've accepted his leaving for a while now.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Hudler awards a 2 year $5.75M contract at 2.75 & 3.

previous season totals (from most recent),
23-34-57
13-29-42
15-10-25
and two seasons playing only a handful of games.

Zherdev season totals (from most recent) were
23-35-58
26-35-61
10-22-32
27-27-54
13-21-34

I guess that's the difference between coming off your entry level and coming off your 2nd contract. 3.9 vs 2.87 ~ 1M difference. Could this mean Dubinsky is signing for far less than Callahan as some have suggested? 1 year $1.3M to be followed by a nice extension in January?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Dolan runs Knicks same way. I think Dolan approved if not insisted on the decision. I am convinced now that Zherdev is much better off without the Rangers than Rangers without him. We are doomed, while Z has a bright future in front of him. He will play in Toronto and will kick this moron Tortorella arch as soundly as Kovalev did same to Souppy.
We are not making the palyoffs. Lundqvist should request a trade at some point.
If Tortorella and/or Dolan was so against Z playing here, and in turn convinced Sather not to bring him back... then why did the Rangers bother to qualify him?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote