HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers walk away from Zherdev arbitration ruling (Update: KHL Rumor False)

Old
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
They'll sneak into the playoffs, but lose in the 1st or 2nd round as usual. Those expecting an offensive explosion will be disappointed as there isn't much top 6 talent outside of gaborik.

Will the rangers ever take it to the "next level" with henrik in his prime? I'm getting a little sick of this mediocrity...
2 words, Dany Heatley, the problem with this team is Sather handed out super star contracts to role players. It's been said Heatley is this and Heatley is that, but none of us are in the locker room to hear how good or bad a teammate he is. I do know one thing, he sure as hell would make this team a lot better.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Chill out...

Everyone needs to chill out about losing Zherdev. This is ridiculous. Everyone is acting like we just lost the second coming of Pavel Bure.

The offseason still has a ways to go and Sather has a plan. You don't just let a guy go and have no plan to replace him or to continue to fix the team. Sather has had a decent offseason so far and now has to show he has a plan as to what he wants to do with the money he now has available. We know he wants to get Dubinsky back and he will. It is known that the team is looking for a playmaking center...there is so much time to go in this offseason it is not even funny. THE MAN HAS A PLAN. He isn't just doing this by the seat of his pants. It would be awesome to fill every need but it may not be a realistic proposition. Its not like Sather is sitting in his office thinking of doing nothing. He is doing what he and Tortorella thinks is right and will work for the team. They know more about everything going on than any of us do.

This team has the talent to replace Zherdev's stats and then some.

Also everyone needs to stop ******** all over Kotalik. The guy hasn't even stepped onto the practice ice in Rye and everyone is on his ass like no other. Give him a chance to play before you start bashing him. $3 million is alot of money but everyone knows that free agents are overpaid for the most part. Everyone here has been wanting a big shot from the point on the power play and now we have one...yet everyone is *****ing. Knock it off and let the guy play first before we start crucifying him.

If I am wrong then you can all come after me but until then knock off the *****ing and moaning...alot of people here sound like Crosby complaining to referees.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
They'll sneak into the playoffs, but lose in the 1st or 2nd round as usual. Those expecting an offensive explosion will be disappointed as there isn't much top 6 talent outside of gaborik.

Will the rangers ever take it to the "next level" with henrik in his prime? I'm getting a little sick of this mediocrity...
Exactly. We've waited long enough for a cup. Yet Sather continues to make us wait longer and longer and longer.

Out of all my favorite teams, the Rangers are the hardest ones to watch, simply because we have one of the best goalies if not thee best in Hank and the rest of team changes each year.

Theres way too much change year after year. Its impossible for these players to build a rapport with each other.

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Or maybe you expect too much from him? He's scored 20 every season he's been in the NHL except one.
For $7mm large you expect more than a 20 goal scorer, intangibles be damned.

I for one am relieved that Z won his freedom. Hopefully he goes on to a productive career where his shy personality doesn't work against him. Looks like our "illustroius GM for Life" outsmarted himself. Imbecile.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Just sign Forsberg so if or when he and Gaborik get hurt they won't be alone.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
We barely made it in last year. I think a rag-tagging of this roster has the potential to bring a different pizzazz and feel to the team, and who knows what will happen.
Uhhh...we finished two points behind the Stanley Cup Champions.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post
But we're most definitely not contenders for the Cup.

this is why Glen Sather is a bad GM, we only had one year when i can remember us saying we are cup contenders when we got Gomez and Drury. And 2 years removed from that, we have a bunch of rookies and a few 20 goal scorers along with Gabrik who has NO chemistry with anyone.

Someone fire Sather pleaseeeeee
Okay, but what did that season provide us, and the year after?? We did not win the cup in those years. Those players were underperforming, so was the Coach. So he got rid of the coach. The new one is trusted to implement his system. He tried to get rid of certain players, got some good ones back.

Obviously, the Gomez/Drury/Shanny/Renney/etc expirament didn't work. Will this one?? Who knows, but right now, it has a chance to pan out well or poorly. I'd rather have those options than stick with a plan that has done anything but, as you would put it, make us contenders for the cup.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post

I for one am relieved that Z won his freedom. Hopefully he goes on to a productive career where his shy personality doesn't work against him. Looks like our "illustroius GM for Life" outsmarted himself. Imbecile.
"Shy" thats a good one.

Dont forget indifferent, lazy, and aloof.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Shy? He was the same player in Columbus as he was here.

08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Uhhh...we finished two points behind the Stanley Cup Champions.
Which was won through great postseason play. This would mean something if they had been the President's Trophy winners too. But it doesn't.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:51 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Do you not think Sather knows that? I mean don't get me wrong, I think Sather is as much of a buffoon as most, but if a worthwhile deal was out there, don't you think he would have taken it?

You have to accept a few realities here. Zherdev has been around for a while. The book is out on him and other GM's know the baggage that comes with the talent. Couple that with the salary cap and it's no surprise that teams aren't knocking down the door to take on a talented $4M headache that may be completely useless come playoff time.
It's very possible that the only deals out there were for similar talented players with baggage, and with the Rangers situation, u have to ask yourself if taking on another one of those players is even worth the trouble.
If you're going to blast a former player at least take a shot at an original thought without regurgiatating misconception and ill-informed assertions. Can you please explain what you mean by "baggage" and "headache?" Seriously, I'm calling you out. Specifics.

Old
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
THE MAN HAS A PLAN. He isn't just doing this by the seat of his pants.

"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane? "

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Yup. Which is why he scored 37 goals in his contract year including a particularly huge goal against a certain team from NY in the post season. 17 PPGs, one of the best FO% in the league, and all of the "intangibles" that people on the sidelines will never really appreciate. That's why Sather had to overpay to get him, lots of teams wanted a 35+ goal scoring Chris Drury.

It's really not a hard concept to grasp.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:52 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf View Post
Pre-lockout we aren't having this discussion. The dynamics of a salary cap system have forever changed how contracts, trades, and team construction are handled. Pre-lockout and Zherdev is either kept or traded for a pick or two. Heck, pre-lockout, even if he was let go and didn't get an offer more than 80% of his qualifying offer the Rangers would have been given the right of first refusal to sign him for the lesser amount. Obviously, in a salary cap market that scenario wouldn't work due to the natural squeezing of salaries.

Post-lockout teams are much more cognizant of contract values versus potential ROI. Every other team assumed that Zherdev was not worth the risk to acquire at $3.9 million. IMO, the arbitrator didn't do his job properly and essentially used a pre-lockout system to come up with the number he did. Almost to a T were all arbitration awards split down the middle between the difference of the two amounts before the salary cap. That doesn't work anymore and the arbitration system needs to be better managed.

Until salaries are normalized, there are going to be certain contracts that don't fit into the system. Zherdev's award was one of them which is why he finds himself as an UFA who will not approach the amount he was awarded on the open market.
Agreed....

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Blueblood 2

Wait till Sather calls Z's agent and offers $2.5 million. Just for giggles. KHL is where he is headed and most GM's know it. They obviously weren't lined up to pay $3.9! He can join Jagr and pray he doesn't need medical assistance on game days.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post
But we're most definitely not contenders for the Cup.

this is why Glen Sather is a bad GM, we only had one year when i can remember us saying we are cup contenders when we got Gomez and Drury. And 2 years removed from that, we have a bunch of rookies and a few 20 goal scorers along with Gabrik who has NO chemistry with anyone.

Someone fire Sather pleaseeeeee
Read the Book It thread...he's not getting fired.

Old
08-04-2009, 01:56 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
3.9 for one year.

He leaves at the end of the season.

Don't fool yourself into thinking he wouldn't have been able to be moved later in the year.

HORRIBLE asset management.

Wow, he saved some cap space.

Cap space he will probably waste on garbage like Voros or Arnason.
And Captain Valium and Redden and Brashear and Kotalik, and on, and on, and on... I wonder if any of the columnist will get their faces out of The Baffoon from Banf-fs ample butt and call him out for his free agent decisions. I agree with the decision to pass on Z, lord knows I couldn't stand a full season of the hate. Add to that there is no room for him. But everything is of The GM's doing. It must be nice to zhit the bed year after year without accountability.

Old
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Torts strikes again. So now it is Nicky Z , Betts , Orr, Freddy the shoe wow they just weren't Torts guys. Torts spoke with Fishler and said I liked Betts I liked Orr lol this guy just seems to lie about his true feelings. He hated Orr with a passion words I got from the player. He shut Orr out and he didn't play him or speak to him the last week of the season. Can you imagine what he did to a fragile Nicky Z? Torts is a bully.
I like Cindy, I like Sarah, I like Judy....but I ain't marrying none of them. So you need a better argument.

I'd also like to add that Kotalik is EXACTLY who Drury needs to play with. Some one who will shoot and who's shot will leave rebounds so Drury can do what he does best. Be a $7million janitor.

Old
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
Un ****ing believable.

I don't care who this guy is, to think that the other additions we've made make Zherdev's 58 points unnecessary is utter *********.

And we get nothing for him. Not even a seventh round draft pick.

I am infuriated by this.

If Gaborik gets injured we could be a lottery team. I hope Gaborik's okay with the tremendous pressure that'll be put on him to score in new york.

So now that Zherdev is gone who do you guys want to make the scapegoat now? Back to Redden? Or should we start with Kotalik right now?
How about Captain Valium, or is that Captain Teflon? How this guys escape continously flies under the radar is baffling.

Old
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

And the loss of Zherdev inevitably leads to a ton of anger on the boards, spreading to the typical anti-Drury posts and anti-Kotalik posts that will eventually stem into anti-Redden posts.

When Drury has another good season, everyone is going to be chill.

is Kotalik at 3 mil better than Zherdev at 3.9? No, but at least we know what we are getting with Kotalik, which is 20-20-40 just about every time, rather than someone who (it seems) doesn't want to play for us anymore.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:

Of course you expect way more than a 20 goal scorer for 7 million, but look at who our GM is. Yeah Drury scored 37 the year before he became an FA, but he only had 2 30 goal seasons in 8 before coming to the Rangers. That being said, I agree that the way the market was set up and our need for a center that getting Drury was the right move AT THE TIME.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Vitto79

after thinking about what happened I can't really get mad

they obviously wanted him at 3.25, he wants more and they won't give him that

so they went out and got other guys in

they obviously waited to the last second to move him in a deal but guess what, no one wanted the guy at that price. I mean deal him for a 7th round pick even

Atleast no one they wanted to deal him to(division rivals could be interested)

I think he goes to the KHL though

I would be cool with using the extra cash obviously to sign Dubinsky for same type of deal as Callahan and then maybe Schneider for a good price to QB the PP

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Blueblood 2

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Torts strikes again. So now it is Nicky Z , Betts , Orr, Freddy the shoe wow they just weren't Torts guys. Torts spoke with Fishler and said I liked Betts I liked Orr lol this guy just seems to lie about his true feelings. He hated Orr with a passion words I got from the player. He shut Orr out and he didn't play him or speak to him the last week of the season. Can you imagine what he did to a fragile Nicky Z? Torts is a bully.

Torts gets to know you by kicking you in the nuts and watching your reaction. Z curled up and whimpered and never stood up again. Bye Bye sweetie..............

Old
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Torts gets to know you by kicking you in the nuts and watching your reaction.
Or throwing a water bottle at you.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Or throwing a water bottle at you.

LOL Good one!