HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikolai Zherdev becomes a UFA

Old
08-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
And I think you could get Lang for less than $3m. He stands a high risk of injury, but since Zherdev only shows up for half a season, it's a wash.
Problem with Lang and Demitra is that both had injuries which extended into the post season; and there's that risk again for this upcoming season.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Even though if any coach could get the most out of Zherdev, I think it would be AV, I just don't think this guy is worth the chance for the money he will likely command.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Why must you ruin my dream?
It is what I do.

My ex-wife used to say the same thing all the time.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Problem with Lang and Demitra is that both had injuries which extended into the post season; and there's that risk again for this upcoming season.
Problem with Zherdev in the postseason is that he's Zherdev; zero points in seven games. And it's not like NY had a lot of other forwards that he was stuck behind.

Even if Lang and Demitra were injured, I'd hazard a bet that Grabner could do better than that on a call up.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Ernie

Breaking news: The Oilers have offered him a $50m, 10 year deal (e5).

Old
08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Hooker

Quote:
Breaking news: The Oilers have offered him a $50m, 10 year deal (e5).
Haha, seriously? Great news for the Canucks.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Payaso619*

I'd like to have him in our line-up for roughly 3M, but the bidding price that he will likely receive puts him in a price tag we just can't match. Would have been nice to see though, on a line with Hodgson or Wellwood.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Problem with Zherdev in the postseason is that he's Zherdev; zero points in seven games..
Tough to get points when Torts plays you 12.5 minutes a game in the post-season.

Old
08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marshall View Post
Haha, seriously? Great news for the Canucks.
Followup: Zherdev turned down the offer because he doesn't want to play in Edmonton (e5).

Old
08-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Definitely if Demitra was somehow moved,d but we can't afford his liking of salary.
move Demitra, Zherdev signing for less than his arbitration salary, or ... is a buyout of Demitra still possible (not sure when the CBA allows for that)?

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:41 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Well, I'd rather have Lang at center and Kesler at wing, than Kesler at center and Zherdev at wing. And I think you could get Lang for less than $3m. He stands a high risk of injury, but since Zherdev only shows up for half a season, it's a wash.

Kesler just looked so much better at wing. Some people attribute that to Sundin. I don't.
Yeah, I think there are positives with each. Lang brings experience and plays a position where the Canucks could look for an upgrade. What I like about Zherdev is that at $3-4 million he's pretty much a sure thing to perform to that level of pay and a decent bet to outperform his contract. I don't think a guy like Lang has that upside.

Quote:
Tough to get points when Torts plays you 12.5 minutes a game in the post-season.
Yeah, that's what I was going to mention. After Tortorella took over Zherdev went from a fixture on the team's offense to a player that struggled to put up points. Maybe it's just coincidence at he was trailing down already, but he only put up 13 points in 28 games with Tortorella behind the bench after scoring 45 in 61 games under Renney (and even that looks generous because he scored 6 points in Tortorella's first 7 games behind the bench). Maybe he just needs a change in scenery.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Followup: Zherdev turned down the offer because he doesn't want to play in Edmonton (e5).
I heard he signed for 1yr 2mil in Calgary instead.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Hooker

What am I missing when I think that Demitra's 53 points in 69 games at $4 million isn't Godawful and Zherdev's 58 points in 82 games at $4+ million isn't amazing?

Old
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
What am I missing when I think that Demitra's 53 points in 69 games at $4 million isn't Godawful and Zherdev's 58 points in 82 games at $4+ million isn't amazing?
Not to mention the advantages of having a player with only one year left on his contract. Demitra leaving will free up the room we need to sign Kesler. Why would anyone want to replace one year of Demitra with several years of Zherdev, especially when the latter could very well completely ruin the locker room. It's puzzling.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Demitra's 50+ points is his *ceiling* given the stage at which his career is at.

Zherdev is 24 years old and has put up roughly 60 point seasons in two consecutive years. 60 points is probably his "floor".

That's the difference.

(and I wouldn't offer Zherdev a much more than $4 million).

Old
08-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Demitra's 50+ points is his *ceiling* given the stage at which his career is at.

Zherdev is 24 years old and has put up roughly 60 point seasons in two consecutive years. 60 points is probably his "floor".

That's the difference.

(and I wouldn't offer Zherdev a much more than $4 million).
What will we do next season if cap goes down or even stays the same, but we need to sign Mitchell, Kesler, and Luongo?

Old
08-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Hooker

Zherdev has 365 NHL games to his resume now and a notorious lack of effort. I don't think he has much development left.

Old
08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What will we do next season if cap goes down or even stays the same, but we need to sign Mitchell, Kesler, and Luongo?
I'm thinking Zherdev will want a one-year deal to try and establish some value. He'll have seven accrued seasons after this year anyway so he'll be a UFA once again next summer, so he can use this season to try and earn himself a more lucrative deal next year.

I'm guessing that nobody wanted him at $3.9 million on a one-year deal or else the Rangers would have likely traded him so I'm thinking he probably won't find anything in that range on the market anyway.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Zherdev has 365 NHL games to his resume now and a notorious lack of effort. I don't think he has much development left.
He's 24 years old. Think it's a bit too soon to write him off as a "bust" (a "bust" who'll put up more points than Demitra).

Now if he (Zherdev) is looking for a long-term deal closer to $5 million - then of course I'll pass. A short one-year deal (as pitseleh mentioned above) would be what I'm suggesting.

Old
08-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
He's 24 years old. Think it's a bit too soon to write him off as a "bust" (a "bust" who'll put up more points than Demitra).
At the moment there's a clear lack of effort on his part, not to mention attitude issues. Demitra is a positive influence on our young players and team overall, why would we want to replace him with a potential cancer?

Old
08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
At the moment there's a clear lack of effort on his part, not to mention attitude issues. Demitra is a positive influence on our young players and team overall, why would we want to replace him with a potential cancer?
How is Demitra a positive influence? He's more of a "neutral" influence at best. Either he's hurt or he goes thru periods of disappearing acts on the ice. Was doing nothing offensively when he was off the Sedin line (until Kesler started to carry the 2nd line by himself).

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 08-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Hooker

Quote:

Now if he (Zherdev) is looking for a long-term deal closer to $5 million - then of course I'll pass. A short one-year deal (as pitseleh mentioned above) would be what I'm suggesting.
I didn't say bust?

Old
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
Quote:
Indeed. Zherdev would not be an upgrade on Demitra, more like a younger sidegrade.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
galiano

The Canucks really need a puck moving defenceman. Last I heard, Zherdev wasn't one of those.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Indeed. Zherdev would not be an upgrade on Demitra, more like a younger sidegrade.
Agreed. We replaced Naslund with Demitra and now people want to replace Demitra with Zherdev?

Why not try something a bit different in our top 6? Go a different direction for a while.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote