HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Will Murray make any more transactions before the season?

Old
08-04-2009, 03:50 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

vCash: 500
Will Murray make any more transactions before the season?

I think so, but very small AHL ones. Seems like the roster is locked for next year.

Thoughts?

c4rcy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Maybe signing a tough bottom 6 player, but even that I doubt.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
I think so, but very small AHL ones. Seems like the roster is locked for next year.

Thoughts?
Seeing as we don't have an AHL team right now anymore AHL signings don't seem likely otherwise Bonino would be under contract. The only signing or move I see him making is re-signing Festerling. Or more likely Festerling taking his qualifying offer. There's nothing else left to do.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
wesott11

I think we have make trade before the season starts. I think one of either ebbet, Carter, or christenson needs to be shipped out. If we could package one of them with one of mikkelson/festerling we should try and aquire a good 3rd line winger.

wesott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesott11 View Post
I think we have make trade before the season starts. I think one of either ebbet, Carter, or christenson needs to be shipped out. If we could package one of them with one of mikkelson/festerling we should try and aquire a good 3rd line winger.
The thing with that is it's not a matter but roster space keeping us from getting another 3rd line player it's budget space. We could sign a Mike Grier or re-sign Rob Niedermayer today but we don't have the money for it. Shipping out one of the players you mentioned won't help us in that regard because they are our cheapest players. Plus we have good third line wingers. We lost Robbie and his spot get taken either by Nokelainen or Carter. Both players are capable of playing that role.

Old
08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
The thing with that is it's not a matter but roster space keeping us from getting another 3rd line player it's budget space. We could sign a Mike Grier or re-sign Rob Niedermayer today but we don't have the money for it. Shipping out one of the players you mentioned won't help us in that regard because they are our cheapest players. Plus we have good third line wingers. We lost Robbie and his spot get taken either by Nokelainen or Carter. Both players are capable of playing that role.
True, but as of right now I see brown taking that 3rd line winger role ahead oh Carter. BUT as of right now I think our third line looks like nokelainen-marchant-(christenson/brown/miller)

I know that christenson sounds wierd, but where else would we put him? He would be a total waste as our 4th line C... And I agree Bringing him in at the deadline was not smart.

My main point is we can't have all of ebbett, Carter and christenson on our roster at once. and keeping any one of them scratched would be a terrible move.

Old
08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Elvs

There could be a couple of AHL signings and maybe a goalie to play in the ECHL. Also, Festerling has yet to re-sign. Then some invites to camp... Nothing more will happen until training camp. If anyone of Miller, Ebbett, Christensen or Carter will be traded, it wont be until the preseason I think. The Ducks re-signed Christensen and he wont even be back to training camp and preseason, so I doubt he will be traded. I don't think Carter will be traded either.

Miller and Ebbett is another story, Ebbett wont produce near what he did last season IMO on the bottom six. Neither is he a type of player that fits as a reserve forward, better having a checking kind of forward there. His low salary is maybe why the Ducks should keep him. Miller I just don't see becoming a shut down winger, and also would he be a long shot to become a 40+ point guy, I'd much rather trade him than Carter.

Last edited by Elvs: 08-04-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Koffein

Quote:
I know that christenson sounds wierd, but where else would we put him? He would be a total waste as our 4th line C... And I agree Bringing him in at the deadline was not smart.
Am I the only one who thought Parros-Christensen-Brown was a great 4th line? Parros and Brown brought the energy play while Christensen made some great offensive plays.

Koffein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
My main point is we can't have all of ebbett, Carter and christenson on our roster at once. and keeping any one of them scratched would be a terrible move.
I don't see why it would be a terrible move at all. Carter was scratched 36 times last year and that worked out just fine, though not for him. Ebbett is out cheapest player needs no seasoning in the minors nor does scratching him hurt his development either. He's 26, this is as good as he's going to be so scratching him won't stunt him at all. Christensen makes a little more than the two but if someone else is pulling their weight more than him I don't have a problem him sitting out a few games. We need guys pushing others for roster spots. I have no problem with this dynamic concerning these three players.

Old
08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
There could be a couple of AHL signings and maybe a goalie to play in the ECHL. Also, Festerling has yet to re-sign. Then some invites to camp... Nothing more will happen until training camp. If anyone of Miller, Ebbett, Christensen or Carter will be traded, it wont be until the preseason I think. The Ducks re-signed Christensen and he wont even be back to training camp and preseason, so I doubt he will be traded. I don't think Carter will be traded either.

Miller and Ebbett is another story, Ebbett wont produce near what he did last season IMO on the bottom six. Neither is he a type of player that fits as a reserve forward, better having a checking kind of forward there. His low salary is maybe why the Ducks should keep him. Miller I just don't see becoming a shut down winger, and also would he be a long shot to become a 40+ point guy, I'd much rather trade him than Carter.
Definatly this.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Elvs

I really hope the Ducks would sign Pettinger though. He would add some size and has some offensive touch. He shouldn't be expensive this far into free agency, signing him should defenitely mean a forward is gone when EC comes back from his injury.

Pettinger - Marchant - Nokelainen/Carter/Brown should have potential to be a good shut down line.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:52 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

In regards to the question of this topic perhaps this quote will sum things up:

Quote:
Ideally, the Ducks would like to add a third-line winger but there does not appear to be a suitable fit, and that likely won’t change going into training camp.
http://ducks.freedomblogging.com/200...91/#more-16791

I personally think we're fine roster-wise at the moment but regardless it looks like Murph is done.

Quote:

He spent the last dozen games and every playoff game in that role, why can't he continue to do it? As for as I'm concerned he's the second best defensive forward on this team right now.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffein View Post
Am I the only one who thought Parros-Christensen-Brown was a great 4th line? Parros and Brown brought the energy play while Christensen made some great offensive plays.
That's the kind of combo I'd like to see out of our forth line this year. We need more offense from that line. We haven't had any kind of consistent offense from the forth line since it included of Getzlaf and Perry. That's the only reason why I feel Christensen was retained for this season given the acquisition of Koivu.

Old
08-04-2009, 08:57 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:

I personally think we're fine roster-wise at the moment but regardless it looks like Murph is done.

He spent the last dozen games and every playoff game in that role, why can't he continue to do it? As for as I'm concerned he's the second best defensive forward on this team right now.
I could see miller being the second best defensive forward IF he got stronger

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:40 PM
ugotmybeef*

upgrade on D would be nice.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:21 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

I think we're pretty much set for the season. As for why he would sign/trade for AHL players when we don't even have an affiliate makes no sense to me. I'm pretty certain that this is the roster we'll be playing with going forward.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Elvs

Quote:

Hmm, don't agree with that, even with Pahlsson, Moen and Rob gone, is Miller even expected to be a player on the pk? I doubt that. I'm not saying he's useless, I just don't think he'll ever be that valuable to the team. Sure there are wingers that made careers as shut down wingers despite being small, but it's not very usual. Miller might turn out to become a good defensive forward, but nothing special that can't be replaced imo. I'm not saying we should trade him, but rather him than Carter and if the Ducks get another bottom six winger like for example Pettinger, Miller or Ebbett is the odd man out for me.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:28 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Hmm, don't agree with that, even with Pahlsson, Moen and Rob gone, is Miller even expected to be a player on the pk? I doubt that. I'm not saying he's useless, I just don't think he'll ever be that valuable to the team. Sure there are wingers that made careers as shut down wingers despite being small, but it's not very usual. Miller might turn out to become a good defensive forward, but nothing special that can't be replaced imo. I'm not saying we should trade him, but rather him than Carter and if the Ducks get another bottom six winger like for example Pettinger, Miller or Ebbett is the odd man out for me.
It's not like I'm basing this on nothing, Miller was on the checking line with Marchant and Robbie for the stretch run and playoffs. He was far from useless in fact he was very effective. Diid you watch the team play during this period?

Old
08-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Elvs

Quote:
It's not like I'm basing this on nothing, Miller was on the checking line with Marchant and Robbie for the stretch run and playoffs. He was far from useless in fact he was very effective. Diid you watch the team play during this period?
That was the period I was most active watching games actually lol. But however, Marchant was the go-to-guy on that line hands down. I have no issues with Miller's defensive game whatsoever, the problem here is IMO, a line of Miller, Marchant, Nokelainen or maybe Carter certainly is a small checking line.

While size isn't everything you'll need on a checking line, it's certainly something you want in there when you are playing heavy top lines. Again, I think the team should wait until preseason until making any more moves, and find out if our new checking line can mold into something. Hopefully Brown can develop further and add some size to the checking line.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:14 AM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
That was the period I was most active watching games actually lol. But however, Marchant was the go-to-guy on that line hands down. I have no issues with Miller's defensive game whatsoever, the problem here is IMO, a line of Miller, Marchant, Nokelainen or maybe Carter certainly is a small checking line.

While size isn't everything you'll need on a checking line, it's certainly something you want in there when you are playing heavy top lines. Again, I think the team should wait until preseason until making any more moves, and find out if our new checking line can mold into something. Hopefully Brown can develop further and add some size to the checking line.
I don't know if you guys have heard or not but Carlyle has said he isn't having a checking line this season and are moving away from the defense first motto and the matching up lines every second of the game. He has openly said he is going to play with 3 scoring lines and one energy line. The reason why we lost to Detroit was because we couldn't keep up with their scoring (even though we came soooooo close!) and I think RC is realizing we have a pretty nasty offensive team. Our top 6 could arguably be the top 3 in the league and seeing Teemu play with someone with the same chemistry as Him and Kariya had will be so exciting! (On a side note, how crazy would it be to see Kariya on the left wing next to Koivu and Teemu? Whether you hate him or not that would be a fun line to watch for 1-2 seasons.)
Overall, this team is set in stone for this season and frankly I think we have a lot to be excited about and this team will be better and funner to watch then last season!
Go Ducks!

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I don't know if you guys have heard or not but Carlyle has said he isn't having a checking line this season and are moving away from the defense first motto and the matching up lines every second of the game. He has openly said he is going to play with 3 scoring lines and one energy line. The reason why we lost to Detroit was because we couldn't keep up with their scoring (even though we came soooooo close!) and I think RC is realizing we have a pretty nasty offensive team. Our top 6 could arguably be the top 3 in the league and seeing Teemu play with someone with the same chemistry as Him and Kariya had will be so exciting! (On a side note, how crazy would it be to see Kariya on the left wing next to Koivu and Teemu? Whether you hate him or not that would be a fun line to watch for 1-2 seasons.)
Overall, this team is set in stone for this season and frankly I think we have a lot to be excited about and this team will be better and funner to watch then last season!
Go Ducks!
I had no idea about this, thanks for the info. We'll just have to wait and see if having 3 scoring lines is a good or a bad thing, but at least it sortens up so many questions on the bottom six. If this is actually true, I think we can expect both Ebbett and Christensen to be in the lineup. Agreed about the top 6, our second line certainly has the potential to be better than half the top lines in the league. Adding Kariya to that line, then this team could have 2 of the 10 best lines in the league lol, but it's not gonna happen. There are still plenty of cap space though, so if this team can contend in the regular season, maybe the Samuelis will allow Murray to go closer to the cap at the deadline, it's a pretty good situation for the Ducks tbh.

Last edited by Elvs: 08-05-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

When did he say that?

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:06 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
When did he say that?
Apparently, during some pillow talk with justheducks.

*bow-chicka-wow-wow* ...

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
When did he say that?
At a best-friends-only night in June in Carlyle's basement while all banged up on rum watching Ice Road Truckers, I'm sure. I guess you didn't get the invite...

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
When did he say that?
He didn't. Here's the OC Register blog entry where Carlyle talks about line combinations.

http://ducks.freedomblogging.com/200...67/#more-16167

Naturally, he's leaving a lot of it up in the air (as he should).

I think justheducks is confusing another article where Murray, not Carlyle, talks about the team's shift to a more offense-oriented lineup in order to compete with the Detroits of the world. The only person who mentioned the "three scoring lines plus an energy line" was the OC Register blogger, and that was speculation.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote