HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are We Blind?!?!

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2004, 04:22 PM
tritone

vCash: 500
Are We Blind?!?!

I just came back from reading some threads on the Bruins board....They seem to think that the refs were calling in favor of the HABS?!!?!?!??!

The Thornton hit on Begin was apparently clean to the fans of beanedness and there shouldn't have been a Ward penalty shot.

Furthermore , one would get the impression that the HABS provided more nasty play to Thornton than he did toward the Habs

And here I was thinking only Toronto fans and Habs fans had this blinded by love of their team capacity.

Am I wrong ? It seems to me that those nasty B's got away with a lot of clutching, grabbing and downright nastiness . The Habs weren't angels either but I don't see any need for either side to be saying that the Reffing was one-sided, I thought it was equally worthless .
Any comments on this? Has anyone else read the threads on the B's board?

Old
03-28-2004, 04:24 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Who cares about Bruins fans? They're just reliving the 2001-2002 Playoffs and it's making them cranky.

Old
03-28-2004, 04:25 PM
KariyaIsGod*

You're not blind, you're just biased. The hit was embellished. Thornton barely hit the guy...

Old
03-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
I don't think the refs were extremely bad, but they were pretty close to it. I am biased on this topic because I want Kerry Frasier dea.... ummm I meen gone . Damn zebra's can't do their jobs

Old
03-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Habzfanatic

Obviously, I am a Habs fan. Thorntons hit didnt even deserve a penalty let alone a major. The penalty shot was justified though.

Old
03-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Habzfanatic

Biggest problem with B's fans is they think of Raycroft as a savior, and even compare him to Theo . They seem to forget Delguidace, Lacher,Carey and Dafoe. Let Raycroft be our secret weapon if we meet them in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Who cares what their fans think??

There's already been at least 1 thread on this same subject

Old
03-28-2004, 04:50 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habzfanatic
Biggest problem with B's fans is they think of Raycroft as a savior, and even compare him to Theo . They seem to forget Delguidace, Lacher,Carey and Dafoe. Let Raycroft be our secret weapon if we meet them in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Who cares what their fans think??

There's already been at least 1 thread on this same subject

I care about one Bruins fan's thoughts: JOHNNY V

Old
03-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Perfect_Gravity

I can see why they would be upset about the penalty shot. Regulary if they player get's a shot on net then it's not a penalty shot, but aperently the refs have been instructed to give more penalty shots. That's what the article on Canada.com said about why the ref called the penalty shot

Old
03-28-2004, 05:07 PM
chicpea*

I recall when growing up that I used to see maybe 1 penalty shot per season. Now, reading the boxscores over at nhl.com it seems like their is at least one penalty shot per day. It's unreal. It's pretty obvious that the refs have been instructed to call this more often. Sure it's exciting. But it's these little unannounced 'alterations' that chip away at the credibility of the game I would say (as a purist). What do you guys and gals think?

Old
03-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Kirk Muller

Not blind, but like all fans biased. We are biased, the bruins fans are biased, that is why they see things completely different. Funny how none of them seem to mention Axelsson clipping Zednik, which really started everything. It could have been a disasterous knee to knee, and that is why Perreault responded, too bad he mistakenly hit Thornton. Fraser missing that lead to Perreault, then if Fraser would have called Thornton for punching a couple hab players in the head during the scrum, Joe wouldn't have had a chance to run Begin. Mr. Thornton came from outside the blueline and hit a defenseless Begin, whether it was 5 and a game, or a minor was the refs discretion, but something had to be called.

The refs lost control, they were bad on both sides all game, that I don't think can be disputed.

Old
03-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Habsolution

When both teams fans are complaining and you remember who was reffing 1 week after the game it's because the refs didn't do their job. I think everyone will agree on that.

Old
03-28-2004, 06:37 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Not blind, but like all fans biased. We are biased, the bruins fans are biased, that is why they see things completely different. Funny how none of them seem to mention Axelsson clipping Zednik, which really started everything. It could have been a disasterous knee to knee, and that is why Perreault responded, too bad he mistakenly hit Thornton. Fraser missing that lead to Perreault, then if Fraser would have called Thornton for punching a couple hab players in the head during the scrum, Joe wouldn't have had a chance to run Begin. Mr. Thornton came from outside the blueline and hit a defenseless Begin, whether it was 5 and a game, or a minor was the refs discretion, but something had to be called.

The refs lost control, they were bad on both sides all game, that I don't think can be disputed.

GREAT CALL NASH, YOUR RIGHT THEY WERE BAD ON BOTH SIDES....

Old
03-28-2004, 06:39 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
I care about one Bruins fan's thoughts: JOHNNY V

I LOVE YOU AND THEO .

Old
03-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Habzfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
point proven

Old
03-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
I LOVE YOU AND THEO .
I don't know about Theo, but I love you too Johnny.:p

Old
03-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Mike8

shrug. I thought the Bruins were a little dirty last night. It seemed every time there was a scrum a Bruin player speared an opponent when the refs came in to break things up.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:18 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13

well, seing as how u already stated you are bias, it will save some time in this thread.

If you watch the replay (along with Begin's oscar showing) (broadstreetbully has the clips, excellent angles to) Axy had him lined up for the hit and Zednik tried going around him, and if you watch the hit right before they make contact, Axy pulls he legs in, not out, and Zednick goes end over thi stick. A tripping penalty, ya sure, but again, as u said, most fans are bias, nut say Axy tried to hit knee on knee, or tried taking his legs out, or anything esle that insinuates it was intentional is pure crap (and i am not saying you in particular, but read some of your brethen's take on the play.)

And as far as it being what started everything, the point is mute. Thornon jabs Markov (if i remember correclty) for a a bunch of slashing and whacking that he got away with a few years ago, and montreal fans still want Thorntons head on a platter and label him as "one of the dirtiest" players in the league.

Funny,but all you montreal fans who defend Perrault and say it was the heat of the moment, and all started by Axy, and it was just Perrault sticking up for his team mate but still consider Thornton dirty with the stick for defending himself really crack me up.

I even read on here how Thornton followed him and charged him from center ice with the sole intent of huritng him, i mean u want to talk bias and way off base???

The ones that are even funnier are the ones saying Boston was playin cheap and dirty all night and just trying to 'goon it up' and 'intimadate' Mont. That really makes we wonder what game some of u were watching.

but back to the original question, i think, from a B's stand point (because i can list penalties that should have been called against boston and weren't) what really piss's us off as fans, were the disaprity between calls and lack of consistency.

The penalty shot was a minor border line hook, plain and simple, and as Bruins a fan, my beef is you want to call it that, fine, but call the same thing at the othe rend of the ice, How mant times did Thronton have a montreal sweater draped all over him preventing him from making any type of play on net?? If you going to call the penalty shot (witch in a low scoring game is a huge advantage) at least call the other minor penalties.

And to give Thornton the a 5 and intent to injure and kick our best player out for a another questionable call, yet not even call Gonchar getting boarded, the montreal defensemen that was punching the back of lapointes head, the slash on green for finishing his check, and to not give the same intent to injure penalty to perrault for cross-checking joe in the face, thats what piss's me off.

Not so much the desparity bewteen the calls, or all the calls that were blatant and not called., but the advantage that was given to montreal on those calls.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Gros Bill

It's nice to have an unbiased opinion

Old
03-29-2004, 08:29 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habzfanatic
point proven

so tp prove your point then, can you explain to me why Bruins fans shouldnt be as high on Raycroft as Mont fans were on Theodore in his rookie season?

Old
03-29-2004, 09:15 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
so tp prove your point then, can you explain to me why Bruins fans shouldnt be as high on Raycroft as Mont fans were on Theodore in his rookie season?
I don't think anyone was all that high on Theo in his rookie season. He showed flashes of brilliance and had tons of potential, but by no means was he pegged as a superstar. 2001-2002 was when he really broke out.

Old
03-29-2004, 10:01 AM
skidboot

there are questionable calls every game, all season.

B's fans always complain anyways.

When you haven't won a Stanley Cup since the early 70's well it must be the refs fault ya know.

Old
03-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot

When you haven't won a Stanley Cup since the early 70's well it must be the refs fault ya know.
Right on! Bunch of crybabies...

Old
03-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Necrophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot

When you haven't won a Stanley Cup since (decades ago) well it must be the refs fault ya know.
I like how you write B's fans, as it correctly represents both the Bruins and the Buds.

I know your tricks!

Closed Thread